Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Act II - Of power and need
    Part 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	palazzo_ducale.png‎
Views:	1418
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	57986  
    Last edited by Dari L. Benetka; 24-08-2012 at 19:53.

Introduction:
    Hello to you all, readers! I'm Dari Benetka and this is my first aar. First of all, I hope you'll forgive me some mistake because I'm not from an english speaking country so my speaking level is not perfect. Second, I will be playing as Venice using the Steppe Wolf mod (airotciV), from the year 811 untill my computer permits it (if the game keeps crashing, which usually happens when I play in the 21st century, or if the save file is corrupted... and so on, I'll end the gameplay). I have already played till 976 and it's been pretty interesting.
    The aar will be divided into different Acts (main historical periods) which in turn will be divided into different Parts (secondary historical periods). Maybe there will be a few insertions about culture or facts of the alternative world, but this depends on how the world will develop in the gameplay. I hope you'll enjoy this little creation of mine as I mostly enjoy playing Europa Universalis III and writing!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good luck! This looks very interesting!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Good luck i havt been followng steppwolf that much anymore but i do rember that africa and basicly anywhere you colonize became messes is that still true in your game?

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    I'll take a closer look at this.
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

Thank you everyone!
    @Selvetrica: basically yes, once I got an Egypt that colonized all of Africa, not a province missing. I didn't go on with that game, but I guess that if it imploded then the map would have been... pretty weird. In another game I was playing as Dalmatia, and in the first half of the 12th century the papal states reached the Atlantic coast of Sahara _ I hope nothing like this will happen in my current game, anyway I will probably "change" the name of some countries to make them sensible to exist (For example a Barcelona that doesn't own the city of Barcelona will change its name in the one of its capital, if possible).

Anyway, here is the first update!

Preamble – Of the Venetian people and the history thus far

”Παφλαγόνων δ᾽ ἡγεῖτο Πυλαιμένεος λάσιον κῆρ
    ἐξ Ἐνετῶν, ὅθεν ἡμιόνων γένος ἀγροτεράων,
    οἵ ῥα Κύτωρον ἔχον καὶ Σήσαμον ἀμφενέμοντο
    ἀμφί τε Παρθένιον ποταμὸν κλυτὰ δώματ᾽ ἔναιον
    Κρῶμνάν τ᾽ Αἰγιαλόν τε καὶ ὑψηλοὺς Ἐρυθίνους. “

“And the Paphlagonians did Pylaemenes of the shaggy heart lead from the land of the Eneti, whence is the race of wild she-mules. These were they that held Cytorus and dwelt about Sesamon, and had their famed dwellings around the river Parthenius and Cromna and Aegialus and lofty Erythini. “
    (Iliad 2, 851-855)

The Venetian people is nowadays known for its long history and great influence over the middle ages and the following periods. But where does it come from?
    There are many sources, writings of ancient historians and poets, and all agree with one only theory: the Eneti[1], as the Venetians were originally called by the Greeks, once lived in Asia Minor, in a region known as Paphlagonia, on the southern shore of the Black Sea. Homer tells us that the Eneti took part to the Trojan War, allied with the Trojans themselves, but after the defeat they were obliged to leave their native lands and relied to Antenore, a great chief who knew how to take his people to another home. He led a few thousands men from the coasts of the Black Sea through the Bosphorus and the dardanelles, down in the Aegean, north of Crete and then north across the Adriatic. He landed in modern day Padua, in the lands once belonging to the Euganei, that he drove out, and established his own kingdom with its capital, Padua, founded in the year 1183 BC.

Antenore and his Eneti's migration from Paphlagonia (red) to Eugania (green). The travel's route is in red.

The Veneti (a later Roman translation for Eneti) have been living there since that historical moment, while the Euganei were pushed in modern days Verona, Trent and Belluno, in the mountains, where they mixed with the local people.
    After a few centuries, the Venetians were peacefully conquered by the romans and started to share their culture and to use their language (Latin, from which modern Venetian comes from), and from that moment on it wouldn't reach independence until the 8th century.
    The transition between the 8th and the 9th centuries was crucial in the history of Venice: the sources tells us that a group of tribunes, military leaders, started to elect a Duke to guide the semi-autonomous province with its capital in Malamocco. The newborn state was under the influence of the Frankish Empire and Byzantium, but in a few decades the dukes managed to gain a formal total independence from the two greatest powers in the world. The dukes ruled until their death, which was often caused by other nobles and pretenders, but in the year 811 AD the first Doge was elected, the capital was moved to the Isles of Venice and it was set that the next elections should be after 4 years and so should be for the rest of the republican time.

