• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is wonderful news. I will play with it when it comes out. One question is still there. Do the events have pictures? I'm really fond of those. And a lot of events did not have them in Victoria. Same with For the Glory. In For the Glory it was quite easy to add pictures, but I don't know how easy it is in Victoria.

That is wonderful news. I will play with it when it comes out.
Don't wait for my next update! Although the date is near it's not set. And: You can always start a new game... ;)
Do the events have pictures? I'm really fond of those. And a lot of events did not have them in Victoria. Same with For the Glory. In For the Glory it was quite easy to add pictures, but I don't know how easy it is in Victoria.
Looking at the VIP:R 0.4 release there are an additional 304 pictures available to be used by events. I can't tell you if all of these are actually used, but they do add some variety.

Nonetheless, keep in mind that the number of events has been greatly expanded, so that might be just a drop in the ocean... Counting quickly, there are a total of 17095 events and inventions, of which 3063 have their "own" picture. Well, there are a huge amount of duplicates, as you can imagine.

Adding event pictures to Europa Engine games is quite easy, since it only requires adding one line to an event.
Examples:
picture = default
picture = texas
picture = slavery
picture = 33400
picture = ship_construction

Update

Although hampered by lack of time, I've polished the revised files and texts over the last month. Though there still need to be done some handsoff games, the next upload is not far away.

File re-uploaded

Files uploaded on filefactory are deleted if there are no downloads for 3(?) weeks. Happens for my other mods regularly. For VIP:R this is a first IIRC. Players seem to be eagerly awaiting Victoria 3. ;)

The next upload should be ready next weekend...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just a few minutes ago I fixed a nasty typo which prohibited the text of a certain event, actually the text in the next line, to be shown at all. A simple ; that was accidentally deleted earlier cost me a few hours, so that I won't upload the new Hotfix today. Please be patient, I'll do another round of playtests tomorrow and will probably upload the new Hotfix on Tuesday.

New version of my non-official Hotfix for VIP:R 0.4 is now ready for download

Extracting text snippets from the event files of the main VIP event directory has come to an end since these files are finally done (272 of 432; its 3 sub-directories are still to be done). Translating and cross-checking is also done. The translated text from these files adds up to another 2253 lines of text, so that the event_text.csv file has now 19,011 lines of text.

Several untranslated texts, which had been missed earlier by Google Translate or DeepL, have finally been translated.

To slightly reduce the overall size of the file I've deleted duplicated texts. This is almost done resulting in the removal of up to 700 lines of text. File size is now 13,218k. For comparison, VIP:R 0.4 originally had only 3,193k.

What you'll discover at first glance is the improved start screen, to which I've added the recommendations of OHgamer re: game speed and difficulty, and also saving/reloading to improve your game experience.

Finally the Samoa issue has been solved. Tonga has been removed and Samoa took its rightful place on the Samoan Islands instead.

To facilitate updating the config of the POP Splitter I've expanded the list of playable countries to include all available tags and also added their names for clarity. Some minor adjustments have been made to the number of countries which are automatically split.

The read.me file and the credits file have been updated.

download link in post #2 has been updated

Have fun!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you encounter ****REMOVED as an event name, event description, or in the message log while playing, you've found one of my newly introduced typos. Please post here the date and type of the event while also giving some details about the event itself if it has happened to your nation.

Although this should not happen to you, it might happen, so please help me fix this issues if they show up. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
If you encounter ****REMOVED as an event name, event description, or in the message log while playing, you've found one of my newly introduced typos. Please post here the date and type of the event while also giving some details about the event itself if it has happened to your nation.

Although this should not happen to you, it might happen, so please help me fix this issues if they show up. Thanks!
it s wonderfull. Thank you!

You're welcome. I'm glad you like it.:)

But, to be honest, I'm just keeping VIP:R alive, credit goes to the original mod team which has built one of the largest Paradox mods od all time.

By the way, if you click on CREDITS in the main menu, you can see the list of contributors to VIP:R, which is quite impressive.

You're welcome. I'm glad you like it.:)

But, to be honest, I'm just keeping VIP:R alive, credit goes to the original mod team which has built one of the largest Paradox mods od all time.

By the way, if you click on CREDITS in the main menu, you can see the list of contributors to VIP:R, which is quite impressive.
i understand. I speak french and play to vic french. Many mods are in english so for me this mod is great. This is so good to have modders like you for this old game. I play only to vic and eu3 with the mod eu3plus. I did a translation of this mod (not the events because too much) for eu3 because this is the best. It is really borring to do a translation! I will never do again. And I know that I will play these 2 games for many years. Thank you for all the time you spend to this job.
Sorry for my bad english. I hope you undestand me.

i understand. I speak french and play to vic french. Many mods are in english so for me this mod is great. This is so good to have modders like you for this old game. I play only to vic and eu3 with the mod eu3plus. I did a translation of this mod (not the events because too much) for eu3 because this is the best. It is really borring to do a translation! I will never do again. And I know that I will play these 2 games for many years. Thank you for all the time you spend to this job.
Sorry for my bad english. I hope you undestand me.
I fully understand you. Originally I always played games in German, but often the user interface didn't fit, because menus, pop-ups and buttons are usually designed with regard to the English language, i.e. that these don't fit for languages which have "longer" words. :(

Eventually I switched to English to avoid these issues, but also to play with mods.

VIP:R was almost entirely in English which automatically excluded players who preferred their native language. So my intention was to make VIP:R more accessible to players who speak other languages than English.

Sure, my hotfix would not have been possible without machine translations (e.g. DeepL). These are still not perfect, but do their job most of the time. So I can only encourage you to take a closer look at DeepL and do some testing. Translating large amounts of text this way is tedious, but it's worth it. So you might finally consider a full translation of EU3 Plus... ;)

My guess is that it's just a matter of time, that most (active) major mods will be fully translated. Although it was a huge amount of work translating VIP:R (the size of the event_txt.csv file increased by 10,000 A4 pages), I'm still convinced that it was a good move to go this way.:)

Last edited:
I fully understand you. Originally I always played games in German, but often the user interface didn't fit, because menus, pop-ups and buttons are usually designed with regard to the English language, i.e. that these don't fit for languages which have "longer" words. :(

Eventually I switched to English to avoid these issues, but also to play with mods.

VIP:R was almost entirely in English which automatically excluded players who preferred their native language. So my intention was to make VIP:R more accessible to players who speak other languages than English.

Sure, my hotfix would not have been possible without machine translations (e.g. DeepL). These are still not perfect, but do their job most of the time. So I can only encourage you to take a closer look at DeepL and do some testing. Translating large amounts of text this way is tedious, but it's worth it. So you might finally consider a full translation of EU3 Plus... ;)

My guess is that it's just a matter of time, that most (active) major mods will be fully translated. Although it was a huge amount of work translating VIP:R (the size of the event_txt.csv file increased by 10,000 A4 pages), I'm still convinced that it was a good move to go this way.:)
yes. For EU3 i have 2 instalations. One in english (translate but with : language= 1_english in setting.txt) for play to EU3 Plus. And an other vanilla in french. For the vanilla I used Gimp for do new interface textures and I used some fonts from vic2 because EU3's fonts are too small. After that I did some modifications in .csv files in location folder and now its perfect.
Question about deepl. You know how are .csv files so does deepl can do the translate "IN" the file? (encore sorry but its not easy the english for me). I do an example: ALL_PEOPLE_IS_HAPPY;All people is happy ;;;;;;;x . Does deepl can translate and put the translation exactly between the good ;; ? What about ALL_PEOPLE_IS_HAPPY? Does deepl will traduce that too?

yes. For EU3 i have 2 instalations. One in english (translate but with : language= 1_english in setting.txt) for play to EU3 Plus. And an other vanilla in french.
If you use the English text as placeholder for the missing French text, you can also set EU3 (with EU3 Plus) to French instead of English.;)

For the vanilla I used Gimp for do new interface textures
Why did you do that? Did you try to enlarge the backgrounds of the event pop-up windows?

and I used some fonts from vic2 because EU3's fonts are too small. After that I did some modifications in .csv files in location folder and now its perfect.
Using V2 fonts for EU3 is a neat trick.:cool: When playing with a larger screen resolution, you must adhere to certain restrictions, otherwise the text becomes almost unreadable. Thanks, I'll try that, too.

Question about deepl. You know how are .csv files so does deepl can do the translate "IN" the file? (encore sorry but its not easy the english for me). I do an example: ALL_PEOPLE_IS_HAPPY;All people is happy ;;;;;;;x . Does deepl can translate and put the translation exactly between the good ;; ? What about ALL_PEOPLE_IS_HAPPY? Does deepl will traduce that too?
Although DeepL can translate entire documents, this is not recommended since it will translate as much as possible (including ALL_PEOPLE_IS_HAPPY). No, translations with DeepL are a bit more tedious:

The .csv files are actually spreadsheets, which can be modified by using Excel (or LibreOffice) - although that is not recommended for modding. Nonetheless, for mass-translations this is a necessity. Select the English column and copy 50-100 cells over to DeepL. Keep in mind that there is a 5000 character limit, so that you might have to cut your copied cells by deleting them in the left window of DeepL. Once finished, copy the translated text into the French column of the .csv file. Start again with copying the text from the English column, starting from the point where you had to shorten the text of your first translation. ...

If you use the English text as placeholder for the missing French text, you can also set EU3 (with EU3 Plus) to French instead of English.;)

Why did you do that? Did you try to enlarge the backgrounds of the event pop-up windows?

Using V2 fonts for EU3 is a neat trick.:cool: When playing with a larger screen resolution, you must adhere to certain restrictions, otherwise the text becomes almost unreadable. Thanks, I'll try that, too.

Although DeepL can translate entire documents, this is not recommended since it will translate as much as possible (including ALL_PEOPLE_IS_HAPPY). No, translations with DeepL are a bit more tedious:

The .csv files are actually spreadsheets, which can be modified by using Excel (or LibreOffice) - although that is not recommended for modding. Nonetheless, for mass-translations this is a necessity. Select the English column and copy 50-100 cells over to DeepL. Keep in mind that there is a 5000 character limit, so that you might have to cut your copied cells by deleting them in the left window of DeepL. Once finished, copy the translated text into the French column of the .csv file. Start again with copying the text from the English column, starting from the point where you had to shorten the text of your first translation. ...
About translation: eu3Plus works perfectly in english. If I put French in setting the game stops (not a CTD). Just stops. So I used Ctrl+Alt+delette for close the game. In a first time I translate in french but the bug was always there. I saw that there was many (beaucoup in french) translations who missed in french. So i decided to put english in settings. Then i did thousands (des centaines in french) of copy paste for put the french on the english. At this time I didnot know tha it was possible to use excel to move columns!
About deepl ok I understand. If in the future i do a translation i will look to this. Thank you.
About textures and fonts. Neat trick? What does it mean? I have 2 bugs with texture. its normal. For my pause button I move it with a gfx file I thing. I dont remember exactly. So when i change resolution the button move too. I have a poor laptop and I play in 1024×768. So for me my pause button is perfect. The second bug is normal too. It is with the screen of welcome.
About fonts from Vic2 no problem. I change some of my texures for that work fine and I modify some translations too. Exemple: Empire Ottoman and France Révolutionnaire in Ottomans and France Rév.
11Finances.png
11Event.png
11écranAcceuil.png
11PopUp.png
11PoliceModifiée.png
11Pause.png
11Journal.png
11HRE.png
11Inter.png

And now about your work. I downloaded vic1 last month and played it in english. I searched everywhere how to put this game in french and I find your Hotfix! I downloaded your hotfix and I install all with JSGME. Your readme is very good it was verry easy thank you and i did your manipulation in game to put it in french so I am really happy thank you verry much! I have 3 questions. 1: I have not install the Pop Splitter. Can I do it now or do I must to reinstall everything (and the game) with Pop splitter in the same time?
2: I have a save game from vic1 vanilla with no mods. Can I use my save or not?
3: If I chose the scenario a house divided 1861 does the mod works with?
Thanks for all!

