• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ever wanted your citizens could easily switch between transportation types? With new hub buildings, now they can! There are several types: Ferry Bus Hub for ferries and buses, Monorail Bus Hub for monorails and buses, End-of-Line station and multi-platform station for trains that also have a metro stop, and the ultimate hub which has train, monorail and metro stops. The idea behind the hubs is that placing two stops or stations close by to allow citizens to transfer wastes time and space, so having a hub with several types of transport on one lot is very efficient. When citizens can switch transports easily on the same lot, they do not need to find their way to another building, possibly hindering traffic while doing so, as they might need to cross roads. You don’t even need to connect all transport types the hub supports, it can be used as a regular stop on station and you can keep the other transport options for the future. The bus hubs support many lines on one hub building. Both the Monorail Bus Hub and the Ferry Bus Hub have several platforms for different lines to stop at, so your buses don’t have to line up to queue to one stop.

007.png

Monorail Bus Hub

The new railway buildings, the end-of-line and multiplatform stations, have the possibility for different lines to you different platforms. This, combined with the new setting for accepting or not accepting intercity trains, gives much more control over train traffic. No more trains lining up to get to a station, they can have their own lanes! And as there are also one-way train tracks, there are even more possibilities.

001.png

Multiplatform train station

002.png

Trains on many platforms

And my absolute favourite features: stop signs and choosing if intersections have traffic lights! Before it was just that whoever went first in an intersection got to go. Now you can have a say in this. When in the Routes infoview, when you zoom in on an intersection, small buttons pop up. The center one controls if the intersection has traffic lights or not. If traffic lights are off, you can place stop signs to choose who goes first. Basically all traffic coming from behind a stop sign needs to actually stop before proceeding to the intersection. I have found this to be especially useful in roundabouts (well, that is kind of expected, as the game roundabouts used to not work like IRL roundabouts) when you can let the busiest street feeding the roundabout enter freely and have others stop. Or when you want a main street, where traffic has right of way, and all intersecting roads stop before joining. For this, there’s a shortcut, because it simply is not fun if you have a very long road and would need to go and click on each stop sign at each intersection. When you click on the road name, you can not only re-name it, but also set it as a priority road. This automatically sets stop signs to every road joining the selected road. By turning priority road off, all signs are removed, but you can also set priority on and then just go and remove a couple of signs if you feel that helps traffic best. The road will no longer be a priority road, meaning that the setting is off, but all of the signs set by the setting are still there and you can adjust them manually.

012.png

Stop signs in an intersection

If managing intersections is not your thing, you don’t ever need to touch the intersection rules. But if you are like me and can spend hours on adjusting the road network to get the traffic to work perfectly (though there’s always something to tweak, as the city needs change with aging citizens), you might really love this feature. The changes are instant, so you can try different combinations, then observe how they work, and adjust. The traffic reacts fast.

013.png

The naming of Cool Street

And as I mentioned naming roads, that is also a thing now! Every road gets assigned a name when the update is installed. If you want to change a name, just click on it, the logic is the same as with everything else in the game. Clicking on the name in the info window lets you rename basically anything it the game. If for some reason your road is cut up or the system does not understand what you need to be one road, you can adjust it by choosing Adjust road in the info panel and redefining what is considered to be one road.

Road names, intersection settings, hub buildings… I do hope you are as excited for this expansion as I am!

PS. Try naming a road Steve. It’s fun, I promise!

EDIT: Changed yield rules to stop signs to make the feature clearer. I had used the term yield, when in the end we went with stop signs, not yield signs. Sorry about that, totally my fault!

Cheers,
Karoliina

Lead Designer of Cities: Skylines

Attachments

• 005.png
    005.png
    3,9 MB · Views: 1.291
Last edited:
Wondering why the team decided not to include YIELD signs. Stops signs will slow traffic flow way too much. Seems like a really simple addition.... especially considering multiple mods have the feature.

If for some reason your road is cut up or the system does not understand what you need to be one road, you can adjust it by choosing Adjust road in the info panel and redefining what is considered to be one road.

Can you explain a little more about what you mean here? I have been wondering if we have to assign road names on a segment by segment basis (which could take a really long time and be pretty tedious), or if it will be possible to quickly assign a single road name to a chain of connected street segments. I am hoping that you're saying here that we will have a tool to assign street names to multiple segments at a time and that it will also be easy to quickly redefine a street name. That would be awesome news! (Even more so if the street names can be automatically exported to mapmaking mods.) Really excited for the expansion in any event.

The (usefulness of the feature)/(amount of work) ratio would have been so much greater is the team had worked on yield signs and metro stations, instead of working on balloons.

This dlc still looks ok-ish after Snowfall and Natural Disasters anyway.

