• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LegatusI said:
When do winter begins and when does it end?
From the Wikipedia article on Season :

600px-Seasons1.svg.png

Of course, we speak here of Northen winter : roughly 21st december - 21st march.

LegatusI said:
You see the great part of the winter is in the begining of the year thats why i say thats is the winter of 2009

But it begins in 2008.

And I'm sure everyone knew what was meant when the phrase 'winter 2008' was used, given the context.

My money's burning a hole in my pocket, but that doesn't mean I want to see them rush the game. After all, rushed Q4 products are the bane of a PC gamer's existence. If it's good it's worth waiting for so they can get it right.

SimuLord said:
My money's burning a hole in my pocket, but that doesn't mean I want to see them rush the game. After all, rushed Q4 products are the bane of a PC gamer's existence. If it's good it's worth waiting for so they can get it right.

Depends on what you mean by rushing. Rome was definitely rushed: it was terribly unbalanced, and gameplay elements like individual personalities, highly touted in the press releases, were little more than markers for future development. Add-ons, being smaller, usually fill in missing features in Paradox games, and only require the rigorous beta-testing that the company regularly expects from its players. So they aren't rushed. I suspect that Vae Victis will fit the pattern of EU3's NA and In Nomine, as well as Crusader Kings' Deus Vult: it will fill in features, and require extensive patching after players do the testing that Paradox should. It will not be rushed. And it will be eagerly absorbed by players who scream with joy, after paying more for gameplay that was, at least in part, promised for Rome's initial release.

Personally, I'm going to hold back on this one. I'm still pissed at Paradox for not delivering on what they promised with Rome. A few months after release I'll see what the general consensus is about Vae Victus, after all the fanboys and assassins get through shouting each other down. :)

I wouldn't bother with Vae Victis if In Nomine hadn't come out in the meantime. I don't mind parting with a few quid if an expansion can do what IN did to a game I thought was finished with. As it is I'll get it as soon as reviews confirm it wasn't a complete fraud.

Maupertuis said:
Oh, it will be released in automn 2008. Winter is still possible if VV is released after 22nd december.

from Paradox news :

New York, USA (October 15th, 2008) – Paradox Interactive are excited to announce the upcoming expansion for their Grand Strategy title Europa Universalis: Rome in Vae Victis, scheduled for release via digital download on GamersGate during the latter half of Q4 2008.

"latter half of Q4/2008" means nov.15-dec.31.
I bet on dec. 5 (just because :D )
So it'll not be technically winter yet.

Kliwarrior said:
"latter half of Q4/2008" means nov.15-dec.31.
I bet on dec. 5 (just because :D )
So it'll not be technically winter yet.
Now that would be a nice Sinterklaas present! :p