• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Solomon I- 1536-1542
House of Devon

CF239BB0-AC5C-42D3-9834-CD0D3EB6B3CF.jpeg

Solomon I was briefly King of England in the early-mid 1500s during the English Revolt of Religion and was the grandson of Simon I.

Renowned as a dour and humourless figure Solomon had, as a the son of the second son of the King spent much of his adult life in service of the Devon Company, one of the era's foremost mercenary companies gaining a formidable reputation in Iberia and France and a building hefty personal fortune in the process. He would return to England in 1535, quite wealthy by any measure and virtually bought the Dukedom of York outright from his cashed-strapped grandfather, King Simon. Solomon quickly gained allies within the nobility, many of whom were concerned about the lack of action being taken with the growing numbers of Protestant adherents in the kingdom. He may well have had suspicions that his grandfather was secretly a protestant though it seems the two barely conversed.

His father Samuel, as the second son, opposed the implementation of a German-style religious tolerance and headed the Catholic faction in court. Whilst Solomon wasn’t as extreme as his father he still kept great catholic sympathies. When Simon promoted a Protestant to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Solomon was opposed.

As heir when his grandfather died aged 81, this secured Solomon's rule and Catholicism, but his reputation took a blow thanks to the capture and subsequent death in captivity of the popular Richard Clarke in March 1537. He soon began the persecution of Protestants, burning their heretical churches, destroying books and printing presses and publicly burning unrepentant preachers. This only made the Protestants more combative and he was faced with revolt in Norfolk and Durham as well as three separate assassination attempts.

Solomon would meet his end at the Battle of Sandringham, dying of wounds inflicted on the field. He had three sons, the eldest would claim the throne. Solomon’s religious policies would warn other monarchs not to follow the same policies and is nowadays glossed over.

Ah, so there we have our religious turmoil. Doesn’t sound like things will calm down any time soon, either.

King Simon II- 1542-1556
House of Devon

11E2BDE8-4DBA-48E0-BB95-1ADF8485E73F.jpeg

Simon II, was king of England for the middle of the 16th century. He would end of the English Revolt of Religion and was slightly successful in settling the religious situation in England.

The eldest son of Solomon I, Simon's early career was bound up in the fortunes of his father. Simon I had privately converted to Protestantism, which led to the beginning the English Revolt of Religion.

Solomon would grow apart from Simon, who showed great interest in Protestantism and less interest in Catholicism. Simon would privately convert and then publicly oppose his father during the English Revolt of Religion.

When Catholics attempted to remove Norwich's Protestant mayor by force, they were met with an even larger Protestant force which defeated them, took over the city and sparked revolt in several other towns, not just in the east but also in the Midlands. For the next eight months there would be near-constant fighting between the Protestant army (which was funded by Simon) and Solomon's regular troops. Whilst Solomon preferred to stay in London dictating events from afar, Simon remained at the forefront of his army. Solomon was killed in battle, having decided to get closer for the action of the battle of Sandringham. Simon was king and England was now a Protestant country.

Of course it wasn't really. At this point Catholicism was still in the majority, if perhaps it had lost its moral superiority, and Simon was careful not to repeat the mistakes of his father by going too far too fast. Rather than simply removing all Catholics from government positions he urged them to 'follow their conscious' rather than forcing any resignations. By the middle of 1545 the newly founded House of Commons was 80% Protestant and the House of Lords remained at 50-50. Only the very largest monasteries were forcibly closed and their lands confiscated as removing the smaller local ones was thought too politically dangerous and it was assumed that they would close naturally as new recruits dried up. Finally Simon II would enact two pieces of legislation; the Act of Succession (1547) and the Act of Settlement (1549).

The Act of Succession banned any Catholics from holding the English throne, at a stroke barring any of his brothers from the crown. It also disinherited Simon's own son, Prince David, who had converted to Catholicism in 1544 and was at that time in France. The Act of Settlement made it clear that England would be a Protestant country, however the rights and lands of Catholics were upheld. In effect this was the law of tolerance which Simon I had in mind. England would slowly drift toward becoming a Lutheran-majority country. There were occasional revolts however but Simon II was very careful in suppressing them, minimising the loss of life and making sure grievances were aired publicly.

Simon II would die in 1556, to be succeeded by his sole surviving Protestant child, Prince Cyril. He had left behind a state still burdened by debt, largely isolated from European politics and with religious issues still to be worked out.

Having a Protestant-majority Parliament and a Catholic-majority population sounds like a recipe for more upheaval. Not that Parliament would be in any way democratic at this point anyway, but still… one more snag in the system.

