• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Waltheof was lucky despite the loss of the battle. Harold's a good warrior but the battle was lost this time. Long-term this still favours the Saxons, however. Normandy can ill afford the heavy losses it will receive compared to England's reinforcement capability.

William sacrificed the war to win a battle. Even though he had almost his entire force in his center, I only lost 500 more men than he did. As for Harold, he is a good leader of men (though many Saxons are better than him) but a bad king. Shortly we will see what Harold will do to win a war.

The Rose, the Dagger, and the Axe Part I.​

When the Witenagemot chose a successor to Edward the Confessor, they chose the man who would lead them through the current crisis (see Chapter 8). Harold was the man who had a strong claim and had the strength to defeat the various armies on their way. The Witenagemot should have met again to reassess later. Harold’s first sign of being an unfit peacetime ruler was when he barrowed a large sum of money from his Earls and Thegns in order to deliver a swift victory against William. As William sacrificed the war to win a battle, Harold seemed willing to sacrifice the kingdom to win a war.
-Dr. Steve Haroldson, A Brief History of England Chapter 9: The Ill Ruler

Harold looked down at his vassals, “The Realm thanks you for your contribution; I thank you for your contribution. The esteemed Waltheof, Thegn of Northampton, showed me a valuable asset during the Battle of St. Paul’s and again at Woking. Mercenaries. Mercenaries will bolster our numbers and instead of valiant Saxons dying these foreigners will die for us. We will throw them at the Bastard and bleed him. He won’t have a chance to recover from Woking before we are on him again.”
To Waltheof’s surprise and dismay the room filled with cheers as he sunk back into his chair as much as he could. Harold was going too far, he would ruin England in order to legitimize his spot. Worst of all he had attached Waltheof’s name to his horrible plan to give it credence among the assembled lords. ‘He will ruin the realm like this. The Swiss had to be let go, they cost too much and too man of them were dead. What he needs to do is send the levies home and then raise them again. We should get a few thousand more than we have now and the peasants will be happy to be able to go home.’

As soon as he could, Waltheof slipped away and started slowly walking some of the back halls of the palace. They were very dark, even the torchlight seemed to be darker than normal. He jumped as a hand touched his shoulder, spinning around the face of Morcar, Earl of Northumbria, peered at him. “A thousand pardons, will you please join me on the battlements?” Nodding, the two of them walked swiftly out into the clear night air seeing the land bathed in moonlight. “Thank you for this meeting Waltheof. I am not sure if you know this but you are considered the most powerful of the Thengs. You are the marshal of our forces and the sharpest mind for military matters in all of England, which is why I ask you here, tonight, how bad is it?”

Waltheof studied the farmland beyond the walls for a minute before he answered. Morcar had given him a lot of new information. “Well, both wars are won. We can easily replace our numbers while William can’t. Most of William’s men were and still are fortune seekers who looked to get rich very quickly off of our lands. At best he could maybe raise two thousand men from Normandy. Of the seven thousand that have been left on the fields of battle, how many came from his vassals? Even if none of his men were killed that is only 2/3rds of his current force. As for Harold Siguardsson, he left the Norwegian throne in a very tenuous place. He will have to return soon to reconsolidate his power; I wouldn’t be surprised if several nobles rose up against his rule at any time, among them his son. Though he would still have Tostig on his side to lead a small army of Norse against us, but I have no doubts that our army will crush any such pittance of a force. I am sure the Viking knows that as well. Mark my words as soon as Harold Siguardsson leaves England he will be giving up any real claim to the Saxon throne.”

Morcar nodded, keeping his face completely blank. “And these mercenaries?”

“Not the way I would do it at all. At the risk of alienating the Earls, Thengs, and lesser nobility, Harold moved for the quick shot. Adding three thousand men to our force and letting everyone recover from Woking has a good shot at victory. On the other hand he could send the levies home, raise new levies, gather them here and have complete victory in a few months.”

“Thank you, Waltheof. It has been most enlightening.” Morcar smiled and with a swirl of his cloak silently walked off. Waltheof watched him leave before pulling his cloak tighter around himself and went back to looking at the farmland wishing this would all end and he could go back to his gardens in Northampton. He had started to doze when, a few hours after his enigmatic talk, an alarm started being raised from the royal apartments. Waltheof started rushing toward the apartments as fast as he could, when he finally got there he cought his breath for a second before approaching a guard. “What happened here?”
“M’lord, a member of the royal house has been murdered.”

Waltheof doesn't seem impressed with Harold's plan. Although it will save saxon lives, it will cost a lot more money and rob the noble vassals of a victory. Mercenaries are also unreliable and not as trustworthy as levied men, as they're only loyal to money with the rare exceptions...

The Rose, the Dagger, and the Axe Part II.​

There must have been an air of almost invincibility among the Saxon nobility through the invasions up until the royal assassination. None of the nobility had been seriously wounded or captured and even the defeat at Woking seemed to be at worst a set back. One assassin’s dagger changed all that. When the name Godwinson stopped being a shield of invulnerability, it must have hit home that even Harold was mortal.
-Dr. Steve Haroldson, A Brief History of England Chapter 8: The Invasions

While Haroldson’s work remains one of the most complete works about early English history, the word brief in the title notwithstanding, it suffers in one critical way. He applies too much human emotion to the story. This is not intrinsically wrong and in several cases his guesswork is probably more or less spot on, however at the end of the day it remains just that, guesswork. This is very apparent when he talks about warfare in Saxon England and when he talks about the House of Watters.
-Dr. Linda Hwicce, excerpt from her review of Dr. Steve Haroldson’s book “A Brief History of England”

All of the wind that had left Waltheof’s chest when he heard the news had rushed back a second later when Harold burst out of the door in a night gown swinging his sword looking for something to kill. Another succession crisis was the last thing England needed at this moment. “Who died, my liege?”
Harold’s mad eyes landed on Waltheof for a second, his sword coming up to point at his chest clearly about to shout for Waltheof’s arrest until he saw the tightly wrapped cloak and the bright red cheeks. “My brother. My brother, Leofwine was murdered. An assassin slipped a poisoned dagger into his chest in his sleep. The man was caught and stabbed with his own dagger. After the promise of a quick death he said he was hired by my brother Gyrth. Tostig tries to take my throne and then another brother tries to kill the last of my brothers. Is this the legacy of my father and brother-in-law?”
Without a word Waltheof changed his expression into something that condemned the actions of the murderous brothers but gave sympathy to the King’s plight. ‘It makes sense. Gyrth is Leofwine’s heir and the two are second and third in line for the throne behind young Godwin.’ Waltheof mused to himself. “I will take a detachment of guards and arrest your brother for you, my liege. The King’s Justice will be carried out.”

His march through the main hallway of the royal apartments was purposeful. Waltheof’s cloak had been replaced with his marshal’s cape, and other rainments of his office. With four guards he did not think Gyrth would give him much trouble at all. Forcefully he knocked on the door. After a bit of rustling Gyrth finally roused himself and came to the door looking very tired and confused. “Gyrth, by order of the king you are to come with me. You are under arrest for the murder of a member of the royal house.”
“Wha-what? What are you talking about? Murder? Leofwine?”
“I don’t have time for this. Come with me and try to sort it out with someone who can change your position and cares.” Waltheof motioned to the guards to take Gyrth and drag him away. It was sort of pathetic in a way really when one thought about it. This man is feigning ignorance at something he very clearly did.

The sun was bright as the court gathered in the courtyard of the palace. Gyrth stood in shackles as Harold started to rattle off the charges. “Gyrth Godwinson, Earl of Norfolk, Thegn of Suffolk, Norfolk, and Essex, you have been charged with fratricide, murder of a member of the royal house, and with treason to the throne. Each charge carries the penalty of death. Do you have any last words?”
Gyrth’s head raised and he did what he could to look proud and regal though he was in chains and his nightwear, “You are making a mistake brother. Only you and Tostig have anything to gain from my death and the death of Leofwine.” Such a bold statement could not go unanswered of course. Waltheof watched as Gyrth was pushed onto the headsman’s block; the man was a professional with a sharp axe, it only took three strikes to sever Gyrth’s head from his body.

“Bonjourno, siamo la Società Della Rose. As you would say we are the Company of the Rose. I am Chiaffredo di Padua, Comandante Della Rose.” The man said with a deep bow. “We are here at your king’s summons. We have a Bastard to kill do we not?”
“Yes, that is about it. I am Waltheof of Northampton, and commander of the army.” Waltheof replied in Latin, proving both that he was not an uneducated savage and to stop the man from continuing to try unsuccessfully to speak English. “Your men will make up about two thirds of the force and will be most of the center which will be directly commanded by me as well as me being the overall commander. Are those terms agreeable?”
“Yes, commander. They are quite agreeable.” di Padua replied with a smile.

The Italians had hardly gotten settled when a small group of soldiers came from the north flying the flag of the Earldom of Norfolk. Harold met them at the gates. “Tostig. What are you doing here, why should I not kill you, and why are you flying that flag?”
Tostig was a small man with a famous sly grin that he now used, “My dear brother and liege, I am here only to have you confirm what is mine. When Leofwine died, Gyrth became Thegn of Kent. When Gyrth died, I inherited all our good brother’s possessions.”

Silly Tostig. Harold ain't gonna let that fly easy.

Just letting my readers know this is not dead. It is on a temporary break. Emerald City Comicon, a new term at uni, a weekly Vampires roleplay on Wednesdays, and a bad case of writers block are all conspiring against the House of Watters right now.

No problems, take your time.

Just caught up. Hope you do come back and update more, it's very interesting thus far (despite the fact that it doesn't have any screenshots, which I usually demand for an AAR to pique my interest!). As a mechanical, game question, how are you currently playing this in-game? Are you playing as Waltheof, or as Harold, or some combination?

I am glad to hear that. Its always great to have new readers. I don't generally use pictures of any kind in my AARs because I don't have the graphical talents a lot of other writers here have. I am playing almost exclusively as Waltheof, I did play Harold for most of the war that I am writing about right now, I believe at this point I was Harold, the justification of that being Waltheof is the Marshal and the leader of the English forces. By 1068 I am back to playing as Waltheof and up until the point I am at in the game (1079) I haven't left playing as Waltheof.

By the way I am partially through the next update. I have the starting historical bit done and am writing a challenging scene. I am trying to push more detail into my posts and expanding the scenes.