• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
trekaddict said:
No problem mate.

Do you happen to have access to Windows XP in some way? I recommend you try to get your hands on it and install it. It runs everything and is surprisingly stable. ( I have never had a non usercaused crash. )

well no, the previous computer which had xp was already installed so i dont have the installation disc. ill have to take it to my local computer shop and see if they can do anything without bankrupting me. iv contacted dell saying im not happy - if i cant play hoi i may as well have bought a £50 laptop with just the internet on it. i realise xp is great, i just presumed vista must be better :eek:o

BritishImperial said:
well no, the previous computer which had xp was already installed so i dont have the installation disc. ill have to take it to my local computer shop and see if they can do anything without bankrupting me. iv contacted dell saying im not happy - if i cant play hoi i may as well have bought a £50 laptop with just the internet on it. i realise xp is great, i just presumed vista must be better :eek:o

Thats an often made error. :)

Go ahead with dat plan on AAR writing, homie.

Imperialist: You can use shite, plus fouler and more obscene language. Go ahead and try... x)

BritishImperial said:
yeh should be good

and about vista: you're all right, its absolutely shite, if im allowed to use that word here. its flashy, more user friendly, but wont run HOI (which i pratically bought the new computer to play) and i cant download some thing which worked fine on my old one, because it needs 'elevation'. it'll get plenty of elevation when i throw the damn thing out the upstairs window im sitting in front of... also having un-and-re installed hoi multiple times to try to get it to work iv lost almost 10gb of hard disc space. brilliant, thanks microsoft. i thought it was only the xbox 360 which was shit.

(sorry to hijack your aar with my ravings trek)
I had no trouble instaling HOI:DD on my laptop that has Vista. And yes, the decision for Vista to be installed on my laptop was not mabe by me, it came with it.

Also, I had some funny problems with it and HOI. Sometimes it doesn't save games in regular Program Files/Paradox interactive/Doomsday/scenarios/savegames folder but some other place where it stores temporary program files, or maybe settings. Because of that I think it once ATE my save games.

4th Dimension said:
I had no trouble instaling HOI:DD on my laptop that has Vista. And yes, the decision for Vista to be installed on my laptop was not mabe by me, it came with it.

Also, I had some funny problems with it and HOI. Sometimes it doesn't save games in regular Program Files/Paradox interactive/Doomsday/scenarios/savegames folder but some other place where it stores temporary program files, or maybe settings. Because of that I think it once ATE my save games.

well you're lucky. i suppose it could be some setting i have on which is causing it to crash, but iv tried changing compatability modes etc and no luck. it worked as russia for a while, oddly, but now doesnt. the only reason im assuming its vista is that i have it working fine on xp on another computer

Well, when I buy my laptop later this year it will come with vista. First thing I do I'll throw vista off the damn thing and install my Windows XP on it.

Oh and could we please get back to topic?

The second season of the best german language TV show ever is finally out there. From now on I will sit on front of the telly each thursday afternoon, even though my remote is broken and needs to be replaced/repaired. :D

Last edited:
Originally posted by Chairman trek:
The second season of the best german language TV show ever is finally out there. From now on I will sit on front of the telly each thursday afternoon, even though my remote is broken and needs to be replaced/repaired. :D

Aren't all your TV shows German language? Dubbing sure is in down there. :D If it's German-produced, it can't be a comedy show. What is it? :)

Mangudai said:
Aren't all your TV shows German language? Dubbing sure is in down there. :D If it's German-produced, it can't be a comedy show. What is it? :)

It is a crime show, a bit like SWAT in the US, just about these guys.

Cool. You needed some hardcore tactical police teams after you f*cked up in Munich. :D

i realise this isnt strictly 'on topic' but arent the germans making a copy of fawlty towers? id love to see that, even though itd be awful.

Only way Germans could ever make a comedy show is by importing ideas and jokes from other countries. If they try to make too much of an own spin on it, "awful" would be an understatement. :rofl:

Mangudai said:
Only way Germans could ever make a comedy show is by importing ideas and jokes from other countries. If they try to make too much of an own spin on it, "awful" would be an understatement. :rofl:

im sure trekaddict will be thrilled to hear that :D - depending on how much national pride he has

BritishImperial said:
im sure trekaddict will be thrilled to hear that :D - depending on how much national pride he has

Well that we germans don't have a sense of humour is a steretype, but our comedy shows mostly do suck, that's correct. :mad: :D

First narrative update probably tomorrow.

Germans are renowned for not having a sense of humor, but I agree - it's a stereotype. I was just teasing you. ;)

Last edited:
They do not???? lol I thought some parts of "Das Boot" to be quite funny (like zcene at the bar on beginning or "stiff-nut-crushing" nazi boy :) )
I think Germans and other Europeans have good cinema and sense of humor...
(except all-is-about-love productions)

Deus Eversor said:
They do not???? lol I thought some parts of "Das Boot" to be quite funny (like zcene at the bar on beginning or "stiff-nut-crushing" nazi boy :) )
I think Germans and other Europeans have good cinema and sense of humor...
(except all-is-about-love productions)

Love productions are boring wherever you go.

Paradischapterpic.png

Chapter 10

Somwhere in the woods just outside of Moscow, November 26th, 1937​

Leon Trotsky, Chariman of the Central Committee of the CPSU and the Surpreme Soviet sipped at the glass of Vodka in his hand and loocked out into the snowing winds outside of his Datcha. It was late, about 10 o Clock in the evening, but usually he was still working at that time, but today he took “the day off”, at the recommendation of his doctor and because it was something of a special day to him, as he had been forced to leave the Soviet Union on November 26th, 1925. Now, twelve years later he was back. Leading his country into what where bound to be troubled times. Now that Poland and Romania were taken care of the hard way, after ignoring Trotskys peace proposals early in the war, the Soviet Union was a Pariah. The Allied Powers were disgusted with the War and had repeatedly demanded that Poland and Romania were to be released immediately, something Trotsky could not and would not allow, as these country were needed as a buffer against the evergrowinf Axis alliance, not to mentoin that he would not allow the capitalists to get their greedy hands on these provinces again. The Axis, lead by the facist dogs in Germany anc curretnly consisting of only them and the Hungarians was likely to be the next big enemy the Soviet Union would have to face, considering that Hitler had not been too pleased with the Soviets inheriting the lands he had obviously wanted for Germany, and his attitude towards the Soviet Union itself was plain and clear. Trotsky unintentionally shivered when he remebered what he had felt when he had read through Hitlers “bible”, his “Mein Kampf” during the last few weeks. Hitler and his lapdogs would be formidable foes. Allthough heavily outnumbered by the Red Army the front the Germans had to man was much smaller, as they could leave part of that to their allies, and the ground tactics the Red Army employed were still frighteningly weak, despite his many reforms which were just now beginnign to filter through to the rest of the country. What was next, which crisis would be the next o blow up in their….

Trotsky was interrupted in his musings by a tentative knock on the door to his study. Trotsky already knew who had knocked as he knew this knock by heart. “Come in Volodya!” he said, and motoined for his long-time aide and personal friend to come in. “Comrad Chairman,” Volodya began only to be silenced by the look on Tortskys face “ Leon…” he started again, remembering that he was to call his friend by his first name when they were alone, “Leon, the GRU has sent this over, along with the Intelligence Estimate you requested a while back. I looked over it as per your orders, and my quick and dirty personal estimate is that our dear neighbours will receive all the help their Allies can bring to them.” Trotsky said nothing and simply nodded, fingering with his Cigarette lighter wishing that he had not listened to his doctor and given up smoking two years ago. Volodya was beginning to feel uneasy, a clear sign that he was becoming nervous about the silence in the room. After a few minutes Trotsky finally spoke: “I fear that the Red Army is not yet ready to face that particular alliance, my old Friend. Instruct that fool Blücher that he is to report to his new command within the next 48 hours.” he sighed and went on. “ I wish we could find someone decent to replace that man. I mean every commander is allowed to fail now and then, but not on such a grand scale and not so spectacularly. I whish I could place Zhukov on his chair at this very moment… But alas, Blücher is still to popular in the Army, and the grumblings it would bring if we sacked him might make them less open for the next round of reforms. I fear dear Blücher will have to fail at least one more time before we can send him toguard that supply depot…..” Trotsky stood up from his chair and walked the few steps to the window, staring out into the swirling darkness. “How many will die, Volodya, how many?” Volodya did not answer, as he sensed that his friend and mentor did not really expect an answer anyways. Both just stared out into the Darkness.

November 27th, somewhere along the vast Borders of the Soviet Union. Temperature: Very cold.​

General Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov, General of the Red Army and Tankman by nature was not happy with his new assignement. Not that he would have spoken against it in any way, as he still commanded 1. Shock Army, but the command structure of this new Front left much to be desired, at least in his opinion. During the Polish and Romanian Campaigns Blücher, who had still not grasped that the days of the old, Great War eara frontal Infantry charges was over had constricted Zhukovs operational freedom in such a way that the success of his beloved Tanks was less than spectacular. Zhukov still sivered when thinking of the mad desperate attack through the Carpathian Mountains, right into the face of massive, entrenched Romanian AT-Gun positions. Blücher obviously still believed that tanks were nothing more than armoured and self propelled pillboxes, best used for Infantry support, if at all, and that was something of a personal offense to Zhukov, who had been a tank proponent from the day he had taken over as commander of the 6th Guards Tank Division in 1929. When Trotsky had taken over all these months ago Zhukov knew that a new wind was blowing, but he had also known even back then that Trotsky had to tread carefully lest he would anger the very men that were the supports of his power during these critical first few weeks. Now that his power was secured he could slowly start to weed out those less open to his reforms, the so-called “Old Guard” of men that had led the Red Army in the Civil War and still clung to the tacics and the doctrine developed back then. Zhukov was sure that he would be one of the men who would be floated upwards in the wake of this second bloodless purge, and he rembered that the British even had a saying for occasions like this one: ‘Here’s to bloody wars and sickly seasons.’ The Situation at hand was neither a bloody war nor a sickly season but the saying was apt nonetheless Zhukov decided, as he walked back to his command tank, once more cursing Blüchers obvious incompetence and knowing that the Field Marshalls next obvious slip-up would mean a promotion for him.

Oh i see you are still on feet ;]
shouldn't Trotsky try to make a elite army just for any greater trouble?
because knowing that HE made the Red Army i think he would go for standing one