The West - A Dynamic Colonial Overhaul for Europa Universalis IV

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rather then calling them colonial centers, I'd call them Viceroys. Colonial revolts shouldn't always be the end result either. The mother nation granting independence or creating a commonwealth/federation with its colonies should also be possible.

Overall though, I think this is a good way of working colonization.

If its done this way, I'll be crushing Europe and not worrying about colonies. Who cares about land that will go independent if I can extinguish my neighbors and rule them all. The idea that every colony must rebel against its mother country is ridiculous and counter productive to a player who won't go for it, if he's ultimately going to loose them.

If its done this way, I'll be crushing Europe and not worrying about colonies. Who cares about land that will go independent if I can extinguish my neighbors and rule them all. The idea that every colony must rebel against its mother country is ridiculous and counter productive to a player who won't go for it, if he's ultimately going to loose them.

You're thinking like Napoléon right there.
But the problem you're pointing to is exactly the same with the player knowing beforehand where to explore and where to colonize (because we know our history, and where the developers put the juicy provinces).
Sure, we already know and therefore have trouble faking the surprise of discovery. Does it prevent people from playing the exploration and colonization game altogether? I don't think so.
And I, for one, would gladly play this proposed system. Seems like it's got quite the potential to me.

Plus, you're forgetting the part where the player can squeeze the colonies and gather a huge pile of gold before they revolt. Gold that can be used to crush European neighbours.
So I'm sure even the steamrollers would go for the juicy colonies anyway.

Last edited:
Why not make it so that if you colonise, I dunno, more than three contiguous provinces, after a certain level of maturity, they become a colonial vassal, whose ultimate aim is independence? You could then get triggered events that would allow nearby similar colonial vassals to revolt as well, perhaps forming a loose confederation?

Keep in mind that with the new trade system you have to bend the trade routes into your coffers. So having colonies helps you tame the traffic.
Plus the extra manpower from colonies doesn't heard either.
I strongly approves the OP's ideas. But it should be possible for the mother country to win an independence war with its colonies and set the independence
momentum back some decades.

So what if a player were to release a colony with a breakaway culture and than reconquer it ? Would it trigger assimilation process ? And if not, how would the whole act be different from conquering preexisting overseas states ?

Last edited:
Why not make it so that if you colonise, I dunno, more than three contiguous provinces, after a certain level of maturity, they become a colonial vassal, whose ultimate aim is independence? You could then get triggered events that would allow nearby similar colonial vassals to revolt as well, perhaps forming a loose confederation?
Perhaps contiguous shouldn't be a requirement, since at least Massachusetts wasn't contiguous at the time of independence.

I really really want some sort of Colonial Charter feature in EUIV. Also, Colonies do not necessarily need tags, It could just be a new interface where you could see the profit,population,production, etc and the Governor or Viceroy should have skills that effect the growth and production of the colony(Like actual nations).

i can honestly say this sounds like one of the best ideas yet for colonization. So good infact that i refuse to buy the game if it isn't included only when it is included will i buy it.

hurrah for small minded logic!

but seriously after reading this if there isnt some sort of good colonial system at least pertaining to the OP's idea it will reduce the games enjoyment for me immensly so fingers crossed they make a good system because we all know ill be buying it regardless i was brought up as a mindless consumer afterall.

Edit: wish i never read this thread actually.

i can honestly say this sounds like one of the best ideas yet for colonization. So good infact that i refuse to buy the game if it isn't included only when it is included will i buy it.

hurrah for small minded logic!

but seriously after reading this if there isnt some sort of good colonial system at least pertaining to the OP's idea it will reduce the games enjoyment for me immensly so fingers crossed they make a good system because we all know ill be buying it regardless i was brought up as a mindless consumer afterall.

Edit: wish i never read this thread actually.

Best reply so far, such a range of emotion... :D The trade system looks very revolutionary, that alone will make me buy EU4 no matter what. That, and being a mindless consumer as well.