• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Baltasar

Field Marshal
31 Badges
Mar 31, 2004
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Starvoid
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hei Forumites,

I don't have the chance to travel through Norway but since we have visitors from there every now and then, I'd like to learn their language. Thankfully, there are some similarities between German and Norwegian, so I do hope that this will be a comparatively easy task. What I am now looking for are online courses (preferably free of charge) or other useful way to learn that particular language.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

There is no such thing as Finlands-Swedish. Or is that when you put in random Finnish words into the beautiful Swedish language?

Wrong again, there is such language as Finlands-Swedish i should knwo that since its my beloved mother language, it´s older than Modern Rikssvenska witch is ugly as hell and not even understandbale since they sue different words than us, and they dont even udnerstand us when we talk in High swedish what they should do, and no its not a dialect, just saying, ;)

Reactions:
Wrong again, there is such language as Finlands-Swedish i should knwo that since its my beloved mother language, it´s older than Modern Rikssvenska witch is ugly as hell and not even understandbale since they sue different words than us, and they dont even udnerstand us when we talk in High swedish what they should do, and no its not a dialect, just saying, ;)
It is a regional riksspråk but it is not separate. It depends on how you define modern Rikssvenska. And no it is not older.

Last edited:
It is a regional riksspråk but it is not separate. It depends on how you define modern Rikssvenska. And no it is not older.
i
Yes its in fact older, since we use lots of words, what they do not use in sweden any more, its modern what they speak, what we dont do, and thus it is Finlands svenska, Finlands swedish. we do have dialects as well, what they all so do not understand, this fact has been proven.

Many claim its the same language but it is not, this i can claim from my heart. :rolleyes:, it´s not a bad thing tho. thanx to that we speak an older version means, we understand Norse/Norwegian/Danish/Icelandic easier than they do. In fact it inriches the North Germanic Language bank.

Reactions:
i
Yes its in fact older, since we use lots of words, what they do not use in sweden any more, its modern what they speak, what we dont do, and thus it is Finlands svenska, Finlands swedish. we do have dialects as well, what they all so do not understand, this fact has been proven.

Many claim its the same language but it is not, this i can claim from my heart. :rolleyes:, it´s not a bad thing tho. thanx to that we speak an older version means, we understand Norse/Norwegian/Danish/Icelandic easier than they do. In fact it inriches the North Germanic Language bank.
So you are proud of something which has not been able to evolve. And by the way having some old words still in use is not proof that something is older. So you understand Norwegian and Danish better? I would like to see your proof as you have stated that it has been proven. So many people claims that it is the same language but somehow you alone know from your heart that it is a different language. I could make a claim then that Danish and Norwegian is the same language and I would have a better claim than "we here use old words which are not used elsewhere anymore hence it is a separate language". So you also understand Icelandic and Norse as well, that has to be impressive. Do not mind the fact that people from the whole Scandinavia does not understand Norse anymore because the languages have evolved in different paths regardless of the common ancestry of Norse. The closest to Norse is Icelandic and it is also not understood by anyone except for those who have studied it or those who learnt it as children.

So you are proud of something which has not been able to evolve. And by the way having some old words still in use is not proof that something is older. So you understand Norwegian and Danish better? I would like to see your proof as you have stated that it has been proven. So many people claims that it is the same language but somehow you alone know from your heart that it is a different language. I could make a claim then that Danish and Norwegian is the same language and I would have a better claim than "we here use old words which are not used elsewhere anymore hence it is a separate language". So you also understand Icelandic and Norse as well, that has to be impressive. Do not mind the fact that people from the whole Scandinavia does not understand Norse anymore because the languages have evolved in different paths regardless of the common ancestry of Norse. The closest to Norse is Icelandic and it is also not understood by anyone except for those who have studied it or those who learnt it as children.

Really you think all that? good luck to you. asshat it seems you know nothing then.

Really you think all that? good luck to you. asshat it seems you know nothing then.
So you can give no proof(because there isn't any). Your argumentation has gone over to ad hominem(calling me asshat is an insult which is against forum rules). I called you out on things which you obviously have no knowledge of including your ridiculously funny way of argumentation when you somehow thought that you have any kind of authority in determining what is considered to be a separate language.

Could we get back on topic cos I'd like to know more about learning Norwegian.

Reactions:
Could we get back on topic cos I'd like to know more about learning Norwegian.
Not many Norwegians around the scandinavian forums, mostly swedish speakers I'm afraid.
You might get lucky in due time though, the occasional Norrbagge does come by theese parts ^^

I've always thought Norwegian must be really easy to learn if you already speak German. The words are similar, pronounciation isn't that far off, and grammar is an absolute breeze compared to German (except there are fewer absolute rules, so you'll need to spend some time learning rules for specific words by heart, if you know what I mean). Sentence structure is different, though, and either way learning a language is always some work, but I don't think you should have that much trouble.

As for how you'll go about it, I know there are free courses online as well as YouTube videos, and I know some people read children's books and whatnot to help them learn languages because of the simple language. Different things work for different people, I suppose. Edit: damn, I need to start reading peoples' posts a bit more thoroughly :p . Try here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgEalNGf64&list=PL3C8A9CF68DA74EC5

Other than that I'd recommend trying to use the language as much as possible. Once you know a little, try to put it to use. Read Norwegian newspaper sites, such as nrk.no, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sorry, I must get offtopic again :) There indeed is Finlands svenska language. It is even possible to determine from which small village a person is from, from his dialect.
Heja jaro heja heja, jaro är den besta! :D

Where are you from Vikeeso?

I've been teaching myself Norwegian in preparation for a trip to Oslo in November, and I've found this site to be invaluable. It includes audio, text, exercises, the whole deal. The only downside is that it's designed for students attending the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, so there's more vocabulary relating to higher learning that is strictly necessary for most people.

Reactions:
Hei Forumites,

I don't have the chance to travel through Norway but since we have visitors from there every now and then, I'd like to learn their language. Thankfully, there are some similarities between German and Norwegian, so I do hope that this will be a comparatively easy task. What I am now looking for are online courses (preferably free of charge) or other useful way to learn that particular language.

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Well the best way to learn Norwegian. is to speak with Norwegians (Normand in danish almost the same language) if you can find Norwegian movies with English subtitles also help. What is your native language anyway, its much easier to help you, if i know what your native language is.

@Baltasar While I would propose Danish due to it naturally being the better than the gibberish the Swedes speak and the peasant talk the Norwegians speak, Norwegian probably is the best of the Scandi languages to learn if you want to be able to understand/be understood in all three languages.

If you want to understand all three, then Norwegian, else Swedish.

If you want to understand all three, then Norwegian, else Swedish.
Only choose Swedish if you want to sound like a clown.
8YahOJf.gif

Also you can understand all three with Danish too (and I assume with Swedish too), but it is easiest with Norwegian.

Reactions: