• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
east_emnet: Serbia is certainly surrounded by enemies. I've played up to Stefan's grandson. And, let me tell you, a lot of wars. :p
stnylan: Thanks. I want to make the story as interesting as I can.
CSK: The children will hopefully work together :) I can see some intrigue between them in the future though. Especially between Vukan and Stefan. As to the chancellor, she is a mystery to us all. :D

Part One: Saint Stefan the Grand Zupan Continued

Castle Nemanjic inner courtyard, 3 days after the ceremoney:

Ljutomisl brought his hands near his mouth and tried to warm them as best he could. It was a bitter cold January day, and, as the sun set, ice started to form along the roofs of the castle buildings. “Cold as a witches tit, eh marshal?” Ljutomisl heard from behind him. It was his second in command. Ljutomisl merely grunted in reply. He was not in a good mood. Cold like this prevented the forming of good moods, and Ljutomisl wished Katrina would show up quickly to deliver Stefan’s orders. Earlier that day, a courier came to Ljutomisl who was drilling his troops on the marshalling grounds. He had told Ljutomisl to bring fifteen of his best men and wait for Katrina at the inner courtyard of the castle around midnight. This was all by the direct order of Stefan, who had not been seen around the castle since the great feast held in his honor three days ago.

Ljutomisl was beginning to wander if Katrina would show up when he heard a wolf howl in the distance. A few moments later, there was an answering howl that sounded even closer to the walls. His soldiers stood still and took quick glances at each other. Everyone knew that bloody deeds would occur if the wolf howled. Ljutomisl noticed he had unconsciously gripped his sword and let out a quiet chuckle. Then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a shadow approach the group. He let out a sharp whistle to signal his men to stand ready. The shadow approached quickly and stood before Ljutomisl. Two white hands appeared and removed the cowl of a cloak to reveal the face of Katrina; the chancellor.

Ljutomisl gave a quick salute and said, “Good eve Katrina. Now what would require fifteen soldier at midnight?” Katrina released some of the tension from her face and replied, “At ease, Ljutomisl. I trust you have your very best men chosen?” Without even waiting for a reply, she continued, “Good. You have a very important mission tonight marshal. As you know, most of the guests for Stefan’s birthday have already left. But, on Stefan’s request, his two vassals Aleksii and Ivan have remained. Your task, marshal, is to apprehend those two men. They are to be thrown into the dungeon and stripped of their titles for treason against their lord.” Silence thickened in the air after those words. Ljutomisl did not know what to say. He could tell that his men were in awe too, for they had started to breath out of their gaping mouths. Katrina moved closer to Ljutomisl and gave him a stern glare. “I assume there’s no problems marshal? These are the direct orders of Grand Zupan Stefan Nemanjic!” she said quietly but with a distinct edge in her voice. Ljutomisl replied quickly and with gusto, “Yes ma’am. The Grand Zupan’s orders shall be carried out!” He gave Katrina a flourishing salute, and turned to his men. “You heard the lady!” he said, “We must arrest Aleksii of Ragusa and Ivan of Naissus. Now stop standing their like toothless Hungarians and let’s move!” At this, his troops regained their composure. They were his best fifteen, and they had his confidence. Ljutomisl gave a quick nod to Katrina and led his troops towards the Castle entranceway. He might not understand what was going on, but he would never deny an order from his lord Stefan.

*******​
“Aleksii of Ragusa; open the door immediately!” A pounding from the common room awakened Aleksii. He turned to his wife and noticed she was awake also. A look of fear was in her eyes and she grabbed Aleksii by the waist. “Who could it be Aleksii?” she said. Aleksii was scared as well, but he replied, “I’m sure it’s nothing my dear. Maybe the Grand Zupan died and they want to tell us the news.” This remark didn’t even cheer him up. Aleksii had no idea what these people wanted. *pound**pound* The knocking became louder. Aleksii got out of his bed and walked into the main chamber of his apartments within castle Nemanjic. His wife followed quietly behind him. He gave her one last comforting look and opened the door.
2Ragusa.jpg

