• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kurt_Steiner: Haha , that silly Peti ; what does a supermodel have to do with all of this XD . The irony !

Avernite: Oh I love playing mind tricks ! No one guessed it this time ! You were all ready to hang our poor Willem XD

Mettermrck: He's a straight shooter that's for sure XD

POP QUIZ !

Test your Timelines Erudition with this quiz ! :D It should also help you folks get a nice recap of the previous chapter !

I. Multiple Choice

1. Yufka is...
a) ragged old clothes
b) Turkish canvas
c) Turkish flatbread
d) none of the above

2. "The Signal" is a pseudo-reference title because...
a) This Friday, an independent film of that name will be released
b) This Friday, a studio film of that name will be released
c) This Friday, a new film will be announced under that codename
e) This Friday, a Spanish film by that name comes out on DVD

3. Raul was wiping off the blood from the Hospital floor because...
a) He's one sick mothertrucker and he enjoys that kind of work
b) Sailors bled on the floor after defending Renault from the Assassin
c) Riku struggled to stop Willem from killing Renault
d) Willem was sloppy when he was mixing his blood with Renault's

4. Renault attempted to tell Madeleine something about the instructions he left behind for her. Which of the following was one of the things he said:
a) "The cake... is a lie..."
b) "Within friends..."
c) "You must... construct... additional... pylons..."
d) "Cara-- Caramell-- Caramelldansen!"

II. Short Answer (one or two sentences)

5. Who is the Duque de Lerma? Provide historical evidence as well as literary evidence for your answer.

6. What reason(s) does Alvaro de Guzman give Metropolitan Andronikos for coming to the Silent Room?

7. Why did the ship at the end of the dock that Willem visited not have a complete hull and exposed its hold to the open sea below?

III. Essay Question (Choose ONE out of the THREE) You may refer to the text without the need for page citations. Extra Credit will be given if you choose to answer more than one. If you answer more than one, only the correct answers will be counted so you are encouraged to try.

Essay Question 1: Manhood and coming of age is a motif that occurs several times in Timelines such as with Tom, Raul, Taguchi and Zeren. Discussing one or more of these characters, how does each reveal what Manhood means and what it entails?

Essay Question 2: Timelines utilizes the Renaissance idea of Microcosm/Macrocosm where the physical state of the character sheds light to their universe or to the universe they wish to subscribe to. How do characters like Marcus, Cardinal DeWitt, Willem, or a character of your choosing demonstrate this aspect?

Essay Question 3: Recently, you have read Cardinal DeWitt's short poem in Terza Rema rhyme. Explain the connection between Terza Rema and the structure of the chapters in Timelines. Keeping in mind who started the rhyme scheme, what does it reveal about the author's intentions for the overall architecture?

BONUS QUESTION:
proposal.png

This made up Japanese or Chinese character (sloppily written by Madeleine on parchment) is composed of 3 elements. Name at least one of the three elements and what it means. Extra points for the one who names all three.

1 D?

2 e?

3 A and D

4 A, C and D

5 A crook. Evidence: he's Spanish. Given the timeframe that makes him a likely foe of the Republic, and thus he's a crook. Plus he's a good friend of the king, which makes it even worse.

6 important things have to be discussed, and everything is in chaos. Also he wants to kill the metropolitan, but he didn't outright say it. It would be plainly obvious for anyone who has seen modern movies, though.

7 So the sub can enter.

Essay 1:

Tom learns that his fantasies are very real, and very lethal. Raul learns that, at times, his lost woman is not ALL important, or at the very least that he needs to tell other people why he does things for her. Taguchi learns that knifes hurt even if you try to deny who you are. And Zeren learns that, some time, you have to stop relying on your teachers.

In essence, they are all told (by canonized) that they are childish and need to grow up, and only Zeren manages to get through without being hurt badly in the process. An omen, perhaps?

Essay 2:

Marcus knows that the world is not really like the Spanish empire wishes it, and he still longs for the freedom inherent in a liberal world, in a sense similar to that exhibited by the last people to be ruled by the God Emperor in the Dune series. Mankind has a longing for the unknown, for choosing to take your own risk. Marcus attempts to create this universe, by choosing to be a man/woman rather than the strict lines drawn by society. He also seeks to blow up the entire world order, which is the same thing to a much larger extent: he wants freedom, and he will defy society to get it.

Essay 3: Terza rema does not exist on Wikipedia, thus we must make do with esoteric derivations.

However, the derivation is simple: whatever I come up with, the author has not, as he consistently attempts to throw us off. Thus, the fact that a cardinal started it must mean the poem has significance to a hinduist, buddhist, muslem or some other such faith. In short, Terza Rema is employed as yet another means to destroy our sanity.

Bonus:

It's a woman in a dress, with the beak of a duck. It obviously means Madeleine is a secret Donald Duck fan, and this is a drawing of Daisy Duck. It's another sneaky reference to some cultural thing that we can find in the rest of this work.

The above has no resemblance to a coherent thought structure; This can all be blamed on the author playing mindtricks on us. I, Avernite, am in no way responsible for the many factual errors undoubtedly included :p

Hehe, You must construct additional pylons!
Where are the Templars when you need them?
I'm sure some DTs (dark templars) would come in handy here...maybe an Archon for shock value...

nice chapter, brought a smile to my face after so long.

1984, don't know much about that year, I wasn't exactly born, so I am eager to see what is next.

about the quiz.... I have my finals this week, so I am avoiding answering questions :D

Thank you for the b-day present, I liked it a lot (not sure about the quiz though)

and btw, we are getting a puppy and the name we are choosing is either Van Axel or Duncan. Can you believe it, and I didn't even suggest Axel either :rolleyes:

Avernite said:
However, the derivation is simple: whatever I come up with, the author has not, as he consistently attempts to throw us off. Thus, the fact that a cardinal started it must mean the poem has significance to a hinduist, buddhist, muslem or some other such faith. In short, Terza Rema is employed as yet another means to destroy our sanity.

ROFL . You kill me every time . I'll release the answers before the next update to give people more time ! By the way , how is that article coming along ? XD

ColossusCrusher: XD . It would have been a good answer !

comagoosie: a very cool name for a dog ! And 1984 is a bit famous you can go google it XD .

You don't want the Templars involved - then some plucky American semiotics professor gets involved, there's an albino on the loose, and Dan Brown gets sued. Again.

As for the quiz... can't take it yet, I'm still getting caught up. :(

And that's why you send in a few Hydralisks to calm everyone down...if they're eaten, they're calmer...in a fashion.

That Dutchman! Smarter then THIS Dutchman:

canonized said:
I don't think I've ever heard of the Sakura-mod though o_O .

Though I WAS sober both then and now, I meant the Sengoku-mod... Yep, Willem is the more practical.

As usual, most enjoyable.

General_BT: ROFL . Ahh the Templars . They were involved in the very first chapters actually . It's one of the reasons we had to go to Southern France XD . I haven't panned it out yet fully .

ColossusCrusher: Haha oh you guys XD . CC , you should get your SCBW working and come duel me XD

nette001: Ahh ! Haven't had the pleasure of playing it !

comagoosie said:
1984! I don't need to google it! 1984 is a famous book, but what does that have to do with the next chapter. I can only wonder... :D
1984, or, the words most strongly linked with that Big Brother (for some of us, in more ways than one :p )

A strongly dystopian novel.

Notable themes:
thought control (or rather: information control going so far as to result in thought control) - perhaps not all that dissimilar to what the Silent Room hopes to achieve with respect to the timepieces, eradicating, insofar as possible, all independent thought (or atleast, independent cultures and faiths) and choice.

A perpetual struggle, with ever changing enemies, possibly with the (knowing) cooperation of the same third parties that are the enemies.. Perhaps not all that dissimilar to what the Silent Room is engaged in with the likes of Sio-Pan, Marcus Councilman et.al. ...From what we have seen, they know more about each other (or, atleast the opposition knows more about the Silent Room) than what would seem reasonable when you are engaged in a life and death struggle, possible evidence of a not entirely 'honest' war? For the public at large, the nation of Spain continues to find new enemies that are 'obviously evil' and that may inspire a sense of nationalism to unite behind the crown.

Room 101: We've seen a number of "worst fears" situations, plenty of situations where people are forced to, or seem to be forced to, betray their loved (or close) ones.

A fa(i/l)ling protagonist: In 1984, the protagonist eventually is beaten by the system.. Here, we have seen a number of protagonists (or apparent protagonists) betray themselves or their friends, falling to "the enemy" as the protagonist in 1984 falls to the system (which definately should be seen as an enemy in 1984).

1 - C
2 - A (theatrical release, that is)
3 - CURRENTLY, D, although any of A-C could also apply
4 - B certainly, A is a probable (they both haven't exactly displayed any affection for cooking, blaming the food would be a typical reason not to have to like cooking)

Also, be aware:
TOUCH NOT THE PYLONS, THEY ARE THE MESSENGERS.

(and good luck with finding where that comes from)

5 -
Don Francisco Gómez de Sandoval y Rojas, Duke of Lerma, 'first' of the "validos" (a noble council of sorts), fell from grace in 1618 and was replaced by a De Guzman. Historically, one could say he is the equivalent of the Panzerkardinal (being a cardinal too, and the "grey eminence" of Spain), which makes him competition (knowingly or unknowingly) the Panzerkardinal's opponent in Timelines.
I mention De Guzman, as this may be a foreshadowing of what Alvaro de Guzman may be planning for the Silent Room -worse than just decapitating, he might turn it against 'itself'.

6 -
Continuity; the Silent Room needs leadership to oppose the visible council (De Lerma & friends), and he suggests a 'reunion' with Julio.

7 -
The "cover for submarine" reason seems good enough..

Essay I:
Meh, none of them married, had children, settled down or did the dishes and/or cleaning, they're all young whippersnappers ! :p

..And I'll propose senor Bevan Woodhouse, going from a childhood crush, and childhood/idealistic view of the tournament to showing his dedication both to his education (knowing when to sacrifice) and his love... He's an idiot for doing it, but it's not the act of a child.

Alternatively, if you insist on one of the named characters; Zeren faces betrayal, honour where he expects none (christian monsters!), and learns to acknowledge his teacher as such and as a friend (and no longer a 'babysitter')

Essay II:
Mu! (it's not a renaissance idea)
Marcus Councilman is an interesting option, one could say (s)he feels to be in the wrong situation/body - and recognises Tom's writing as the "right" world (from memory) /the other sex as the right body. And (s)he also acts to "right" the "wrongs"

Essay III:
I believe the term is Terza Rima.

One could say that each stanza (chapter) both links back (rhymes with) to the previous chapter, and foreshadows (again, rhymes with) what might happen in the next. But well, that's a little easy, isn't it, since pretty much every story has that to some degree.
I'm too lazy to check (to any significant degree), but I believe that every chapter to date has been made of three parts. In comparing with the Terza Rima, this would suggest that two chapters (an "history" and a "present"?) rhyme with each other/mirror each other to some degree, and link back to the third of the previous. The third part (usually, but I believe not exclusively, a "history") sets a "new stage" for the next chapter to continue with.
That the author wishes to make a comparison between himself and the great Dante mandates a visit to the first terrace :p (I KNEW I shouldn't have voted for Timelines ;) )
On the other hand - it's probably intended as a pointer that the various circles of hell, purgatory, paradise will/have been visited, in a literary way..Certainly a number of them can be readily identified (limbo; the virtuous though not catholic, to name but one)

Bonus Q:

sadly, no Asian fonts supported here, so I can't really look at anything related to what it might possibly mean...

Madeleine's funny character;

elements possibly identified:

Gate (the two "mirror" signs)
go / go slowly (the sign underneath the gate) [or is it "9"?]

..I don't know about the funny little scribles above the 'gate' though..
If the second identified is indeed "go", it's probably a numeral of sort (ie. "walk 10 paces starting from under the gate")

ForzaA: You're getting close with the Bonus ! Yes , the Gate is part of the three elements . The top one would be the hardest to figure out . :D And pointing out the virtuous pagans , you've done well so far XD .

Also , one could have mentioned Sio-Pan for Macrocosm/Microcosm . Here is a man who has bought some measure of immortality in exchange for being filled with poison . A testament to the way one can be sustained in an earthly existence by earthly things .

My Brood War does work...I just have to wait about 5 minutes to load to Battle.net.
I play User Map Settings, anyway...more fun.

ForzaA said:
The topmost symbol appears to be "heart"

You're getting there ;)

DISCLAIMER : If I remember correctly...

If you add the top radical to the character for "you" it becomes the formalized version, but yes, it is a heart, rotated on its side.
I can't believe I remember that from my four years of Chinese (I passed, but I was surprised I did as well as I did).