• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So how do you propose to fund future development of games, some of which will inevitably flop?

PDS has about 5 LIVE games (HoI4, Stellaris, EU4, CK3 and Victoria 3) and a couple of other unannounced GSGs in development. Thats maybe 7-10 teams of developers some of whose work might never get profitable.

I mean, as a fan, I want more GSGs being developed rather than less.
I agree, but if PDX wants to make a SERIOUS profit it would be best for it to stop cancelling the development of GSGs which are NOT sequels (especially the one about the Cold War, I'm still waiting for that one). These days there is much talk about "diversity" but, curiously, we don't get to see any diversity in PDX’s GSG portfolio.

This is very disheartening. The previous price was wonderful because it was inexpensive for someone like me who has a fixed low monthly income. Sadly, I may simply have to cancel my subscription if it continues to increase in price. This is absolutely my most favorite game, but I just can't afford price increases.

Last edited:
So the 3-month subscription price changes from 13.99 now to 14.99 soon; a 1.00 increase.

I don't see what the uproar is about.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for your reply.
I have one more question. Would it be possible to pay for 2 months of subscription right now, at the current price? I will not be able to play games starting march, so I feel like a 3month subscription will be a bit of a waste.
This is a fairly niche case so we’re not 100% certain on a short notice, but we believe the 2-month scenario will not be possible. Ultimately you’d need to be able to “stack” subscriptions and that’s not a functionality supported by Steam right now.

What would be the price change of in regards to EU IV and HOI IV subscriptions in Brazil?
The new prices in BRL will be as stated below:
  • For EUIV:
    • 1 month: 28.99
    • 3 month: 53.99
  • For HOIIV:

OOF. And I was just getting back into Europa as well.

Going forward I think I'll just be canceling my subscription if I'm not actively playing the game a lot. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for me to pay the same price as a streaming service for a single game's dlcs year round. Especially a ten year old game like EU4. Regardless I'll still be playing the game from time to time which means I'll be coming back and paying for the subscription for a month or two each year instead of letting it auto-renew every month.

Down from $60 a year to $16 Paradox.

This should be pinned to the front of the forum. I happened to see this news on Reddit and when I launched HoI4, but it's easy to miss otherwise.

I am a subscriber but will have to re-evaluate now.

This should be pinned to the front of the forum. I happened to see this news on Reddit and when I launched HoI4, but it's easy to miss otherwise.

I am a subscriber but will have to re-evaluate now.
Yep I only saw it via reddit too.

Tbh I'm glad I don't need the subscription for EU IV, because I probably wouldn't sub and it's one of my favorite games.

HOI IV is now basically dead for me, which is kinda sad, because I played it in the last months for the first time since release. But a 60% increase is so ridiculous, that it's not worth it anymore, at least for me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi LordChristof,

I'm totally ok with the subscription increase, but I believe there's been a serious mistake for my subscription. I just got an email from Steam saying I would be paying $122.00 CDN a month. The conversion rate from USD to CDN is only 1.3x, so for a monthly sub, I'd expect to see $10.78 as the new recurring charge- NOT $122! See the attachment.

Can we get this fixed? NEVERMIND, I see it's been rectified. I will leave this up so that other players who got the same message know to refresh their subscription page to see it's been updated.

Thanks,
MDoulos

Attachments

• Screenshot_77.png
    Screenshot_77.png
    17,9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Hi LordChristof,

I'm totally ok with the subscription increase, but I believe there's been a serious mistake for my subscription. I just got an email from Steam saying I would be paying $122.00 CDN a month. The conversion rate from USD to CDN is only 1.3x, so for a monthly sub, I'd expect to see $10.78 as the new recurring charge- NOT $122! See the attachment.

Can we get this fixed? NEVERMIND, I see it's been rectified. I will leave this up so that other players who got the same message know to refresh their subscription page to see it's been updated.

Thanks,
MDoulos
FYI subscription payments are entirely handled by Steam, we are not involved. If the refresh hadn't fixed it, we'd have to ask you to contact Steam Account support I'm afraid!

FYI subscription payments are entirely handled by Steam, we are not involved. If the refresh hadn't fixed it, we'd have to ask you to contact Steam Account support I'm afraid!

How do they know to change the subscription price? Is that a response to an email request and not a toggle PDX has access to?

I assume that they don't manually update the subscription price for each Steam user, so there must be some sort of centralized pricing mechanism. So if I saw that error, everyone would right? In that case, since they control it, you guys might need to have gotten involved if they for some reason denied that the subscription price was wrong. I can't imagine anyone would deny that, but still. :p

Reactions:
How do they know to change the subscription price? Is that a response to an email request and not a toggle PDX has access to?
My point is they have calculated the charge to you incorrectly in some way, only they can fix that. I'm sure Paradox do not go in and manually set the price in the dozens of individual currencies the Steam Store supports!

This is a fairly niche case so we’re not 100% certain on a short notice, but we believe the 2-month scenario will not be possible. Ultimately you’d need to be able to “stack” subscriptions and that’s not a functionality supported by Steam right now.

The new prices in BRL will be as stated below:
  • For EUIV:
  • For HOIIV:
Thanks

Sadly 60% hike is 2 much for me. I was happy paying for HOI+EU sub I was hoping for one unified sub for all games not hike for both of those prices. I'd rather save up that money now and buy DLCs 1by1 for now both canceled will see how it will go in the future.

I wanted to try new content pack for HoI4 today, but price for one month subscription has doubled in my country. Sorry to hear that. Hope this will not be a problem for others, for me it is too much :(

Last edited:
Reactions:
Do you ever plan to make a discounted subscription for people that only need 1-2 expansions?? I can’t really justify a 9pound subscription for 1 expansion.
No, since you can't pick and choose which DLC are part of the subscription. It will always be the same price regardless of if you own any DLC already or not.