• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vandelay said:
I´d recommend against hardcoded rivalries like Rome vs. Carthage. Such rivalries should come from the geo-political sitiuation - bordering nations, trade conflicts, sponosring of piracy etc..

Unluckily, EUR rules doesnt allow for trade conflicts or piracy, so geopolitical reasons for rivalry are quite limited. But I see your point.

Another option would be making military party 'hate' those countries that control any of your nations' core provinces. Or merchantile party 'hate' those countries that have some resource that you're in badly need of but refuses to trade it with you...

I've been thinking perhaps faction would be a better word than party. Party seems to imply organization, while faction is more fluent. If you go with the word party historically minded people (like myself) will expect historical parties not just general goals. The groups in the senate seems more like factions rallying around a specific issue to me, than having the board ideological basis that the word party implies. That way the factions would simply be a way to measure wich issues are currently most important to the senate.

Andy_Dandy said:
Well, I would say the conflict between Rome and Carthago was destined to happen, sooner then later..... Sicilia was too important for both of them!

OK, so you (or a lucky AI) play Epirus, defeat the Romans and protect Magna Graecia. Why should Rome see Carthage as a natural enemy then?

If Rome has conquered Magna Graecia then a rivalry with a Carthage dominating Sicily is logical given the geo-political situation. If not, then not.

Doomdark said:
Every adult character in a republic is aligned with one of the parties, which provides the basis for a whole slew of character events. Moreover, each party gives a significant bonus when it is in power (when the ruler is from that party.) The exception is the Populist party, which represents dissenters of all kinds. When they are in charge, the country suffers a penalty.

I believe that there should be bonuses even in the case of the populist party. E.g. the country gets much less gold from taxes, but the population is happier and stability is cheaper (or perhaps revolt risk is lower).

Yeah the latin names and stuff do take away the realism if someone played as Carthage :D

"we've just crushed the evil romans, but we're going to copy the names of their laws for the next 500 years" ;)

actually, thats what half the dark age 'barbarian' nations did :rofl:

Vandelay said:
If Rome has conquered Magna Graecia then a rivalry with a Carthage dominating Sicily is logical given the geo-political situation. If not, then not.

I wont say logical, that is a strong word in a field that is not governed by rules (history). That is too deterministic.

The first punic war can serve as a fine example of how I hope the senate will work in VV.
Some senators were opposed to sending help to the Mamertines, because they feared the military power of carthage which was at that time superior to rome in every aspect (representing maybe mercantile/religious faction), in the debate the consul Appius managed to gather enough support, though.

Coinneach said:
Yeah the latin names and stuff do take away the realism if someone played as Carthage :D

"we've just crushed the evil romans, but we're going to copy the names of their laws for the next 500 years" ;)

actually, thats what half the dark age 'barbarian' nations did :rofl:

Yep, we call it still even Carthago instead of Qart Hadasht. :p
Province names should be also a bit more realistic and change able.
And maybe getting new noble families from conquered provinces.
Really new families, not members from some huge world-wide clans. :D

Sute]{h said:
I've been thinking perhaps faction would be a better word than party.

Problem is I think they chose "faction" as the official word for the various nations.

LegatusI said:
Not likely, unless they build a time machine :D
In that case they have alredy built it.

Winter 2009? God forbid! They said it would be released in Q4 2008 though, and atleast i think they have come quite a long way, and that only with 2 diaries. I believe it will be done somewhere around christmas.

LegatusI said:
They cant release the expansion in winter 2008, only in winter 2009
Oh, it will be released in automn 2008. Winter is still possible if VV is released after 22nd december.

from Paradox news :

New York, USA (October 15th, 2008) – Paradox Interactive are excited to announce the upcoming expansion for their Grand Strategy title Europa Universalis: Rome in Vae Victis, scheduled for release via digital download on GamersGate during the latter half of Q4 2008.