I am very excited about this update! But! There is so much more to be added! Hopefully we see faster updates! More DLC! More content packs! I can not wait to see what the future of this game is!

The (usefulness of the feature)/(amount of work) ratio would have been so much greater is the team had worked on yield signs and metro stations, instead of working on balloons.

This dlc still looks ok-ish after Snowfall and Natural Disasters anyway.

Lol... looking at the number of people not agreeing with you is comical.

So you people prefer to have blimps... that make no sense (where in the world have you seen blimps used for mass transportation ????)... than the possibility to use yeld signs.
Remember that roundabouts that actually work can only be made using those... for two years you've been playing a game that is mostly about transportation and traffic... but you don't care about roundabouts really working and prefer balloons ?????? :confused:

Last edited:
I can't wait for this. I've been dying for the ability to tweak traffic and place traffic signals. Wish we can make/change lane assignments, and add turn signals. Will we have metro connection stations?

This really needs priority signs, not just stop signs. Efficient roundabouts allow traffic to flow without needing to stop unless there's traffic in the way. If there's a stop sign traffic will have to stop even if there is no crossing traffic and that is inefficient.

Other than that, really looking forward to this!

I think you are mostly on a right way with MASS-TRANSIT, but a few things I don't understand:

Why no YIELD-sign?
Why no TRAM-Hubs?
Why no VEHICLE-UNBUNCHING for public transport?

I think, these are things we must have ingame!

Nice additions but the TrafficManager President mod is still superior to these new intersection options (I desperately need my lane connector). Hopefully it will be updated for the Mass Transit patch.

I edited the dev diary to be more clear, sorry about the mix up with yield and stop signs! We internally have been calling the intersection settings "yield rules" but ended up going with stop signs. The cars actually stop at a stop sign and only then can proceed to the intersection area, and if there are other vehicles there when they need to enter the intersection, they will try to wait until there's enough room. The game world is based on an imaginary North American city. In North America yield signs are rarely used (they also don't have that many roundabouts) and they use stop instead to make sure drivers take the time to observe other traffic before entering an intersection. Stop and yield signs are not that often used in big, busy cities, but more on the countryside in less busy intersections. We chose the stop sign as it fit our traffic simulation best, did not cause the need for the simulation to become much heavier, and it suits the type of intersections cities in Skylines most often have. We have done a lot of testing on this, and while the best way is not to place stop signs on all entrances into roundabouts, they can be used to control traffic and make it run a lot smoother in all types of intersections. Sorry for being unclear, the diary is now updated!

Gothamer, the road naming uses a different system that the road segments, it is pretty adept at identifying for example a long road with lots of incoming roads without cutting the road in sections. The adjust road tool is a safety system for the occasional situation where the naming system would not identify a road the way user needs it to be identified, and allows for some extra creativity. What the system understands as one road is also what will be affected when the road is named or marked as priority road. A road must have two ends (or no end, if it is circular) and it cannot fork. The basic system is that you can click and drag the end of the road marker to adjust what is one road. Any areas left without road assignation after adjusting will become new roads.

Please also allow us to edit lane arrows. Being able to ban left turns is essential for traffic flow, and sometimes you have to prevent vehicles from making U-turns, for example when an avenue splits into two highways or ramps. Without this feature, Traffic Manager will still be essential.

Everything is excellent but can we have also a train station for two lines only? 6 is great for a central railway station but we need also ones with less capacity. Or we do rely on modders for this? :)

In North America yield signs are rarely used (they also don't have that many roundabouts) and they use stop instead to make sure drivers take the time to observe other traffic before entering an intersection.
AFAIK in North America they don't use Central Heating Services with some exclusion, but we have Snowfall.
And I bet, yield signs will give much less performance impact rather than electricity and water pipe simulations give it right now. ;)

And I bet, yield signs will give much less performance impact rather than electricity and water pipe simulations give it right now. ;)
well since yield signs affect every vehicle in the game and require a specific algorithm when a vehicles reaches a yield sign whereas heating affects only houses which i would assume requires code to say whether the heating is on or off, i would guess that yield signs would use more resources than the heating

well since yield signs affect every vehicle in the game and require a specific algorithm when a vehicles reaches a yield sign whereas heating affects only houses which i would assume requires code to say whether the heating is on or off, i would guess that yield signs would use more resources than the heating
That was two different sentences unrelated to each other. I was talking about unnecessarily heavy simulation of base game electricity and water pipes.
Also AFAIK stop, yield signs and traffic lights don't mess with the AI pathfinder calculations, that's why they apply instantly unlike lane setups\traffic restrictions\U-turns with which you should wait until new agents will generate which would obey new rules while existing ones will ignore them.