Once the door was slightly open, a mighty force knocked the door right into the chest of Aleksii. The force knocked the breath out of him and threw him across the room. Aleksii tried to get up, but he couldn’t get his bearings straight as his vision was flashing. He heard the sound of many boots stomping into the room and the scream of his wife. A gruff voice came from the doorway and said, “Ah, here he is boys. Aleksii of Ragusa. The traitor himself.” Two hands grabbed Aleksii by the shirt and pulled him to his feet. As Aleksii’s vision cleared, he saw a man in the gear of a soldier standing before him. He looked much stronger than Aleksii and had a grim look on his face. Finally, Aleksii recognized the man. It was Ljutomisl Konstantin; the marshal of Stefan. Aleksii gasped for air and said, “I..I demand to know…what’s going on hear?” Ljutomisl began to laugh, and his men soon followed. Aleksii looked to his right and saw that his wife was pinned to the ground with a gag in her mouth and tears running down her face.

A look of horror spread across Aleksii’s face. “Well, if you must know rat!” Ljutomisl said, “You have been charged with treason against the Grand Zupan. Conspiring with Croatian spies and Bosnian usurpers it seems. You’re being stripped of you noble titles. In fact, you’re worthless now, just like us commoners.” Wolfish grins appeared on the soldiers faces. Aleksii knew well enough the hatred of the common man for their overlords. He replied, “That is… is preposterous! You have no…” A quick blow to the side of his face stopped this remark. Aleksii’s vision was gone again and the only thing keeping him up was Ljutomisl’s grip on his collar. Another blow fell into Aleksii’s gut, and blasted the breath from his body. Ljutomisl let go of Aleksii and he fell to the ground. He heaved for breath as blood ran out of his mouth. “Please,” Aleksii said, “Please don’t kill us. Or, at least let my wife go!” After what seemed like an infinity of silence, Ljutomisl crouched beside Aleksii and pulled Aleksii’s head from the ground by his hair. He said to Aleksii, “This is your lucky day, filth. Stefan has shown you mercy, and you will be thrown in the dungeon. As for your wife?” Ljutomisl glanced at Aleksii’s wife and Aleksii followed suit. “She’ll be the entertainment for my soldiers tonight,” said the marshal. Aleksii began to scream at the top of his lungs. How could all of this happen? To think that just a few minutes before he was secure in his power. He screamed and screamed until a flash of pain and red light silenced his thoughts.

******​

Ivan was having the time of his life. He had sent his wife and children back to their keep in Naissus that morning, and Ivan was taking advantage of the freedom. He had spent most of the night in some of the many taverns that strew the city. The beer was thick and the women were plump. That was all that could be wished for Ivan thought. Being a rich noble like he was, Ivan always got what he wanted. And, if the commoners didn’t acquiesce, his bodyguards were able to convince them in the end. After his tenth mead and third woman, Ivan was ready to call it a night. “Ha-ha, what a night lads!” he said to his guards, “Back to the castle!” It was half past midnight as they began their walk. The air was extremely cold. Ivan pulled his cloak tighter. Or, at least he tried. The ten meads certainly affected him.

When they entered the entranceway of the castle, Ivan dismissed his guards but one. After saying their farewells, Ivan stumbled up the spiral staircase to the floor which he was on. When he arrived on the floor, be began to walk slowly, admiring the lovely artwork of the castle. “Stefan really knows how to decorate a place!” he said. His guard gave a solemn, “Yes, my lord,” in reply. After ten minutes of walking, Ivan came to a stop. He just realized how lost he was. “Blast it all to hell! I’m lost! I suppose I shouldn’t have drunk so much,” Ivan said half-heartedly to his guard. Ivan was about to turn around when he heard a pounding from around the corner. Motioning to the guard, he made his way down the hallway. “Ivan of Naissus! Open the door!” came a shout from around the corner. This stopped Ivan in his tracks. He turned to his guard, who also had a concerned look on his face. After motioning for his guard to stay quiet, Ivan looked around the corner. Standing at his apartment door was a group of soldiers. By their colors, they were obviously troops of Stefan the Grand Zupan. Some of them had their swords drawn, and Stefan’s marshal Ljutomisl was at the head of the pack. They pounded on the door once more. “Ivan of Naissus! Open the door immediately!” they shouted again. Ivan was beginning to believe this wasn’t a courtesy visit.

