• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sytass sits eating his large wlak steak, mumbling something unintelligable at shawng1's toast. When he is finished muttering he raises his glass of dark Guiness and drinks. Then the steak has his undivided attention again.

“Beer me!”

“Sure thing LD,” said the Midnight Rose.

“By da way, you ‘aven’t ‘appened to ‘ave sheen my teesh ‘ave you? I shink I put dem in my pocket, but now dey sheem to be mishing.”

“Sorry LD. Haven’t seen them. Here’s your beer.”

“Dangsh.”

As LD sauntered back to his table by the window, looking forward to having another of his little snoozes, the door burst open. It was T. Or was it?

The normally amiable gent wore an uncharacteristic scowl, and the way he stomped towards the bar, bumping and jostling the other patrons without so much as an “excuse me”, seemed to indicate otherwise.

“Smithwicks, barkeep, and keep ‘em coming.”

Well, at least that part was right. LD motioned him over to join him. “What’s up, kid?”

T sat staring at his pint.

“Come on, kid. What’s the problem?”

“Bah! Just something that got my ire up. I’ll be okay after a few pints.”

“You’ll feel better if you get it off your chest. Believe me. I always do - though of course I have to do it quietly to myself since I have to keep up my good appearance and all.”

“Nah. Already got it off my chest and it didn’t really make me feel much better, to be honest. I wanted to make a point but I’m afraid that I didn’t do it very politically or pleasantly. It may come back to haunt me some day.”

“You? I doubt it.”

“It can happen…I’ve seen it before. Anyway, I have this horrible feeling that it’ll end up looking like a really tasteless way to try to get more people to read my latest book and that really isn’t what I was trying to do. After all, I know that the stuff I’m doing isn’t really many people’s cup of tea – it just isn’t the sort of thing that’s in vogue, really. To be honest, I’m doing it much more for myself than anything else, and it’s more like getting that extra scoop of icecream on your cone when a few kind souls happen to like it. I’m really not trying to get bushels full of fan mail like you do.”

LD had to laugh at that one. “Bushels? Well, I suppose I get a fair bit these days, but that’s only ‘cause I’m doing a little spot of comedy. No one goes back and reads the classics these days. I mean, how many people have actually read my Austria and the War of Spanish Succession anyway?”

“Probably more people than you think – though admittedly not as many as it deserves. I think that people are more into fast food these days…just don’t have the time and inclination to sit down to a full multi-course meal that’s been lovingly prepared.”

The two sat there for a few moments in silence, LD contemplating the myriad of AARs and lamenting the imminent demise of the Free Company series due to lack of contributors, and T slowly regaining his usual more calm and collected demeanour. Their faces lit up, however, as Bismarck appeared in the doorway, fresh from a book-signing session for his Cyprus novel which was gaining more and more well-deserved popular acclaim. They waved him over to the table.

"By the way, LD, you can have your teeth back," said T. "I've finished with them for now. Sorry, bad timing."

Wyvern strolled into the bAAR and spotting Peter wandered over.

“What are you having mate? A Carlesburg? Right here you go…”

“You know I’ve been scanning some of the new AAR’s being posted and it looks like you and LD have a bit of competition on the old comedy front. Yep some Goat King is having a rare old time down in India”

“Yes sure is a fun read, hope he keeps plugging away at it. So have you and Shawng1 finished your theological discussion yet?”

“Ouch yes that raised a few shackles on both sides didn't it :) … broke the golden rule you know and starting arguing about theology and ethics, always a bad thing to do on the web. Don’t know what Druid Galen would think of it all in my Irish AAR. He’d have us all worshipping the Dagda or more likely the Morrigu if he had his way :)

During a lull in the conversation, I yelled out, "Don't you just HATE lulls in the conversation?" No one seemed to care, except to look uneasy. Well, except for MrT, who didn't look anything but at the artillery pieces on the dancer in front of him.

"Bartended, Absolut Vodka and Coke please."

The look I received was one not to be cherished. What can I do if I don't like the aftertaste of Jack Daniels, but really like my alchohol sweet?

"So, have you heard the one where Storey was playing as Naples and got himself crushed by Ludovico who then got crushed by... Storey?" Well, that was a nifty bit of maneuvering, let me tell you. Greed is GOOD.

