• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now now back to topic.

What did Wil the conqueror do apart from conquering England? There must be something, but I have no clue actually ;)

Registered said:
Source please:)

What? You seriously don't know about the Battle of Myeongnyang? :confused:

Wikipedia leak is making it hard to find a non-Wikipedia source, but the ROKN site has a biography of Yi Sun-Shin that mentions the battle. 12 vs 133, all warships. The Japanese had a bunch of transports as well, so you'll sometimes see that latter number as high as 300+.

And there's the fact that he never lost a battle, and due to his strategic wisdom in not falling for a Japanese trap he was accused of cowardice/treason, beaten, and demoted to nothing, only to save the day completely at the aforementioned battle with the last remnants of the Korean fleet, and yadda yadda yadda...

General Jac said:

What? Who are you talking to?

anonymous4401 said:
What? You seriously don't know about the Battle of Myeongnyang? :confused:
No :eek:o , very impressive though. Strange that the Chinese did not see the advantages of naval power after this.
Then again did the Japanese vessels have cannon?

Avernite said:
Now now back to topic.

What did Wil the conqueror do apart from conquering England? There must be something, but I have no clue actually ;)
crusaderknight's brief history of "Billy the Butt Kicker" and why he deserves to be on the top 100, even if only at the very bottom.

At the age of 7, young Billy became the Duke of Normandy.

Billy fought his first major battle at Val-es-Dunes, when he was but 19 years old. According to William of Poitiers, young Billy led his boys straight at the enemy and broke his foe with a massive slaughter.

I have read about an amazing tactic he used at Hastings. (I cannot recall the source, so I am not sure how reliable it is, but do not discount it yet). During the battle, a cry arose from the Norman ranks (supposedly spoken by Billy himself) that the Duke was dead. The Normans fled down the hill, while the Anglish cheered, and then pursued. After the Normans were some distance away, Billy tore off his helmet, revealing his face to his soldiers, and shouted, "Your Duke lives! Fight on!". The Normans regained their courage and destroyed the Anglish who were now overconfident (they didn't know that Billy wasn't dead until it was too late). If the following is true, then I say that's quite a brilliant strategy, and definately worthy of being somewhere between #100 and #90 on the list.

disclaimer: I have not, to date, read many first hand accounts of William, and so some of my info may be a bit faulty. Quote me in school reports at your own risk.

I'll post a synopsis of what changes have been requested thus far:

Generals to move up
Alessandro Farnese I will move up
Oda Nobunaga I will move up a little
Saxe I'm not convinced to move him up
Henry V I'm not convinced to move him up

Generals to move down
Frederick the Great I'm not convinced to move him down. Who else could go in 5th place?
Charles XII I will move him far down

Generals to move on
Leonidas I'm not convinced
Richard I the Lionheart I may put him on
Montgomery I don't think I'll put him on
George Washington I'm not convinced
Robert the Bruce I may put him on
Charles X I'm not convinced, yet.. which of these Swedes was best?
Torstensson I'm not convinced
Baner I'm not convinced
Willem III Better leader than general

Generals to be moved off
Pyrrhus Goodbye
William the Conqueror Goodbye
Charles XII Is he really not in the top 100?
Saladin Goodbye, pending others who will come to defend him, I'm sure

Hulaoguan, you posted a good list of pertinant Chinese generals. Could you please consider all of them and make a recommendation? The English sources are so scanty for them; I don't really have enough information to have a good feel. I'd like to know how tough their opposition was, whether they were inferior or superior in numbers in most of their battles, and whether they were in any way innovative in their techniques. Also, of course, an idea of their record in terms of success in the campaigns, and also on the battlefield. The difficulty for the Chinese is that most of their opposition is inferior or uncivilized, like the Xiongnu. Of course, there were also the civil wars.

Which of those that you recommended do you think was really a better general than, say, Chandragupta Maurya?

crusaderknight said:
I have read about an amazing tactic he used at Hastings. (I cannot recall the source, so I am not sure how reliable it is, but do not discount it yet). During the battle, a cry arose from the Norman ranks (supposedly spoken by Billy himself) that the Duke was dead. The Normans fled down the hill, while the Anglish cheered, and then pursued. After the Normans were some distance away, Billy tore off his helmet, revealing his face to his soldiers, and shouted, "Your Duke lives! Fight on!". The Normans regained their courage and destroyed the Anglish who were now overconfident (they didn't know that Billy wasn't dead until it was too late). If the following is true, then I say that's quite a brilliant strategy, and definately worthy of being somewhere between #100 and #90 on the list.

Let's see. The way I heard it was thus:
William had his strong Norman troops in his center, his Breton (still tribes) contingent on his left, and his French, Flemings, and misc. adventurers on his right.

Harold, who was considered the second-greatest general in Europe of the time (after William) had moved quickly from Northumberland after defeating the Norwegian invaders at Stamford Bridge in a desperate encounter that killed some 75% of the invaders. Harold had not had time to gather all the forces from the south; and the north, under the rival earls Edwin and Morcar, did not send their forces.

Harold's force had almost no archers, but had some javelineers. He placed his very steady, axe-wielding, well trained house-carls in the center, and poorly trained levies on each wing. He was stationed on a little rise.

The battle began with several charges of the Normans against the center, first the infantry and then the cavalry. These were driven back with heavy losses. The assaults on the wing were also driven back, but the right wing of the Saxons broke order to follow the Bretons. At this point William rode among them without his helmet to restore order, which they succeeded in doing.

The battle was renewed with another assault by the Normans, which failed to break the line. This time, however, William ordered the Bretons to feign flight, and again the Saxon levies broke formation. This time, the Bretons gathered and turned on them, and broke up the levies. There were tremendous losses on both sides, and some of the French horsemen charging them were forced into a ravine and slaughtered.

The Normans now flanked the Saxons, and took the higher ground. It was now 3 in the afternoon, and the battle had been raging for 6 hours. For 3 more hours, the housecarls of the center maintained their shield-wall, but at the end of that time Harold was killed, as the archers of the Normans began to send their arrows high so they would fall over the shield wall. The fight went on, but soon the shield wall was broken and the Normans overwelmed the house-carls.

Nearly all of the trained troops of the Saxons were killed, and all of their nobles. Approximately half of the Norman force were casualties, but there was no force left in Southern England to oppose them.

Such is what I know of the battle of Hastings.

Now, why is Caesar above Scipio?

Cartago Nova --> Completely unexpected, very daring strategic move, change war in Spain.
Other battles in Spain --> All right, maybe Hasdrubal was not a genius, but Scipio won quite handily.
Utica --> Kind of nasty, but very bloodless victory for the Romans (and quite a disaster for the carthaginians).
Zama --> Well, defeating Hannibal should count for something, right? :p (even if Scipio got cavalry advantage and the like, but Scipio did everything right at that battle).

So, both tactically and strategically, quite good. Now, Caesar is all good (and comparing how he did in Gaul with how other romand did in Spain tend to improve your opinion of the old Julius), but better than Scipio?

Scipio was a genius. Almost the equal of Hannibal, he certainly learnt alot from him.

And Alexander still #1, despite fighting 5 battles, 10 at the most? I can hardly see how this makes him the greatest general of all time.

DSMyers1 said:
Hulaoguan, you posted a good list of pertinant Chinese generals. Could you please consider all of them and make a recommendation? The English sources are so scanty for them; I don't really have enough information to have a good feel. I'd like to know how tough their opposition was, whether they were inferior or superior in numbers in most of their battles, and whether they were in any way innovative in their techniques. Also, of course, an idea of their record in terms of success in the campaigns, and also on the battlefield. The difficulty for the Chinese is that most of their opposition is inferior or uncivilized, like the Xiongnu. Of course, there were also the civil wars.

Which of those that you recommended do you think was really a better general than, say, Chandragupta Maurya?

I will need abit of time to answer these questions about those I listed.

