• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #62: News from China

Greetings!

Last week I talked about how we’re adding China to the world of Crusader Kings II without actually extending the map any farther. When you are playing in the Orient, you would be wise to remember the “Divine Land” to the east. Indeed, from time to time, you will be getting tidings about the situation in China so that you can plan accordingly. China has a Status and a Policy. The latter rarely changes except when a new emperor ascends to the Dragon Throne (or when the Western Governorate either wins or loses a major war.) By far the most common Policy is “Open”, which means it’s business as usual; China is open to trade and the Silk Road is active. Moreover, the emperor is interested in maintaining the tributary system and in conducting diplomacy with the barbarian periphery. However, some Chinese administrations favor a “Closed” Policy. At such times, the Silk Road will be shut down and the emperor will not deal with foreign rulers. Neither will China attempt any form of military adventures beyond its borders. Lastly, and most rarely, China may adopt an “Expansionist” Policy. This is a time of great peril for rulers near the Chinese border, who would be well advised to swallow their pride and kowtow to the emperor, accepting tributary status before the Western Governorate is expanded with extreme force...

DDJurchens.png

Chinese Policy should be seen as a political stance, but China also has a “Status”, which is beyond the emperor’s control. For example, China can be struck by famine, plague, unrest, Civil Wars and invasions by Mongols and Jurchens, and it can also sometimes experience a “Golden Age”. All of these states have an impact on China’s behavior and on the Silk Road. For example, if China suffers from famine, income from the Silk Road is drastically lowered, and players should watch out for the conclusion to a Chinese Civil War or Altaic invasion; it is not unheard of for a displaced dynasty or losing faction to seek refuge in the West… More on that in a later dev diary. I believe that will do it for today. Next week we’ll go into details about how you interact with China and what’s in it for you!

I know I'm late to ask a question (and it may have already been asked) but I just thought of a question despite the fact of me having read it on Monday so I hope a dev or someone with enough knowledge can answer it effectively.

Obviously when the policy is open epidemics spread more easily on the Silk Road and when the policy is closed the spread of epidemics is unaffected by the Silk Road. However, my question is how does the status of China effect the spread of disease along the Silk Road? For example, if China is affected by famine and the policy is open, does disease spread slower than it normally would along the Silk Road due to the reduced amount of traders and trade goods coming in (represented by the reduced income)?

皇帝 is different from emperor . in china,皇帝 is the son of celestial,it has the highest right.everyone is his people on the world. none can crown him.Roman Emperor,Holy Roman Emperor,the Sultans.the (great)Khan and other rules also are the people of 皇帝
In practice, the emperor can call another country's leader brother or daddy, or even be a vassal.

Realistically, how would you contact them? Why would you, as a ruler or vassal lord/duke in a land as far away as Europe, if you were able to contact them at all, want to marry the princess of a royal family you've never heard of, a princess who doesn't even speak a language spoken anywhere in Europe? Plus, the Chinese royal family would most likely never even consider the thought of marrying one of their princesses to some weird lord from a faraway land they've barely heard much about. It's just not realistic.
like the idea but very unlikely
they wouldn't put much effort into sunset invasion

At one point they obtained silk worms and began producing themselves from what I understand. I'm not sure when they started though. That said if you mean the silk road, it traded more than just silk.
They began in the reign of justinian, long before ck2 began

Can we get an option that completely deactivates the free content that might come with the DLC?

Can we get an option that completely deactivates the free content that might come with the DLC?

About two hours after your post..
Dev diary #63 covers that more or less:
Finally I’d like to say that many of these features will be controllable by Game Rules. If you want to disable the Diplomatic Range of China and gain Grace as a count in Ireland you will be able to do so - the same if you do not wish to have China launch any invasions, along with many other things. And as always, if you have any ideas/questions/concerns for Game Rules relating to the features presented in the DD, feel free to suggest them here!

That's impossible except SONG when china united 。if china is united ,one of other country may call their rule "皇帝“ ,This means war ,because there is only one 皇帝 in this world
Early Han and Tang Emperors referred to the Xiongnu and the Tujue respectively as brothers due to practical realities.In the case of the Han Dynasty,this relationship wasn't ended until Emperor Wu's reign.For the Tang Dynasty,it wasn't ended sometime later in Li Shimin's reign when he smashed them--the guy basically had to acknowledge the Tujue Khan as a brother and pay tribute to him because of Tujue invasions early in his reign.

皇帝 is different from emperor . in china,皇帝 is the son of celestial,it has the highest right.everyone is his people on the world. none can crown him.Roman Emperor,Holy Roman Emperor,the Sultans.the (great)Khan and other rules also are the people of 皇帝
For one, everything that we conventionally call an "emperor" or an "empire" in English is given as 皇帝 or 帝国 in Chinese. The words have different roots because the Western and Chinese cultural backgrounds are so different, but in modern translations the two are considered comparable. In the same way 王 is interchangeable with English "king" even though, again, the historical roots of the two are very different.

Two, as much as I would like a Chinese localization for CK2, putting Chinese characters into other languages' localizations will only cause problems. Transliteration will actually be better at getting knowledge across.

Three, the differences between 皇帝 and Roman-style Emperor are complicated and take a lot of cultural knowledge on both sides to really appreciate. It's not something you can expect the average gamer to understand.

We know and no one cares what bothers you or not.

Emperor is a perfectly good translation. Even Chinese translate Roman Emperor as Luoma Huangdi 罗马皇帝, Holy Roman Emperor as Shengsheng Luoma Huangdi 神圣罗马皇帝, or Byzantine Emperor as Baizhangting Huangdi 拜占庭皇帝.

Perfect point! 皇帝 means the "Emperor" to the most extend, despite people may suggest some other connotations. "Celestial Son" is precisely the "天子", and that's another title not discussed here.

Last edited:
There have been many claims of universal rulership from many cultures. The persians claimed it (king of kings does not mean king of some kings it means king of all kings) Ashoka claimed it (Chakravarti), and as stated the chinese claimed it. There may be others I am not aware of, but the point is none of them have been even nearly universal rulers, it's just bragging.
The chinese emperor have bene giving gifts to nomad powers for millenia to stop them from invading. It's not called tribute because the universal ruler does not pay tribute he is paid tribute, in fact the universal ruler sometimes gave these nomads gifts so that they could repay him a lesser tribute so he could claim that they were his tributaries.
It's a farce.
Sure China may not have accepted any of these as their equal but I very much doubt many of the holders of those titles have accepted China as their superior and a fair number of them have probably not even recognized the emperor of china as their equal.
It's more of a statement about their own ego than about their power.

Last edited: