• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mxancl

Recruit
3 Badges
Feb 1, 2022
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
When I try to start the game, eu4.exe started successfully but then died (I check it through Task Manager). I didn't use any mod, just use pure vanilla environment to start eu4. My windows is dev version (Build_26063.ge_release.240216-1326), before I updated my windows to it, I can start the game. error.log is empty
What can i do to fix this issue or what other information i need to supply?

Right click on eu4.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Edit settings.txt to say:

refreshRate=60
fullScreen=yes
borderless=no

vsync=no

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode.

IF that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log

Right click on eu4.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Edit settings.txt to say:

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode.

IF that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log
I tired the method but it didn't work
The error.log is empty and I can't find exceptions.log in logs folder

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    107,2 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    323 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    1,9 KB · Views: 0
As you can see in that dxdiag the game is crashing on dxgi.dll . I'm not 100% sure of what that DLL is but it is clearly part of DirectX,so a core Windows module.

This game only uses DirectX 9.0c so first try this installer
(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Then this one
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

If still no good, try this Windows repair tool

Good luck!

Well I suppose that is possible, but OTOH that would affected every Windows 11 player, which we are not seeing - as yet anyway!

[IMPORTANT NOTE FOR GAMERS – UPDATED!] Some popular games may not work correctly and cause a bugcheck (green screen) when launched on the most recent Insider Preview builds in the Canary Channel. Please be sure to submit feedback in Feedback Hub on any issues you see with playing games on these builds.

Ah yes, well, our games are not written or tested on beta or preview OSs, so that could well be the problem here. Do report it back to Microsoft, of course.

All the best!

Hi! I've the same problem. I managed to play the game with all DLCs launching eu4_profiling.exe, I don't know if this workaround may work also for you, or if it's not ok for some reason.
Hoping that Microsoft releases a bugfix as soon as possible