• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
grayghost: Har Har , now for some reason I have to go watch King of the Hill ! I found a little video the other day with all 5 intros of B5 set back to back and I was watching all the little differences . Quite dorky , but still quite interesting to do .

stnylan: Yes , I'm hoping to start revealing more of the characters as being fuller humans instead of being abstract pawns in this space-time game .

best update so far, you're building up the tension very nicely (seriously, I've read books of so called great writters who did it far less than you). Nice to see that we finaly get some information of the history of our caracters. Wouldn't have expected Tom camming with some girl (and one with issues) over the internet tho o_O

Grubnessul said:
best update so far, you're building up the tension very nicely (seriously, I've read books of so called great writters who did it far less than you). Nice to see that we finaly get some information of the history of our caracters. Wouldn't have expected Tom camming with some girl (and one with issues) over the internet tho o_O

I'm glad you're enjoying it ! I don't think i've heard the term camming before though XD . Although I can probably guess what you mean

quite an interesting update...I'm not sure yet what to think of it. too much teasing, too little truly solid information :p

a sort of role-reversal?

Antonio the Jimenez in denial, Tom the Royce in denial?

Perhaps, then, a central tenet of your story is the relationship between the Royce and Jimenez families from now on? ;)

Myth: Thanks ! Hopefully this will pan out to be an interesting arc as well !

Avernite: That's quite an interesting insight ! Indeed , perhaps one of the tenets is definitely how these two families come to terms with each other ! Interesting discernment as always , Mr. Avernite !

Wow.. the talk between Jakob and Antonio... it added many layers of depth to the characters. I mean... they've always had depth, but this brief encounter really made them seem human. It's as though they ceased to be characters of a written work, given flesh and blood and a soul to match. Bravo, good sir, and I couldn't help but feel a connection to it. :p

Wachstein ! Scarlet Academy ! Oh, and the inclusion of Nia Obidos in a previous chapter.. ho man... I can feel the nostalgia welling up.. Good form, sir, Good form !

I must say I'm really impressed with your work so far, my good friend. As someone who has written his share of things - it's really impressive to see how far this tale has come. I look forward to reading more !

Panzerkardinal said:
Wow.. the talk between Jakob and Antonio... it added many layers of depth to the characters. I mean... they've always had depth, but this brief encounter really made them seem human. It's as though they ceased to be characters of a written work, given flesh and blood and a soul to match. Bravo, good sir, and I couldn't help but feel a connection to it. :p

Wachstein ! Scarlet Academy ! Oh, and the inclusion of Nia Obidos in a previous chapter.. ho man... I can feel the nostalgia welling up.. Good form, sir, Good form !

I must say I'm really impressed with your work so far, my good friend. As someone who has written his share of things - it's really impressive to see how far this tale has come. I look forward to reading more !

I'm very glad you picked up on all of those , old friend . As they say , everything is inspiration to a writer . In much the same way that you have given me strength and inspiration all these years , one can hope that Jakob can similarly be for Antonio . Hope you're having a good week !

Just to update you folks , about 50% of my grandfather's visit here at my home is over so by this Saturday i'll be updating with bonuses and updates on a usual pace (although I've been pretty good about updates recently if i do say so myself) . I'll have another update drafted tonight and will be pushing hard to get it uploaded . See you all soon ! Oh and don't forget to vote in the AARLand Choice Awards 2007 Q1 ! Support your Local Warlord and all the other fine works especially those that we've interviewed here ! I would highly recommend all of those . anonymous has extended voting to the 30th so please get votes in before then !

chapter31tile.gif

Chapter XXXI: The Scarlet Academy​

September 21, 1582

Cardinal DeWitt made himself as comfortable as possible on the guest chair provided for him by the University of Salamanca. Being an old and treasured institution throughout the kingdom, the University was indeed the second center of learning for the majority of the Iberian Peninsula until more money had been spent on other institutions throughout the land.

In fact, ever since the end of the last wars in Europe, the monarchy had significant funds by which to improve the machinations of the local population. Through careful savings and reduction of technological investment, every January the monarchy splurged what funds it had into improvements. The fresh infusion of capital earned from taxes ensured that inflation remained low—although this was a phenomenon not entirely understood by most at court. Already, the capital at Madrid was furnished with a beautiful symposium of Fine Arts and purported itself to be the intellectual capital of the Renaissance and the budding Baroque movement.

For Cardinal DeWitt, however, having been bred as a warrior and boasting that his only artistic inclination was the thrust of his spear; the finer points of the rising Spanish civilization escaped him at times. Even though he had spent the last week giving guest lectures on the solvency of the current economic model, the undeniable truths of Mother Church, and of his own humble history, he more often relied on the strength of his conviction than on the elegance of his argumentation.

Nonetheless, it was this man whom Antonio and his father entrusted for the civil administration as Substitute while the Far East campaign continued. Perhaps it was that sense of duty to his friends that made Cardinal DeWitt exceed his own zones of comfort. Luckily, he also had another task to focus his thoughts while he was there at the University of Salamanca. In this place, he had been assigned to detect and root out heresy.

“Good afternoon, Your Eminence,” the rector said lowly as he approached the sitting Cardinal and gave that tall man a kiss on the ring.

“Good afternoon, Brother Ricardo,” was the jovial response given in return.

Within the hosting chamber of the University, the Cardinal was surrounded by the latest of the High Renaissance art. Although the walls themselves were reminiscent of the castles of an older generation, they were decorated by the hanging portraits and tapestries that displayed the glorious achievements of alumni.

Cardinal DeWitt chose the largest seat within that fireplace warmed chamber not for some reason of pretense but simply because it was the only fixture that would accommodate his imposing frame. The rector, on the other hand, found a nice seat opposite his superior. The rector was slightly older than the visiting Cardinal and sported the habit of a Dominican although it was expected that at the end of his tenure as rector there, someone from the surging Society of Jesus would be filling his role as head of the University. It was in the twilight of his career that the rector now faced the inquisitor from Madrid.

“I wanted to thank you for lecturing to our students here, Your Eminence,” the rector began as he took his seat. He seemed to fold his hands onto his lap and round his old head with a generous smile. His old age seemed to make that circular frame droop forward as if it was a loose bob merely hanging onto the rest of the body with thread.

“You have been very kind to have me. It’s certainly been a pleasure to see the future of our great nation beginning to attain form in these halls.” The Cardinal’s voice seemed to echo like a tenor choir in the vast chamber. “But I also hope that you know the other reason why I’ve visited you here this week.”

It hardly seemed possible, but the old rector stretched his face further into that smile so that his eyelids began to eclipse his view.

“I’ve been rector here for so many years now,” the old man nearly laughed out, “I have been through my share of Inquisitions.”

The Cardinal nodded approvingly. “Well, the final reports from my assistants have reported that this university’s teachings are in accordance with canon law and current established theology.”

The rector nodded expectedly at that.

“There was, however, the incident at the water fountain a few years back.”

As Cardinal DeWitt faced his host, the rector’s eyes suddenly presented themselves while his entire face still curved in a smile. He almost had a fiendish look to his sudden expression.

“I’m sure your assistants would have told you that the incident was taken care of in accordance with canon law as well, Your Eminence,” the rector spoke almost through his teeth.

Cardinal DeWitt gave Brother Ricardo an interrogative glance before nodding it away. “It would be unfair to all establishments everywhere to assume that nothing can go wrong. We believe you handled that incident with the proper tact.”

The rector’s old eyes receded once more into the smile. It was then that the door’s iron knocker signaled a visitor. Before both men could turn to face the portal, a page’s head was already inserted through a small opening.

“Your Eminence, I’m afraid I have some disturbing news. There’s a messenger approaching from the University of Toledo,” the page let out as if racing his very breath.

With a look of concerned contemplation, the Cardinal nodded before saying, “let him in here when he arrives.” He then turned to his host and asked “I hope you don’t mind?”

With the rector’s almost shuddering shake of his head, the Cardinal once more gave a nod to his page who swiftly sped away allowing the door to slam a coffin-like sealed to the old and spacious room.

“Tell me, Brother Ricardo, do you know much about the University of Toledo?” the Cardinal asked now that most of the official business was done with.

“I’m afraid not much, Your Eminence, surely less than you probably know,” the rector began, “It was founded about two decades ago as an experiment in secular education, as I recall.”

The Cardinal nodded in acknowledgement to his host. It was true; the University built at Toledo was an experiment in State-run schooling instead of Church-run schooling. Partly, it was because with the rapid growth of the state coffers, there was a huge shortage of priests, brothers, and other religious to house all the new school projects planned and paid for. Ironically, it was the explosive growth of the nation that began to thin out their supply of religious educators forcing this new university to be run by alumni and graduates from previous universities.

It was with that in mind that Cardinal DeWitt pondered what kind of trouble brewed from there. It was not that he necessarily objected to this idea short term, it was that the only message of trouble had come from that location. Already, he had toured nearly all the Universities of the Peninsula starting in Valladolid but none had any major problems systemically. If there was a problem at the secular university, it could mean the loss of state-run education.

“The messenger, Your Eminence,” the page said pushing the Cardinal out of his thoughts. Both the Cardinal and the rector stood up as a man hastily made his way into the chamber. The Cardinal could see that the man almost ran across the space of the room before he came to a halt in front of him, bowed to one knee, and kissed his ring.

“Have a seat, son, and tell us what’s the matter there at the University to the South,” the rector invited while the Cardinal took his seat again. He was a bit surprised at the strangeness of the urgency brought on by the man.

“Thank you,” the man replied as he took a seat hastily and all the while perching at the very edge of it as he looked at the other two. He sat directly opposite from the fireplace with the Cardinal to his left and the rector to his right. As the other two looked towards him, his eyes seemed to flare with the reflection of the flame of the hearth which punctuated the anxiety of his visit.

“When I heard that the Cardinal was inspecting the Universities, I knew that I had to come here right away,” the messenger began. “A year ago, Your Eminence, you had sent me to the University of Toledo as an observer to make sure that the project was progressing at a good pace and that the level of education received was that of the standards of the Kingdom.”

The Cardinal nodded as he looked into the burning eyes of that man.

“The report I have to give now is that I have discovered something that has gone without supervision or oversight.”

“What is it?” the Cardinal almost demanded.

“There are societies that are beginning to form at the university; societies that meet in secret.”

Cardinal DeWitt’s eyes narrowed as he began to hear the news. The messenger’s face suddenly dropped and his elbows met his knees in a kind of halfway agony as he composed his memories before looking back up to the prelate.

“I was able to investigate into these societies and what I found was disturbing. It was not just heresy, but depravity of the highest degree…”

As the Cardinal looked on, he noticed that the messenger’s face began to look paler and colder. “Go on, my son,” the Cardinal encouraged.

“They would… speak…” the messenger’s voice began to break as he spoke, “of carnal pleasure… incest… rape… and they would…find these stories and actions humorous and—and—they would take turns…”

For a moment, the young man relaying this bowed his head again and squeezed his knees with his palms before looking back up to his patron who was now watching with a disturbed and shocked expression.

What came next, as the young messenger repeated for them, was a string of obscenities. Of families performing acts which would rob innocence by the very mention of such actions. For almost five minutes the two clergymen were fixed into their chair by the horrendous recollection relayed to them. The acidic words being relayed by their shaky messenger was like a gorgon’s spell that trapped them in their chairs.

“And when… when this abomination would come to an end, all of them would take a bow…” the messenger finished.

“Who…? Who were doing and telling these terrible things?” demanded the rector obviously shaken.

For a moment, the messenger squeezed against his knees once more as if to pump courage into his heart. His eyes, which had found the floor, now looked up to his patron before he exclaimed, “The Aristocrats!”

The silence in the room would have been comical if it were not for the drained expressions on all three individuals. The pallid texture of their faces seemed to match the very grayness of the walls hidden behind each hanging exposition of talent.

“Thank you, my son,” the Cardinal said with a pastoral tone, “I will accompany you down there immediately and I will address this matter personally.”

With an encouraged nod, the young messenger began to smile in thanks as if attempting to dispel the bile he just spewed. All of them rose from their seats and the Cardinal thanked the rector for his visit before filing outwards to an awaiting carriage.

As Cardinal DeWitt loaded his coach, he looked to the brave messenger saddle his horse. The horse itself must have come from the stable of the University of Toledo for it still bore the colours of that school: a stark scarlet.

---​

Antonio watched the ensuing battle from the window with a kind of detached worry. It had already been a week since the assault began and in a few days the approaching armies of the Ming would catch up with them if they had not taken the city by then. The screen of smoke that engulfed an entire side of the fortified battlement seemed to seethe with relentless and defiant fire. Men, on this day of another offensive, stormed with ladders upward until the entire side visible to Antonio seemed like a criss-cross of wood decorated by climbing bodies of men.

He knew that somewhere down there the colours of Jakob flew in the engulfing wind caused by the conflagrations throughout the city. He also knew that the banner of his good general Grubby was being borne by the grunts up the battlements. Perhaps in a day or two the city would be flowing with Spanish troops and the flag of the Habsburg domains raised above the Keep.

It was in this mode of thought behind the window that Antonio realized that when that day comes, he would have to confront his friends with the truth. When they returned to their headquarters from the battle he would then have to explain to them what had transpired. Looking up to the sky which rumbled with the darkness of charred particles, he prayed that if this could be avoided, hopefully it would be so, but that he gave himself up to the Truth. He would have to explain everything. Including how he had killed Sebastian Royce.

---​

Sweet’s journey had been a long one, but he had ridden relentlessly. That young man barely needed sleep as his expression always betrayed tiredness tempered by endless kinetic potential, anyway. Changing horses three times along his journey, he finally made it to the outskirts of the capital of the Ming.

Looming before him with battlements as high as the walls of Constantinople and bristling with swords and spears, the sight was an impressive display of the safety by which the empire of the Ming desired for its chief city. He dismounted a mile away from the main gate with a look of tired consternation. It had been several days since he had been asleep, but his mission was an important one. Turning to his left to the home along the road, he noticed the town house fixed with a beautiful courtyard among other amenities provided by an otherwise wealthy estate.

Leaving his horse to wander, he entered the building and walked about the corridors to the various rooms with a quiet familiarity until he reached the quiet inner sanctum of the second courtyard within.

“You’ve returned, my little Chun,” was the slippery voice from the other side of the inner courtyard.

Sweet turned to that direction and could only see the faint glow of candlelight within the walls. The darkened twigs and branches that fell off during the autumn season littered the sanctity of the inner sanctuary. Sweet had almost forgotten his real name when he heard it but nonetheless he froze against the inner wall with caution.

“I heard the woman could be found here,” Sweet responded in the same Han tongue as the woman speaking to him.

“Yes,” was the strained response, “as you asked, she is here.”

Suddenly, a door opened on the left side of the quad where a confused lady stood in fright. She held onto her beautiful dress as the wind fluttered it about. Sweet immediately recognized her as the wife of Akanishi. As soon as this recognition filtered into his mind, the door snapped close again.

“It’s been a while since you were here,” the voice called out again, “since you trained with your other brothers and sisters in this courtyard.”

“I’ve come back, Nia,” was the blunt declaration from Sweet, “in exchange for this woman. She is my final promise.”

A quiet stir came upon the whole house and it seemed as if the candles behind each wall ached with sudden conversation.

“You will trade yourself for the woman?” Nia asked.

“My master has informed me that after she is delivered to him, I will no longer receive any pay.”

On opposite sides of the courtyard the two speaking voices were like two beacons across a gulf as wide as an ocean. Years of disconnection had brought them apart, but male and female energies seemed to whirl the twigs and leaves in the middle of them once more. In that dim moonlight, Sweet knelt down on one knee with his katana placed to his side.

“I’m home,” Sweet whispered.

The voice which returned flowed towards him like a fragrance from a flower: “welcome home.”

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Father Francis took a moment to look through the glaring glass of the museum’s artifacts while his noble colleague prepared the meeting with the curator there to inspect the site where they found the last of the three artifacts that Professor Cole was now investigating.

Within its capsule of glass there was a manuscript that caught the priest’s eye; it was a description of one of the chief enemies of the Ming who fought there at Guangzhou, the infamous Dutch general Schenkhuizen. The way he had landed on the beach from the Armada earned him the Chinese nickname which in Spanish would be translated to “Orca.” Looking further, Father Francis noticed that the European nickname “Grubby” that general was given for having served four kings and his voraciousness for loot also spread to the Chinese defenders. To commemorate this, the Chinese made his portrait look like a barbaric half man half pig like monster.

Father Francis couldn’t help but laugh at this portion of the exhibit, but his patron called him forward.

“They’re ready to let us into the study room now, Father,” Duke Jimenes said.

The spacious museum dedicated to the battle of Guangzhou had been a recent addition to the landscape of that Cantonese area. It was a halfway point in meeting with growing cultural sentiment while reinforcing the hegemony of the global state based in Madrid. Especially in China where a huge population lived so far away from the central administration, more conciliatory means were necessary to keep the population somewhat satisfied.

The modern facilities within the study room had the air of a microchip research plant that Father Francis had the luxury of visiting when he visited a parish in Northern California the other year. The artifacts within were kept with specific atmosphere conditions in mind and the robotic arms that supported the scientists even moved with a clean sound like one would hear if they scrubbed at a glass surface with cleanser too long.

For Father Francis, the surrounding environment nearly blinded him. The whiteness of the walls and floor refracted with the glass surfaces along the sides of the room where the white coat workers were studying various items.

At the far end of the hall, they were met with a lady in a similar dress but without the white cowl, goggles, that would have otherwise hidden her beautiful features.

“Good afternoon gentlemen, I’ll be your liaison to the site below,” the woman said.

“The dig is underneath the building?” Father Francis asked sincerely.

The Duke gave him a smiling nod before they followed the woman into an elevator.

“Have you been working at the site long Miss…?” Duke Jimenes inquired.

The young lady looked towards the both of them and gave them a vibrant smile, “Miss Obidos; and yes I’ve been plundering the secrets here for a long while now.”

---​

Andrew rubbed Marcus’s shoulder gently running those emaciated fingers against that orb of flesh and bone.

“How was your party, darling?” the crazed inquiry came from behind her.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t get what we wanted. That silly Janus betrayed us,” Marcus replied with an exaggerated huff. “Tseng, how much longer?”

