• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for the support! Here is the next update

Act I – Of compromises and astuteness
Part 1: The Carolingian Europe

“Amor de fradeło, amor da korteło”
“Love between brothers is love made with knives”
-Łuixzi Eriso commenting the actions of the Pope

angelo%20partecipazio%2010.gif

Doge Agneło Parteciako

The election of Agneło Parteciako (or Participazio) as Doge represented the true revolution of the period. Since the formal acquisition of political independence from both the Frankish and the Byzantine empires, Venice had grown in fame and power; but it was far from being important on the world stage. It was likely for Charlemagne, king of the Franks and Emperor of the Romans, to attack the city, but there were two main reasons why he wouldn't: first, the treaties had just been stipulated, and second, Venice was still in the interests of the Byzantine emperor, who would had intervened in a potential war. Taking advantage of the situation, Doge Parteciako managed to improve the international relations with the two great powers. He sent a ship full of several spices which his country imported from foreign countries, and though it was nothing compared to the richness of Byzantium, the emperor Nikephoros I accepted the gift. More important was the treat signed with the Franks on January 811, a few days after the Doge's election: to assure its freedom it was agreed that the Frankish army should be allowed to step into the venetian territory. After these events, the Bulgarians started to assault the Empire from the east, making it impossible (in a few years) for it to engage other wars.

The two wars with the Papal State
In 811 Pope Leo III, who crowned Charlemagne Imperator Augustus on Christmas Day, 800, guaranteed the autonomy of the newborn Republic. As the following events revealed, it was only a way to guarantee the city for himself. On August and Semptember 813, Leo III repeatedly insulted the Doge's authority in his Sunday celebrations and public speeches, often stating the “inacceptable existence of Venice in front of God” with the pretext of the recent secession from the allied Franks. Eventually, in January 814 Leo III declared war upon Venice, and San Marino and the Asturias honoured their alliance with the church.
The first Papal-Venetian war was nothing but a border friction. The city was defended by three thousand soldiers and almost two thousand people volunteers, but nothing could have been done against the ten thousand strong papal-sanmarinian army; despite everything, the enemy never crossed the borders because of the importance that the Fankish Empire and its relations with the involved countries still had in the national stabilities. Between February and March 816 San Marino and the Asturias accepted a white peace and at the beginning of the new year the Pope too signed the peace for war inactivity.

230px-Reislaeufer_Luzerner_Schilling.jpg

The Papal Army was composed most of mercenaries

Eight years were passed, and three Doges had been elected (Łuixzi Mèstre (815), Fabrisio Dołfìn (819) and Łuixzi Eriso (823)), when the Pope declared war once again in 824. This time it was for real: almost fifteen thousand soldiers walked through the italian peninsula, from Rome and San Marino to Venice, passed the border and faced the small venetian army. The battle lasted only one day, and the combined militia of the church besieged Venice. The capital lost many of its men, and the walls almost fell, but Doge Eriso finally managed to sign a peace with the Pope: during December 826 Venice conceded defeat, and the hostile army eventually got off the city, leaving it in misery.

scaled.php

The siege of Venice in a later picture. Accented are the fear of the people and the fire, set from the Sanmarinian archers.

