• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will that include the 1861 war update?

The Election update will include December 1860-January 20th 1861. The update for the next president will deal with the end of the war, and then I'll move to the normal update schedule with the rest of the winner's term.

Komisha's count is right by my papers. I'll start writing up a primary update now. :)

I haven't seen an official announcement by Walsh, so I'm a bit confused about his stance.
There's this post, so tiny and jammed between other things that it's hard to find. There's some platform policy here.

Oh God. Somebody, help me. For future reference. It would be greatly appreciated if, upon announcing candidacies you reconfirmed your dates of birth, because it's a pain the rear to go through posts upon posts to find them.

General Message To The Civilians Fleeing To Cuba

The Navy of the United States of America wishes to inform the civilians and military personnel fleeing to the Spanish colony of Cuba that any who surrender to the military of the United states will be pardoned their crimes of High Treason. As long as they did not serve in the Rebellion's so called "Government." This is our final offer, while we do not intend to fire on your ships note that once you leave port you are banned from returning to the continental United States on pain of death, in addition remember Cuba is not out of America's reach.

Rear Admiral Alexander J. Fuller, United States Navy.​

Good evening, my name is Col. (National Guard reserve rank) Terrence Sanders, the gentleman Senator from West Virginia.

I would like to offer myself up as the third and final candidate for the Republican nomination. I believe in the Republican hard line on Reconstruction, yet believe it can be reconciled with our liberties and constitutional values better. So I offer up my Restoration Plan as a middle ground between the Republicans and the New Democrats, a plan I am confident will restore amity in our nation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Reconstruction, or as I like to call it, the Restoration -

The last Confederate military holdout in Fort Sumter will be captured by the U.S. army

The Confederate national government will be charged by the government in civilian federal court with the crimes of incitement to murder and conspiracy to commit murder

The Confederate refugee fleet will be disabled and boarded in order to rescue the civilian men, women, and children being held hostage by Confederate militants

No one else in the Confederate military, state governments, or populace will be charged with any crime not related to their specific actions (that is, being a former Confederate will not itself be enough to bring those not in the national government to trial)

No oaths will be required to be sworn of ordinary citizenry, secessionist or Southern national organizations will not be banned from exercising their free speech and right to organize

However to execute offices of the United States, state, or local governments oaths are already required and will be considered binding once sworn (if you get into office and then promote separatist policies, we'll throw the book of political corruption and neglection of duty charges at you)

Also, a new federal police force - the Marshalls - following all of existing police procedures and constitutional protections (no search or seizure without warrants, etc.) will be established for the purposes of dealing with the federal crimes of attacks on government offices and institutions, interstate conspiracy, and the like. Rather than have the South alone be occupied by the army, the nation as a whole should be policed by an orderly and respectable federal crimes division.

To prevent another regional government like the Department of the South, and to prevent states from gaining too much autonomy, a federally mandated but decentralized Department of Restoration (answers to the federal government, but initiative will go to the branch offices) will handle rebuilding and rezoning, including land grants for freemen and Indians, all across the nation - not just in the South. The Department of Citizenship's relevant duties will be given to the Dep of Restoration, and with its remaining mandate over immigration, the DoC will be renamed the Department of Immigration.

The centralized Veterans Administration will handle pensions, and incorporate all existing military hospitals. Not needing the flexibility of the land grants office of the Department of Restoration, and requiring more accountability, the VA will also be responsible for the freeman relief funds.

Lynching, vigilantism, incitement to riot, incitement to murder, incitement to attack federal property and employees, conspiracy to deprive men - regardless of their color - of their rights, and crimes meant to incite terror against a specific population will be classified under a new federal law as a federal crime - the crime of Terrorism.

Federal laws against secession and discrimination will be pursued. I am confident that this new approach is better than depriving ex-Confederates of the opportunity to run for office, or banning certain parties, or otherwise attemping draconian measures before a crime is attempted. This way no state will be able to pass Confederate style laws, rather than us purusing the policies of attacking former Confederates when they aren't guilty of anything.

Other Policies -
I strongly believe that we should take a moderate approach with the economy and begin expansion of the United States into the Caribbean - starting with the absorbtion and assimilation as quickly as possible of Cuba.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, I am confident that the goals of the Republican Party can be best achieved with strong laws and law enforcement, rather than with emotional or reckless actions. And like our party as a whole, I am an expansionist.

The Primary of 1860

Republican Candidate(s):

Jeremiah Williams (b. 1816), Incumbent President of the Republic ((atomicsoda)). President Williams has led the nation through the bloodiest war in its entire history. He advocates the more extreme form of reconstruction, and an expansion of the governmental welfare his predecessor, Cameron, initiated.

Benjamin Bachmann (b. 1825), Senator for New York ((zagoroth)). One of the three barely eligible candidates of the race, Bachmann is relying on his youth and strong views on expansion and reconstruction.

Terrence Sanders (b. 1810), Senator for West Virginia ((Rogov)). Sanders has the most fleshed out policy on reconstruction, which he has named Restoration. It is slightly more lenient than other Republicans. His most controversial view perhaps is his view that the United States should invade and assimilate Cuba.

New Democratic Candidate(s):

Thomas Howard (b. 1825), Senator for Massachusetts ((Spitfire5793)). Another just over the age limit candidate. He supports a mild form of reconstruction, which would see former Confederate officials banned from politics. His strongest views are on domestic policy, which promise industrial expansion and a crackdown on discrimination.

Michael Jamous
(b. 1818), Senator for Virginia ((King5000)). As the senator of a yet-to-be-reintegrated state, Jamous has spent much of his time since gaining the post readying Virginia for acceptance back into the Union, and establishing ties with the New Democrats. He runs on a policy of leniency toward the South, possibly the most lenient of any candidates.

Eldud Walsh (b. 1801), former President of the Republic ((welshdude)). The former president seeks reelection to office with his experience, and the belief that if his policy of state capitalism will work anywhere, it will be in the reconstruction of the South.

Libertarian Candidate(s):

Eamon Callahan (b. 1825), Colonel in the US Armed Forces ((komisha)).
A young man, Callahan is running on a platform of interventionist economic policy, maintaining a large standing army without cultural discrimination, expanding the transport fleet, radical reconstruction, and prosecution of all Confederate politicians for treason, as well as forced extradition from foreign territory if necessary.

Eric Vandrove (b. 1814), formerly Colonel in the US Armed Forces ((Red Cesar)). The veteran of Staunton who led the famous Freedom battalion seeks to be nomination on a policy of intervention in the South and fining of treasonous individuals for the large sum of $500.

-------------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

Here are your candidates. Vote for who should run for which party.

Last edited:
((Not Sure if I can vote in this Primary))

Michael Jamous

((Not Sure if I can vote in this Primary))

You have no character apart from Public Enemy #1, but I think the rules read that you don't need to have a character to vote.

Of course, it's kind of suspect if the most fervent Southerner here votes for the most lenient policy. Might think you're just trying to get your side off the hook. :D

Michael Jamous of the New Democrats

((vote changed))
Nicholas Gafferty retires from political life and dies in 1862 at the age of 68.

New Caracter is Major Andrew Gafferty born 1829. He played a minor role in the army of the potomac as second in command of a regiment.
cham1.gif

Last edited:
A speech given in the New Democratic Caucus, voicing his support for Michael Jamous.

Gentlemen, it is a privilege to speak to you.

I fully believe that America is the light of liberty to this world. It is our example that shows the tired monarchies of Europe and the aging fiefdoms in the darkness of Africa and the Orient that a government placed for the expansion and protection of liberty and human rights is one that leads to good governance, and that good governance leads then to peace, prosperity, and dignity.

To this end we have struggled, faltered, but ultimately we have succeeded. We have fought several terrible wars against those who would tell us that some men cannot be our brothers, that there are people who simply cannot have our liberty and our rights. We have proven them wrong.

They have proven us right. England, once our oppressor, is now our noble ally and they have discovered for themselves that liberty and the common man are firm foundations for their own government to build and grow from. Mexico, once in the tyranny of Santa Anna, has declared constitutional law and the rights of man. We did this not by conquest and the sword, as Napoleon or Augustus tried to propel their government ideals with, but by our strong example after the fighting was over.

Why then should we turn from this path? "Neither do men light a candle and hide it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light unto all that are in the house."

We should not hide, we should not remove our light of liberty, law, and fair treatment from the South. For indeed, the world is watching us. Let us give criminal trials to see which among the rebels are guilty of these unlawful and terrible acts and which are simply victims themselves of the floods of rebellion.

As for the people and communities of the South, did we not fight against traitors who said they were not a part of our Union? Was it not our cause to reassert that the South is our land and our brother? Well then, these lands of ours have been sorely damaged by the rebellion and strife, and we must provide relief. Richmond must be rebuilt - towns, railroads, forts, telegraphs all throughout the land must be refitted. We must bring Relief to the South, as we bring to any disaster.

There is much to do in the South. Let us ease the transition by providing education and economic aide to bring about the transition from slavery to fair labor - let us open back the factories of the states and support building projects to build back the economy that the rebellion destroyed. There are many people in the South and much land. All we must do is provide the support for these people to begin their lives and work again.

And what of the West? Let us also move freely within our borders to this prime land. We can open land to settlement by those who will readily build farms, cities, and factories. Freed slaves, Southerners, immigrants and all who are displaced may take this as a way to find their new roots. Those who are established already may find it as a chance to expand and thrive. Let us keep a solid military force to provide order there, and continue the building of a modern navy which may protect us here.

We must facilitate closer physical connections to this open land, as we have closer cultural connections to our brethren there. Rail lines must be improved, development must be spread, and our navy must be operable from both seas. I have heard rumor even of building a bridge of water to unite the oceans. Perhaps this is absurd, but perhaps not. We should encourage all development in these regards.

In the foreign realm, we must bring about closer relationships with other nations in our hemisphere who wish to embrace democratic and free governance. The continued threat of the traitorous rebels in Cuba, along with the failures of the local government there in provide fair treatment, must be brought up to Spain's attention and to the attention of the world.

This is how we may continue to shine this light of liberty to a darkened world.

- Ignacio Vallejo

It is strange a man who was calling for surrender to the rebels, Mr. Walsh, who was a disaster is his own term, is calling me vile names. You should be ashamed of yourself. Now you are running for President of the nation to continue your appeasement policies and apologize to the southern Slaveocrats. I wonder if you want to re-enslave the black population as well.

President Williams
((AKA the Great Emancipator))

Vote for a Powerful America
Vote for Industrial resurgence
Vote for Equality
Vote for Military power
Vote for a Strong leader
Vote for Thomas Howard