• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I see, so that is what Mettermrck did. Why didn't I think of that? :wacko: Anyway, I definatly agree with you expanding into South East Asia and The Dutch East Indies. A much better choice. As for Hong Kong, be careful. As Japan in 1.06, I've tried to take it and have so far failed, The British put up a heavy fight. Anyway, update soon!

great aar, z. its a great read. your aar is among the few that i read in its entirity.

you should make some references to port arthur of 1904, as surely that was the model for pearl harbour. great job and good luck!

i hope you loose the war, makes a much more interesting aar i think ;) more real.

October 1st, 1940

Meeting of the gosho kaigi (five minister conference)
October 1st, 15th year of Showa

Hachiro Arita had a German proposal for debate. „The Germans have proposed an interesting treaty. It would be a safeguard against an active participation on behalf of the United States or as the treaty text says against all not-yet participants of the Asian or European conflicts. We would acknowledge their right to establish a German and Italian sphere in Europe and Africa, while they would acknowledge our new order in Asia.”
Tojo was the first to interrupt. ”What about the Soviet Union? If it comes to a war between Stalin and Hitler over differences in Europe, would we be compelled to declare war on the Soviet Union?”
“Ambassador Kurusu has signalled that the Germans will accept an exception for the Soviet Union, Tojo-san. The treaty aims especially at the US. They would face a two-front war when they declare war upon us or the Germans.”
Yamamoto didn’t like the proposal. The Germans would be no help in a war with the Americans. “How would an alliance with Germany help us against the United States? After all, they have virtually no navy left and while they dominate Europe, they can’t do anything against the Americans. But we would be a useful ally for them in case of a war with the United States. What can we gain?”
“They have deceived us once with their Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty. Now we’ll deceive them. You are aware of our plans to make a pre-emptive strike against the American fleet when we attack the European colonies. If they adhere to the now proposed treaty, they’ll declare war on the US. And that will surely divert a lot of attention from the Pacific to the Atlantic. If they break the treaty, we can’t lose anything, as we would attack anyway.”
“And if they or the Americans declare war upon each other before we are ready for our strike?”
“They won’t, Yamamoto-san. The public opinion in the US is still in favour of isolation. But the war-supporters are slowly gaining ground. The US would enter the war in one or two years anyway. But Tojo and you told us, that it’s better to strike now while we still have an advantage.”
“Well, I still don’t think that it is wise to attack the United States. They’ll not falter and in the long run their economy is much stronger than ours.”
Konoe intervened to stop a new debate on the topic. “We have already discussed this. And we have decided that it would be the best alternative to strike while they’re unsuspecting and hope that we can achieve a critical victory over their fleet early in a conflict. They would not be able to retaliate in the next months and years.”
Yamamoto wasn’t so sure about this, but he hadn’t been able to convince the other ministers that Japan could not win a war with the United States.

tripartitepact.jpg

Ambassador Kurusu, the Italian Minister for Propaganda Ciano and Hitler sign the Tripartite Pact in Berlin​

Last edited:
@Semi-Lobster:
What do you intend to do with Hong Kong?
Um, conquer? What else... :D At the moment it's only guarded by a militia division, but I have given it urban territory. If that's too much, I'll change it back...
The Dutch won't be a problem as they do only have three or four infantry divisions and about half a dozen militia in Indonesia as far as I can tell.

@Ksim3000: A southern expansion seems to be more fun as Siberia isn't that nice... ;) Jungle battles and naval action sound fine...I hope I won't disappoint you.

@Ladislav: Thanks. :) Yeah, defeat would be cool. But only if it's a "real" defeat...

@Seidita: Yeah, that would be cool. :)

@Copper Nicus: Sure.

I am quite interested but how do you make Urban Territories? So far, I haven't a clue and it would be nice to make some more provinces Urban like Arnhem which was a pretty big Urban battle anyway. Still, a good story and definatly go for Hong Kong, if it is of course gaurded only by Militia. As Japan, I've had difficulties myelf trying to invade Hong Kong, The British seem to have an advantage this time. Anyway, looking forward to your next update and I really can't wait for the soon to be Naval battles and jungle warfare. :D

@Semi-Lobster: The Brits have moved a lot of their troops to Europe and North Africa...the militia unit seems to be part of the home guard...