The montenegrin expansion and the sicilian revolts
Since the disastrous outcomes of the second Papal War, it was clear for the Venetians and the tribunes that the province needed stronger defenses and a tougher army. It was therefore elected a military candidate as the leader of the Republic, and his name was Carło Dołlfìn, brother of Fabrisio. He ruled from 827 to 831, and the most notable things he did were the erection of tougher walls to protect the city and the first attempt to build a strong navy. In 831 Marjo Trevixzàn, also a military, was the first truly important Doge for Venice. He built numerous alliances: the duchy of Barcelona, the duchy of Sardinia and later the duchy of Gotland, or Christian duchy of the Swedes; he then proceded to build a strong and numerous army (some seven thousand men) and to ensure them a better training than before.
In March 832, he thought the newly reformed army was ready for the first war of aggression of the Republican history: he sent the seven thousand men via mare, across the Adriatic, to the lands of Montenegro, declaring war against the small country, recently seceded from Byzantium. The army proved its strenght in the battle of Ulcinj, where it fought three thousand Serbian soldiers. The battle lasted two days, after that the venetians could put under siege all the principality. The voivod of Montenegro surrendered on June 1st 834, while his land was almost entirely occupied by the venetian forces. The peace included enormous losses for the voivodship: it had to annul all the international treaties, to pay 25 Ducats and to cede the provinces of Niksic, Pljevlja and Ulcinj, as well as the city of Trieste on the istrian coast.
In addition to these provinces, Venice had gained two more cities in the past years. Sicily was a possession of the Byzantine empire, but its inhabitants were of lombard culture, similar to the venetian culture. During 831 what has been called the Sicilian Revolts resulted in the annexation of Catania and Messina (Catanja and Mesina in the Venetian language): their citizens revolted against Byzantium, that was too busy resisting to the Bulgarian invasions to take care of its peripheral regions, and finally declared fidelity to the Republic of Venice, after Doge Trevixzàn suggested it to the rebels' chiefs.
Marjo Trevixzàn was re-elected in 835 and 839 due to his good work in the first four years of government, but had to leave the place to the Burocrat Pjero Połjàn in 843.

scaled.php

Venice in 834

The fall of the Frankish Empire
The 9th century had not been a good one for the Franks. They ceaselessly faced the Bulgarian invasions, and until 826 they seemed to resist without great problems. But the continuous attacks of Khans Krum and his son Omurtag finished to wear them out. It looked like an endless war, with no peace signed ever, and the death of Charlemagne in 826 was a crucial event for the Empire. From that moment on, it only lost men and territories to the nomads, but it hold its apparent integrity under the regency for William the Carolingian and his own reign. William died in June 837 and his son Octavius Henry was still too young to hold the country; his regency council wasn't able to handle the situation and eventually took a dramatic decision in 842: to split the empire into four different and independent kingdoms and to put them under the control of previous important dukes and counts. Those were: the kingdom of France (King Henry I de Montfort), the kingdom of Rohania (King John William I de Rohan), the empire of East Francia or Carolingia, virtual heir of the ancient Frankish power, and the voivodship of Dalmatia (Voivod Almos I Kotromanic).

scaled.php

The split of the Frankish Empire: Blue is France, Red is Rohania, Gold is Carolingia and purple is Dalmatia

This ended the Carolingian Europe, but not the Carolingian Period: the last member of the dynasty died on November 5th 920 in a dishonorable way.

Last edited:
Great,a new update!

Wait, Rohania? Rohan? Why is it not in Spain with Aragorn? :)

Good writing so far. I've never had the patience for Steppe Wolf.

Thank you :)
The de Rohan were a noble family native of Brittany (Rohan is a town), somehow in my game they managed to reach the throne of what in reality was called Lotharingia, but since the Kingdom took its name from the king's one (Lothair in reality), I thought that Rohania would be more valid.
I know that its just game randomness, but I like to think it went this way, and this is what happened according to the history book :D
I made a quick research and I didn't find any Rohan in Spain :/

Last edited:
Thank you very much!
I'm sorry for not updating in a while, I had a busy week, but now here's the next part! Hope you enjoy it :)

Part 2: The territorial and economic expansion

15%20giovanni%202%20partecipazio.jpg
16%20pietro%20candiano.jpg

The two Doges of the first economic and territorial expansion, Pjèro Połjàn e Giròłamo Bardołìn

The fall of the Frankish Empire had enormous consequences in the 9th century Europe: Carolingia was left in a dark period of rebellion and riots, so that Byzantium could focus on pushing away the Bulgarians and conquering their lands. The other newborn kingdoms were much unstable too, being feudal and thus fragmented, and Venice took only advantage of this situation: between 845 and 847 the Republic obtained two provinces in the Teraferma, which were the first approaches to the mainland of the italian peninsula and the embryo of the future nation of Venetia. The new eperor of Carolingia Octavius Henry, who ascended the throne on June 6th 845, asked help to Doge Pjèro Połjàn in the name of the old friendship between the Franks and the Venetians, to crush the rising masses of people in the south of the country. Poljàn accepted without second thoughts and sent the army (the Armada de Venesia) in help of the Carolingian troups and temporarily saved the province of Udine and its surrounding lands. In exchange for its help, Doge Połjàn was rewarded with the direct control of the city of Udine (of Venetian Culture). On August 13th 847 Giròłamo Bardołìn, diplomat, managed to buy Treviso (Trevìxzo in Venetian) from the kingdom of Rohania which was selling its territories due to the difficulty to keep them quiet. Trevìxzo was also a Venetian cultured province.
Venice also improved its economy by enlarging its ports and markets, and by increasing the decentralization, as the Republic got more lands to rule.

