• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2Ppe2M1.png

Chapter Two: United Republic of Poland, Lithuania and Ruthenia
Episode XIV - Gates of Hell

Poland was thrown into war against two mortal enemies again. And there was still no sight of French "grand invasion" about which Kościuszko heard from French ambassador every day.

"I assure you Mr. President, this time Empereur wants to conquer Germany and Russia for once and all! New Grande Armee will have million, no, three million soldiers, which will capture Berlin first, then aid Poland, and then together we will conquer Moskva and bring freedom to Europe!"

During Kościuszko's insurrection even peasants learned about this madman ruling France. Everytime Poles were getting in troubles because of Russian or Prussian victories, officers were trying to cheer them. "No worries, we just have to keep them at bay and wait until Napoleon will destroy them!"

Napoleon was sort of mystic figure for most of Poles, even peasantry knew about and worshipped him. A hero from far away land of Francja, who has million soldiers under his command, million soldiers made out of pure steel. One day he will conquer the world and save Poland from troubles once and for all.

But he was not even intending to come. Kościuszko soon realized that and announced it to his generals. "We have to win this war on our very own, without France crippling our enemies from behind!" The moment he came to relieve himself from false hope was the moment he had won hardest of wars for Polish Republic.

Army of North German Federation, a multitude of brigades from all miniscule Northern German states attached to not fully recovered Prussian armies was slowly losing its momentum. All members of Federation joined their forces in ecstatic enthusiasm of a moment, believing that they can rapidly defeat anyone on their way, without even trying. It is true might and determination of German nation that will win this war!

Germany needed such quick and astonishing victory to consolidate its ranks. But victory, same as Napoleon, wasn't coming. Morale was deteriorating quickly, some rulers ordered their armies to return to Germany, some refused to participate in solely Prussian army, some even thought about leaving...cracks could be seen openly and Kościuszko intended to strike Germans right there.

In June of 1816 Federation conducted another offensive towards Warsaw. Army of Republic returned to Warsaw to rest before the crucial battle and receive reinforcements, mainly new cannons produced in capital every day and night. Germans aimed to take Warsaw in August and finish Republic once and for all; and Kościuszko, after receiving ordered artillery went forth to meet and greet them with fierce cannonade whenever odds will be in his favour.

German brigades, forty thousands of people, marched into depth of hell. Prussian veterans from last war were warning them, that in fact they might find Gates of Hell and Satan himself in Warsaw, so they should advance carefully; in 1795 marshall von Bulow appeared near Warsaw and barely retreated all the way to Berlin. And so, based on memories from last war, Germans were advancing slowly.

Finally 16th June came and both armies encountered each other near small town of Łowicz, hundred kilometres or so from Warsaw, standing at both sides of Bzura. Poles were first to enter Łowicz itself and locate their artillery in key points south from Bzura river. While Germans expected Bzura to be just a small, local river, in fact it was flowing east all the way to Vistula, biggest river in Poland.

Germans kept roaming endlessly around, hoping to find good point to breach river and strike Poles. But Poles were firing day and night and got whole river covered. Lost German brigades were exterminated one by another. Three days since first encounter at Łowicz, a decisive battle took place there. Battle that brought another wave of fear upon all Germans.

Do not enter Poland! Satan himself reigns mad nation living here! Twenty thousands Germans perished for good. They still had advantage, in guns, in artillery, even in numbers - but morale and will to fight was gone.

Germans tried to turn the tide desperately and launched another offensive in Upper Silesia. Third Silesian Campaign was won by Poles almost instantly after direct charge at German headquarters near village of Chorzów. Another army was destroyed for good and sixty seven first-class Prussian cannons seized!

Prussians forced remaining forces to try marching at Warsaw again, which again led to a catastrophic loss at Krośniewice, not so far from Bzura.

Prussian king had to submit, both to Poles and Germans. And he did - Second Peace of Warsaw has been signed on 15th September of 1816. In fact this loss was a blessing for German nation. Friedrich Wilhelm III had to give up more and more of his power to other federated states, thus allowing constitutionalism to flourish in Germany.

mLP4ff9.png

Rapid destruction of Germans meant that East remained completely undefended. Eight weeks from declaration of war Russian hordes flooded Lithuania and Galicia again. Polish leadership had no problem with that - tough winter would wear out invaders nicely and make them vulnerable for a series of another rapid strikes. General plan for Polish-Russian war stated that war could be won by 1818. In fact however such statements were a good indication that (unsurprisingly) after winning yet another unwinnable war Poles came to be overconfident about their possibilities.

But it all begun fairly well. First army under Kościuszko encircled and devastated one of Russian armies besieging city of Navahradak; second army under general Dąbrowski with his Polish Legion crushed four Russian brigades and routed them from Łuck. That's where overconfidence part kicked in. Dąbrowski wanted to repel main Russian force from Galicia, as main cities there - Lwów and Tarnopol - could not hold out for much longer. And so Poles went forth, with faith stronger than ever, once more unto the breach.

If Republican Poland suffered any decisive defeat that put it into serious problem, it had to be battle fought near Stanisławów in Galicia on 2nd April of 1817. Dąbrowski's army was retreating to Poland as fast as mentioned von Bulow in 1795, many precious cannons and supplies were lost in process. Had Polish Legion not been there to cover retreat, whole army would cease to exist.

Now Russians could finally proceed with total offensive. Republic was shocked and overwhelmed by this sudden loss. And even worse, on 9th June Vilnus had to capitulate. Russians were not exceptionally merciful, in fact they were not merciful at all to say the least.

All Russian brigades were advancing west, hoping to capture more eastern strongholds, from there cross Bug river and enter Poland proper. A brave plan had been carried over by one of Russian generals, Alexander Ostermann-Tolstoy. His army was allowed to march through Prussia and suddenly strike Poles from behind, maybe even take Warsaw by surprise.

And this plan could succeed easily, however thankfully both Polish armies were called back to Warsaw to be rearmed with captured Prussian cannons and reinforced with recruits. Tolstoy-Ostermann and his army crossed Polish border in last week of June. On 1st July, almost year after Battle of Bzura both Republican armies surprised sneaky Russians. At least no one would strike Poles from behind now, but there was still whole Eastern front, where Russia started to unleash its true power - neverending cannon fodder, that Tsar could keep throwing against his enemies forever.

tTv9RlO.png

Victory over Tolstoy-Ostermann was great news for all Poland. It seemd that literally the worst is behind Republic, but what does future holds for it?

North German Federation was certainly beaten at this point. After failing to gain complete support by rapid conquest of Poland King Friedrich Wilhelm had to be very careful to not anger his allies and proceeded with forging German unity by political means. Of course Germans were not to be neglected, but they could not afford next war against Republic. Sense of Poland fighting fiercely for victory was strong among Germans and they did not wish to strain their people and resources there again.

French Empire lost its momentum after partition of Austria. For some reason Napoleon was reluctant to expand even more, some speculated that he wanted to wait until Poland will harm Germany same as during Independence War. France was surely most prominent Great Power of that time, but for some reason refused to unleash its might upon mortal enemies - United Kingdom, Prussia and Russia. Although cult of French leader had no end among Polish folks, political and military elites mostly faced the truth already - there will be no more direct help from Paris.

Russia would keep fighting Republic no matter what. Tsar knew he gained an upper hand and that it's perfect opportunity to exterminate and conquer Poland. However, endless struggle against small Central European state was not working in Russian favour. Instead of investing in colonization of Siberia or Far Eastern trade Tsar was spending his money on countless cheap brigades and outdated equipment. Russian economy and manpower were suffering even more than Polish did. Even if his army was four time bigger than Republic's, there was still no victory in sight. This time however Russians have dangerous advantage.

Could they possibly breach Gates of Hell and extenguish the Polish Fire?

Uvgnm0U.png

It remains to be seen.

Fin.

Don't even ask. I am hereby #1 Laziest Paradox Person ever.
No, seriously.

Fun fact: after separate peace with NGF it was Denmark, not Russia who became war leader. Although Denmark was offering me white peace and few ducats for quite a while, it would totally break immersion, so I decided to fight Russia until either I or Tsar will have to submit.

Now that one is tough. I totally failed attacking in Galicia, I knew I should've at least some cavalry. And I got beaten hard, guess that's my biggest fail in this AAR so far.

To be honest however, AI is sorta crap. I should be beaten back in 1795 already and this AAR shouldn't exist. Or I should play as Congress Poland - that would be fun.

However, since I am able to carry on, let's fight until the very bloody end! Yaaay!

@Davis
You never even read, do you?

@Nein
Ha. And I wanted to attack them once Austria is done with. But surprise surprise, Germany strikes back! I'm bringing it back, slowly.

@cizinec
Could be worse. But since I am the Holy Defender of Polan Empire, I will never fall! Never!

Good. That's it. Until next time (probably next month again?).

Last edited:
2Ppe2M1.png

Episode XV - White Eagle and Black Baron

Republican Army's headquarters panicked when estimated numbers of soldiers Tsar thrown against Poland reached them. Russian hordes indeed had no end, and war would continue far, far longer than until next year. Masses again had to be drafted to army, and considering that Republic was in middle of economical and social reformation, it could completely wreck decade plentiful in reforms. To preserve current achievements of Republic, President Kościuszko appointed famous Polish economist, Prince Ksawery Drucki-Lubecki as chief of Extrarodinary Ministry of Reformation (Nadzwyczajne Ministerstwo Reform).

Drucki-Lubecki already was leading figure of Republican commision formed to redistribute and administrate former magnates fiefs and dismantle former feudal system. Now he was to take care of all financial matters and make sure economy won't collapse again while President and Republican Army would make sure Warsaw won't fall to Russians.