LD could be called a patient man, except when people stole his teeth. That they were his own teeth, even after two decades of playing goal, made it that much more painfull. Silently he plotted revenge. He'd steal MrT's toupee. Naw, worse, his cigarettes.

He glanced around the bARR, taking in the growing crowd of visitors. Some were familiar faces and others new. Some wandered from table to table introducing themselves, while others huddled together in their own little group. LD frowned. He'd have to do something about that.

Craig Ashley and Warspite slid into the empty stools beside him.

"What's on TV?" Warspite asked.

"CNN."

Warspite nodded and glanced at Craig. "You still seeing ghosts?"

Craig Ashley was eloquent, if nothing, "Huh?"

LD laughed. "Let me tell you about Ghosts."

"Ghosts you say? Well I haven't seen them before, but now that you told me about that . . ."

The two old hands had a chuckle at Craig's expense. These new guys were so ignorant of the history here at the bAAR.

"Actually I've been doing a bit of traveling. Went to Italy. Did I ever mention I was Italian?"

LD just raised a disbelieving eyebrow. Warspite thought it was hysterical and spit half of the beer he was chugging right through his nose.

"I'm serious. No one believes me because of the red hair, but my great grandmother was as Italian as they come. I had a lot of fun touring the old country. Spent a lot of time in Genoa. It was sort of a ghost town, not a lot of visitors. A real shame because it's a phenomeonal place to visit."

LD just nodded knowingly. Warspite wasn't really paying attention. He was too busy trying to wring the beer out of his shirt and back into his mug.

Last edited:
Through the door comes Sytass. He orders himself a scotch and, pretending it to be accidentally, drops a small booklet.

"Ooops!" he exclaims. "It seems I have dropped the prologue to my new work, The Klausens of Holstein-Hamburg, a saga of my home province."

When he realizes that noone cares, he sits down and drinks his scotch, muttering to himself, "Of course it cannot rival MrT's masterpiece The Rivers run Red in richness, or Ethan Allen's Sang Real/San Greal, but hey, this one is mine."

He empties his glass and orders another one. He draws his wallet, pays and also checks how many bills he has. Not too many, he concludes, and so he decides to rather watch the stage dancers from afar tonight. On a second thought, he takes a bill, attaches a piece of thin nylon string to it and makes his way to the stage.

Muuuurgh!
A horrible smell came drifting from LD's table.
"What what that?" screamed Warspite, his feminine voice piercing the silence.
"Relax, it's only Barkdreg." LD pointed at the drunk under the table. "Remember him? He was part of the Free Company and had some succes with his Granada and Byzantium AAR's back in the EU1 times.
He had some problems involving 'schools' and 'booze'. I hope he'll sober up when he has to write his part in the Venice AAR."

Warspite looked at the smelly guy under the table
"Didn't he knock out my teeth some time ago?"
"Yes that's him!"
"Rictus! Fetch me my hammer! Time for some vengeance."

kurtbrian entered the bAAR. He eagerly looked around to see if anyone famous where there. Noticing Shawng1 he quickly walked towards him.

Lets have a look at kurtbrian. He's about average height and a bit above average weight;). He has followed the works of different bAAR guests over the time, but he has never amounted to anything himself. In his own mind though he believes he is the next comet on the bAAR scene, but everybody else know it isn't so. A typical wannabe...

'Shawng1, I'm so glad to see you again', Kurtbrian put his hand out.

Shawng1 looked blankly at Kurtbrian:'Do I know you?

'Sure you do. We've met lots of times. At the Von Rad family estate and at a banquet with the Stadholder of Gelre just to name a few.'

'No sorry, doesn't ring a bell'

Shawng1 desperately tried to think of an excuse for leaving this looser...

'I also conducted som research in to the fields of international relations'

'Oh, you're the badboy then?'

'Yes - I believe I am commonly known by that name...', Kurtbrian sighed, 'But I have recently been researching Denmarks role in the Great Northern War and I'm thinking of publishing it... That is, if I could find a publisher....'

Shawng1 finally noticed that MrT and Lord Durham was finished staring at the strippers and was heading for the bAAR.
'Goodness, is that the time... Have a nice day', he said and made a run for it .

That kurtbrian character will never amount to anything he quietly thought by himself as he ordered Amstel Beer and started talking to MrT and Lord Durham...

"For crying out loud, Rosie, I leave you in charge for one, I repeat 1 weekend, and I have to scrub Belgians off the floor... What on Earth has happened here? Huh? Answer me! No, don't fiddle with those jugs..."