The war against Zeta
During October 847 Djorde I Trpimirovic declared the independence of Zeta from Byzantium. Zeta was in fact the heir of Montenegro, and Venice felt the right to conquer those lands to reunite all the serbs under its territory and authority. On November 5th Doge Bardołìn profited of the temporary weakness of the voivod to attack it, and war was declared. It had been divided in two main parts: in the first year and a half Venice was strong and easily occupied all the country, beating the serbian army of two thousand men in the Battle of Uzice (December 2nd 848) and quickly forcing the voivod to a peace; vassalization was demanded, as well as the revocation of all the claims on the territories of the old Montenegro and the payment of 75 ducats.
On the other hand, Venice had to face Raska and the Vikings, allied of Zeta, that reached its side in the war during November 848, and it wasn't as easy. In spring 849, Mesina and Catanja were besieged by fourteen thousands Vikings and the Armada de Venesia was busy fighting the strong Raskian army. In order to lose the less possible, Bardołìn eventually managed to sign a peace with the two enemy countries conceding defeat but losing actually nothing. Again it was proved the ability of the Doges to do the best for the Republic even against great nations such as the Vikings or, previously, Rohania, Carolingia and the Franks. For this, these Doges were remembered as astute and able diplomats.

scaled.php

Venice and its vassal in 847, after the acquisition of Udine and Trevìxzo and the war against Zeta

The time of troubles and the failed revolution in Carolingia
After the dissolution of the Frankish Empire, each new kingdom was suffering the consequences of the previous administration, but none of them was as affected as Carolingia. When emperor Octavius Henry ascended the throne, the country was already in deep crisis and ran by large peasants' revolts led by several counts in serach for power. In addition, the country had to face the Bulgarian invasions, which restarted a few years after the fall of the Franks, and the excommunication of its ruler. All the rebellions were the preambles of the fall of Carolingia, that happened twenty-two years after.
The so called Time of Troubles was widely known to be taking place since 842, but the official date when the emperor admitted publicly the state of revolution was the declaration of independence of Anhalt on February 1st 848, claimed by King Leopold Friedrich. The rebellions rapidly degenerated and more and more provinces joined Anhalt as the ideas of Leopold spread across all of Carolingia; Saxon people took power in the north-western part of the empire and eventually stated their total loyalty to the Anglo-saxon kingom of Wessex in Britain.
However, the main purpose of the revolution was to remove the Carolingians from the power and to end the empire, but this didn't happen: once East Francia lost Anhalt and Saxony, the revolution was confined to the Southern March, latinized Sudria, and the rebel armies were finally beaten and obliged to cease all the hostilities in 857.
Octavius Henry died a short time later on March 3rd 858 from an unknown infection at the age of twenty-seven, leaving the control of the wounded Carolingia in the hands of a regency council for his son John Casimir I

peasant%2Brevolt.jpg

The carolingian revolution in the countryside

Death_of_Wat_Tyler_Froissart.jpg

The revolution in the cities, were the counts hoped to gain more individual power taking advantage of the difficulties of the central Empire.

Last edited:
What are your long term goals?Unifying italy and capturing the meditterean?

My main objective is to be the more historical (well, alt-historical) I can, and my choices depends on what happens in the world. It is possible that I'll conquer Italy/the meditterranean, but I'm sure of two things: 1) I'm not going to form Italy, because Venetians have always distinguished themselves from "Italians", and 2) I'll focus on colonizing too, because it would be cool to see Venice colonizing :rolleyes:

Sounds good. Looking forward to more.