“Five more hours until we reach Beijing, sir,” the mercenary responded after looking back into the cabin of that private jet.

Marcus sighed with as much flare as a bored teenager. Quickly shuffling back her jacket onto her shoulders with no care for the spidery fingers that were now denied the touch of her sickly pale flesh, she hopped over to the other side of the cabin and reached forward to her laptop.

With a quick tap of activation, she saw the familiar flow of images and icons presented to her. Pressing one of these icons with strange runic symbols upon it, she spoke calmly into the microphone.

“You’ll need to reroute where the Timepiece is heading back into the continent,” she said.

“Is there a problem?” was the voice from the speakers.

“Little China was a little trap, I’m afraid the Timepiece will probably meet the same preparation.”

“Understood,” was the final word before a small electric click signaled that the line had closed.

With an elbow on the table and fingers across her crazed lips, Marcus Councilman used her mouse to signal the activation of another icon. Flashing on the screen was the symbol of a double headed eagle set against a crimson background.

“Let’s see what secrets we can take advantage of today,” she whispered impishly.

On the screen flashed the logo once more and a chat prompt emerged. “Welcome back to the Academy, hotstuff,” one of the users had typed upon her entry.

Chapter XXXII: Secrets (coming soon)

Mmm, de Witt might have a somewhat tricky time of it.

nice update, as usually

any link between the scarlet monastery and scarlet academy?

sooo...that shameful past Antonio's trying to hide, is it connected with those obscenities in any way...? I take it, however, that not only was the University of Toledo not closed down but its underground practices had continued to the present day, if that very last bit is any indication.

I still don't get how such a clear and powerfull confrontation maanges to last so long, but well ;)

And another Obidos...

You really are into that family-feud thing, it seems ;)

stnylan: both the DeWitts in the past are going to have indeed a tough time coming up !

Grubnessul: Scarlet Monestary XD hehe , no comment on that just yet !

Myth: It would seem that you may be on the right track ! I'm surprised no one's gotten "The Aristocrats!" joke yet though !

Avernite: It's one of the ways i tie present to past :D

Pakse said:
Nice AAR! Keep it up!

Thanks and welcome on board ! Update coming in 10-20 hours !

Status Report: Well , tomorrow's going to be the last day my grandpa's staying with us so after tomorrow it'll be back to normal activity of bonuses and updates . As for the update scheduled for tonight I'm going to try my best to get it underway but I have to admit that zee little gray cells are a bit distracted and need some more inspiration (Darnit , why are Battlestar Galactica Seasons so 'short' ! =( ) In any case , I also had a wonderful interview with thrashing mad yesterday and that will be uploaded on Saturday as usual so everything is going well !

I wanted to remind you all that there's only less than 4 days left to vote in the AARLand Choice Awards 2007 Q1 ! we have a good showing in Favourite EU3 AAR , Favourite EU3 Narrative , and Favourite Overall New Author ! You don't have to vote for me , of course , but keep us in mind when you do ! Remember that not all votes are visible so any votes will definitely help ! Don't forget to support your local warlords and if you want to look for any recommendations , simply browse the You've Been Canonized sections of this thread to find those wonderful works and authors who i've interviewed !

One more thing , I finally got myself into the queue for the College of Cardinals Collab that Llywelyn has been doing (it's also one of my fav picks) so look forward to me being a Pope (fictional of course XD I don't want to bring any shame to Holy Mother Church) ! Huzzah !

Another good update ! The secret meetings remind me of the good ol' days for some reason. xD

I'm looking forward to hearing about the valiant Antonio's past. Perhaps there's more to him than meets the eye, hmm?

No one suspects the Inquisition ! :rofl:

The title for the next installment's got me all aquiver. I wonder what juicy new details await ?

Keep up the good work !

chapter32tile.gif

Chapter XXXII: Secrets​

September 24, 1582

The crashing noises of metal spheres leveling the city had reached the point where even the common citizenry were burying themselves underneath their best furniture and covering their ears against the frightful approach of the sound. Already, the Spanish bombardment had caused numerous fires and, with every able bodied man at the walls, the conflagrations and destruction continued unabated. Despite the valiant effort, news was already reaching the beleaguered streets that the defenders were waning against the invaders. Panic had infected the city like an airborne disease.

Thousands and tens of thousands of individuals ran across the roads of Guangzhou attempting to escape only to find barred gateways and barbicans housing battalions of defenders holding back the archway from the rushing Spaniards. It was this sight that Lieutenant Drescher observed through the portal of that road side shop. The thundering noise of the cannons hitting their targets did not disturb him; his stern discerning look at the fleeing inhabitants was only decorated by frustration and contempt.

“Mr. Drescher, the dig is complete,” someone from deeper within the shop called out to him.

With one last glance at the chaotic stampede unfolding beyond the doorway of the shop, Lt. Drescher turned about to the darkness of the abandoned shop and walked towards the voice. With his black riding gloves and crop underneath his right armpit, he followed the finely dressed merchant down a cobblestone staircase into the underbelly of that store.

The ground shook every few moments from the timed impacts of the Spanish shells but it merely released dust into the air of that damp basement. Spanning a good portion of the underside of the shop, several workers in dirt smeared clothes rested against the hard wall of the chamber half afraid that the shop would, at any moment, collapse onto them from the force of a cannonball.

“You can leave your equipment here,” the merchant said nodding with a smile.

With little regard for the others in the room, the young lieutenant shed away his well trimmed and well ironed uniform with all of its regalia and insignia placing them into the dirty hole which the workers had just finished digging. Allowing his crop and gloves and finally his hat to rest in that moist earthy tomb, the merchant quickly uttered something in his Cantonese dialect. Immediately, the men began to cover the materials up with the dirt they had just recently disturbed.

“You will find the clothes you requested upstairs,” the merchant said in the tongue Lt. Drescher would understand. It was once more accompanied by an exaggerated smile.

“Our organization thanks you for your cooperation,” Lt. Drescher said curtly as he began up the stairs with nothing but his undershirt and shorts. The formality of his exit was secretly a comical scene for that merchant who, until then, had known this liaison of the Wolves to be nothing but the personification of seriousness.

“It is the pleasure of the Ming to be so accommodating,” came the intently worded response.

The lieutenant slid behind a screen as he began to don his new clothes. The merchant himself kept to the other side of the building which gently rocked in the earth shattering approach of ordinance.

“Might I ask where your group will be heading next?” the merchant asked.

For a brief moment, Lt. Drescher failed to answer arrogantly allowing his host to wait before receiving any satisfaction. “We will be hiding in the New World,” the lieutenant explained, “until our services against the Spaniards can be put to good use again. As for myself, I’ll head to Beijing to offer my services to your boss there.”

At that, the host nodded in agreement even though he could not be seen from behind the screen. “And we thank you for what help you could give us here,” was the almost condescending remark from the merchant.

“I apologize that we could not be of any greater help, but with only so few of us, we don’t have the resources to spare. Most of the others have already gone out before me and I will rejoin them eventually.”

Lt. Drescher stepped out of the screen’s protective spread and finished with placing a fluffy looking hat on his head. Now, he was just another merchant from Germany with a strange dialect.

“The Ming thank you again for our friendship in this matter,” the merchant began again making a short bow with that smile that continued to defy the horrendous rumble engulfing the city. “We hope that our friendship continues on for many years to come.”

---​

September 25, 1582

Antonio waited outside of the triage door upon a seat that he had pulled up to that portal. Not being a surgeon and not at all having cleaned to the extent those workers for the sick had washed themselves; he was shut out of the room for the sake of stopping any spread of illness. Indeed, perhaps to help push himself out of the depressive rut, he had volunteered to help engage the enemy in the final push against the parapets yesterday. He was still covered in stains of blood and other sooty particles that marred every usual soldier.

“Thanks for seeing me Dr. Ginzo,” Antonio said softly as he sat with head lowered on that chair.

“It’s no problem,” was the slightly muffled response from behind the doorway.

Antonio had known Dr. Ginzo as Jakob’s assistant for a long while now. A competent doctor of Eastern Medicine and a recent convert, he was zealous both for life and for faith. Dr. Ginzo also worked as Jakob’s personal secretary and took care of many of his personal appointments; it was with him that Antonio now wished to send a message to his friend who was within that cleaned chamber.

Especially with Jakob’s work as the chief surgeon as well as head of the southern campaign, he used Dr. Ginzo often to represent him in more personal matters. Their trust had grown out of a mutual respect as well as months of having worked together. This trust had grown to the point where Dr. Ginzo was entrusted with even the most personal of communications.

For Antonio, Dr. Ginzo was a nice man but almost a relative stranger. Nonetheless, if he trusted Jakob and Jakob trusted the good doctor, then he had no right to complain.

“I know Jakob’s very busy at the moment so I’m sorry to bother you like this to ferry messages for me,” Antonio began more so to stall for time than to clarify the situation. It was true however that Jakob was in the middle of aiding those wounded in the recent battle. Although Antonio can request to talk to Jakob directly, he also knew that this was why Dr. Ginzo was appointed as a secretary so that anyone could have ready access to Jakob.

“It’s no problem,” the doctor sagely responded as he rested on the other side of the closed doorway. “Jakob said that especially with you, this was the task I should be ready for no matter the other circumstances. To receive your message and deliver it to him quickly and through the strictest confidence.”

“Well, doctor, what I do have to tell him is indeed very confidential and very personal…”

There was a respectful silence on the other side of the doorway. Antonio might have requested for Dr. Ginzo to step out and the physician would have been more than happy to accommodate him, but Antonio felt more comfortable with the door in his way.

“First of all, about the suicide of Sebastian, that was my fault,” Antonio began.

“What do you mean?” the doctor asked curiously. Everyone already knew about how Sebastian had taken his life. A pistol to the brain, they had found out. It had been an easy determination because he did this in front of several individuals. He left a note, but that was currently under private review and Dr. Ginzo had no idea what it revealed.

“You see, I drove him to it,” Antonio began to explain, “We had a long history before I took up my father’s duties…”

Doctor Ginzo listened intently to Antonio’s explanation as he too sat on a seat on the other side of the wooden separation. As he listened, he neither judged nor cringed at the details but merely faithfully committed each sentence to memory.

Just inside that room, Jakob had come to wash his hands at the clean water bowls when he noticed his messenger along the door almost leaning outward to strain to hear the other side. Unlike the aging senses of Dr. Ginzo, however, Jakob could plainly hear what Antonio was saying.

“And I wanted to tell Jakob that I’m so sorry for having kept this from him…” Antonio continued.

For a few more minutes Jakob lingered at the bowls as his friend across the doorway continued to explain the wrongs that had lead to Sebastian’s suicide and of the sordid details of what had occurred in the past.

To say that Jakob was stunned would have been disingenuous. The actions he heard retold were not just disturbing but it grated against the very fabric of his heart. It was not necessarily that he was not unused to gruesome details. Indeed, as a physician he took pride in his objectivity in the face of severe trauma so that he could better serve his patients. This was, however, different: it was his friend of so many years exposing himself, even to a stranger like Ginzo, just to come clean to him. It was moving.

As the litany of past offenses was slowly and almost whispered through the wood of the door, Jakob couldn’t help but approach the portal and come alongside his assistant. Ginzo immediately looked up but Jakob pressed his finger to his lips and allowed the conversation between them to continue without interruption.

Jakob placed a comforting hand on his assistant’s shoulder letting his minister know that his presence was there with him as he listened to Antonio on the other side. The squeeze on his hand to the older man on the seat seemed to say “let him finish.”

As Antonio breathed out the final portions of his apology, it was as if his whole body had been emptied and purged. Through the protection of the wooden boards, he was allowed to hide a small silvery sheen running from the corner of his right eye to his chin. He quickly slid it off with his gauntlet but instead left a smear mark where the liquid had cleaned away the dried blood and dirt from the battle. He looked forward again now with this scar of cleansing showing the tanned skin underneath.

“It’s good of you to tell your friend this,” Dr. Ginzo began offering some comfort to the hollowed man across the doorway. “You should also tell Isabella,” he added.

For Antonio he heard those words with a small tinge of pain and joy in his heart. It was not necessarily a simultaneous feeling, no; it was a joy from pain. The pain was not just that their friendship would take a beating—he knew that could heal. His pain was that the truth might preclude him from the wish he had been keeping. The joy came that through this was that he would finally be able to live freely; that his friends would know him for who he really was.

The next words from the door were no longer Dr. Ginzo’s although Antonio heard no movement. Jakob was now speaking through that partition. “Because God is merciful, and through the death and resurrection of his Son, he reconciled the sinful world to himself and even sent the Holy Spirit among us so that we can have the strength of not only being good to avoid sin but to be able to forgive sin. Because we’re friends, Antonio, I forgive you.”

The area where Antonio sat seemed to move quickly through his vision. It was a kind of vertigo that came when one was too elated to properly fix themselves to the earth. Some ended up describing it as the feeling of flight. For Antonio, it was the dissolution of burden.

“Thank you, Jakob, and thank you Doctor Ginzo.”

“Have a good day,” came the jovial old man’s expression as he got up from his seat. Jakob must have already gone back to the patients. Antonio was now free to walk out of the building.

As he exited the building he at first did not notice the darkness of the countryside until he stepped out into the gently rolling sprinkle of the rain. In the afternoon, a tropical cloud was finishing its final journey from the sea to the land inebriating the soggy and trodden battlefields with a watery embrace. The blood and gunpowder began to slink away into the Pearl River and would be cycled into the depths of the Pacific. Antonio looked up almost gleefully as the watery deluge showered the remnants of the battle off of his armour and skin. He would make the journey to Shanghai right away in order to meet up with Isabella.

Isabella: the woman whom he now saw clearly in his heart’s eye; the woman whom he thought of with great anxiety; the woman whom he now saw at the end of the road.

“Isabella?” Antonio asked mostly with his lips as his eyes continued to attempt to blink away the rain separating him from a clear view of her.

“Antonio!” she called out as she dropped her umbrella and ran towards him. Instinctively, Antonio ran towards her as well and they met halfway down the road into a sudden embrace.

“I just heard about Sebastian,” she said softly as she kept her face close to his wet armour.

For a moment they held together comfortably in that cooling downpour and for a while Antonio could only focus on the shared moment amidst the cooling and steaming aftermath of a successful battle. In that moment, it was as if the entire field swarming with Spanish troops preparing to hold off the forty thousand Ming Imperials danced in a choreographed celebration of their reunion. There were words unsaid in that embrace.

Antonio slowly pulled Isabella forward and looked down at her dampening face saying, “Isabella… I need to tell you something. I’ve been keeping secrets—”

When he caught the last syllable of that word, so did his side catch the blade. Perhaps it was not even that piercing movement which caught his attention but the fact that the blue eyes he was expecting to be reunited with were actually as dark as his own. Simultaneously, the pleasant dance of the Spanish troops was interrupted by a charge of forty Chinese divisions punctuated by a spark of lightning and the rolling of thunder.

As Antonio fell onto the muddy road with his red essence leaking onto the dirt below, those blonde locks he had seen now fell away and met the dirt; silky ebony now ruled his rapidly blurring vision.

---​

“He’s coming here?” the voice creaked in the darkness of that cold enclosure.

That room sported not just walls thickened by the hardened rock freshly hewn from a local quarry, but also a haphazard application of earthwork. The grotesque masonry was covered by various tapestries and draperies all of which worked together to reduce the possible vibrations of the rooms to nothing. For the men gathered in this dark chamber, there was no crucifix along the wall or icon. There was not even the bare cross of the Protestants. This blackened architecture housed crueler heretics.

“We have to make preparations,” another voice in the dark uttered.

“How did he find us?” a third hissed.

“We were fortunate that he did not find us at all until now. Hiding at the very heart of this nation would have fooled anyone into a sense of safety,” the first one consoled.

“Then we must get rid of all the records,” the second proposed.

There was a general grunt of agreement among all of them before papers fluttered into existence from the darkness. From the emanation of each voice came forth documents as if each person was throwing parchments blindly in the dark. Together, they formed in the middle of the room and the first one approached to toast the pile with a lick of flame.

Within that bright illumination hand drawn figures of circles and spheres began to fade away into an afterlife of ash and smoke. Illustrations of a man walking into a sphere surrounded by keys were now part of the dirt covering the floor. Pen marks denoting a line across a page marked on one end 1520, the other 2007 were now blackened embers. The word “Timepiece” faded away in that cleansing blaze.

“He must not know that his secret has been revealed to us,” the first one stated tersely.

“Let the cover of decadence hide these proceedings,” the second said as if responding to with some unholy psalm.

“May he be distracted by the lusts of the young and not find what we have uncovered here underneath the new Sodom we have built,” the third ended.

“The meeting of the Council of the Scarlet Academy is over. Let all Councilmen understand that the knowledge now rests only with us,” the first commanded.

“Yes,” the others responded.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Marcus Councilman tapped on the keyboard suddenly with a loss of focus. Already seducing three more individuals to worship her fake pictures—all were of obscure male model-wannabes who were stupid enough to post on the internet—and to think that she represented the pinnacle of societal achievement, she was suddenly bored.

Hitting the off button she exited with a huff and pounced backward onto the couch of that jet. Only two more hours until she reached Beijing and there, she would finally have a little more freedom.

“Do you want me to contact anyone for you?” Andrew asked from the other side of the plane. The subservient peon finally broke his silence.

“Naa,” she let out with a disdained sigh, “I’m just a bit bored. I’m sure that will change once we get to Beijing though.”

“Why is that, darling?”

Marcus waited a moment as she looked up to the ceiling as if she could see something of her future among the sleek wood-like finish of the interior.

“Because that’s when I’ll be delivering that to the Ming Clique,” she said pointing to the back to the plane.

Andrew looked back curiously to the portion of the craft behind him and noticed a rather large suitcase. He found it a bit queer seeing as how they usually stowed luggage in the hold. That’s when he noticed the sign on the side of the metal casing. It was a black circle on a yellow triangle background. Around the circle at the twelve, four, and eight o clock positions were black rays which resembled the shape of Japanese fans. Andrew’s eyes widened with psychotic ecstasy.

Chapter XXXIII: Beijing (coming soon)