"Why not?"

"They're for water... not for your fiddling! Now, what's happened?". Norgesvenn had worked himself up for quite some time, scraping up Barkdreg and trying to convince a devastated kurtbrian that Denmark was in fact A-oh-kay.

"Oh, the usual... and don't call me 'Rosie'. To you I'm the 'Midnight Rose', okay?"
"Pity I never see you when you finish your shift at midnight, then. I suppose that every rose has its thorn, and that yours is the one in my eye, huh?"
"Oh, c'mon, you big fat bastard! Everyone knows you've been a heretic recently!", the Midnight Rose (or the Modnight Rose, as she's known as in the bug forum) sniffled.
"Heresy?", Norgesvenn was apprehensive. Beads of sweat appeared on his forehead.
"Yeah... you with your going away and playing Championship Manager... I hate you!!"

Sporting a black eye and a litre of voddie, Norgesvenn entered the bar of the bAAR.

"So... what's been up?"

Last edited:
Rictus lends half an ear to the conversation while he refreshes his Carling. Shwang1 denouces the intelligent of the distributers, though with a decent connection,any game is available if you're patient enough.

"Anyway, I never understood the appeal of the
Managerment series. Give me a good dose of Age of Empires 2 any day, or, at a pinch, even Quake would do.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes, loudly exclaiming that Barkdreg had returned! Hurrah! Welcome back old pal, he's the axe"

"Age of Empires! Ack, Pfft. I traded that in in less than 2 weeks. Quake? Played it once, never bought it, never wanted to. And as for patience...sure, if I ordered it from Amazon.com, which I'm pretty much going to have to do.

Don't understand the appeal? Why, so you can show what a lout "Sir" Alex Furguson really is, I could manage a side better than him!"

Norgesvenn butted into the conversation.
"I consider myself a purist, Shawn... so I only manage lowly sides. See, I've built Leyton Orient into a decent side in three years, and managed to stave off bankrupcy as Nottingham Forest. Started out with fifteen million quid in debts, I did. No new signings. Had to rely on the young 'uns, see".

Rictus and Shawn rolled their eyes. The bAARtender was on a roll.

Fifteen minutes later.

"... a decent signing he was. And he's got stamina like..."

Thirty minutes later.

"... give or take a few, I'd settle for 'im instead of Beckham any day..."

Shawn, the CM series are unavailble in the states?? :eek: If you want it, I'm sure I could send it to you by snail mail from Norway. :)

Norgs,

No, there is no direct US distributor. US reviewers review the thing every year and drool, and then basically say, "Nah-nah-nah-nah-naaaah-nah, you caaaaan't get it.":rolleyes: The only way I could order it would be to try through Amazon. But we just bought a new car, so the extra $20 for shipping would go over really well with the wife right now.;) I'm waiting for my vacation check to arrive, then I'll have some fun money.

Sytass sits down by shawng1, offering him a scotch. "Don't listen to the advocates of Championship Manager." He sighs, then gives a conspiratory look, checking if noone listens. "You know", he continues, "for the English market it may be the best." He pauses again, leaning back to see if his saying still goes unnoticed, then forward to make sure he didn't miss anyone who might be interested in what he says. "But if you speak German, there's no way you can pass on Anstoß 3. Compared to that, CM is about as shallow as Tic-Tac-Toe is compared to Chess."

With that, Sytass gets up and sits down again into a lonely corner, brooding over maps of northern Germany and the Middle East.

Self promotion...

"Ghost ? Did I hear Ghost or Ghosts ?
smhair1.gif

:D

Cat

Originally posted by shawng1
Norgs,

No, there is no direct US distributor. US reviewers review the thing every year and drool, and then basically say, "Nah-nah-nah-nah-naaaah-nah, you caaaaan't get it.":rolleyes: The only way I could order it would be to try through Amazon.

Okay, I'm not 100% sure I even know what game you're talking about, but I double checked the company I normally buy my games from, which does a LOT of imports. They have something called Championship Manager Season 01/02, for $37.90. Shipping from them is usually pretty cheap, too.

link here

Let me know if that's what you were looking for...

Now since this IS an AAR forum :D

In case you haven't noticed, the review thread folks have been talking about in the Feedback thread is now up, with a statement of purpose, a first review, and the first author's response. Woo-hoo! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.