As to your second question on how they compare to Chandragupta Maurya, I can answer that immediately. As a ruler who also led forces in the field, Chandragupta Maurya is better compared to some of the founding emperors of Chinese dynasties.Most of those that I listed were pure field commanders, with the exception of Zhuge Liang who was a very capable prime minister as well/

Amongst those emperors who led troops in battle at least part of the time ( instead of just sending generals here and there from his court) and suceeded in conquery much of China as a founding emperor were :

Zhang Kuang Ying aka Sung Taizu, ( first emperor of Sung dynasty),
Zhu Yuan Zhang aka Ming Taizu aka Hungwu emperor ( first emperor of Ming dynasty)
Yuanxiu Aguda ( first emperor of the non Chinese Jin dynasty),
Li Yuan and Li Shi Min ( first and second emperors of the Tang dynasty). Li Shi Min is in your list.
Liu Xiu aka Han Guangwu emperor ( first emperor of Eastern Han dynasty)

Of these, most would consider Li Shi Min or Zhu Yuan Zhang the best in terms of their military ability.

There are also a couple of other emperors who were military renowned in terms of either their military prowess or their military reforms: inclduing Zhou Shizong of the short life Latter Zhou dynasty, Zhu Di aka Yongle emperor ( third emperor Ming dynasty), Han Wudi, who was closely invovled in planning most of the Han-Xiongnu war during his reign, and Cao Cao of Wei.

Also, I wont consider Xiongnus and other non Han tribes " inferior" or "uncilivised" and think that they were somehow not worthy opponents of the Chinese. While they may not have the numbers, they were militarily more superior than Chinese dynasties in terms of mobility, toughness and unity.The Xiongnus troubled China during the Warring states period, Qin and the first 70 years of the Han dynasty. The Tubo almost sacked Changan. Non Han tribes like Xianbei, Qiang, Turque, Dis etc ruled northern China for about 400 years.
And of course, there are the Khitans, Jins, Mongols and Manchus who actually governed China in whole or in part. There were a few Chinese emperors who were captured by raiding armies from their capital or in battlefield. When the non Han tribes were unified, they were often ruled by great rulers, employed Chinese advisors , recruit Chinese soliders and used Chinese military methods ( of course the dynasties also recruit non Chinese soldiers). There is never any certianly that generals under Chinese dynasties would be able to beat them in the constant wars on the frontiers. So those that did often achieved great renown.

Last edited:
General Gallieni, commander of the Parisian garrison in 1914, and one of the officers most involved into shaping the Battle of the Marne.

After the battle, his German opponent said something like that : "There was probably only one general in the whole world who, charged to defend a fortified city, would choose to empty it of its troops and send his forces to fight a forward battle out in the open. It was my particular misfortune that my adversary, General Gallieni, was this one general".

Naturally, Gallieni is not the world best general, and I'm not sure he would figure in a Top 100 either. BUt still, I have this particular fondness for him - and for an era when his adversary (I think it was Moeltke but I'm not sure) not only could show respect for him, but felt inclined to do so.

Hulaoguan said:
There are also a couple of other emperors who were military renowned in terms of either their military prowess or their military reforms: inclduing Zhou Shizong of the short life Latter Zhou dynasty, Zhu Di aka Yongle emperor ( third emperor Ming dynasty), Han Wudi, who was closely invovled in planning most of the Han-Xiongnu war during his reign, and Cao Cao of Wei.
What about Xiang Yu?

Do you think the Kangxi emperor deserves being nr 75?

the number of greatest generals in history exceeds 100 by far.
that list is an emberresment to those great minds.

Fornadan said:
What about Xiang Yu?

Do you think the Kangxi emperor deserves being nr 75?

Yes, Xiang Yu. I forgot him. He would be a contender for the greatest warrior in Chinese history. A martial ruler who never lost a single battle or even a hand to hand encounter, but lost the war that mattered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiang_Yu

On Kangxi, he certainly deserved a place on the list. Actually I am more concerned with commanders from China getting their recognition rather than specific rankings. Kangxi should certainly be up there though with the great warrior rulers of the world.

One more word on the founding Ming emperor Zhu Yuanzhang ( the Hongwu Emperor). He was often compared to Napoleon of the East. And he was certainly more ruthless than Nappy. He NEVER let his generals and ministers betray him. In fact, he killed most of them after they have won him the empire.

Another comment on those field generals listed earlier. While almost all Chinese dynasties faced a constant security threat on their northern frontier, not many Chinese dynasties take offensive actions against the nations on the steppes. Those who were successful in these wars were even fewer. Han, Tang and Qing were the most successful. As such, their generals will feature prominently on any " great Chinese generals" list.

Last edited:
Alexander should get moved to 4 or 5 - if 'not losing' is that big of a criterion, then Suvorov should get moved waaaaay up.

Marlborough wasn't 20 spots on the list better than Wellesly. Not sure if that means he should be moved down or Wellesly should be moved up.

Wallenstein was better than you say he is - I'd give him a tie with Adolphus.

Turenne and Conde were virtually tied as far as generalship goes. Turenne managed to beat Conde, sure, but Conde was, IMO, more successful against foreigners.

Top three should be Napoleon, Ghengis, and Frederick. Hannibal doesn't make it becuase of his loss of and unimpressive record after the Punic Wars.

DSMyers1 said:
Akbar was a truly great leader, but he rarely had to fight wars because of his skillful diplomacy. You have read more about that area--did Akbar actually lead his armies himself, and did he ever fight anybody of note? He fought a war just after he took the throne at age 13, but I doubt that he was the general then. That was the most major war I found that he undertook.

Sher Shah Suri is on at #96. Is that who you are meaning?

Not just a great ruler but according to many historians the greatest ruler ever.
He fought himself and is even aclaimed to have ended a siege once by shooting the enemy general from the ramparts.

Abul Fazal, and even the hostile critic Badayuni, described him as having a commanding personality. He was fearless in the chase as well as in the field of battle, and, "like Alexander of Macedon, was always ready to risk his life, regardless of political consequences". He often plunged his horse into the full-flooded river during the rainy seasons and safely crossed over to the other side. Though a mighty conqueror, he did not usually indulge in cruelty.

That is the reason I think he should be included in the top quarter of this list. (which is a good one :))

And, Sher Shah Suri is indeed Sher Khan :)

HJ Tulp said:
So where is Willem III? I'd expect him to be somewhere around 90 but still on the list. See his brilliance for the Bonn-Campaign. I'll spare you Van Heutsz ;)
He is also the last general to have succesfully invaded England with a fleet consisting of 4 times the ships of the Armada (incidentally exactly 100 years later). In the aftermath also subduing Ireland.

Plus for all those who have put Marlborough in, he betrayed king James and was thus either unreliable or he didnt dare to fight William.

w_mullender said:
Plus for all those who have put Marlborough in, he betrayed king James and was thus either unreliable or he didnt dare to fight William.

Marlborough was a politician at heart, and a good one. He saw what was coming and positioned himself to profit by it, which he did. I don't think he would have hesitated fighting William, but it wasn't in his best interests. He, like most good politicians, was always looking out for himself.

DSMyers1 said:
Charles X I'm not convinced, yet.. which of these Swedes was best?
Gustavus, really. KX was a vigilante and player through and through, but overall it seems like he betted on the right side. KXII was an extremely skilled general, but he didnt introduce a whole new way of fighting like G2A did.

This thread is interesting but shouldn't there be a criteria for the generals?

I mean the people on the list vary greatly. Maybe if there were topics like tatics, strategy, subordinates and such a more comprehensive list could be made in which every topic keeps something in common with the rest.

Well thats my two cents , I feel these discussions run around in circles, but nonetheless I commend the epic undertaking.

Mr.G 24 said:
This thread is interesting but shouldn't there be a criteria for the generals?

I mean the people on the list vary greatly. Maybe if there were topics like tatics, strategy, subordinates and such a more comprehensive list could be made in which every topic keeps something in common with the rest.

Well thats my two cents , I feel these discussions run around in circles, but nonetheless I commend the epic undertaking.

Actually, I do use criteria, but it is not a complete set, so I also go by feel somewhat. These are the criteria I have in my database so far, though not every general is ranked, because for many generals I do not know all of these: Tactical Skill, Grand Strategy, Logistics, Innovation, Charisma, Diplomacy, Scale of Conquests, Difficulty, Impact on History.
I do lack a few catagories, such as actual success level, and positive results for the general's nation (i. e. Napoleon's weak point).