• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like some dev feedback to make sure we have more answers than speculations, but at least we've got a start! I have a few bits of input, myself:

4. I did some tests on this, myself, and there's actual proof of this effect in game. If you look at the data of an individual stop by clicking on it, then adjust station maintenance up, after one month's time, you will see the attractiveness number jump upward. Attractiveness is supposed to encourage use of your lines, but it also seems to have an effect on the patience of the travelers. For example, people seem much more willing to wait around a covered bus stop than an open one.
5. Just a little thought on this... Red faces in this game don't seem nearly as dire as they imply, at least, not when it comes to individual heads. In the event of a breakdown, for example, everyone in the vehicle gets a red face and leaves. I believe that each one of these has a slight effect on the reputation for the individual traveler's social group. However, 1 "hit" of this seems to not have too much effect. Instead, a large group of SUSTAINED unhappiness (such as at a poorly handled stop) causes a much more noticeable decline. It can be assumed that the game rates this on a "green face +1, red face -1" kind of system, which means half happy and half mad still comes out as an okay result. This is all highly speculative, however.
B- In my experience, the line about fuel and energy getting cheaper when the economy is good isn't necessarily true. Those prices seem to be independent stats. I assume this because I have seen unemployment rise, economy fall, and energy prices fall with them on more than one occasion.

I'd like some dev feedback to make sure we have more answers than speculations, but at least we've got a start! I have a few bits of input, myself:

4. I did some tests on this, myself, and there's actual proof of this effect in game. If you look at the data of an individual stop by clicking on it, then adjust station maintenance up, after one month's time, you will see the attractiveness number jump upward. Attractiveness is supposed to encourage use of your lines, but it also seems to have an effect on the patience of the travelers. For example, people seem much more willing to wait around a covered bus stop than an open one.
5. Just a little thought on this... Red faces in this game don't seem nearly as dire as they imply, at least, not when it comes to individual heads. In the event of a breakdown, for example, everyone in the vehicle gets a red face and leaves. I believe that each one of these has a slight effect on the reputation for the individual traveler's social group. However, 1 "hit" of this seems to not have too much effect. Instead, a large group of SUSTAINED unhappiness (such as at a poorly handled stop) causes a much more noticeable decline. It can be assumed that the game rates this on a "green face +1, red face -1" kind of system, which means half happy and half mad still comes out as an okay result. This is all highly speculative, however.
B- In my experience, the line about fuel and energy getting cheaper when the economy is good isn't necessarily true. Those prices seem to be independent stats. I assume this because I have seen unemployment rise, economy fall, and energy prices fall with them on more than one occasion.

Thanks for the feedback.
About the fuel and energy prices, I only saw only once, so I adjust the guide according to what you said, since I didn't pay too much attention to it.

And about the red faces, it just confirm once more that in this game people individually doesn't mean much. It's more about the group they belong to. The game give us an impression that the individuals matter, since you can see each person, see their destinations and save them into your profile. The true is that this single person do not have any opinion about your company. If he/she uses or not your services there is no individual reason (high prices, long waiting time, long trip, bad vehicles condition, too many lines, etc) and I think the devs cannot implement that, even if they want. It's more about a common opinion.
Topics like Route query tool, show that people still see the game as Traffic Giant, but it's not a good idea to try to solve individuals problems. I think it's more realistic but somehow seems that you don't get enough feedback from the citizens. You get a general opinion, but I will never know why Lidia Spielberg didn't pay for her ticket. It's realistic and I don't like it.
I would like to do as question 11 says :)

About the FAQ topic:
10. How many times a passenger pays for the trip?

I've seen buses stop with zero passengers and then after 26 came in, only a few were accounted (green number showing the sum of tickets paid). So I'm assuming only a few (sometimes nobody) are paying for the ride. What does that mean? People are just not paying because they don't want to? Or are they coming from another means of transportation and don't have to pay from the second ride on?

Edit: could it be because they are students? Because it's the stop next to the college.

Last edited:
All we can do is speculate or make hard and long observations.

It's true that some people just don't pay for the ride. They are cheaters. You pay wages for Inspectors and there are Fines in your Profit column. So the game manage to make some percentage of people to not pay and eventually get caught. Those variables are probably changed by unemployment rate and wage of your inspectors.

Other people say that is also possible that people pay for type of transportation. So, if a passenger pay for a bus line and he commute to another bus line, he won't pay the second ride. But if he changes to a tram or metro, he will pay again. Hard to know tho.

As I said: hard and long observations :wacko:

Edit: I don't think the game simulate anything related to students, paying none or half of the ticket like Traffic Giant. Simulate and don't tell the player or let you control it doesn't make any sense.

It's true that some people just don't pay for the ride. They are cheaters. You pay wages for Inspectors and there are Fines in your Profit column. So the game manage to make some percentage of people to not pay and eventually get caught. Those variables are probably changed by unemployment rate and wage of your inspectors.
you can delete the 'probably' ;). This is something we actually can verify as it is handled in the scripts not somewhere in the hidden in the engine.
(metro/ui/linepanel/linepanel.script: look for onGetPassenger <- if anybody wants to look at the formulas in detail)
small correction though: cheating probability depends on the ecomonic situation not on the unemployment rate.
there are also different cheating probabilities for the different citizen types. Students have the second highest probability(after the unemployed).

you can delete the 'probably' ;). This is something we actually can verify as it is handled in the scripts not somewhere in the hidden in the engine.
(metro/ui/linepanel/linepanel.script: look for onGetPassenger <- if anybody wants to look at the formulas in detail)
small correction though: cheating probability depends on the ecomonic situation not on the unemployment rate.
there are also different cheating probabilities for the different citizen types. Students have the second highest probability(after the unemployed).

That's great information!
I updated the guide. Unfortunately the real question still not answered. How people pay for 1 entire trip...

I updated the guide, in the section about why traffic increase exactly in the line you just set up.
Just changed to a better explanation that I read on Wikipedia, that land desirability increase near stations, as it happened in Washington D.C.
Maybe that was the devs are trying to simulate.

Hey ho!

I seriously dunno where to post it, and opening a new thread seems like a shame for a question so simple. Since this is the wiki thread, and it falls into the category ...
Anyways, I've searched most of the forum, and I've yet to see a serious "walkthrough", in the ways of EU3/Vicky AAR's. I just can't shake off the need to see what others have done, and what I've done differently.

So yeah, does such a thing exist already, or no?

Hey ho!

I seriously dunno where to post it, and opening a new thread seems like a shame for a question so simple. Since this is the wiki thread, and it falls into the category ...
Anyways, I've searched most of the forum, and I've yet to see a serious "walkthrough", in the ways of EU3/Vicky AAR's. I just can't shake off the need to see what others have done, and what I've done differently.

I think the Beta AAR is what you're looking for? They can be found here and here.

Hey ho!

If by EU3 you mean Europa Universalis III then you got the wrong forum. This is Cities in Motion only forum. Post your question Here

Does anyone know how can I create a RSS feed out of posts in the wall of a facebook account?

I'm creating a News section for the wiki, and I tried to put RSS feed from CiM Twitter, but it's not working. Another source of information would be facebook, which is updated very frequently, but there is no RSS option for that.
Any suggestions?
Would be nice if the Latest news of CiM website were also updated and with RSS support.

Would any kind soul be willing to post a video of themselves beating one of the campaign maps (I'm still stuck on Berlin!). I'm new to non-combat strategy games; while I love CiM's feel, I just seem terrible at it and it's frustrating me.

After reading this thread, the great wiki (http://citiesinmotion.wikispaces.com/Mobility+Guide) and several tries, I still can't seem to make headway. I've even gone so far as to 'cheat' by installing the DLCs and using future vehicles in the Berlin scenario, but I just don't seem to "get it". I hope a video will help it click.

Thanks!

A video like that would be very long. And that means also playing this scenario from scratch. Sorry I will not do that, but if you will PM me your e-mail I can send you a saved file from the end of the first scenario.

Read the first post thread, I think would help you more than the mobility guide.

Tell us your main problems. Profit? Vehicles stuck in traffic? Difficulties to draw a line? Few people using your services?

Giladteller, that might help, thanks. I sent you my email.

Douglasrac, my issue seems to be traffic congestion and TONS of unhappy people at my stops, though I'm thinking that's probably because of how I'm building my lines. I try to tie the 3 starting bus lines together with 2 separate, short bus routes. However within my first 20-30 minutes of playing the game, all 5 routes then end up with lots of unhappy passengers tired of waiting for a bus. I tried adding more buses but I think that caused more traffic.

I had a bit more luck using a tram as a central route, from the university to the train station and finally the theater, with connecting stops to the bus route on the way. This made it better, but within an hour or so I was still having too much bus congestion. Also for some reason I didn't complete the mission asking me to move 50 passengers via that tram, even though I clearly was connected to the 3 hubs (university, train station, theater) that it asked for.

I'm about to fire it up and give it another go. I'll try more, shorter bus lines.