And it's not like his task was any easier. Total mobilization was again required to halt Russian offensive. Poles struck whenever they had advantage and could route some enemy brigades from Poland. Lwów fell to Russians a second time in this campaign in September of 1817. This time Dąbrowski did not attack recklessly but participated in general counteroffensive which was indeed most successful. On 3rd February of 1818 city has been liberated again. Tsar Alexander I was a stubborn one and to destruction of one brigade was responding by sending two freshly fielded ones. In April Kościuszko decided to retreat behind Bug and await Russian offensive there.

While technically he had given up defence of Ruthenia and Lithuania for the time being, he knew that Russian general is reckless general - one who is not bothered with any losses, and that he will come to face him soon whatever the odds may be. Although Poles left their safe barracks in Lublin once to defend Lwów again in June, general plan was to await Russian armies in Poland - also force them to come there and endure another harsh winter on occupied lands.

rf2SQzT.png

While Poles safely spent winter based in biggest cities - Lublin, Rzeszów and Przemyśl - Alexander kept pumping new brigades to west and also called for his Danish allies. Danish King Friedrich VI, who held this throne after loss of Norway thanks to Russians only was obligated to repay this debt with first-class Danish cannon fodder. During winter of 1818 Danish armies embarked in Riga and marched in southeastern direction, to aid another campaign against Galician cities. Kościuszko desperately called for Hungarian help again, but Gyorgi III had to politely refuse, stating that Russians might try to attack Zakarpatia via Moldova and march to Budapest to restore Habsburg kings.

Although best friends to drink and feast at peace, Hungarians weren't ideal companions in troubles that time.

And Danish army seemed to be dangerously strong. Twenty thousands of Danes assaulted Lwów instantly after crossing border and paved way for Russians to cross Bug in centre. Danes themselves crossed southern portion of the river and found themselves besieging strongholds taken by Austrians during first partition of Poland. That was the lowest point, darkest hour of Polish Republic. But hope could never be lostunder leader like President Kościuszko. After all Danes were bursting through Polish soil so fast that they have so little energy left now...

Republican Army marched south quickly to encounter unwanted guests near village is Wisła (or Vistula, named after biggest Polish river which begin its flow very close from there) and completely obliterated them. Danes retreated for good and Tsar lost his patience.

"Russian general is reckless general - one who is not bothered with any losses."

While exhausted by winter, famine and plainly by waiting Russian were piercing Bug and Vistula hastily, Republican Army was responding even faster by crushing all invaders. Like an invincible force, or Polish Hellfire if one is to believe Prussian tales, first Russian army was crushed to pieces near Łęczna, small mining town close to Lublin on 14th May of 1819. Another one was catched near site of last Polish-Russian battle from Independence War, in Mława, and with heavy losses forced to return all the way to Vilnius. Poles splitted and stretched their army from Prussia to Lublin to cover all potential roads leading to Warsaw.

Russian decided to cross Bug again and it was most fatal mistake. Already harmed Tsar's brigades arrived at outskirts of Lubin on 11th January of 1820. There was no need to defend the city even - battle was more of a shooting contest for Poles rather than bloody clash, especially when reinforcements from Podlasia arrived and made it clear that none of Russian soldiers will ever cross Bug river.

None.

6XaqZgq.png

Although during 1820 Tsar was far away from running out of guns, butter and recruits, he started realizing how futile struggle to conquer Poland is. Six years and no success...Although Russians held important cities in the East like Vilnius, Lwów or Grodno and they could as well continue the war and win after another six years, it was bringing more pain than gain for Russia. Out of Russian expenses in 1819 84% of them(!) were coverage of war effort in Poland. Garrisons of captured fortresses had to be constantly replenished as citizens and peasantry continued guerilla war against them. To eliminate one Polish brigade (~two thousand people) Russian had to use four and a half - and most of it was not even lost during battles, but because of attirition and partisant activities.

War would not bring any profit. And how much resources would be needed to occupy Poland for one year at least? How long could Russians hold onto their conquest?

Three years of war - 1817, 1818, and 1819 - harmed economy in Poland as much as in Russia. All enterprises and developments in Siberia were halted, hell, some of them had to be dissolved to gain at least one ruble to arm and field ten peasants. Three of them will die before reaching Poland, next two will be killed by partisans, another two in battle, one will die from famine during winter...

It took six years and more than hundred thousands lost souls to convince Alexander that wars with new Poland are simply not worth it.

On 2nd August on 1820 Peace of Lublin has been signed between Polish Republic and Russo-Danish alliance. All three sides were piss poor and had nothing left to offer. Attackers agreed to cover Polish losses only from 1820, least intensive year of war when - with exception of Lublin battle from January - there were no bigger engagements with exception of local skirmishes and constant partisan attacks.

