• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ever wanted your citizens could easily switch between transportation types? With new hub buildings, now they can! There are several types: Ferry Bus Hub for ferries and buses, Monorail Bus Hub for monorails and buses, End-of-Line station and multi-platform station for trains that also have a metro stop, and the ultimate hub which has train, monorail and metro stops. The idea behind the hubs is that placing two stops or stations close by to allow citizens to transfer wastes time and space, so having a hub with several types of transport on one lot is very efficient. When citizens can switch transports easily on the same lot, they do not need to find their way to another building, possibly hindering traffic while doing so, as they might need to cross roads. You don’t even need to connect all transport types the hub supports, it can be used as a regular stop on station and you can keep the other transport options for the future. The bus hubs support many lines on one hub building. Both the Monorail Bus Hub and the Ferry Bus Hub have several platforms for different lines to stop at, so your buses don’t have to line up to queue to one stop.

007.png

Monorail Bus Hub

The new railway buildings, the end-of-line and multiplatform stations, have the possibility for different lines to you different platforms. This, combined with the new setting for accepting or not accepting intercity trains, gives much more control over train traffic. No more trains lining up to get to a station, they can have their own lanes! And as there are also one-way train tracks, there are even more possibilities.

001.png

Multiplatform train station

002.png

Trains on many platforms

And my absolute favourite features: stop signs and choosing if intersections have traffic lights! Before it was just that whoever went first in an intersection got to go. Now you can have a say in this. When in the Routes infoview, when you zoom in on an intersection, small buttons pop up. The center one controls if the intersection has traffic lights or not. If traffic lights are off, you can place stop signs to choose who goes first. Basically all traffic coming from behind a stop sign needs to actually stop before proceeding to the intersection. I have found this to be especially useful in roundabouts (well, that is kind of expected, as the game roundabouts used to not work like IRL roundabouts) when you can let the busiest street feeding the roundabout enter freely and have others stop. Or when you want a main street, where traffic has right of way, and all intersecting roads stop before joining. For this, there’s a shortcut, because it simply is not fun if you have a very long road and would need to go and click on each stop sign at each intersection. When you click on the road name, you can not only re-name it, but also set it as a priority road. This automatically sets stop signs to every road joining the selected road. By turning priority road off, all signs are removed, but you can also set priority on and then just go and remove a couple of signs if you feel that helps traffic best. The road will no longer be a priority road, meaning that the setting is off, but all of the signs set by the setting are still there and you can adjust them manually.

012.png

Stop signs in an intersection

If managing intersections is not your thing, you don’t ever need to touch the intersection rules. But if you are like me and can spend hours on adjusting the road network to get the traffic to work perfectly (though there’s always something to tweak, as the city needs change with aging citizens), you might really love this feature. The changes are instant, so you can try different combinations, then observe how they work, and adjust. The traffic reacts fast.

013.png

The naming of Cool Street

And as I mentioned naming roads, that is also a thing now! Every road gets assigned a name when the update is installed. If you want to change a name, just click on it, the logic is the same as with everything else in the game. Clicking on the name in the info window lets you rename basically anything it the game. If for some reason your road is cut up or the system does not understand what you need to be one road, you can adjust it by choosing Adjust road in the info panel and redefining what is considered to be one road.

Road names, intersection settings, hub buildings… I do hope you are as excited for this expansion as I am!

PS. Try naming a road Steve. It’s fun, I promise!

EDIT: Changed yield rules to stop signs to make the feature clearer. I had used the term yield, when in the end we went with stop signs, not yield signs. Sorry about that, totally my fault!

Cheers,
Karoliina

Lead Designer of Cities: Skylines

Attachments

• 005.png
    005.png
    3,9 MB · Views: 1.291
Last edited:
Hi @Co_Karoliina,

Great news, I had only builded one city with CS, mostly because of the transit mess in end game and had never played again. It seems Mass Transit is a very good step for me to play again. So thank you to the CO team, I've got an affair with city builders and I'm happy to will want play again.

Hi @Co_Karoliina,

Great news, I had only builded one city with CS, mostly because of the transit mess in end game and had never played again. It seems Mass Transit is a very good step for me to play again. So thank you to the CO team, I've got an affair with city builders and I'm happy to will want play again.
Yes I feel this is going to bring many players back into the game! I hope it also brings many new players in the game!

I thought there would be more Dev Diaries. The new DLC will have new scenarios and I don't remember them being mentioned here. Neither all the new roads types. Oh there are also new unique buildings like museums. I'm talking based on this:

Last edited:
I thought there would be more Dev Diaries. The new DLC will have new scenarios and I don't remember them being mentioned here. Neither all the new roads types. Oh there are also new unique buildings like museums. I'm talking based on this:

Back when this all started, they said every two weeks, and it has been every two weeks. They also said they might go to weekly when it got closer to release, but they would not know for sure until it actually got closer to release time. Theoretically, tomorrow could be one "weekly" dev diary, should they choose to say anything more before release. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Back when this all started, they said every two weeks, and it has been every two weeks. They also said they might go to weekly when it got closer to release, but they would not know for sure until it actually got closer to release time. Theoretically, tomorrow could be one "weekly" dev diary, should they choose to say anything more before release. Time will tell.

Tomorrow I expect the Release Trailer video!

strange... the behavior of the monorails at the station at the very beginning of this video... and the cable cars looke very strage with the wrong tilting.

but i cant wait to get this DLC!

strange... the behavior of the monorails at the station at the very beginning of this video

You mean both pulling into the same station on the same track at the same time? Yeah. Not great behavior.

Maybe the dude accidentally set it so both lines go through one track?

It's probably because both monorails are ending their route at that station (from opposite directions of course), then reversing back to where they came from.

With two platforms, they could have used opposite sides. Maybe. We will see tomorrow.

Regardless if it was an error in route planning or not, one still should have had to wait for the other when they use the same side.

Seems odd that the green one switched tracks to reverse direction before entering the station, and the red one did it when it departed the station.