• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #103 - Long live the King!

Greetings.

Today we will put Pagans aside, go back to good old Catholics, and explore one of the new features coming for them with Holy Fury: Coronation Ceremonies.

20180730085127_1.jpg

With this expansion, succeeding to the throne of a Catholic Kingdom or Empire will not be a simple matter of gaining the title itself. The new ruler will need to organize a Coronation Ceremony (via new intrigue decision) and be recognized as legitimate by a notable member of the Catholic Church.
If a Catholic ruler fails to be officially crowned, he will see his popularity slowly fade away each year, as his vassals grow more and more restless under what they perceive as an illegitimate King.

20180730085152_1.jpg

Coronation is divided into two phases: preparation and ceremony.
During the preparation, the ruler will decide whom he wishes to be crowned by, he will meet the Church’s demands, and invest money to organize the ceremony. In the second phase, the ruler will host the ceremony itself, interacting with guests and ultimately receiving his crown.

When organizing a ceremony, a Catholic King can choose between three possible options when it comes to officiant priests: he can be crowned by a low-status theocratic vassal within his realm, by a powerful theocratic vassal within his realm (such as a Cardinal, Antipope or Prince-Bishop), or by the Pope himself. Catholic Emperors who fail to enact the Free Investiture succession on the other hand will be limited in their selection only to the Pope.
While being crowned by a local Bishop is a lot less prestigious, it is also much cheaper, as higher-ranking members of the Church will be prone to make outlandish requests, especially if they dislike the ruler requesting them to officiate his coronation.

Coronation2.jpg

Requests may vary a lot, especially when it comes to the Pope: the Holy Father might ask you to change your realm’s Investiture laws, wage war against an Excommunicated ruler on behalf of the Papacy, or to restore some of the Central Italian provinces to the Holy See.
Be sure to be in good relations with the Pope before asking for a coronation if you wish to receive a more tolerable offer.

Once the demands of your chosen priest have been met, you will be able to select a budget for your ceremony which will determine the kind of coronation you will receive, the kind of flavor events tied to it and the number of guests participating in it.
An extravagant coronation is a prestigious event to which all your vassals, courtiers and even neighboring Christian rulers are invited, a secluded coronation is a private feast to which only your Council will have access to.

20180730091014_1.jpg

Once the ceremony has been concluded, your character will receive a specific trait tied to the priest that crowned him, as well as retain any additional perks granted by the flavor events experienced during the feast leading up to the coronation.

You might have noticed from the screenshots that this new mechanic affects character portraits as well: Catholic Kings and Emperors that have not been crowned will no longer wear the high-tier headgear in Holy Fury, defaulting to the Ducal band instead until their rank has been officially recognized by the Church (naturally, if you do not own Holy Fury, Catholic Kings and Emperors will wear the appropriate gear by default as before).

20180730091758_1.jpg

This is not the only portrait-related addition though: Holy Fury will bring to the game a series of special crown artifacts that will be visible on portraits whenever the characters are wearing them. Most of these artifacts can only be used when the character meets certain requirements and they are often tied to a specific title rather than a character’s dynasty.

Coronation6.jpg

Coronation7.jpg

And this should be about it for this week.

I have been waiting for this for ages! Though I would rather see the king of France with his king tier to see the difference. Am I right that I see that his vassals have 3 different duke tier crowns (Duke of Flanders NOT included) because I heard there would be more headgears and they look different to me.
Another question: in the swiss region is that the "kingdom of Switzerland" (formable "stem-duchie-like")

Coronations are tied to the ruler himself, so gaining a new title does not require another ceremony. While this is not exactly historical, having different ceremonies, traits, etc. for every King or Emperor tier title that a ruler has (or gains after his first coronation) might get very frustrating for a player.

That makes sense but that is not what i meant. Say you are a duke and gain a king title with a weak claim, do you get a lesser modifier after coronation opposed to coronation with a strong cliam? or is it you are coronated no questions asked?

Here is the King post-Coronation.
Coronation8.jpg

That makes sense but that is not what i meant. Say you are a duke and gain a king title with a weak claim, do you get a lesser modifier after coronation opposed to coronation with a strong cliam? or is it you are coronated no questions asked?
Ah, yes, now I understand. No, the way in which the title is gained does not affect the Coronation. Even if you usurped a title with a weak claim from its rightful owner, if you get crowned by the Pope in an extravagant coronation, you will get the all the perks of such an illustrious coronation.

Is there a reason this is only for Catholics and not for Pagans as well? I understand it wouldn't make sense for all reformed Pagans, but I don't see why you wouldn't want your rule to be recognized by the head of your religion (assuming you have one). If you're the head itself, then obviously it'd be a bit silly; but other people could still come to you to be crowned. Getting crowned by your high priest or pagan council seems logical enough to me, but I suppose that's a bit fantastical.

Can we rename holy fury to ck+ ?
I know I'm probably more biased towards this than other people, but even I must admit that this would not really be fitting.
CK2+ does have coronations, yes, and saints and some other features that Holy Fury offers as well in one way or another.
However, Holy Fury does bring other features as well which have no counterpart whatsoever in CK2+, for example bloodlines and Pagan fighter guilds. Of course one could argue that there are other mods that offer similar features.
So you could more fittingly call Holy Fury "Best of CK2 Mods"+, as it will bring many of the most-beloved community mod ideas to vanilla, while still offering some unique things - like for example the wearable headgears shown in this very dev diary (which are very cool btw!), and other features like expanded pagan reformation which mods have not (yet) tackled, or which mods could not have done in this dept because of hardcoded limitations.

I'm definitely not one to argue that Holy Fury was not influenced by anything from CK2's faithful modding community as I find that to ring a bit hollow (just like for example J. R. R. Tolkien was known to have fervently denied any accusations of him having borrowed any ideas from older fantasy tales or works like Beowulf), but lets not oversimplify things:
CK2+ is not Holy Fury, and if anything, Holy Fury is inspired by the CK2 (modding) community.

This DLC can't get any ant better! Well maybe it can...
1: A new 976 start date would be cool.
2: A fix to regnal names of the HRE. Lothair I-Lothair II, Charles II-Charles IV, Ludwig I-Ludwig IV
But in all seriousness this has to be one of the best dlcs paradox has ever released!

The mechanic itself is meant to handle the often antagonistic relations between secular rulers and the clergy, and the influence that the Church had when it came to legitimizing rulers, that is why it focuses on Catholics.

An antagonistic relationship like the Byzantine emperors and the patriarch didn't sometimes have!?!? Did the Orthodox church have no influence over that? Yea okay the Byzantine Emperor was markedly less secular than most western monarchs, but he was still no Caliph he was still a secular ruler when you got down to it.

And in a game where Orthodoxy is admittingly lacking a certain amount of flair, it completely blows my mind that this would be held back from the very place it is descended from.

This was one of the, if not the premier Christian states of the Middle Ages, coronations were a big deal for them, pomp and prestige were a big deal to them. They had entire mechanisms for quickly changing apparel just to impress diplomats that came in.

But they don't get coronations because it represents something they also had????

whaaaat?

This baffles me.

I can understand that pagans don't get it, but this is the Byzantine Emperor ffs!

Are coronations limited to king and emperor tier Feudal characters, or do Tribals and Republics get them too? I am guessing that Tribal Catholics will need coronation, but that republics will not.

What can we look forward to next week?

So you could more fittingly call Holy Fury "Best of CK2 Mods"+, as it will bring many of the most-beloved community mod ideas to vanilla, while still offering some unique things - like for example the wearable headgears shown in this very dev diary (which are very cool btw!), and other features like expanded pagan reformation which mods have not (yet) tackled, or which mods could not have done in this dept because of hardcoded limitations..

Personally, I'm glad that Paradox are bringing features from successful mods to vanilla. This allows people to experience rich features right off the bat, with achievements if they so please, and more importantly means they're monitoring the community and checking on features that people want.

Coronations are tied to the ruler himself, so gaining a new title does not require another ceremony. While this is not exactly historical, having different ceremonies, traits, etc. for every King or Emperor tier title that a ruler has (or gains after his first coronation) might get very frustrating for a player.
I agree. But should we restrict to be crowned twice at most. Like say if crowned as a king, then later succeed higher title and should be crowned again as an emperor. Cause the empire title is the most important. just like Charlemagne when he form the holy roman empire.

The reason because it's just for Christians and not for pagans, it's because we need uniqueness.

Plus historically it makes no sense for pagan tribes to prove their rule as heaven sent when the entire tribal society is based around prestige to build and summon and armies...

It seems that everytime a new mechanic is added, someone will at some point advocate for the pagans, claiming that they practice/had it too.

Haven't the pagans received enough recently that you, maybe, can just leave coronations to Catholics?