War of Third Coallition - which started during war of Austrian aggression in Hungary on 1814 and ended when Poles alone were holding their own against North German Federation until 1816 when truce was signed and Russia until 1820 - when another truce was signed as well.

Prince Drucki-Lubecki managed to hold Polish economy together and after war President appointed him as Minister of Treasury in first Polish democratic government formed in 1822.

New goals were estimated for Polish diplomacy. It was no longer to primarly seek aid in France, but "only" maintain friendly relations. Napoleon was not as trustworthy as he seemed. One of the very few loyal high-ranked nobles - Prince Adam Czartoryski - was designed as new Minister of Foreign Affairs. As a traditional nobleman - but one truly loyal to interests of his country - from well-known family he was an promising diplomat, who could bring a new beginning to Polish foreign relations.

Independence which was well-earned in 1804 was successfully and soundly defended in 1820. Poland retained some powerful enemies, but none of them will ever question or underestimate her.

At least Russian Tsars won't.

kj1gZuT.png

White Eagle and Black Baron exchanged their blows for a last time.

Fin.

Two episodes in two days? Oh my God I'm overworking myself. Time to take a break for month or two lol. No, I simply finished that war in one go and had more screenshots, so I decided to cook two episodes at once.

That I succeeded is more of a pleasant surprise rather than fulfilled plan ;)

I lucked out with that Excellent Minister event. I wanted to include Drucki-Lubecki guy in 1820s since he was fabulous economist and game indeed gave me an opportunity to introduce him nicely ;)

Funny how most of able Polish statesmen were living and technically working for Congress Poland. He.

@Nein

Courlanders suck. And if nothing will stop me, their time will cometh! And I don't have a need for allies by the looks of things, I can successfully hold off on my own now.

At least now.

See you next time ;)

Last edited:
2Ppe2M1.png

Episode XVI - Legacy of Republic

Six summers since their sudden departure to front, Poles finally returned to their homes, yet again victorious against overwhelming enemies and unimaginably bad odds. Koenig Friedrich Wilhelm had to smile and agree with his German allies too often to his liking - that was a price of humiliating retreat from Poland. Whenever Prussian ruler was appearing in Frankfurt's Reichstag, there were always a few brave gentlemen, counts of some irrelevant fiefs like Lippe or Hoya welcoming his entrance with warm, loud "Polen!". Wherever kings fall, freedom prevails - as mentioned last time, loss in Poland denied Prussian domination and allowed Federation to develop in more democratic way.

Tsars always held and abused their nearly divine power, but this time Tsar Alexander went a bit too far. Several trade companies investing in exploitation of Siberian natural minerals and organized settlements there bankrupted due to colossal taxes squeezed from everyone to fund war effort in Poland. Russian advance in Far East was fully halted, and even reverted in some places. General Winter beaten several armies on his own same as he used to beat Tsar's enemies and Mother Russia could not keep up with cannon fodder supplies he requested. For once Empire was forced to step back, and almighty Alexander had to realize not every country can be conquered by flood of frightened and hungry peasants with rifles from last century.

President Kościuszko on the other hand, along with growing array of talented generals and officers returned to Warsaw and yet again welcomed Parade of Victory in Belweder, former palace of Polish kings. Poland was saved once again, and one of her mortal enemies decided to concede for good.

Russians signed Second Peace of Warsaw in August of 1820 left with nothing except economy brought down to its knees. Instead of following advices of court factions and Polish magnates who remained on Russian territory, both calling for breaking the truce and attacking Poland from surprise, Alexander shut down uncooperative courtiers and eradicated greedy magnates who now - when Poland could no longer be conquered - were nothing more than useless rabble. Serves you right for betraying your Motherland.

Seeing how harmful wars in Poland were for Russia, Alexander seeked reconcillation with his former enemies. President Kościuszko saw Republic's future in the West and continuous fights for vast but desolate agricultural areas in the East were last thing he considered useful. Finally both leaders and their delegates agreed to meet in Riga, capital of Courland Duchy, which avoided all mayhem caused by Poles and Russians. Negotiations didn't take long and Treaty of Riga, ultimate Polish-Russian peace treaty has been signed. It was a symbolic day for Eastern Europe, as rivalry which started between Lithuanian and Russian princes back in Middle Ages was finally to end after four centuries. It was first great diplomatic victory Poland achieved on its own, without any direct or indirect French involvement.

gPrOKhW.png

Peace with Russia was to last forever, and German Federation's members would never allow Prussians to attack Poland for a third time. Republic proved that it can stand on its own, without French, and that whoever will cross its border will most likely never return. Legend of unbeatable army of peasants was living on across Europe, earning young Republic respect and sympathy - also detering any potential invaders. Now it was finally time for Kościuszko to reform Poland the way he wanted. Surprising how quickly time is passing...it felt like King August Poniatowski ran away to Russia and Kościuszko formed his Triumvirate just yesterday, however, President was in charge for thirty years already, and since even the legend cannot live forever, he pressed to reform Poland as quickly as possible.

Since Kościuszko's takeover in 1793, Poland was ruled by de-facto military government - it was neccesity during total War of Independence (1793-1804). During decade of peace between 1804 and 1814 Kościuszko was named President of newly formed Republic, but most of ministries and offices remained temporary until general reorganization planned to start in 1817 - but Third Coallition War disrupted these plans and military government remained in power well until Treaty of Riga was signed.

It was finally time to form truly civil government and restore Sejm, Polish parliament. On 15th March of 1822 Sejm met for a first time after Third Coallition War. List of Sejm members was truly inconsistent and numbers were varying every time. Organizational chaos could not help Republic in any shape or form. To solve this conondrum, Kościuszko turned to nominated during war Extaordinary Minister of Reformation, Franciszek Drucki-Lubecki. Last task of his Ministry was to prepare a new, clear administrative division of Polish Republic.

Drucki-Lubecki's project was presented to Sejm on 6th June of 1822 and was accepted unanimously. Many voivodeships borders were simply reflection of local feudal relations, and since most of magnates and nobility was gone, Republic could freely adjust internal borders. For example, newly born Voivodeship of Cujavia was created from three(!) smaller voivodeships, which took shape during Polish-Teuton wars in 15th and 16th Century. From 21 voivodeships secured by Republic only 15 were remaining after Administrative Reform of 1822. Nine of them were Polish, while four were marked as Lithuanian and two as Ruthenian. In these voivodeships both Polish and local language were to be official. Some of voivodeships were simply renamed and some received entirely new names. To transform former Polish-Lithuanian union into one, unitary state, all voivodeships were to be granted same status - for example, Samigotia joined Commonlwealth and remained as separate Duchy, not voivodeship. Now this and all other inconsistencies were to be removed once and for all.

On top of administrative reform President could issue reform of Sejm. Now it was to be made out of twelve representatives from each voivodeship, which set a size of Sejm to 180 representatives, enough to keep it going but not marginalize it. Republic still had long way to go before introducing any kind of organized suffrage, but first step towards fully democratic state has been achieved. At first delegations to Sejm from each voivodeship were consisting of citizens renowned for their contribution to Republic in any way. It was not uncommon to witness heads of small villages or war veterans in Sejm, and as long as they were there to take part in debate, everyone was fine with that.

SxBYyjF.png

When transition from corrupt, magnate-run theatre to modern parliament including all social classes was formalized, next goal was to form some sort of government, which would cooperate with both President and Sejm, and fill the blank space between both. Kościuszko already had his set of desired advisors in mind and on 20th December of 1822 presented it to representatives. First Republican government was incredibly small by modern standards. It consisted only of six people: President himself, Prime Minister (effectively Vice-President), and four ministers: Minister of Foreign Affairs, Finance, Justice and War. Kościuszko, veteran of American War of Independence certainly was inspired by American liberalism and wished Poland would follow this path too.

Sejm, truly useful for a first time in its existence, fully accepted first government, officially proclaimed on 23rd February of 1823. With exception of President it consisted of:

*Prime Minister -Jan Henryk Dąbrowski. After death of Prince Józef Poniatowski, general Dąbrowski took over role of second-in-charge. Although he suffered one horrible defeat against Russians in Third Coallition War, none could question his commanding abilities. First head of The Polish Legion, elite infantry formation found in 1809, was talented general with wide knowledge about European warfare, but also solid administator. Since in first Polish governments Prime Minister was more of a Vice-President, Dąbrowski's only role was calling for and making reports from government meetings.

*Foreign Minister - Adam Jerzy Czartoryski was member of Czartoryski's, one of magnate families, Prince Adam remained faithful to Kościuszko and Republic since the beginning. For years, thanks to his charisma and authority he gathered many of pro-Republican nobles around him, also convinced several others to join Kościuszko's side. However, his first "real" task was to participate in Riga meeting, which proved to be most successful. He was labelled as Minister of Foreign Affairs back in 1822, after a year it became his official position in government.

*Minister of Finance - Franciszek Ksawery Drucki-Lubecki was a man probably granted to Republic by God himself. Self-taught, prodigious economist was steadily advancing from post of local supply line administrator in Volhynia to Extraordinary Minister of Reformation, steering fragile Polish economy during Third Coallition War. Author of new administrative division of Poland and land redistribution project was tasked with planning and carrying out further reforms aiming to drag Polish economy from late Medieval to pre-Industrial level.

