• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To add onto this response, when you build a new factory, the times to finish look to be different, but the instant you let a day go by, they all change to the same day.

Thank you Panzer6, this make the things clear now.

As Panzer6 stated, in the second day of production the finish date for the factories building in provs with different infra will become the same, even if in the first day of production it appear differents.
This behaviour is misleading and confusing. It should presume that the end production date shown when you add the item to production queue it will remain the same also next days but factories are a Paradox :D. Other items are also an exception? :)

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how Germany is able to finish researching 51 Elite infantry before 49? i thought there is a research penalty for each day you research earlier than the actual day and you can not make any progress if you try to research the technology two years ahead ... :confused:

Can someone tell me how Germany is able to finish researching 51 Elite infantry before 49? i thought there is a research penalty for each day you research earlier than the actual day and you can not make any progress if you try to research the technology two years ahead ... :confused:

IIRC Remble is playing on the hardest setting and the AI gets a 40% (I think) bonus to research thus offsetting a lot of the research ahead of time penalty.

Maximum ahead of time penalty is -90%, so that +40% offsets almost half of it.

Baneslave said:
Can someone tell me how Germany is able to finish researching 51 Elite infantry before 49? i thought there is a research penalty for each day you research earlier than the actual day and you can not make any progress if you try to research the technology two years ahead ...

Not only the 40% bonus, but all the computer technologies give you a 10% boost to research. Assuming they have the basic three that's only -20% research penalty, not bad for Germany's tech teams

Just a nitpick, but they only give 5%. That's still a huge discount from the 90% malus.

EnglandWarrior - Thank you. Ethiopia's days may well be numbered :)

LuXun - I am sure the Winter snows bury them pretty quickly.

cjwet, cosminus, EnglandWarrior, Panzer6, zdlugasz - Welcome back out of lurkdom and thank you :) Better ships would be nice but the build times for the bigger ships would mean that I would not produce any of them before the end of the game.

As for factories I think it has been answered. To clarify things.

i. All factories take the same time to build with Infrastructure making no difference. (Yes there is the 24 hour lag before the production screen updates the build times) 40% Infrastructure is the minimum required to build a factory.

ii. In DD v1.3a it takes one manpower per factory.

iii. Infrastructure does increase the construction speed and repair time. (Time it takes to actually build on the map after it is produced) The number of factories already in the province speeds it up a lot more than the infrastructure level though.

iv. Infrastructure increases supply and movement speed through a province.

Beppo - Thanks. A few more divisions would speed things up but I have a vast Empire now and no manpower to build more troops.

Krogzar - Being overextended makes it more fun certainly :)

Sokraates - I only reported some of the Transport losses in the Baltic. They lost between four and six loaded flotillas in February.

UncleAlias - The AI has it's limits but it does what it can within those limits.

Maj. von Mauser - Thank you. The Allies cannot grow much bigger and will soon only be able to shrink in size :D

Nathan Madien - They actually had the entire African coast garrisoned before I annexed South Africa. It seems that either those troops vanished along with South Africa or the British AI redeployed them. They were British controlled so I would expect the latter to be the case.

Mattabesta - That is a whole lot of views and thank you all for your continued presence :)

Baneslave - Four days means it is getting a bit long :) Thank you very much. I actually read the comments through quite often.

harezmi, EnglandWarrior, Baneslave, alan_le_cowboy, Elecwaves, ColossusCrusher - The original question has been answered I think. Again to clarify.

i. -90% ahead time is maximum.

ii. 40% bonus for very hard setting.

iii. Maximum of 40% for research bonus from technology. 20% from standard technology and 20% from advanced.

iv. AI could only suffer a -10% penalty if it has researched all the advanced technology.

Elecwaves - Welcome aboard :)

Monthly update to follow ...

Last edited:
Update (March 1st 1949)

0000 March 1st 1949.
Imperial Palace. Tokyo, Japan.

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen. I will outline our goals for the year before we go into the normal reports from around the table." Hideki started the monthly meeting.