Suddenly, one of the soldiers let out a yell, and they all looked directly at Ivan. Ivan’s mouth turned dry and he suddenly lost the effects of all that alcohol. One of the soldiers yelled, “There he is!” and they all began to run towards him. Ivan began to draw his sword as someone pulled him from behind back around the corner. It was his guard, who Ivan had forgotten all about. He had his sword drawn and said, “My liege, you must flee from here! I will hold them off, get to the stables and fly to Naissus!” He then pushed Ivan in the opposite direction of the soldiers and Ivan started to run. His mind was racing. "What is going on? Did Stefan somehow suspect that I was working with the Byzantines?" Ivan had believed Stefan weak and senile; ready to pass the realm to his children. Obviously, that was not the case. Ivan took one glance back, and saw his guard flailing his sword in a wide arc. One of the soldiers was on the ground clutching his stomach, which was seeping blood. Good, Ivan thought. At least one agent of Stefan would pay tonight. The rest of the soldiers were slowly advancing on his guard, and would soon overtake him. Ivan would have to remember that guard and honor him. Time would come for that after Ivan escaped and took revenge upon Stefan for this attack.

Last edited:
igorvragovic said:
perhaps this is the only scenario that can prevent fast expansion (except strict house rules), as Mongols will come in less than 20 years and crush everyone

Yea, I find the only scenario I like to play nowadays is the Third Crusade. There's more detail in the dynasties, provinces start out wealthier and thus more options, and, of course, you get to the monghols quicker.

On a side note, it's taking me a long time to get to actual gameplay. :p Don't worry folks, there will be plenty of wars. I'm dreading of writing about it all! :rofl:

So one count accepted and the other didn't? Two good constrasting scenes.

Wow, that last update...like reading a good book. Excellent.

Excellent writing and it appears your ruler has three strong sons (eventually) to succeed him. Sounds as though he will need it what with all the intrigue and potential for conflict in the region. I enjoy some of the taunts they give each other showing the regional biases. Keep it up! :)

Very good contrasts, both between the men but also their wives. While Aleksii's wife has the worse fate than her husband, who only is thrown in the dungeon, Ivan's is save at home while her husband has to run for his life.

Ivan should better only go for Naissus to get the most important things and rather run to the Byzantines, I don't think Stefan will show all too much mercy.

And I still don't believe Stefan the second and Vukan can work together. Maybe they will learn with the time, but I fear they have to do it the hard way.

I really liked your AAR :) It really attracts attention with colorfull descriptions. I'm sorry I didn't spot it earlier but it's never too late :)

Anyway,just one suggestion for better historical understanding.Why calling it "Castle Nemanjic" ? Stefan Nemanja had his "capital castle" (although it is quite disputed by modern historians that Serbia at the time had one) in the forteress of Ras (the whole area is called Raska (Rashka,Raška,Рашка)),and later,when he conqered Naissus region he moved his capital to Nis (Today Nis,Ниш,Niš, coincidentally less than 30 km from my town of Aleksinac :) ).

And just to add to the discussion, Stefan was the first name of all Serbian monarch of the Nemanjic dynasty (even Bosnian ban,later king Tvrtko chose this "first" name because he was crowned as serbian king and his grandmother was of Nemanjic dynasty),but it ment "Crowned" because of the greek term "Stefanos" that means wreath or opened crown (for difference of "Orphanos"-the crown of the Emperors of Rome-Byzanty,the closed crown);So Stefan itself means "the crowned one" (Stefan Nemanja also recieved wreath form Byzantine Emperor Manuel Comnenos,but not the wreath of kingdom). Stefan Nemanjic (sometimes credited as Stefan II Nemanja-in english speaking world,and in Wiki) is called Првовенчани (the first-crowned) by modern historians,in the middle ages it wasn't used.Other kings had Stefan as their "first names": Stefan Radoslav, Stefan Vladislav, Stefan Uros I-V in addition to their "common names",like Milutin, Dragutin, Dusan ...

And another thing, i think you said Rastko was middle son of Stefan Nemanja; It can't be true. Rastko was the youngest of three brothers. I hope i didn't interupt to much.
Anyway great AAR and I'm looking forward to following it.Keep up the good work!

Last edited: