The reformation should also create Antitrinitarian religion(s)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A lot of blood and treasure went into eliminating Paganism in Europe. Failing to stamp it out (and as such the failure of Catholic Holy Orders like the Teutons and the Livonians) would be a big mark against the might and unity of Christianity. Same goes for Grenada, the Catholics are supposed to control Iberia. If they don't, and can't dislodge that last Muslim state (either due to the North Africans supporting Grenada successfully, or the Iberian Christians collapsing to infighting, or other circumstances), then that's a very achievable goal failed. If God wills it, and it doesn't happen, either whoever said God wills it was wrong, or God is not as powerful as you thought.
Why? Its an ephemeral and submissive state. What issues were caused irl by granada surviving in your view? The anti jewish and anti converso riots would still have happened either way

• 14Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
If Husites and then Luther are crushed early and decisively, it should at least be postponed a few hundred years...
I feel like this is a bit too “great man of history” of a take for the Protestant reformation.

Don’t get me wrong, specific people did have an immense impact on the route the Protestant reformation took. Luther was an important historical figure in this regard. But there were a lot of people who wanted to see reform of some sort in the church.

If not Luther, someone.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If Husites and then Luther are crushed early and decisively, it should at least be postponed a few hundred years...

The Western Schism started when Jan Hus was 8 years old, and over a hundred years Luther was even born. So no, crushing them would have no impact whatsoever on the fact that there were rival popes in the late 14th century.

• 13Like
Reactions:
I feel like this is a bit too “great man of history” of a take for the Protestant reformation.

Don’t get me wrong, specific people did have an immense impact on the route the Protestant reformation took. Luther was an important historical figure in this regard. But there were a lot of people who wanted to see reform of some sort in the church.

If not Luther, someone.

The issue is not Luther per se, but how quickly and strongly his rebellion would be suppressed.

The Western Schism started when Jan Hus was 8 years old, and over a hundred years Luther was even born. So no, crushing them would have no impact whatsoever on the fact that there were rival popes in the late 14th century.

Sorry, my bad - I translated the term to the wrong event. I'm baking the mazurkas for Easter and this takes most of my attention...

Last edited:
Why? Its an ephemeral and submissive state. What issues were caused irl by granada surviving in your view? The anti jewish and anti converso riots would still have happened either way

On it's own, in the state it's in in 1444, no. But, let's take a worst case scenario for Catholicism in an alternate 1444.

> The Western Schism has not ended, and French and Italian popes are each trying to establish dominance
> The Saint George's Night Uprising succeeds, and Estonia/Livonia falls to the Pagans
> Lithuania refuses to convert
> Through Luck, Alliances, and infighting in Iberia Grenada has managed to regain some land
> Too busy infighting thanks to the Schism the first major bits of the Reformation are taking root with Huss.

Any one of those things would not be the end of the world for Catholicism, but now, in this alternate 1444 instead of Christendom controlling lands from the Atlantic to the Urals, from the Balkans to the Arctic Circle and most of that being Catholic; the Christians have lost ground they gained in both Iberia and the Baltic. There is a solid wall of Pagans and Muslims separating Catholicism and Orthodoxy. No one knows who actually controls the Catholic Church, and in Bohemia there is a new form of Christianity gaining hold. Catholicism has lost on all sides, will it snap in such a scenario?

• 3Like
Reactions: