• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General WVPM

Lt. General
23 Badges
Nov 14, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
For everyone who wants to test their modded unit stats, compare armies, run a simulation before fighting a battle
or simply wants to see V2 battles for a different reason: The Victoria 2 Battle Sim

So what is it??

It's a windows forms program with UI comparable to the battle screen, but with more details.

KqPCJj1.png

Features:
  • adjustable unit stats
  • roll the dice
  • see how a battle round progresses per step
  • units can move
  • adjustable dice modifiers (with original V2 pictures)
  • move your troops manually
  • includes the original unit icons, which can be used for whatever unit you like
  • drag and drop based
  • adjustable time between steps
  • in-depth statistics (kills, unit strength, organisation damage and organisation per turn).
  • automatic dice rolling (toggled by checkbox).
Color coding:
  • Blue:
    • Selected unit
    • Current unit (during battle phase)
    • Old location (during movement phase)
  • Red:
    • Targeted unit
    • Defeated unit which is removed from the battle (during cleanup phase)
  • Green:
    • New location (during movement phase)
Limitations:
  • I basically made up the movement system, since I don't fully understand it
    things such as units moving in and out of reserve on the flanks are not simulated
  • Units do not gain XP during combat since I do not know the formula for that
  • No terrain pictures
  • No names for generals
  • General modifiers (org boost) need to be applied through the unit stats
    general dice modifier is working
  • No victory screen
  • No withdraw mechanism
  • Only for land battles
  • When the dice are rolled a pseudorandom number is generated (0 min, 9 max) I do not know if the dice in V2 are using the same random number generator.
  • There is no extra damage or units staying in battle after they lost all their org (and got hit).
  • Units with no org but with strength can deal damage but die instantly
  • It works on the assumption that if there is no opposite unit to target, the unit to the right will be targeted (assuming maneuver > 0) if there is no target, then the unit to the left of it, else 2 tiles to the right, else 2 blocks to the left etc.
  • Unit strength is rounded according to the default integer rounding while organisation is rounded using the default decimal rounding, ingame the organisation numbers are rounded differently, but I am not sure how.
  • No special unit modifiers like +25% fort attack
  • When entering the tactics, check that the tactics are above the base tactics level. If so, use the value from the military screen (175% => 1.75) otherwise, use 1. (Source)
If anything is wrong or more features are wanted, let me know.
Copy rights note, the mechanics, unit icons and modifier icons all belong to Paradox, I do not at all claim any of them as my own creation. Also this battle sim may not be used for commercial purpose (so don't you dare think of selling it as an XBOX game).

Changelog:
Update 26-01-2016:
  • Fixed a bug where units would move several slots to the side (units move 1 slot/turn now)
  • Disabled input while the simulation is running to prevent problems
Update 27-01-2016:
  • It's no longer possible to manually move/add troops while a round is in progress
  • Strength and organisation values displayed in the target box during a round are now correct (they will no longer display the stats of before the round, but as they currently are).
Update 28-01-2016
  • Fixed a crash, when a unit was defeated but the battle wasn't over caused by the 27-01-2016 version
  • Improved moving empty unit slots around on the battlefield.
    • If an empty slot is dragged to another empty slot, it will no longer act as if a unit moved.
    • If an empty slot is dragged onto a unit, the unit will be removed with the unit removal effect now.
  • Increased performance of unit removal after a round.
Update 24-02-2016
  • Improved unit movement
  • The unit stat fields are backup at the start of a round and restored after the round, to make placing new units easier
  • Minor performance improvement during the combat phase
Update 06-03-2016
  • Manually removing a unit now actually removes it
Update 12-03-2016
  • Added forts to the calculation, fort level is the thing shown when hovering over a fort, not the building level itself.
  • Allowed units to be moved from attacker to defender and vice versa.
Update 12-12-2017
  • Added turn counter.
  • Added in-depth statistics per unit.
  • Allowed units to be named.
  • Improved performance.
Update 14-08-2018
  • Allowed units to be colored in.
  • Added save & load functionality.
Update 08-12-2023
  • Fixed a bug with tactics. Previously defender tactics reduced defender damage and vice versa. Now defender tactics reduces attacker damage.
  • Switched rounding strength damage from away from midpoint to floor.
  • (Technical) Recovered the code and ported it to .NET 8.
  • (Technical) Updated NewtonSoft to v13.
  • (Technical) Removed ILMerge
Update 10-12-2023
  • Fixed graphical bug introduced by porting to .NET 8.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Now make web-baseed version and let us battle other players armies with a leaderboard!
Half-jokes asides, thanks for making this, I'm sure it'll help us find new compositions :)

Reactions:
Awesome!

Reactions:
The only real downside to this is that it keeps freezing on me :p.
If you mean that it pauses after each turn, that is intended, otherwise, what do you mean?
I could add a button to let it just run turn after turn untill either side is defeated.

Last edited:
If you mean that it pauses after each turn, that is intended, otherwise, what do you mean?
I could add a button to let it just run turn after turn untill either side is defeated.
Its that sometimes, I am too hasty, and I click before the turn is over. Then the thing freezes, saying: "Not Responding". Then I wait half a minute and it comes back so I reprimand myself for being so hasty.

I'll look into it, probably I'll prevent it from doing something with the click if it's still running.
Edit: I disabled input while the simulation is running, but I failed to find a way to prevent clickspams from forming a queue, so just take it easy with the buttons
Edit2: I found a way to prevent clickspams to form a queue, so feel free to spam as much as you want :D

Last edited:
Added forts into the calculation, fort level is what the tooltip says, not the building level.
I also allowed units to be moved from the attacker side to the defender side and vice versa.

Should I add a result screen?

Hmm I've seen the EU4 simulator, it gives you the chances based on a number of iterations, I suppose I could do something like that.
But basically per iteration.

I updated the Battle Simulator with in-depth statistics per unit as well as the ability to name units and I added an auto-roll mode which automatically rolls the dice for you every 5 turns (turns are shown as well now).

Hmm I've seen the EU4 simulator, it gives you the chances based on a number of iterations, I suppose I could do something like that.
But basically per iteration.
Take your time...I'm still screwing around with a one-nation model world to see at what tech level it is possible on a barter basis to produce enough so that everyone can get various levels of daily goods.

It's no longer possible to manually move/add troops while a round is in progress

Could you allow this to simulate "reinforcements." Would be useful to know if your troops can hold out in a good defensive area as a doom stack comes until your reinforcements can arrive.

Could you allow this to simulate "reinforcements." Would be useful to know if your troops can hold out in a good defensive area as a doom stack comes until your reinforcements can arrive.
I only disabled adding units during a round (day), you can still add or remove units between them.
The reason you cannot add/remove units during a round is because it makes no sense, in game a round happens instantly, here I show you the units firing one at a time.

I only disabled adding units during a round (day), you can still add or remove units between them.
The reason you cannot add/remove units during a round is because it makes no sense, in game a round happens instantly, here I show you the units firing one at a time.

So the game adds reinforcements in between rounds and not during them?