Cyril V- 1556-1589
House of Devon

84478100-DA82-4A45-8CC3-87840F71AB65.jpeg

The reign of Cyril V is often regarded a failure however this picture is largely coloured by the events of his final years on the throne. For much of his reign England grew in strength and wealth as his government built on the advances made by Simon II.

Arrogant and badly in need of funds, Cyril V tended to pocket the estates of deceased nobles releasing them only after a substantial sum was paid over or, gifting them to his close personal retinue. The elevation of certain knights namely Sir George Vector and his own cousin John Kent to unheralded positions of power while denying inheritance to established families pushed the Parliament to the brink on several occasions. Time and again, often through armed intervention, Sir George and Sir John would be banished for 'poisoning the king's peace' only for them to return once the fuss had died down.

Cyril V was restless, constantly touring his lands. He soon received a false reputation for generosity and during the general famine of the early 1570s he distributed alms widely. He became well liked amongst the English nobles as he generally let them get on with their own business, stepping in only to break up monopolies and ensure fair prices, whilst slowly pushing out the more corrupt officials. At the start, England was generally peaceful during Cyril’s reign and it only had occasional issue with disruption across the border as Scotland tore itself apart in constant revolt, with the House of Dunkeld finally losing it’s authority. He would lose a quick war with King Geoffrey VI of France and lose the remnants of his territory in France, with France reclaiming long lost international prestige at the expense of England’s.

The loss of territory with no effective response sealed Cyril's reputation and proved the last act of a often tempestuous reign. He would die in September of 1589 and was succeeded by his only son.

Cyril was probably lucky he didn’t start a civil war, meddling with the nobles’ affairs so heavily.

England needs to get over this navel gazing about religion, a nice war of revenge against the French will surely unify everyone regardless of faith. If not... well then things are even worse than I feared.

Epilogue
Epilogue:

King William I- Normandy- 1066-1089
King Robert I- Normandy- 1089-1123
King Cyril I- Normandy- 1123-1156
King Cyril II- Normandy- 1156-1199
King Cyril III- Normandy- 1199-1233
King Robert II- Normandy- 1233-1237

King Edwin I- Sydney- 1237-1302
King Eric I- Sydney- 1302-1310
King Eric II- Sydney- 1310-1354
King Herbert I- Sydney- 1354-1378
King Eric III- Sydney- 1378
King Cyril IV- Sydney- 1378-1420
King Edwin II- Sydney- 1420-1456

King Simon I- Devon- 1456-1536
King Solomon I- Devon- 1536-1542
King Simon II- Devon- 1542-1556
King Cyril V- Devon- 1556-1589
King Simon III- Devon- 1589-1602

* Gameplay Ends *

King Francis I- Devon- 1602-1623
King Francis II- Devon- 1623-1629
King Herbert II- Devon- 1629-1645
King Simon IV- Devon- 1645-1686

King Albert I- Adler- 1686-1702
King Albert II- Adler- 1702- 1718
King Albert III- Adler- 1718-1754
King Albert IV- Adler- 1754-1772
King Cyril VI- Adler- 1772-1789

President John Jenkins- 1789-1792
President Henry Jenkins- 1792-1794
President George Thompson- 1794–1796
President John Taylor- 1796
President James Clements- 1796-1797

King Cyril VI- Adler- 1797-1803
Queen Charlotte- Adler- 1803-1826

King William II- Carolus- 1826-1837
King William III- Carolus- 1837-1889
King William IV- Carolus- 1889-1904
King Simon V- Carolus- 1904-1932
King Cyril VII- Carolus- 1932-1967
King Cyril VIII- Carolus- 1967-2019
King Robert III- Carolus- 2019-

An awful lot suggested by that list of rulers. And the picture of Robert III seems to indicate that Britain here remains in a sort of 18th century time warp. As disturbing as it is intriguing.

An awful lot suggested by that list of rulers. And the picture of Robert III seems to indicate that Britain here remains in a sort of 18th century time warp. As disturbing as it is intriguing.
A necessary counter-measure to prevent the bloody and dark times of Republicanism ever recurring. If forcing the monarch to wear a powdered wig and cravat at all times is what is required to prevent such horror, well it is a small price to pay.

A necessary counter-measure to prevent the bloody and dark times of Republicanism ever recurring. If forcing the monarch to wear a powdered wig and cravat at all times is what is required to prevent such horror, well it is a small price to pay.
Sounds plausible enough. We do know how well the English take to having their monarchs wear silly hats.

• 1Like
Reactions: