• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is getting even more exciting than it already was...

I'm starting to doubt Hata's dedication to the Japanese cause. What became of glorious charges followed by glorious death for the Emperor? Withdrawing just doesn't seem to be the proper Japanese way of winning wars.

Thankfully all troops will soon be frozen stiff so then won't have any other option but to hold the line. :D

To paraphrase George S. Patton:

"No man has ever won a war by dying for his country. He wins the war by making the other guy die for his country."

nov29482100gr1.jpg

The Americans expanded their beach head on November 29th as they captured Turku. The Allies were demonstrating a clear willingness to launch invasions around the Japanese flanks after already landing in Odessa and now in Finland. Japanese planners would have to take this into account as they made decisions on future operations. The forces for the next operation had mustered in Ahmadabad and would set sail after a brief rest period. All Japanese reinforcements had arrived on the Western Front except for the Armour, which was due in the next two weeks.​

Wow, an Allied landing that might last longer than ten minutes.

Last edited:
As far as the invasions are concerned it looks as if the US thinks that what worked against Germany is bound to work against Japan as well, ... eventually. Currently however they seem to suffer one Dieppe after another.

Regarding Sun Tzu: He did know a thing or two about warfare but as far as I know he never in his whole life wrote an AAR. He surely wouldn't have gotten 600.066 views. Sucker. :D

At least your flyboys know how to keep us entertained. GO IJAF!!!

If the Americans don't get any air support, they're likely to lose two expensive mechanized divisions. Hmmm, maybe you should let them expand their operations in southern Finland for a bit. They might send some tanks or something.

Good job!

-- Beppo

Nice move by the Americans. They are actually putting a little effort into this one it seems.

OMFG I FINALLY CAUGHT UP!!!!! I started reading this in November of last year! Anyway this is a great AAR. Very entertaining.

I know the feeling. I think November is about when I started reading Creek, finished that and The Game (Emu's) and got caught up on Wielkopolska in the meantime. I'm hoping to see more from Rob soon, but Wielkopolska is presently hibernating.

Nice move by the Americans. They are actually putting a little effort into this one it seems.

With air support and reinforcing followup they could cause serious problems. A dozen MEC running around behind Remble's lines encircling and causing havoc. However, that'd be a few more miracles, and I think the AI is close to exhausting its supply of those.

This AAR is quickly becoming a Leviathan... Another awesome couple of updates Remble.

Your airplanes seem to take massive hits, especially with them flying fortresses!

Brilliant move by the AI again, I'm glad it still proves to be able to come up with interesting sollutions, and accidently actually overstretching your limited army.

I wonder when you'll do your South Africa invasion. It will be an interesting change in the war and reduce the ammount of planes you'll have to fight in europe (so win win :D)

@Remble (regarding Japanese use of subs)
It is one thing to use slightly older subs in 1944 and another to use the same lv 2 and 3 subs almost 5 years later (against nuclear carriers, and lv 7 cruisers).
And especially with such manpower constraints (IMO) IJN would switch to more efficient solutions (and build much more brand new ships :))
But of course I respect your choices in game.

I wonder when you'll do your South Africa invasion.

Yeah, many of us (including me) have been constantly predicting South Africa as the next target for what, like two years in game time? Maybe you'll leave it last to stand just because of that :p

OneArmed - Only a D-Day type of landing would really worry me much unless it was directed at Japan :)

Velko - I am glad I am still keeping you entertained :)

Middelkerke - The Allies are losing more aircraft but they do have a lot more as well. The only Int or Fighters I have seen are Austrian, Romanian or Greek, no sign of the main Allies.

gooy - True but who would think the Allies would land in Finland in Winter? :D

EnglandWarrior - The AI is doing a pretty good job at its choice of targets but it is still failing to massively reinforce the landings.

Nathan Madien - The landing will last a little while as my TACs are not quite as good at destroying enemy Armoured forces.

Sokraates - The IJAF seems to be in the thick of just about all of the action :)

Beppo - Thank you. Tempting as it is to allow the Americans to reinforce their landing and not molest them, that falls under being a little gamey so I will just kill them as fast as I can :)

MrCrispy109 - Thank you and welcome aboard :) It is beginning to be a little more than a short story :)

Thurak - Your welcome. The Allies are turning out to be slightly more dangerous than the Soviets as they can invade.

Maj. von Mauser - It is nice to know that they are not rolling over just yet.

dertechie - If the Americans are true to their normal builds then roughly half of their forces are garrisons so they won't have much outside of Poland I would think.

Krogzar, Velko - Thank you. My aircraft are suffering a little, but only really the INTs. The AI is just full of surprises. Where is South Africa again? :D

zdlugasz - In the real world they would almost certainly be scrapped. I am keeping them for some flavour more than anything :)

_tr - Unfortunately I cannot reach South America just yet :)

Monthly update to follow ...

Update (December 1st 1948)

0000 December 1st 1948.
Imperial Palace. Tokyo, Japan.

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen." Hideki began the monthly meeting. "Our remaining two objectives for 1948 remain unchanged with the requirement to reduce the Allies to below twenty Countries and to keep the United States Navy below sixteen Aircraft Carriers. The first of these we have no chance of completing and we will know on December 30th if we have managed to achieve the second. We will begin with the Intelligence report today please."

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning. I have had some success in placing agents overseas during November and have also begun to infiltrate Italy to ascertain their military strength. Canada and Brazil have small armies and fleets but my initial report on the Italians suggests approximately forty divisions." Kuniaki began.​

dec1480000intfra.jpg

"Beginning with the French we see no change in Industrial Capacity. I know for certain that they completed research into Advanced Anti-Air Artillery Brigades and it looks as if they completed another two unknown projects if we surmise that FAMH completed one and then started on the current project. The one additional agent I have in the Country at least allows me to know what they are researching even if I have to guess on the progress.

Their Army has shrunk by thirteen divisions which could be correct or it could just be the result of my agents reports being a little more accurate. No aircraft to speak of and a slight increase in small ships."​

dec1480000intuk.jpg

"The British Industrial base remains the same and they continue to receive enough raw materials to function at full capacity. They completed research into Modern Tank Destroyers. During December they will finish several projects, two of which are of great concern to the Imperial Japanese Airforce. Supersonic Interceptors and Fighters will give the Allies a definate edge in aerial combat once the new aircraft are deployed."

"We will worry more about that if Fighter Command ever decides to leave the United Kingdom." Jun said.

"Quite so. Both the British and Americans seem very reluctant to use their Fighter strength. Armed Forces wise there has been an increase of seven Infantry divisions and a loss of two Armoured. We know the Armour was destroyed in North Africa.

No change to the Royal Air Force and an increase of one smaller ship."​

dec1480000intus.jpg

"American Industry has increased by eight Factory complexes due to their gains in Poland. They completed research into an Advanced Hospital System.

Infantry numbrs decreased by three divisions and Armour by two. These losses were in Finland and possibly due to some Transport ships being sunk in the Indian Ocean or losses in Poland.

Aircraft numbers remain fairly consistant even though we shot down several bomber squadrons in November.

The United States Navy has managed to launch two more Aircraft Carriers bringing the total up to sixteen. The entire year has seen the numbers move between twelve and eighteen but hardly ever move outside those parameters. I would expect another visit or two from the Carrier Task Forces in December. Three smaller ships were also added."​

dec1480000intjap.jpg

"We completed no research projects in November and probably won't in December either. Our research into an Improved Turbojet Interceptor will offset the British advance a little but they will still have superiority. Once research is completed into a new Light Carrier variant we can begin construction. Nothing more from me today." concluded Kuniaki.

"Diplomacy please."

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen." Mamoru began. "I have an update on our puppets progress for you today."​

dec1480000manch.jpg

"All three have the same Industrial Capacity and are able to fully utilise it as we continue to supply the Siamese with Energy as they require it. Their research is rather mundane but neverless needed and they should move onto more useful projects in the future. All three continue to provide at least one Infantry division every two months with some adding one a month. Nothing further." Mamoru concluded.

"Armed Forces please."

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning." began Tanigawa. "November has been a very busy month as most of our redeployments finished which has allowed us to move into the build up phase for our next operation. In the West we continue to withdraw in order across the entire Front whilst inflicting heavy losses to the advancing Allies with our aircraft. This process is likely to continue for at least another month before I would expect the line to stabilise somewhat as the Allies struggle to keep their forces together at the Front due to the weather conditions. The Americans have invaded again, this time in Finland. We are presently setting about the task of reducing this landing which has not been heavily reinforced to date.

We secured Reunion Island in the southern Indian Ocean which gives us control of all island ports and airbases in the region. The Allies still possess several options along the East African coast however. We conducted some minor reconnaisance of this coastline and all possible landing sights are guarded by a minimum of one division. All defensive forces that we have seen originate from South Africa. Over to Minister Satoru for more details."

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen. Thank you Minister Tanigawa. I will begin with Asia this month." Satoru began.​

dec1480000asia.jpg

"There is only one change. We captured Yakutsk which was the final Strategic objective in the Soviet Union. There are no plans to advance anywhere else and we shall merely hold what we have. There are no new Soviet forces."​

dec1480000west.jpg

"The West has been much more active. We captured Murmansk in the north but lost two Finnish provinces to the recent American invasion. In the center and south we have not gained any territory and have lost some across the entire Front. Our withdraw is fairly slow and has not been threatened much by encirclement so far."​

dec1480000fin.jpg

"A more detailed look at Finland shows the two American controlled provinces, including the capital of Helsinki. We have very few ground troops to repel such an invading force and are relying on our Tactical bombers to destroy the enemy forces. We should have little trouble unless further enemy troops arrive."​

dec1480000western.jpg

"Poland and western Russia are a little more intense. With two three division corps recently arrived in Minsk we should see our northern flank solidify once they complete their march towards Jelgeva. We have at least two divisions covering all provinces so far with our Armour still redeploying to the north. The enemy has a very large force in the north but appears weak in the south, although some overflights have noted the movement of many divisions to cover this area. Only a fraction of the known Allied ground strength is shown on this map and we can expect numbers to increase for a while before our bombers can begin to make some holes in the line.

Our current philosophy is to try and keep the number on the Romanian border to a minimum to force the enemy to move additional troops south to cover that area and we have no intention of advancing. All of our own forces should be in position by the end of December and we may begin some limited counter attacks if possible in January.

The Imperial Japanese Airforce remains very busy with all of bombers active and our Interceptors resuming their roll of air superiority after a two week rest period. Losses to these aircraft have increased but we have managed to control most of our air space and have shot down a number of enemy bomber squadrons mostly from Central American Countries. There have been no signs of either British or American Fighter support which is good for us. The air situation is likely to deteriorate rather rapdily if they do show up.

The blue line is our chosen maximum withdraw line which we would wish to hold. So far we are further west of this line in all areas except the south and we can expect to lose some more ground. Ground combat is likely to increase as the Allies near this line as we try and reverse the elastic defence policy towards one of counter attack."​

dec1480000naf.jpg

"We have lost a little territory in North Africa and the British are reinforcing the area constantly which is keeping their numbers high enough to force us to withdraw on occasion. Our bombers are the only force keeping us in the region and they continue to keep the Allies at bay for the most part. There are no enemy Fighters operating in this region but there are some Strategic bombers targetting Iraqi industry and resources. We have no Interceptors to halt such attacks as they were moved to the Western Front."​

dec1480000sind.jpg

"The Imperial Japanese Navy has managed to halt Allied invasions in the southern Indian Ocean and we have a stable position now. Our two main Battlefleets are shown. Four Tactical bombers wings are also operating in this area to provide advanced notice of approaching enemy shipping. Madagascar will be the launch point for future operations in this region. Over to Minister Osami for a Naval briefing." concluded Satoru.

"Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen." Osami began. "Regretably we suffered severe losses to our Submarine forces in November as the Americans launched a successful port strike against Attu Island in the northern Pacific."​

dec1480000sunk.jpg

"In all we lost seven of our Submarine Flotillas while causing light damage to Allied shipping. Allied losses were to anti-Submarine forces and Transport Flotillas which could have contained troops. One American Carrier Task Force is operating in the northern Pacific and we have had little luck in causing it much damage so far even though our Naval bombers continue to try and hunt it down.

Our main Transport fleet and both Carrier Groups will be leaving Ahmadabad shortly and will transit to Madagascar before beginning to conduct amphibious operations along the African Coast. I cannot provide more details on their more exact targets at this time as it is classified but you will be informed as operations progress. Nothing further."

"Industry please."

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen, good morning. Production remains unchanged with a further Garrison division and it's Police brigade being deployed during November." Ginjiro began.​

dec1480000prod.jpg

"I have brought along some additional information this month to try and better explain some aspects of our resource flow which I will cover later. Despite the loss of territory in Poland our Industrial Capacity remains the same. Transport Capacity overload has dropped considerably as our redeployments have mostly completed but it remains much higher than I would like."​

dec1480000tc.jpg

"A detailed breakdown clearly shows why it is so high. If we could remove the partisan problem then we would have ample Transport Capacity to provide all of our forces with 100% supply but this is unlikely to happen anytime soon, although the increased Garrison force is at least managing to stabilise it somewhat. The loss of territory to the Allies is also helping the situation. The only way to improve the situation dramatically would be to appoint a more industrial Minister instead of Minister Hakujiro. I would recommend not doing so as Manpower remains our chief constraint."

"Minister Hakujiro is not going anywhere." stated the Emperor.

"It is so nice to be appreciated." Hakujiro responded.

"Moving on to our resources. Our stockpiles remain in very good condition by and large with a negative flow in Energy which is slowly improving as we repair the Soviet resources. Metal and Rare Materials are increasing slowly and we do receive regular shipments from our Siamese puppet. Oil and Supplies are decreasing much quicker than would seem appropriate, however the numbers are a little deceiving, which is why I have brought along some additional information."​

dec1480000drf.jpg

"Our daily resource flow for Metal, Energy, Rare Materials and Money is consistant with the main industrial picture and are accurate. You will notice that both Oil and Supply flow into Japan are actually increasing. Where does the deficit come from you might ask."

"I am sure you are going to let us in on the secret Minister Ginjiro." stated Hirohito.

"Of course your Majesty, as it is not really any secret."​

dec1480000drf1.jpg

"The reason is simple enough. We are merely shipping out more than we are shipping in. The two stockpiles shown are in Asia. The smaller stockpile in Wonsan supplies our forces north of Korea around Vladivostok, and the much larger one in Tangshan supplies all of our forces anywhere else on the mainland of Asia, Europe, India and the Middle East. We do not move any Oil or Supply resources back from these depots and Tangshan receives Oil from our captured Oilfields on the mainland. We know how much Oil and Supplies our forces need so we ship that on a daily basis but this does not take into account any resources to the stockpiles from land. Consequently Tangshan has managed to build up a truly massive Oil reserve and we can easily ship that back to Japan to balance the situation whenever we wish.

Taking this into consideration we are actually increasing all resources across the board. Our cash reserves have dropped due to an increase in Minister Kuniaki's espionage activities and our Manpower reserves are holding very stable so far with a small increase during November.

Current production is unchanged with an increasing amount of our Industrial Capacity being moved to Supply production as upgrades complete. Replacements are mostly for aircraft and not manpower intensive. The majority of our Infantry forces are upgraded as are our Tanks. Our bombers are between 35% and 45% complete and may need until nearly the end of January to finish their upgrades. Done for today." Ginjiro conlcuded.

"Thank you Gentlemen. Winter will be another time to show our spirit and to halt another enemy juggernaut in it's tracks. The Allies are not the only ones capable of surprising invasions and we shall demonstrate how to be more successful at it. Keep up the good work." Hirohito stated as he stood and left the meeting.​