1: I have not install the Pop Splitter. Can I do it now or do I must to reinstall everything (and the game) with Pop splitter in the same time?
#1 You don't have to install the Pop Splitter at all. Simply open its sub-directory in the main menu of your game and run its exe. Then click "Select File" and go to the sub-directory "...\scenarios\save games" and select your savegame. Alternatively you can open the config.cfg file with an editor and change line 13: "GAMEDIR = ...", so that you can click "AutoSplit".
2: I have a save game from vic1 vanilla with no mods. Can I use my save or not?
#2 Old vanilla savegames can't be used for playing VIP:R. Once you've installed VIP:R your old savegames, vanilla scenarios or other mods might work for a short time but you'll probably experience missing string errors. This happens because of a rework of the vanilla event files by VIP:R whose strings (e.g. in the event_text.csv file) have been renamed.
3: If I chose the scenario a house divided 1861 does the mod works with?
#3 The gfx mods (named bebro_*) can be used for playing vanilla or other mods. The Leaderpack can be used for playing vanilla and several but not all mods.

Changing the language by using the cheat is an ad hoc measure which does serve it purpose during your game session, but that has to be redone the next time you want to play. It's only a small hassle but has very beneficial side effects...;)

About translation: eu3Plus works perfectly in english. If I put French in setting the game stops (not a CTD). Just stops. So I used Ctrl+Alt+delette for close the game. In a first time I translate in french but the bug was always there. I saw that there was many (beaucoup in french) translations who missed in french. So i decided to put english in settings. Then i did thousands (des centaines in french) of copy paste for put the french on the english. At this time I didnot know tha it was possible to use excel to move columns!
Missing (translated) text has usually a negative effect on your running game. Ricky usually has a CTD then.

Well, we all made our 'mistakes' when we begun modding. :(

The best advice is to start with a good editor: Notepad++ is highly recommended!
About textures and fonts. Neat trick? What does it mean?
The text of events gets very tiny once you increase your screen resolution beyond 1024×768. After playing for some time most of the menus are well known so that you don't have to read the descriptions any longer, but the text of events would be really nice to read at first glance. Thus I've usually played at 1024×768.

Exchanging the EU3 game font files with V2 font files which have slightly larger characters is indeed a nice trick. The text does indeed loolk better and is easier to read. :) That is a good work-around, but - by looking at your screenshots - it increases the size of all text. EU3 does - similar to Victoria - dislike overly long text on buttons etc. You worked your way around this by shortening the text of several buttons. That is something which I've only done occasionally for VIP:R because it's very time-consuming.
I have 2 bugs with texture. its normal. For my pause button I move it with a gfx file I thing. I dont remember exactly. So when i change resolution the button move too. I have a poor laptop and I play in 1024×768. So for me my pause button is perfect. The second bug is normal too. It is with the screen of welcome.
About fonts from Vic2 no problem. I change some of my texures for that work fine and I modify some translations too. Exemple: Empire Ottoman and France Révolutionnaire in Ottomans and France Rév.
In the \interface sub-directory of EU3 you will find the menubar.gui file. If you open it with Notepad++ and search for "shortcut =" or "shortcut" you will get to the hotkeys of EU3. I haven't checked closely, but there you might change the hotkey for PAUSE, which will probably solve your original bug (which might have its cause in playing with a laptop). There are even more shortcut commands to be found in this sub-directory, which are split across several files - if you use the search function of Notepad++ to search all files in that directory. Yep, Notepad++ is a very useful modding tool! Never work without it!

Your problem with the truncated loading screen is indeed a very minor one. I'd that once, too. It can be ignored. If you want to modify their size, you'll find them in the \gfx\loadingscreens sub-directory.