New update! This is quite long, haha :p

Part 3: The glorious years of Łorenso San Pauło

12%20giovanni%20partecipazio.jpg

Doge San Pauło

The year 859 brought the election of Łorenso San Pauło to the title of Doge in the growing Republic of Venice: his ruling period would had been known as one of the most bright and glorious of the early venetian history. It was a period of sovereing changes in Europe: Octavius Henry of Carolingia had died two years before leaving his son John Casimir I and a recency to rule his weakened empire; more or less contemporaneously, John William II de Rohan reached the throne of Rohania and Louis II de Montfort that of France. Westward of France ruled the muslims of Cordoba, which were experiencing a time of relative prosperity. Notwithstanding, on January 3rd, 862 Joao de la Cerda, a christian serviceman who gathered thousands of peasants in his rebel army, took control of the province of Porto on the atlantic coast naming those lands as Free Christian Portugal. San Pauło saw a good opportunity in forming an alliance.

Small wars (863-868)
The first 4 years passed without anything worth of historical record, but San Pauło was re-elected in 863. He considered to be justifiable an invasion of Ragusa, the small orthodox country north of Zeta, so he declared war in 866; nothing much happened, only one battle was fought, but the siege of the city of Dubrovnik lasted almost one year and a half and the commander of the venetian army admitted the incredible strenght and resistance of its inhabitants. Anyway, the city was forced into peace to became a vassal, change its official religion to catholic and to pay 25 ducats to the Dogado.

dubrovnik14.jpg

The fires of Dubrovnik

Shortly after the Ragusan war, the city of Tarragona declared independence from Gerona, a duchy in south-eastern Iberia; the duke of the divided feud immediately proceeded to a war and asked for the help of Venice, in which he had found an important ally. The Republic accepted to go to his aid and sent seven thousand men, who will later become one of the most famous and prestigious divisions of the Doge's Army, to contrast the four thousand mediocre secessionist soldiers.
This war was easily won too, and the peace was signed after 393 days of Tarragonian strenuous resistance, on October 26th-27th, 868: vassalization was requested, as well as the revocation of all the claims on Gerona and Andorra.
Here began the epic deeds of the Omeni de Taragona (Men of Tarragona), later sang by the romantic poet Jàni Fagìn: the 15 ships that brought them to Iberia went unexplainably lost between the land and the Balearic Islands, heading the Doge toward improving the republic's relations with the islamic emirate. But the Emir Muhammad I didn't allow the venetian troops to walk through its territories and so the seven thousand stuck soldiers had to wait for newly built ships that came only two years later.

iberia868.png

The political situation in Iberia. Great part of the peninsula is ruled by the Emir of Cordoba, including the Balearic Islands. On the eastern portion of the colored map, Gerona (Yellow) and Tarragona. On the atlantic coast, the Free Christian Portugal (green) ruled by King Joao de la Cerda, and the Astuirias.

Collapse of the feudal powers and Italian Wars (870-886)
The reign of the sickly John Casimir Carolingian, great grandchild of Charlemagne, lasted less than a decade: during summer 869 Ludwig III became new emperor. While the political integrity of East Francia was being slowly restored with him as head of the country, France and Rohania weren't spending good days: pressed by the internal feudal system, during 870 the two kingdoms exploded into several little duchies and archbishoprics. While France managed to mantain her power over most of her lands, losing only Orleans, Provence and Aquitaine, Rohania suffered the most from these political upheavals: to the north, it lost all of its Dutch and Belgian lands, including but not restricted to Hainaut, Liege, Brabant; in the italian peninsula, it lost all its territories to newborn countries such as Milan (King Massimiliano I Ruspoli), Ferrara (Duke Francesco Datti) and Tuscany (Doge Bonaventura Lessi), plus the Lombard Kingdom to the south of the Papal States and in Liguria. What had been Rohania was turned into Burgundy, mantaining the royal family of the de Rohan (King John William II).

penital870.png

The italian peninsula at the dawn of 870 AD, before the Ferrarese War

Taking advantage of this precarious situation, Venice declared war upon its new neighbours in Ferrara, improving at the same time the relations with Milan. The war was easy and right when San Pauło was re-elected once again, the peace was signed decreeing Ferrara's vassalization and the cession of Padua, claimed as <<venetian city>>. Meanwhile the Omeni de Taragona began their return to their homeland, and were rewarded for their services to the country by assigning them to the protection of the conquered province.
What followed were fifteen years of peace during which Doge San Pauło dedicated his time to improve international relations, signing treaties of military acces with Florence and Milan; he also enacted the Stato da Mar, formally dividing the political administration from the merchant administration: this is considered to be the true official baptism of Venice as a political state rather than a simple union of merchants seeking for trade.
Doge San Pauło also did everything to keep all the territories of the Republica together, and when the nobles from province of Udine began to ask for more autonomy, he saw himself obliged to deny them what they looked for. Maybe in future times it would be a bad idea, but as the recent fall of Rohania had shown, feudalism was a matter to avoid at any price.

In 886 Bonaventura Piombante was elected to rule in Florence, but he was known in Italy to be a mediocre military leader, unlike San Pauło. With the help of its vassal Ferrara, Venice proceeded to a war against the small merchantile republic.
Florence was allied with Milan, and this called the strong kingdom to war: it was the prologue to a series of wars between Venice and Milan themselves, mostly for the control of northern Italy.
This first war lasted only ten months but was the hardest the country had fought untill that moment: initially (February-March 886), a section of the army ran throug the Appennines to Tuscany, where victory was easy and the city surrendered after three months, forced to vassalization and to a payment of 350 ducats (Peace of Florence). On the milanese front, warfare was harder: numerous battles were fought, and even if at the south the venetian army had been able to make capitulate cities like Siena and Pisa, at the north it lost most of the conflicts. Willing to end the war soon, Doge San Pauło used the diplomatic technique that Bardołìn had used almost fourty years before against Raska and the Vikings: Venice would concede defeat, even though it had successfully managed to materially win against Tuscany.

kulikovo.jpg

A scene of the war of subjugation of Florence, also known as the first veneto-milanese war, taken from the battle of Soave, near Verona. The Venetians are losing

Meanwhile in Europe
Several things were happening in eastern europe at that time: in 882, Prince Svyatoslav I Naryshkin of the Radomichi, a Slavic people, converted to Christianity and proclaimed Othodoxy national religion, thus founding the Rus of Rzhev. Radomichi were the first slavic tribes to embrace what Romans would have called 'civilization'.
The Bulgarians were being pushed away of the balkans by force of arms. Greatest part of this work had been done by Byzantium, that was rapidly colonizing those lands, and the Great Moravs. Particularly, when they finally drove the nomads away from their lands, Milan I Podebrad proclaimed himself King of Poland.
On december 883 Khagan Krum II, tired of the unacceptable defeats that the Bulgarians were suffering in Europe, proclaimed the Khagan of the Old Great Bulgaria, in Crimea, believing to be destined to restore the prestige that his nation had had untill just a few decades before, and which now had lost. Many Bulgarians joined his cause.
In July 888, Lel I proclaimed the Kingdom of the Magyars, or Magiaria, following the defeat against the Rus of Rzhev in the battle of Bryansk; this meant the Magyars weren't nomads anymore.

slavsnorth883.png

Eastern Europe in 883. In the middle of the map, Poland, Bulgarian Khanate to the south, Dulebi and Poliani to the east (Red and Green), Devliani and Dregovichi to the north (Pink and Grey) and Vikings in Scandinavia.

The final years of Łorenso San Pauło (887-891)
San Pauło was re-elected one last time in the elections of January 887, but he was old and tired (he was almost 90); thus, his last mandate lack of great political decisions. The only notable events were the great fire of Venice, in which one thousand people died, and the annexation of Ferrara. Łorenso San Pauło died during winter 890-891, at the age of 92, a few days after the elections in which he didn't proposed himself as candidate. His rule saw the greatest moments for Venice since the foundation of the city, and left a heavy inheritance to the future doges, the future people who would have to rule the small city that became a great power.
At the death of Łorenso San Pauło, Venice was not a great country yet, but had taken the road to power and need.

img5.jpg

The funeral procession for Doge Łorenso San Pauło

ve891.png

The extension of the Republic and three of its vassals at the end of the 32 Glorious Years of Łorenso San Pauło's dogado

End of Act I.

Very nice update! Great to see you persisting with this, it is a unique subject.

Great!Thanks god it isn't dead :)

Thanks to you all for the support! It's important to me :)

This looks very interesting and well thought out. Although I wouldn't mind seeing some in-game screenshots :)

I tend to not use screenshots for mainly two reasons: first, I didn't take many of them, but the ones I needed to draw my own maps (I like drawing maps and it gives me freedom), and second, as I said at the beginning of the aar, I have to change a few nation names, so it would be weird to see a Kievan Rus where it actually is the Rus of Rzhev :D Anyway, I can post some screenshots from the last update:

crollofeudigennaio870.png

This is the fall of France and Rohania of 870. You can see East Francia (which is, Carolingia) and the seceded kingom of Anhalt next to Great Moravia - and north of "Switzerland", but that's just... random oddity implicit to Steppe Wolf I guess.
Also you can see the situation in the British Isles, Scotland has formed, the picts migrated to Ireland, there's an enormous northumberland and wessex is far from forming England, but we'll see.
In Mallorca there's..... San Marino! I know how this happened, but it's still funny

regnopolonia.png

This is Poland soon after its formation. You can see Byzantium pushing north the Bulgarians. It's gonna go worse for them, I can tell you :D

Dafak?Bulgaria not op in Steppe Wolf?What sorcery is this!

Wait, what does op mean? :D Anyway, I'm aware that usually Bulgaria gets ridiculously huge in Steppe Wolf, but maybe this is true only for Christian Bulgaria, while that is a pagan and nomad Bulgaria.
Once, I had this enormous Bulgarian Empire (I was playing as Dalmatia):

theheightofbulgaria.png

(Yes, that is mongolia for real. And that deep blue country to the east of Pechenegs is Goguryeo. And that Pskov is really that big.)
(To be honest, Venetia is the most normal game I've played with steppe wolf so far)

Bulgaria op in this mod,where? :D

Bulgaria op in this mod,where? :D

lol

Looks good subscribed.

Thank you and welcome, I hope you enjoy it :)

Great update! I wonder what Act II might bring.

Thank you! Who knows... let's see it now :D

Act II – Of power and need
Part 1: Venetia

“Gavèm da prèndare sòto eł nostro kontròło tùti i Vèneti,
gavèm da łibaràrłi tuti
e indebołìr eł bàrbaro règno de Milàn!”
“We have to take under our control all the Venetians,
we must free them all
and weaken the barbarian kingdom of Milan!”

-From the speech of Rovìgo (Venice, January 22nd, 900 AD)

20%20pietro%20partecipazio.jpg

Doge Otàvjo Rovìgo, the Great

Difficulties (891-894)
Soon after the withdrawal of Łorenso San Pauło, it was hard to a Venetian to think that any next Doge could have been better than him; especially if this was excommunicated. Thus happened to the unlucky Doge Łuìgi Łàndo, successor and first heir of San Pauło's Stato da Mar. In 891 the enmity between Milan and Venice still persisted, but the regency council for Giancarlo Ruspoli hadn't the power to declare war to the neighbouring Republic; King Massimiliano had died not much after his rival San Pauło. The most Milan could do was to excommunicate the venetian ruler, once the occasion had shown, and so it did, controlling the pope Marcellus II.
This obviously had heavy repercussions on Venice's diplomatic politics: Roderico I Borja, duke of Gerona since late 884, who never liked the venetian influence on his (controlled by force) country, broke the so long alliance the two nations had stipulated many years before in 827, when Dolfìn was Doge.
Other nations as well started to look at Venice with different eyes, it was not an unimportant little spot on the map as it used to be, it was worth an anathema.
However, the excommunication of Łuìgi Łàndo was lifted on May 6th,894, as work of Louis III de Montfort King of France.