"- Reduce the United States Navy to below fifteen Aircraft Carriers.

- Reduce the Allies to below twenty member States.

- Capture Europe with the exception of the United Kingdom and Ireland.

- Capture Africa.

- Capture all territory in the Mediterranean Sea and purge the sealanes of enemy shipping.

- Destroy the Comintern Alliance.

We have achieved none of these targets so far and are months away from reaching any of them. Intelligence please." concluded Hideki.

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning." Kuniaki began. "I have managed to place more agents in various Countries during the last month which helps with the Intelligence reports."​

mar1490000intfra.jpg

"French Industry has not altered during February but their research teams have been very busy. They completed four projects, most likely due to the presence of relevant blueprints. Armoured Cavalry Division, Super Heavy Advanced Aircraft Carrier, Semi-Modern Marine Division and Improved Light Carriers were their breakthroughs.

Their Army has grown by fifty seven Infantry and five Armoured divisions during February. This is almost certainly due to us inviting some more Countries to join the War. No change to their invisible Airforce or Navy."​

mar1490000intuk.jpg

"Base Industry remains unchanged for the British and they are having no more problems with resources it appears. They completed research into Advanced Hospital System and look likely to finish off Elite Infantry division in March.

They lost seven Infantry and one Armoured division in February and also lost a major ally in South Africa, which has been sending the British a lot of troops over the last few years.

No change to the Royal Airforce and only a couple of smaller ships added to the Royal Navy."​

mar1490000intus.jpg

"American Industry has dropped by one Factory complex. They completed research into Modern Anti-Air Artillery Brigade.

They have lost three Armoured and and nine Infantry divisions largely due to their failed operations in Finland. No noticable change to their Airforce.

Only one smaller ship was added to the United States Navy with no new Aircraft Carriers."​

mar1490000intjap.jpg

"We completed no research projects in February but should finish Carrier Group Doctrine in March. This will bring us up to the same state as our main Naval enemies but we will still be lacking in modern Carrier designs which will give the enemy the edge in Carrier battles. Nothing further." concluded Kuniaki.

"Armed Forces please."

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen." Tanigawa began. "The Pacific and Asia are pretty quiet and I would expect little in the way of any action in either theater during March. We continue to slowly bleed the Allies dry in Europe but there is still some way to go before we can advance to any great degree, particularly after the new declarations of War during the last month. Africa is going fairly well with very limited resistance and what there is is in the south. Over to Minister Satoru for more details." Tanigawa concluded.

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning. Thank you Minister Tanigawa. With no action in Asia or the Pacific of any concern I will begin with our Western Front today." began Satoru.​

mar1490000euro.jpg

"The entire front has become almost static as the Allies run out of superior numbers and grind to a halt. Only three provinces have changed hands in the last month and they were all captured by our forces. Two of these were in Finland where it looks as if we may have finally stopped the Americans from gaining any further ground."​

mar1490000fin.jpg

"Only one province remains in American hands and we will capture Vaasa in one hours time unless more enemy troops arrive. The division that takes it will then head back to Oulu to defend that province and conduct anti-partisan patrols. Our bombers are patrolling the Baltic Sea now and will hopefully prevent any further invasions."​

mar1490000euro1.jpg

"The Western Front is pretty much static. We have some chance of advancing a little in the south around Kiev but other than that both sides are too evenly matched in numbers to risk advancing in Winter. Our Armour in the north would risk being cut off if it advanced and will probably remain where it is. There have been no signs of more ground troops arriving from the newer Nations in the Allied camp but they are likely to be on the way. Our bombers will continue to hunt anything they can and will remain protected by Interceptors. The two Interceptor wings we sent to North Africa have returned and are currently re-organising in Minsk."​

mar1490000naf.jpg

"Africa is where most of the territory is changing hands as Operation Perfidious continues to grow in both nature and scope. We are making advances in North Africa with no enemy visible for now after our bombers cleared a path. Recent invasions along the Red Sea coast have gained us all ports and airbases in this area which has made our position considerably stronger.

Four divisions from Australia and the Indian Ocean have arrived recently in Djibouti and they will target Ethiopia. The entire coast was protected from invasion before we captured South Africa and this seems to have unbalanced the Allies as they moved all of their coastal defence divisions making our job a lot easier."​

mar1490000naf1.jpg

"A more detailed map of North Africa shows us advancing in all directions with division sized forces. Another four divisions will arrive in Port Said at various times in March to strengthen our forces and allow a more expansive advance."​

mar1490000maf1.jpg

"Further south our forces are moving towards Addis Ababa to try and conquer Ethiopia as well as around the borders of that Country to link up landing sites. Some coastal provinces were not possible to invade which is why we have to march. Distances are vast and I do not expect quick progress anywhere in Africa."​

mar1490000saf.jpg

"Most of our gains in February were in the south after we annexed South Africa. We will begin a general advance north immediately and try to gain as much territory as we can before the Allies can block us. The western coast of Africa has very few airbases and none of them are in the south which means no air cover for us as we advance."​

mar1490000saf1.jpg

"Slightly more detail shows us advancing in the west as we head to the South African border. Our western most force comprises three Motorised divisions with all other forces being single Infantry divisions for the time being. The Allies already have some troops in the east which will prevent us advancing at any speed. Two of our maritime patrol wings moved to Tokyo where they will support our Naval bombers in the northern Pacific. Over to Minister Osami for the Naval briefing." Satoru concluded.

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning. We have managed to avoid any losses during February for the first time in some months." began Osami.​

mar1490000sunk.jpg

"As you can see the losses are to many different Allied Countries with the Americans suffering the most. Fourteen more Transport Flotillas were sunk during February and I doubt very much if they are all being replaced. A significant number were sunk in the Baltic Sea which should hinder any more invasions in Finland. The lack of any more American Aircraft Carriers being produced will probably mean no sightings unless Admiral Calhoun returns. That concludes the Armed Forces briefing." Osami finished.

"Industry please."

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen." Ginjiro began. "Our resources remain in very good condition with no shortfalls likely for some time to come."​

mar1490000prod.jpg

"We added two more Factory complexes last month due to advances in Africa but our Transport Capacity remains heavily over stretched. All stockpiles are satisfactory with only Oil showing a shortfall but as I explained a few months ago it is net positive with our supply dump in Tangshan growing during February.

No new production has been started and we will raise another Garrison and it's Police brigade in March. Our Supply stockpile will continue to grow rapidly providing a nice cushion for both over supply of our troops and trade as required.

Reinforcements are minor and mostly for small aircraft repairs with only two Headquarters divisions needing to be upgraded. They will complete that process in March.

My only real concern is with our Merchant Navy which is beginning to struggle to support all of our forces spread around the World. More Convoy ships are being produced to try and cover the losses we have sustained recently. Our Manpower prohibits any large construction program with 10, 000 men being required for Garrison and Police brigades on a monthly basis. Nothing further." Ginjiro concluded.

"Any other reports?" asked Hideki.

"I have an update for you today." replied Hakujiro. "nothing major just a shift in Garrison policy to try and improve the partisan situation a little quicker."​

mar1490000part.jpg

"Australia is not perfectly Garrisoned yet but it does have adequate coverage and more gains can be made by placing newly recruited divisions elsewhere. The Soviet Union is the biggest contributor to our unrest so I shall begin to send forces into that vast Country to control the larger areas. The Transport Flotilla dedicated to moving Garrison forces has set off for Abadan to drop off two new divisions which will head deep into Russia as shown on this map. The two provinces indicated have the most bordering provinces and should provide the maximum benefit from a Garrison stationed in them. I will look for similar provinces to place future divisions in any high partisan areas. That is all." Hakujiro concluded.

"Thank you Gentlemen. Spring will soon be upon us and we need to make a lot of gains in the better weather to achieve our aims for the year. Keep up the good work and we may begin to see some light at the end of the tunnel as we try to bring peace to the World." stated the Emperor as he stood and left the meeting.​

Last edited:
"The Transport Flotilla dedicated to moving Garrison forces has set off for Abadan to drop off two new divisions which will head deep into Russia as shown on this map. The two provinces indicated have the most bordering provinces and should provide the maximum benefit from a Garrison stationed in them. I will look for similar provinces to place future divisions in any high partisan areas. That is all." Hakujiro concluded.
You actually gain the most by placing garrisons in IC-rich provinces. Partisans give a penalty to the IC in the province, which indirectly affects TC negatively in addition to the direct partisan factor.

So placing garrisons in Moscow should get you more TC than garrisons in Syktyvkar.

You actually gain the most by placing garrisons in IC-rich provinces. Partisans give a penalty to the IC in the province, which indirectly affects TC negatively in addition to the direct partisan factor.

So placing garrisons in Moscow should get you more TC than garrisons in Syktyvkar.

Are you sure of that?
Direct IC penalty is only given by dissent and not by revolt risk.

Nice update, as usual! I would think, for role-playing reasons if for no other, that the garrisons would go into the larger cities. You can always build militia to patrol the countryside.

So -- where do you think all the divisions holding the beaches in Africa went?

-- Beppo

Are you sure of that?
Direct IC penalty is only given by dissent and not by revolt risk.
I am sure. The IC penalty is hidden (i.e. not showing up on the tooltip) but it sure is there. Try summing up your IC when you have partisans, and you will see that when taking into account all visible factors, there is still something missing.

Here is a thread for reference: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336938

Say Moscow gives 12 base IC (IC after taking into account that it is non-national etc.) and 30 % partisans. The IC you get from Moscow will be 12 * 0.7 = 8.4. That is 3.6 IC and indirectly 5.4 TC lost due to partisans.

Partisans drain 0.12 TC per percent activity. A garrison with MP supresses 4 % in a neighboring province, which results in 4 * 0.12 = 0.48 TC.

Thus, moving the garrison to Moscow with two less neighboring provinces (Moscow only has 6) still results in a gain of 4.44 TC.

Last edited:
Africa is where most of the territory is changing hands as Operation Perfidious continues to grow in both nature and scope. We are making advances in North Africa with no enemy visible for now after our bombers cleared a path. Recent invasions along the Red Sea coast have gained us all ports and airbases in this area which has made our position considerably stronger.

I guess the bombers in Africa won't have much to do since there doesn't seem to be any enemy divisions around to attack.

"Thank you Gentlemen. Spring will soon be upon us and we need to make a lot of gains in the better weather to achieve our aims for the year. Keep up the good work and we may begin to see some light at the end of the tunnel as we try to bring peace to the World." stated the Emperor as he stood and left the meeting.

"Try to bring peace to the world"...sounds a bit WC to me.

I am sure. The IC penalty is hidden (i.e. not showing up on the tooltip) but it sure is there. Try summing up your IC when you have partisans, and you will see that when taking into account all visible factors, there is still something missing.

Here is a thread for reference: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336938

thanks man. even we`re on the edge of playing HOI3, we still learn new details about HOI2. On the one hand it made me feel so uncomfortable when i think on my ex-games putting Garrisons to the most bordering provinces. At least i usually garrison the capitals with high revolt risk not to loose all IC when they revolt.

Now, it is time to revise my game, there will be a lot of redeployments i guess :D

by the way, good update remble, as usual :)

An interesting overview. Even more interesting is the fact that North Africa seems to be void of any enemy troops. Have they been redeployed or just blown to bits?