[UPDATED 12/08/21] Monetizing from Youtube videos containing Paradox Interactive material!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dose this include Soundtrack videos? (videos that play a track from a game with a simple image background) Are they allowed even if not monitized? The video in question is the song Alpha Centauri from Stellaris
The authorization letter is clear that permission is given to use content in "Let's play" videos. So no - you can't use soundtrack in your video if that is not "Let's play" video.

Im asking because from searching for the OST on youtube it looks like there are many Soundtrack videos from various uploaders that exsist but arent taken down
for example:
or

Last edited:
Im asking because from searching for the OST on youtube it looks like there are many Soundtrack videos from various uploaders that exsist but arent taken down
for example:
Yeah, there are also many videos that use copyrighted content of any kind - movies, music etc. - that are not being taken down. That doesn't mean that is okay. It still violates copyrights.

Anyway - I just explained what is written in authorization letter. But maybe @BjornB would have another answer for your question.

Yeah, there are also many videos that use copyrighted content of any kind - movies, music etc. - that are not being taken down. That doesn't mean that is okay. It still violates copyrights.

Anyway - I just explained what is written in authorization letter. But maybe @BjornB would have another answer for your question.

I just wish there was a way for copyright holders to just tell the uploaded to remove the video instead of immediately using youtubes copyright strikes

This is just causing emotional distress on my end even though the only real consequence that effects me is that I cant have custom thumbnails now

I just wish there was a way for copyright holders to just tell the uploaded to remove the video instead of immediately using youtubes copyright strikes

This is just causing emotional distress on my end even though the only real consequence that effects me is that I cant have custom thumbnails now

Well, the copyright owner can request youtube to have the video with pub and have all the advertisment benefits going to the copyright owner.
This is my case on some of my Fallout 4 video as the radio songs are also sold by major music companies.

The strike is to take it down, which is a whole different level.

Please note that the letter has been updated slightly as of today (June 3rd 2016).

No major changes. Just covering the Sabaton content for Hearts of Iron IV as well (you are not allowed to broadcast content with the Sabaton DLC's enabled since we don't own that fully)

Reactions:
I really love what PI's doing for their fans. There's not many companies that would go through these lengths to help youtubers. I'm more interested in putting up videos than money; however, I do monetize most of my videos. I was curious if you consider TimeLapse videos acceptable? I have no commentary in it; however, I'm thinking of doing more as I find these videos pretty relaxing.

Suppose I was to do something that was unrelated to the game, but I had the game in the background and shouted it out in the video. Would that qualify or is that not allowed?
Authorization Letter says it applies to "Let's play" videos or equivalent, so I would say that it's not allowed to use Paradox content in videos that are not related to Paradox games.

I apologize if this question has already been answered in this forum, but does this video policy cover non commercial videos that are not "Let's Plays"?

I'm interested in making a Youtube series about Tabletop role-playing games and wanted to use soundtracks from some of Paradox's games as background music, but I'm not sure from the current authorization whether or not that would be in breach of video policy - could anyone clarify this?

We've updated our Let's Play document and I've uploaded it to the first post in this thread. Please send that to YouTube should any issues arise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Cool, you guys are awesome.
I would like to ask your blessing to stream CK2 on hitbox :D

I also found out about your games on youtube. Gonna try to save money while I'm doing my 2nd college. When I have enough EU4 and Darkest Dungeon are next on my list.

Edit note: I have seen that there are videos of PDX titles on hitbox, I may do twitch aswell later, was hoping for a dev feedback cause browsing through the thread I have noticed that in an earlier version I assume only youtube was specified, and then people asked on the thread for twitch to be specifically included . I'm confused.
Sorry if I'm being difficult, I'm just trying to be as correct and as transparent as I can be
(2016.01.06)

Last edited:
In this letter it states :
"...1. the video is only displayed on the websites www.youtube.com and/or www.twitch.tv"

in the end-user agreement in states :
"2. Permitted Use
In addition to installing and playing the Game on your personal computer, you may also, under the terms of this EULA
i)Create and make publicly available so called "Let´s Play Videos" containing the images and sounds of the Game through the social media channels such as Twitch.tv and youtube.com , whether monetized or not."

My question is if your license agreement allows to post the video on different social media channel such as www.Vimeo.com ?

EDIT: I went back just to make sure before I logged off for the night and I found somebody asking "can we take soundtracks out of the context of their games" and was answered with no. I'd suggest adding that to the OP since I'm sure i'm not the only one to come through here hunting for an answer to that. Thanks for the informative thread and the support for your content creator community! I wish more companies were this relaxed about things!

Hello,

Just a quick clarification here, I skimmed through all 10 pages but didn't notice anybody get an answer for this beyond speculation, so I figured I'd reiterate with a bit more depth and hope to get a definitive answer.

My questions is, are we permitted to use soundtracks as backdrop music for videos showing content other than Paradox games? For example: on my channel I do a large amount of Elite: Dangerous (a first-person Space Sim by Frontier Developments) content including gameplay videos and timelapse recordings of the simulation of celestial bodies, and when I first started listening to the Stellaris OST after I bought the galaxy edition, I kept thinking how amazingly that music fit with the content I do for Elite.

I've been trying to find specific licensing for the Soundtrack for a while now and that's how I stumbled upon this thread. I understand that people can use Paradox content with attribution (and holy crap, Paradox you guys are amazing for that), I just wanted to know the extent of those usage rights beyond let's plays. I'd love to use Stellaris' music for numerous things and hopefully get people interested in it via the music, and I'm sure many other people are curious about the same.

I have a feeling that the answer would be no, given that it would open the door for people to just start spamming Paradox music in anything they make which would be no good, but I still figured it would be a good to clarify.

Thanks!

Last edited:
@TinyWiking

I just uploaded a Steel Division: Normandy 44 video and got a copyright claim for it.

The End of the World-8466 - Evgeny Emelyanov: 0:14 - 1:30
AdRev for Rights Holder, by: Lynne Publishing

Is this a legit claim? Does this policy doesn't include Steel Division? I just removed the audio for now, but just so you know.

@TinyWiking

I just uploaded a Steel Division: Normandy 44 video and got a copyright claim for it.

The End of the World-8466 - Evgeny Emelyanov: 0:14 - 1:30
AdRev for Rights Holder, by: Lynne Publishing

Is this a legit claim? Does this policy doesn't include Steel Division? I just removed the audio for now, but just so you know.
Will removing that audio allow you to get the money from it again or will this claiming continue getting the revenue?