*Minister of Justice - Walenty Sobolewski* was secretary of King August Poniatowski since 1784, one of very few who openly supported reforms and Constitution of Third May. Once August left Poland, Sobolewski, now only Mayor of Warsaw, helped rallying local citizens and prepared groundwork for Republican takeover. Sobolewski remained Mayor until the day Kościuszko nominated him as Minister of Justice. Polish law was yet another relict of the past, much closer to Medieval than Enlightment. While law has been handled by local, popular courts since 1794 and it was not doing terribly bad, one, unified judicary and law system were badly needed - both were to be projected by Mayor Sobolewski.

*Minister of War - Józef Chłopicki was an examplatory poor noble from eastern Poland, who immediately joined Kościuszko's army upon hearing about insurrection. Out of all commanders serving under Kościuszko, Chłopicki was probably most talented. During Third Coallition War Kościuszko frequently ordered him to take lead of deadly charges to finish off weakened enemies. It was Chłopicki who led devastating attacks against Germans near Chorzów (Second Silesian Campaign) and Łowicz (Battle of Bzura). For decades of faithful and exceptional service under President's command Chłopicki was rewarded with office of War Minister. While Dąbrowski focused on maintaining Polish Legion, now General Chłopicki took control of main Republican Army and questions of armament, supplies and conscription. A true, reckless Polish spirit in charge of devastating force...

t6PLCKc.png

That day when peasants and nobles voted together, the Legacy of Republic was born.

Fin.

_________

I feel like recent episodes were god damn long. I like to take my time to describe important things from time to time, but now that the base is established, I can simply return to writing about successes and failures of Polish Republic ;)

Also, you can see some graphic stuff made by me o_O Well, I never really made any map before, it's based on my borders in WATKABAOI map obviously. It's not terribly good - well, it's informative but not really pretty. It should give you an idea about administrative division and I believe it does ;)

Picture of government will be used from now on for every government, also in Victoria. I won't list every minister later on - only the most important guys. Also I'll try to provide some info about guys I've chosen for you. * for minister of justice indicates that there's no English wikipedia page for him sadly, so I provided more info about him. ;)

Now, finally time for bloody peace! Oh wait...no, honestly it's time for peace, hopefully well until the end...

@Nein

...which is 1836. I will play in FtG until then, so 15 more years to go! Now it's time to unleash Demons of Industry! Steam Power Activate!

Until next time ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I changed Russian CB cores in Baltic area (to compensate for clearing cores in Poland), but forgot about these few. Now that I think about it, 1792 scenario really feels bad - as you can see I also have only claims in Lithuanian part of Republic too, and to be honest I noticed that only now. Many countries don't have cultures and cores...on the other hand some things are set to modern setup for some reason - for example, Kosovo has Albanian culture from 1337 scenario...o_O

Well, WATKABAOI. Either way it won't last long. No more fighting should happen, so I would like to cover birth of industry, diplomatic rearangements, death of Napoleon, first true elections and...then onwards to Ricky! ;)

Cool AAR. Very machiavelian of France to leave you hanging like that against Germans and Russians. But you pulled through - great job.

With treaty of Riga, you just abandoded about three quarters of former Grand duchy of Lithuania to Russians. Lithuanians won't be happy about this. I look forward to intrigue and lithuanian national revival in Ricky.

2Ppe2M1.png

Episode XVII - Revolutionary Thaw

Republican government appointed in 1823 was the first democratic, non-aristocratic and free government ruling Poland, probably since the last Slavic tribes rallies deep in Dark Ages. It was truly a gift from heavens that none other than Kościuszko took over after the last king and rallied Poles in 1794. First Polish president, veteran of American War of Independence, earned and based most of his political doctrine on experience from New World. It was not initial military victory that mattered to and bothered him the most, but future of victorious Poland in modern, revolutionary Europe. Ever since victory in 1804 organization of small but qualified government and parliamentary reform were the most crucial. Impregnating Spirit of Freedom in exploited and worn off nation...

And so this dream was fulfilling in his eyes. Seeds of liberalism had been sown in Poland decades ago, now it was starting to bear real fruits. None of neighbours questioned Republic's existence - Europe, which remained in state of constant war since 1790s was on verge of economical and demographical catastrophe. Either way, European monarchs were no longer bothered with foreign revolutions in France or Poland - Revolution was now knocking to their doors. Rulers of Britain, Russia, Prussia or any other European kingdom were bothered with countering radical socialist and liberal movements forming underground. Thirty years since Bastille Day this epochal conflict changed its profile - from ethnic to ideological. Revolution lost its international character.

There was but one great power that avoided such fate - Ottoman Empire. Turks were sitting silently in Konstantiniyye since loss of Jedisan to Russians in 1793. The last worldwide stage of Revolution was to take place there.

UHXoQuZ.png

Since Osman's precedessors crossed the Bosphorus for a first time and invaded Bulgaria in 1370s the Ottoman presence in Europe remained unquestioned. Following conquests of Thrace, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Wallachia and Bosnia managed to last four centuries. Defeat at hands of Grand Alliance in 1700 (Treaty of Karlowitz) curbed Ottoman power but not ousted Turks from Europe yet. Once magnificent Empire was declining and after few more deadly blows from Russia could not hold for much longer...

It took but a spark to ignite vegetating Ottoman state and throw it into danger not witnessed by Sultans before. All economical and social problems were of magnitude that none could possibly stand against.

First was the Greek Revolution of 1825, possibly supplied by French who shifted their focus from continental Europe to Mediterranean Sea. Greeks rebelled and faced Ottomans in scale not seen before during Summer of 1824, and after nine months they fully got rid of Ottomans and proclaimed Greek Republic.

And all oppressed nations followed the Greek example.

These days Kościuszko was often meeting with French, Hungarian and Russian ambassadors who often had better information. The first to follow Greeks were Orthodox Albanians - who challenged Sunni loyalists and Turkish overlords. Small mountainous nation was the best example and sole omen of future Balkan problems - violent religious and ethnic strifes across all former Ottoman lands.

For the rest of 1825 Greeks and Albanians fought alone (not counting French assistance). Russians informed Warsaw that uprising against Ottoman power erupted in Georgian duchies of Kartli and Imereti. While Ottoman juggernaut saw a few dangerous revolts in 17th and 18th Century, they were mostly ignited by greedy Beys or Janissaries - now Turks faced a wave of national uprising across their vast empire.

Fights in Greece continued for a next year, and Greeks managed to hold Ottomans off Athens. Imperial authority was crippling, and nations once beaten into submission were slowly awaking from their graves.

First were Romanian principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia - key elements of Russian Black Sea policy. Officially Russians remained neutral, but it was obviously a chance for them, and they started secretly supporting both Romanian states. Month after uprisings in Bucharest and Suceava Serbians joined the massive revolution and overthrowed Ottomans yet again (first time they succeeded in 1804 but their autonomy had been cut down in 1817).

Ottoman Empire was the last to face the Revolution, but certainly not the last one to fall to it.

rNRLkLd.png

While Balkan nations were awakening after centuries of Ottoman mastery, Poles were focused on observing the collapse of Ottoman Porte. Instead of openly involving Republic into Balkan crisis Kościuszko decided to stay put - internal reforms were far more important than expected fall of Ottomans.

For the rest of his live Kościuszko, who alone dragged Poland through three decades of war and uncertainty focused on preparing a worthy successor of presidental seat. President Kościuszko, a virtous statesman, a true icon of Revolutionary age, who dedicated his life to neverending struggle for freedom and equality - first in America and then in Poland - passed away on 7th May of 1827.

According to his will, Prime Minister Dąbrowski became a new President - accepted by Sejm on 12th May, along with new government. Prince Czartoryski became new Prime Minister and retained office of Foreign Affairs Minister. First generation of statesmen designated by Kościuszko was to continue leading Republic into uncertain post-revolutionary epoque.

c43eknq.png

May his legacy live on for a thousand years.

Fin.

Two or three episodes more and off to Victoria? Yaay?

Yaay ;)

Last edited:
2Ppe2M1.png

Episode XVIII - The Split

After thirty years Guardian of Republic had to leave his subjects (or rather compatriots) and his closest military advisor - Minister of War and head of Polish Legion, Jan Henryk Dąbrowski, was elected by Sejm as new President. While Dąbrowski won elections unanimously, Kościuszko's death revelead potentially the biggest problem of new generation of Polish statesmen. As long as Kościuszko lived and nation followed him Poland seemed to be safely sailing towards the prosperity and freedom.

But what will happen once Guardian will be gone?

New parliamentary class was still unexperienced and "callow" group, that learned from and often based its views according to Kościuszko's views - which was the main reason why Republicans ("The Reds") had overwhelming majority in Polish society for long decades. Monarchists ("The Whites") were scarce, only remaining part of conservative nobility that chosen to serve Republic because there were no better alternative. While both groups never really fought each other, Whites could not compete with Reds - not only nobility was almost non-existent after decades of bloodbath, but their conservative - sometimes even reactionary - views could not win them many supporters in society which was enslaved by magnates for last three centuries.

Dąbrowski, although still full of vigour and ambition was merely ten years younger than Kościuszko and already faced some health issues. Politics-wise new President could not even think about abandoning Kościuszko's course - reforms continued as planned and neutrality in Balkan conflict was retained. Although Russian ambassador was visiting President and Prime Minister often, there was no chance for organized Polish-Russian intervention in burning Balkans.

Yar4McY.png

And so Republic was enjoying a decade of peace, economical growth and most of all it was undergoing a heavy financial reformation orchestrated by none other than Republican Master Economist, Mr. Drucki-Lubecki. All his goals and actions - including final creation of Bank of Poland - are described in picture below.

MAYtwJF.png

Passing Drucki-Lubecki's reforms and maintaining Republic's neutral position were pretty much the only things President Dąbrowski was helpful with. His health started deteriorating rapidly during 1828. During usual Parade of Victory during Day of Repulic (14th May) President fell unconscious on his way to Belweder (Palace of Polish Kings in Warsaw, also seat of President) where he was to take the parade and deliver the speech to Poles. Masses gathered near Belweder could not welcome awaited Dąbrowski and Minister of War, general Chłopicki along with Prime Minister were the ones to do President's duty.

Dąbrowski was rarely leaving his home after that incident, he made it only to Sejm Winter Session of 1828, but it could be seen that he does not have much more time left.

While Republican majority could be calm about retaining their rule, it solely lacked one leader, one leader to lead them all.

Eventually President Jan Henryk Dąbrowski passed away on 27th July of 1828, two months after signing National Finance Act, which gave birth to Bank of Poland.

Republicans were left alone again.

Paradoxically, the lack of true successor of presidental seat finally pushed society towards organizing political life in Republic. Instead of staying in misery and mourning for too long, Sejm Extraordinary Summer Session of 1829 has been called for by Prime Minister Czartoryski.

Although initially Sejm counts 180 representatives, almost 300 of them arrived to Warsaw. Hence Prime Minister turned Extraordinary Session into first, official National Assembly of United Republic.

Month of debates brought a few important changes, that begun a long proccess of evolution of parliamentary system in Poland. First and foremost, length of President's term of office had been set to five years only. In case of incumbent's untimely death Prime Minister - or if he's not able to then Minister of War - were to attain the office and call for new presidential elections in Sejm. No one had doubt about it and so everyone agreed.

When President's office rules were normalized, the discussion went to future of Republican voting rights. While foreign nations like France, United States or even Britain were experimenting with public parliamentery elections for quite a while, Sejm was still attended mostly by a local statesmen chosen by locals on basis of contribution during Revolutionary Wars. It could work in quasi-democratic clique, but it was time to take a step further. Next government and president were to focus on implementation of modern voting system based on French or American ones.

Discussion could go over and over - while Whites were urging to implement voting rights based on wealth, Reds naturally hoped to make elections involve much bigger amount of citizens. Only the most radical Reds wanted to implement full and equal voting rights for everyone immediately - on the other hand radical groups of Whites were advocating return to monarchy. But both groups were literally counting a few people and meant nothing in National Assembly.

Finally, time came to gather representatives into organized groups, same as in France, that could have bigger influence over political life and thus would make it independent from one, dominant figure of President. While Reds and Whites distinguished themselves from each other for a first time during Warsaw Congress in 1805 (when Republic was born), now the split was made official. Every representative was to align himself with either Republican or Conservative Party. During National Assembly Reds still had massive advantage - out of 287 members of Assembly 243 declared themselves Reds, while only 44 - Whites.

HQWJH2p.png

Finally a representatives - now members of their respective parties - were to elect new Prime Minister and President. There was no rivalry between Reds and Whites during National Assembly - only different opinions on crucial matters. Either way yet again Sejm confered post of Prime Minister to Prince Adam Czartoryski, leader of Polish diplomacy on 19th August of 1829.

The president elections were even harder, as there were no clear candidate on both sides. Eventually current Minister of War, Józef Chłopicki, has agreed to start in elections. Whites responded with candidature of other respected general, Michał Gedeon Radziwiłł (member of magnate Radziwiłł family who remained loyal to Republic), but it was only a symbolic nomination. Chłopicki, backed by his party, won with overwhelming advantage on 23rd August of 1829.

Three days later Czartoryski presented a proposed squad of his new government. The only change was in Ministry of War, where now President Chłopicki was replaced with presidental candidate from Conservatives, Michał Gedeon Radziwiłł. While it was an acceptable choice, Prime Minister probably hoped to maintain good relations between Whites and Reds, maybe because he was a member of magnate family as well.

8U1njzr.png

Events of National Assembly are often called by historians "The Split", as the age of quasi-democracy started to fading away and Republic embarked on its journey towards modern parliamentarism...

Fin.

Political parties graph is something I dreamed of since the beginning of this AAR. While for now there are only these two, I hope to expand it during Victoria times, so in the end we will get a nice, long, fictional tree of all Polish parties and movements that ever existed ;)

And also make it look nice. I never did something like that before, so the way it looks might change later on. I'm still on it.

Now that we are entering 30s and there are more and more interesting people to include in political game this topic will be brought on more frequently in Victoria.

Also, today I'll make an index of special graphics in first post - like all governments, politics graph and maps, etc. I made to supplement this AAR. So you'll be able to check it simply from there and get to know with political history of my Poland with ease ;) Lol.

@Nein

Well, that's what they get...this episode I had some stuff to do (politics), but next we might look into the Balkans, see what kind of things we can do there ;)

@Marekss

MOVIE
MOVIE MOVIE

Last edited:
Woohoo!