CARLOMANroibaviere.jpg

The young Louis III de Montfort

Łuìgi Łàndo, often described as shy or even weak, was confirmed in the elections of 895 due to the lack of convincing candidates, but in fact he lost his charge in 899 to Otàvjo Rovìgo, charismatic military leader made of quite another mould.

The second Veneto-Milanese war and the proclamation of the Republic of the Venetians or Venetia (899-904)
Less than one year after his election to the guide of the Dogado, Rovìgo ordered that each province of the northern nation, the territories in northern italy, prepared an army of seven thousand units. On January 22nd,900 war was declared upon Milan, with an epic speech wrote out by the venetian historian Vałèrio Marìn:

“[...]
We have to take under our control all the Venetians,
we must free them all
and weaken the barbarian[1] kingdom of Milan!
[...]”​

The speech was extremely stimulating.
Milan had a stagnant army of twenty thousand men placed in its capital since the 886 war which moved immediately toward Trevixo, while twenty-eight thousand men (including the Omeni de Taragona) from Padua, Venice, Trevixo and Udine marched to Modena and upward to Verona and Bergamo. Backup came from the Republic of Florence, while Portuguese soldiers invaded Siena and Pisa. With the help of Florence, Leghorn and Lucca were quickly occupied, but the combined Tuscan-Portuguese militia had to fought a milanese delegation in Massa and Carrara on the Tyrrhenian coast.

The Armada de Venesia, or Doge's Army, was countered many times in the bordering provinces, won some battles and lost some others, and the war got longer. Around January 901, the war was almost won to the south and at a standstill to the north. During spring
things began to move, and in summer the decisive battles were fought: more soldiers – mercenaries – came from the occupied province of Verona, and the milanese army was repeatedly defeated in Brescia and Bergamo, untill the Armada was able to crush the walls of Milan and enter the city in the following winter. From that moment on, war was only a mere formality; the regency council with the adolescent heir fled to Novara and the commander of the venetian army Gìno Prandìn was free to control from the occupied capital the closing military operations. While Siena and Pisa had finally fell to the Christian Portugal in autumn 901, Bergamo and Brescia surrendered in summer 902. The florentine army besieged Liguria and the region capitulated a few months later.

Prandìn was planning to occupie the whole kingom, but from the height of the Alps the Royal Family had begun to recuit men to rebuild the scattered army, and Doge Rovìgo wrote him a letter in which he stated that it was better to start working for peace. While he was being re-elected, in January 903 the Kingdom of Milan accepted peace on tough conditions: as Bergamo, Brescia and Verona were considered to be inhabited by venetian people, the enemy had to cede them; the Merchant Republic of Genoa was created; all treaties with Orleans and Provence had to be canceled; a payment of 25 ducats (great part of the left over money) was imposed.

venezianischer_general.jpg

Venetian general Gìno Prandìn

The second Veneto-Milanese war was a true success and a great point in favour of Otàvjo Rovìgo; now Venice began to be recognized as a strong nation and a big power on the european stage. Its strenght was now not only the economy, as it had been in the past century, but also the army, well trained and motivated. Plus, after the war, Rovigo immediately tried to recuperate the relations with the defeated kingdom and, for some reason, in November 903 managed to sign an alliance. Maybe, some historian theorizes, the regency council was too scared of possible future wars to let such an occasion go. As of November 29th 903, the Republic of Venice had extended its influence over all of northern Italy.
In the meanwhile, Portugal had broke the alliance. King Jose de la Cerda was offended by the fact that, even if the victory in Tuscany was mainly due to his work, his favour hadn't been returned with any land.
One year after the end of the war, and one year after his re-election as well, Otàvjo Rovìgo proclaimed the Republic of the Venetian People, shortly known as Vèneto or Venetia, and that days, the 23rd-24th of January, national holydays. At the death of Łorenso San Pauło, it was hard to believe that somebody could match his glory, but thirteen years later all the venetians had to change their minds, and recognize Otàvjo Rovìgo's ability, naming him Rovìgo the Great (Rovìgo el Grando).

veneziavicini.png

The extension of the Republic and the political situation of Italy at the proclamation of the Republic of the Venetian People or Venetia (904 AD)

[1]As it was a distant descendant of the Frankish Empire.