@Ksim3000: You'll have to change the entry for province in the Hearts of Iron/DB/province.csv file (or province.core.csv if you play CORE) I have always edited the file with Excel, but others say that Excel destroys HoI's csv-files. If you want to modify an existing savegame you have to look for the province number in it and delete the last line from the province section. The province will than have the same terrain as in the province.csv file. So if you changed that first, you can add urban terrain in a running game.

October 20th, 1940

Meeting of the Imperial War Council
October 20th, 15th year of Showa

An aide opened the heavy steel door to the war room for Yamamoto. He had never felt comfortable in this bunker, meters beyond Tokyo. The artificial light, the strange air which had passed dozens of filters which gave it that dead smell. The war room reminded Yamamoto of a bee stock. Generals, admirals and their aides made the last changes before they would present their plans to the civil government. Tojo was already there, chatting with the Field Marshal Hata, Grand Admiral Nagano and the minister for economics Yoshino Shinji. Yamamoto went over to them and heard that they talked about Kubuki, the traditional Japanese theatre. Tojo had noticed him now. “Konnichiwa, Yamamoto-san. We shall begin in two minutes.” Yamamoto stood silent next to them and listened to their critique of the newest play at one of Tokyo’s stages.
When Prime Minister Konoe and foreign minister Hachiro Arita had arrived, the men walked over to a big table with a map of East Asia and the Pacific.
Tojo turned towards Field Marshal Sugiyama Hajime, who stood at the table. “General Sugiyama, would you please introduce us to the preliminary plans now?”
“Hai, General Tojo. I’ll begin with the minor theatres. We will try to infiltrate British India over these passes from China to Burma here.” He pointed to the map. “Two divisions of elite troops stand ready and we hope that we’ll surprise the British Command with this move and can secure parts of Northern Burma before they can react. They won’t expect an attack over these mountain ranges.
Our main thrust southwards will go against Singapore and Borneo, later against the Dutch East Indies. We have assigned nineteen divisions to the southern theatre for now, among them highly specialized troops and motorized and armoured divisions. We expect to conquer the Dutch East Indies within half a year or less.”
Yamamoto noted that Konoe looked annoyed. He didn’t like to be presented an issue he couldn’t influence. But civilians had no role in warfare.
“We have assigned a fleet for this southern theatre and several air force units. The second theatre will be the Philippines. We need to conquer them in order to secure our shipping routes to Malaya and Indonesia. We have troops on Formosa and on the Chinese continent ready to be shipped to the northern Philippines and make a landfall there. They’ll be reinforced by troops who stand ready to attack Hong Kong immediately after the declaration of war.

yamamotoplan.jpg

Grand Admiral Yamamoto plans the attack against the United States​

As that will most likely provoke a declaration of war by the United States, we have made plans how we can hamper the US ability to retaliate. We will attack Guam and Wake with naval landing forces. The American long-range bombers will than not be able to reach our home islands or China. Yamamoto-san, will you introduce us to the plans of the fleet?”
Yamamoto nodded and began to tell the civilians on how the fleet would strike against the Americans. Konoe was stunned when he heard the plan. “Do you think that’s wise? It will strengthen their will for resolve.” “We know that. But it is the best alternative.” “And when will you attack?” “Everything will be ready until the end of November. We have set the date for our attack on December 6th or 7th, depending on the time zone. All units will attack at the same time.”

Good luck!
I hope you pull it of.
Remember to conquer fast and then prepare to defend against wave of wave of wave of attacks from American forces.

Good luck with your war against The USA! Ah, at last we will be seeing The Pacific War start, I look forward to it. :D Also, I was wondering, how are you going to create Pearl Harbour? I just wondered since there is not Pearl Harbour in HOI (Unless they added it) but I am indeedl ooking forward to what happens. Also, thanks for telling me about Urban Territories, I will make Arnhem an Urban Territory now. :D Also just before I go, try and conquer San Francisco, that was Japan's main goal in WW2 for America aswell, just a thought and you could make that Urban Territory. Anyway update soon!

FINALLY the war in the Pacific is starting! *Grabs bowl of popcorn and takes a soda* I'm ready :D