Continental Europe and the Mediterranean in 811 AD. In green the Abassid Caliphate, Yellow in Iberia are The Asturias. Minor Italian states: the Papal States in grey, San Marino in deep blue and Urbino in lighter blue. The autonomous province of Venice is shown red. In Scandinavia rules the Vikings, in the British Isles rules several Anglo-Saxon kings, while in the east live the Proto-Finnish, Magyars and Khazars.

Our Venetian History starts here, with the election of Agnelo Parteciaco or Participazio, which was a great revolution: for the first time in many centuries, a country could call its government a Republic. Here begins the story of the Venetia, made of greatness and glory, of human baseness and height, of wealth and poverty, of troubles and luck, of power and need, of compromises and astuteness, through the Middle Ages and beyond.

Notes:
    [1]"Worthy of praise"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1341759264.png‎
Views:	14
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	58144   Click image for larger version

Name:	1341759265.png‎
Views:	9
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	58145   Click image for larger version

Name:	1341759264.png‎
Views:	1224
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	58146   Click image for larger version

Name:	1341759265.png‎
Views:	1406
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	58147  
    Last edited by Dari L. Benetka; 08-07-2012 at 17:03.
    My first AAR:
    VENETIA, a history-bookish venetian tale (811-1900s)
    with EU3-Steppe Wolf mod - Cancelled!

Success depends on forethought videonfan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Looks nice,will follow but why don't the pictures work?

I don't know They were working a few minutes ago _

EDIT: It should be all ok now. I still have problem with posting pictures in this forum, sorry
    Last edited by Dari L. Benetka; 08-07-2012 at 17:04.
    My first AAR:

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dari L. Benetka View Post
    I don't know They were working a few minutes ago _

EDIT: It should be all ok now. I still have problem with posting pictures in this forum, sorry
    Looks a good start.

I've had a look at the code for your images and its best not to use uploading directly to this site. Not only is the capacity very limited but you are restricted in how they show. Far better to sign up to one of the free(ish) image hosting sites - photobucket/image shack et al - load the image there and copy across. If you want more info on uploading etc, check out the AARland FAQ - there is a link in my signature

Quote Originally Posted by loki100 View Post
    Looks a good start.

I've had a look at the code for your images and its best not to use uploading directly to this site. Not only is the capacity very limited but you are restricted in how they show. Far better to sign up to one of the free(ish) image hosting sites - photobucket/image shack et al - load the image there and copy across. If you want more info on uploading etc, check out the AARland FAQ - there is a link in my signature
    Thank you! The problem is, I used an Italian site were you can upload images (It has always worked), but clearly there's something that disturbs the process in this forum. I'll try with imageshack next time
    My first AAR:

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

How are you gonna survive the franks?i think in Steppe wolf there is no canal to block them.Anyway good luck

I thought it would be very difficult, but at the end it has been easier than the expected. It was a matter of compromises and astuteness, everything is explained in the next update. Venice had other enemies to protect from
    My first AAR:

Second Lieutenant The Messenger's Avatar

Porto, not Oporto as you English people like to call it XD
    At long last, a History book AAR of Venice. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I wish you good luck and a joyful game.

My record time in Steppe Wolf before it crashes: 300 years
    I hope you have better luck, good luck!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Here's hoping your Steppe Wolf survives longer than my games do without crashing! As I said before, this looks a lot of fun.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

@The Messenger: I'm happy to be your "first venetian history book aar" I hope you enjoy it
    @Top hats daily: I seem to be lucky, because the game crashed only after the 20th century, or sometime when I had been playing for many many hours in a row

Thank you everybody, I'm working to Part 1 of the 1st act, but these days I'll be a bit busy so I hope to post the update for Saturday/Sunday
    My first AAR:

Europa Universalis IV

So you have played up to the 20th century? :O

Noooo, not with Venice! I was trying to say that if I play with any nation around the year 2000, then Steppe Wolf crashes after a few months of slow, extremely slow gameplay. In my game as Venice I'm currently in 976
    My first AAR:

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Subscribed.
    You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word - Al Capone

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) - Pvblivs Flavivs Vegetivs Renatvs

Stopping the 40 day plan: A French 1914 AAR Completed
    pAARallel Universes: A Germany 1936 Grand Campaign Abandoned
    • Cookie from DoomBunny for recognizing Dr. Strangelove references

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast