• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TC Pilot

Field Marshal
65 Badges
Aug 23, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
AARs and stories of your events last session can be posted here. To get a bonus for the next session, you must post your AAR by the day before the session - Saturday.

Early AARs will get an "early reward." The deadline for those is by the end of Tuesday.

-1 inflation will be given to players who were ontime, but they must also write an AAR to claim the reward.

For writing an AAR, you may pick one of the following:
-1 inflation
-1 badboy
-Early AARs will get an extra .5 added to these

If your AAR is 750 words or more, you may pick one of the following
-1.5 inflation
-1.5 badboy
-1 core on a province you own
-Early AARs will get an extra .5 added to these (for cores, you would be able to pick 1, and then later if you pick it again, get 2).

Last edited:
The Most Serene Republic of Genoa

1419-1438

„Enough is enough!”​

The year 1438. Malta, a Genoese outpost in the middle of the Mediterranean was being besieged by Abu Ya’qub I’s forces. Tlemcen’s envoys were spreading thick lies about the Most Serene Republic’s aggression, telling the Mediterranean courts that unprovoked the Genoese navy showed up at the shores of The Baleares, routed their peaceful navy and deployed a strong army to besiege their settlement! Indeed, the Italians came in force and tore apart the Sultan’s 6000 strong army in a matter of weeks. A most shocking story of aggression indeed. Just not the truth. To understand the real motives of the Republic one has to look back to the year where chaos engulfed Europe: 1419.

Nineteen years prior to the first Genoese-Tlemcenite war Europe was a different place. Italy, fragmented as always, was yet to be dominated by Genoa. The Southern provinces of the peninsula was under the firm grip of the Kingdom of Sicily. The centre was strongly held by the Pope and its Toscan ally. In the North, the loose alliance of Milan, Bologna and of course the Republic. However, peace was ever fragile in this region, through warfare and subterfuge the Most Serene Republic was expanding slowly but surely even before 1419. By routing the Moors from Sardinia and Malta and by crushing the Venetian Republic, Genoa has established itself as one of the leading states of Italia.

Optimally, Genoa would have never expanded so aggressively in the years following 1419. Indeed, peace and stability is good for business, and everyone knew that the Most Serene Republic was interested in one thing more so than in any other: profit through trade. By controlling crucial ports of the Mediterranean this was, in theory, a given. “The spice must flow!” agreed the Genoese elite. Others, however, had different ideas. Tlemcen for example was harbouring pirates quite openly. These pirates understood the Genoese saying, but they thought that the spice must flow to their coffers instead of the Most Serene Republic. Worse than the pirates though, there was the Pope. Sometimes in 1418, The Papal States’ naval patrols, or someone close to the Throne of St. Peter, developed a keen interest in Genoese shipping practices, going as far as confiscating cargo and sometimes even ships of the Republic. The combined actions of the Sunnite pirates and these Holy Papal pirates finally managed to push the Doge at the time into action “Enough is enough!” cried the head of the best merchants in Europe, Tommaso de Campofregoso. Despite failing to determine where the pirate strongholds might be the decision was final: after suffering through one of the worst years of trading, Genoa marched to war against the Holy See in January 1419.

Acting swiftly and alone, the Genoese navy ferried a sizeable army to Rome itself to bring the Pope to his holy knees. Smashing the Tuscan and Papal navies, the Genoese navy managed to establish naval supremacy in the Western Mediterranean with surprising ease. Indeed, the Republicans would have had a harder time had the Pope not ordered half of the Holy navy to transfer a cavalry army for amphibious assault on Veneto. Ultimately these tactical decisions of the Papal armies proved fruitful… for Genoa. It took the Republic almost three years, but by November 1422, the Italian central powers were utterly crushed. On 1 November, Tuscany agreed to pay up and be vassalized by Genoa. By the end of the month, the Pope agreed to pay a sizeable sum as well as hand over the control of Siena and Marche to the Most Serene Republic.

One would have thought that after this success peaceful times would return. After all, the Pope was defeated, Genoa emerged stronger than before and peace, which was still good for business, has returned. This never happened. By enriching themselves with relative ease, Genoa finally realised that war was good for business as well! Adhering to this newfound knowledge, in 1424 the Italians decided to help out poor Bavaria and subdue the Savoyan warmongers. It is not that the Genoese army was ill-prepared for mountain warfare, it is just that it wasn’t so quick conducting it. Three bloody years did it take for the Republic to finally crack the Savoyan nut. During these three years the Republican generals won many spectacular victories, but they also suffered some tough defeats. In the end though, Genoa’s borders were pushed to the river Rhone. Savoy was reduced to their capital for the time being.

The Savoyan campaign was followed by the Northern Italian one. In 1430 the Republic launched an offensive to eliminate Lombardy. This was move was not as well prepared as the previous wars of Genova, and this became evident after the huge armies of the other Italian states joined in and forced the Genoese army on the run multiple times. Balancing on the edge of the cliff the Genoese military genius once again showed, despite the odds the Italian states were soundly defeated in another three years and Lombardy’s role was marginalized. Genoa’s client, Tuscany, annexed Romagna while Genoa itself took Mantua and Emilia.

This conflict was quickly expanded to Styria. The German duchy was already failing to the mighty armies of Hungary, so Genoa quickly moved to capitalize on the situation and conquered Istria. The Italians were slowly being united under one entity; Genoa was turning out to be the absolute leader of the Italian peninsula and the central Mediterranean. While the Republic’s feats were impressive to many, the pirates were not among their admirers. Sure enough, the liked the fact that Genoese merchants grew richer and richer, because they could take more of the Italians riches than ever before.

“Enough is enough!” echoed Tomasso de Campofregoso’s words Doge Giacomo di Padua 18 years after his predecessor. In March 1437 the Genoese navy set out to seize The Baleares from the pirate harbouring Sultan.

H0W8RZ8.png

Genoa and her possessions in 1438.

Words: 989

Reward:
core on Provence (406) (+0.5 core to be carried for next week)
-1 inflation for being ontime

Edit request: Piemonte (404) to me as I couldn't demand it during the game for some weird reason. Piemonte has 17 gold province income, so that's 17*10 ducats I missed out I think (peace was concluded in 1427 November)? Also, if we are doing these kind of edits I'd like to mention that not having connection to Provence and Dauphine reduced my income from those provinces by 25% as well, so I missed 4,5*10 + 4*10 income as well. So that's 255 ducat right? If these numbers are yearly incomes indeed, then please put them into infra tech.

Last edited:
Hanseatic League: 1419-1438

Before 1419, the Hanseatic League was less a state than a loose coalition of city-states along the Baltic and North Sea coasts whose cooperation was mutually beneficial. However, following the Peace of Hannover, and under the leadership of the far-sighted Hansa chief executive Jordan Pleskow, the League began to grow and its interests coalesce into a more coherent fashion. Pleskow had mustered together in Holstein one of Europe's finest armies and certainly its finest navy, and had dispatched representatives to many parts of Europe to petition their enlistment into the League. These petitions found an unexpected level of acceptance from the various powers of Europe. Debt-ridden Normandy, no doubt also terrified at the prospect of endemic warfare in southern England, sold London to the Hansa, and both Bergen and Copenhagen were sold by Norway and Nordrige respectively. Unfortunately, these sales were made while the League had little many to actually pay them, and a create deal of taxation and loan-taking was necessary in order to meet the unexpectedly-high costs of expansion.

In the meantime, Pleskow made several aggressive military moves which would reverberate for several years to come. Pomerania was attacked, the plan being to claim the Duchy's lands west of the mouth of the Oder River. Under Pleskow's personal command, the Pomeranian grenadiers were quickly dispersed and victory achieved. To soften the blow, and in order to lay the foundation for Pleskow's grand vision of a Hanseatic League truly worth its name, Pleskow immediately approached Poland with plans to strike a blow against the nefarious Teutonic Order, which was currently preoccupied in a conflict against the minor Russian states to the east. War was thus declared, the Hansa navy clearing the Baltic of enemy resistance and Pleskow's force landed. With the Order's army freezing to death in Russia, the combined Hansa-Polish armies were able to take control of most of the country with relatively minor loss of life. After several years of sieges, victory was achieved, and the League acquired possession of the Order's Baltic provinces north of the Dvina River, meaning that the League now possessed a direct route to Novgorod.

During this war, Pleskow unfortunately died. The man's many abilities would be sorely missed, as conflict was now brewing with Nordrige. Ever since it had given up Copenhagen, the League merchants had sensed weakness, and believed great profits could be extracted from direct control over the remainder of Denmark. War was thus declared, the Nordrige army in Jutland obliterated, and the Sund blockaded. The Nordrige navy scored a surprise victory, temporarily driving the Hansa fleet from the Sund and blocking the way into Sweden, but the delay proved only short-lived. Jutland fell with shocking rapidity, and the bulk of the Nordrige army was dealt a crushing blow in Skane, from which it was still struggling to recover from when peace was at last signed after the fall of Stockholm. Jutland, Skane, and Vastergotland were all ceded to the League. This would mark the last League conquest of the period, but not the last war. The League was forced to intervene in defense of Poland in the face of a Teutonic attack, and war erupted between the League and the German states led by Bavaria. Negotiations ended the Bavarian-League war hospitably, though it remains to be seen how each side's allies will behave in future. Likewise, the Russian minors, apparently outraged at League aggression, in 1438 declared war, meaning the League once again faces a conflict it has little interest in waging.

Beyond that, however, the League has done relatively well for itself. It either leads or is relatively comparable to the rest of the world in technological innovation; its navy remains strong and its potential enemies to the north lay humbled, as does the once-mighty Teutonic Order. Relations with its more significant neighbors remain pleasant. The Poles, though prone to frequent bouts of diplomatic and military turbulence, have shown themselves remarkably tolerant of League ambitions on its peripheries and content with its control of the Baltic between the Oder and the Dvina. Likewise, Bavaria has opted for a diplomatic approach to affairs, promising cooperation is the eventual reordering of the messy situation between central Germany and the Baltic coast. Scotland, submerged in a struggle with Brittany, offers reason to expect cooperation rather than conflict. If rumors of distant continents prove accurate, the League may need to reach an understanding with the suzerain of all Britain. Further afield, the League looks more with curiosity than concern at the miraculous growth of Porto into Asturias, and less concern than disappointment at Brittany's present difficulties in its French backyard. Byzantium remains little more than a rumor to Hansa ears in Holstein, and will likely remain at best a distant presence unless it plots a truly dramatic advance into Hungary. And with Bavaria standing in the way, relations between the League and its Mediterranean counterpart Genoa will probably remain cordial and nothing more.

Word count: 822

Reward: -2 badboy ("long" AAR and early reward)
Edits: Add permanent CBs between all players, unless there is major objection to this.

A History of Bavaria: 1419-1438
Reign of Ernst, The Negotiator, Augustus
Emperor of the Romans,
Duke of Bavaria, Brunswick, Lüneburg, Brabant, Lotharingia, Limburg, Saxony;
Count of Kleve, the Mark, Württemberg, Tyrol, Artois, Palatine of the Rhine, Hainaut, Jülich;
Landgrave of Alsace; Thuringia;
Prince of Swabia, Anhalt, Köln;
Grand Prince of the Swiss Confederation;
Margrave of Burgau, Baden, Misnia;
Count of Holland, Zeeland, Ferrette, Kyburg, Namur, Zutphen;
Lord of Frisia, the Wendish March, Pordenone, Mechelen; the cities, towns & lands of Utrecht, Overyssel;

X-1438a.jpg

Europe, 1438

I have the best words

Just like our last campaign, I didn't know which country I'd be playing until game start. I'd known I was going to play Bavaria, Swabia or the Teutonic Order for about a day, but I didn't know which one. As a result I'd only made the most tentative of diplomatic overtures to my neighbors. I agreed on a split of Northern Germany with TC in Hansa, and Krisz (Genoa) and I promised to stay out of each other's business (Cultures), but that was it. I attacked Swabia first, dowing Tyrol (high relations) for 2 badboy and -4 stab instead of the reverse. I used Swabia's Tyrol inheritance event to get that gold mine for .25 BB, then annexed Baden (despite the badboy hit) to shore up my land connection to the Palatine. Ideally, one of my AI allies would have annexed them for me, but it didn't happen.

Next on the hit list was the Hussites, from whom I could get provinces for .25 badboy each due to the inheritance event when the Bohemian Romanists win the Civil War. This was a very dangerous war to fight because the Hussites have land tech 5, maxed sliders for morale and a very good leader. In my single player game I'd lost pretty brutally and had to cede provinces to get them off my back. However, I had a lot of AI allies to throw bodies at them and eventually ended up winning. The declaration of war on the Hussites broke my alliance, with almost every member dishonoring, despite +170-200 relations for all of them. Unfortunately, I was too slow and Saxony and Brandenburg both joined different alliances before I could snap them back up. I also sent a royal marriage to Burgundy, to hopefully keep them off my back if my troop numbers go too low, which seemed to work, though it would cost me 1 stab later.

The war itself mostly consisted of sieging while avoiding combat with the Hussites' uberarmies, boosted by event to about 50k. It was complicated when Savoy, Brabant and Orleans declared war, followed by Saxony, Bourbonnais, and Hannover. Luckily, it was a good opportunity for Krisz to beat down Savoy in a defensive war, so I didn't have to worry about them too much. Unfortunately, I didn't beat the Hussites before they won the civil war, so the inheritance event didn't fire. That meant I had to take their provinces for two badboy each, and it also bugged the events which would let me return the provinces for a reward as well. I ended up with more land, but a lot higher badboy and two more wrong culture/religion provinces than I wanted.

The silver lining is that I got Anhalt for one badboy and vassalized Saxony, without any badboy or stabhit for a declaration of war. Munster also annexed Brabant and Hannover, which saved me more badboy and money for state gifts. Now that I was at peace, I built my army up to around 80k and finished promoting tax collectors. I also helped Delian not die to Burgundy, laying claim to Franche-Compte and Lorraine in the process. TC and I began our province swap in Northern Germany, netting me Koln and a land connection to the Netherlands, but that was still in process as the session ended. Eventually, he'll take Hannover and Madgeburg from Munster, hopefully before I diploannex it.

Internationally, John seems to be doing well in Iberia and moving into Southern France, although it seems he's been slowed by Urko holding him at high WE; which, interestingly enough, is probably helping Delian. Krisz is doing well in Italy and moving into the Provence region. TC has helped HAL out a lot, but has relatively high BB and inflation, despite his tech lead. Delian has struggled to not die to the AI and Urko and has been at war almost constantly since 1419. HAL bit off more than he could chew and went bankrupt, but seems to be recovering somewhat with TC's help.

More ominously, Drake seems to be moving into Hungary, despite it being entirely wrong religion/culture for him. That's interesting after all the complaining he did about Anatolia and the East being so terrible because it's wrong culture and religion. At this rate he's also likely to beat HAL to Siberia and gobble up everything in the east at his convenience.

Words: 817

Edits:
Core on Köln (344) (.5 cores extra next session)

-1 inflation (ontime)

Give a colonial culture to all countries. I suggest Lithuanian because there don't seem to be any Lithuanian cultured provinces.

Last edited:
An History of Celtic Struggle, or Scotland from 1419 to 1438

Is this really happening for real, like, again, seriously? That was the first thought you could have when, upon rehosting again on 1419, the Brettons decided to assault Wales and Ireland. It's like, France has the richest non-cot provinces in the game, land access, tribes divided and, not to be forgotten, they would be taken by unnatural powers, while the British islands are the only place Scotland can -must- expand to (I had even taken Scotland because a human Frenchgland would have been invincible). Obviously, after taking England, Wales and Ireland as they wanted, a human Scotland would have been removed to form Frenchgland, the very reason I had moved into a shity power as Scotland in the first place to balance Europe. But hey, That move (moves, Brettons had a chance not to repeat upon rehost) would condemn them otherwise to become natural Brettonic allies, brothers in Celtic cultural inheritance, into struggling powers. Not even mutual annoyance was between us, I believe, just a clash of personalities between somebody ambitioning Irish exploration (which does not even de facto work with Irish AI and human in Portugal anyway) obtention and... anybody who would have played Scotland, regardless would that person be me or would be anybody else.

Well, so Scotland had to prepare. On the one hand, had to save money, as in the early 1430s St Andrews University, the peak of Celtic culture, hand to be funded (and money is not what Scotland is known for), after it had been already founded by the most knowledgeable men in the land on 1413, before our game period. Also, we needed to save, as Scotland begins without a navy except for some transports used to sell the wool to the continent during peacetime, yet now futile for war. So this had to be a cheap campaigm, or at least that was our convenience if we did not want nasty loan interests with an income of 7 ducats on a good month and expenses of 5.5 of an army.

But the Brettonic move came as early as 1419, as to Blitz the otherwise militarily (not in army but with a massive navy) superior Ireland, while assaulting their Welsh ally in the process, as by calling the Brettonic ally, Wessex (which otherwise had nothing to do with a dow on Ireland, just as their other ally, Normandy. However, for not just one, but two times due to rehost, they presented it as a dow on only Ireland, which also was would not have been adequate anyway either, to the more than skeptic international opinion, which even joked at their motives).

Scotland went on the move: We dowed both Wales -which brought Ireland into conflict with us, but they accepted a separate white peace due to the fact Brettonics were besieging them everywhere after they had rather landed their army onto Liverpool as a good dumb AI- and Wessex. Brittany mentioned a lvl 5 shocker leader if we took from Wessex anything but what they were taking from Wales... To no avail. Anybody playing poker would have known we was not following Wessex with the Irish ongoing campaign. I don't play poker, but knew it too cause I play EU2. So Wessex had a good leader on plains and it was hard to wipe out with our shity army, but eventually we did, with some help from our Yorkish ally -yay!-. Wessex was slowly besieged, and so was Wales. Eventually, Wales and Wessex fell after a long campaign, to become our puppets -Wessex only after their Norman allies were beaten down by our Norwegian allies, which also would allow us to take Caen for future horse-trading).

No more could I advance, as I had no navy and they had 60-80 ships preventing me from moving too much outside Britain except for some raids, so I offered Caux and they would give me the 2 British provinces. After a victory and with their big issues on France and as it was obvious their British dream was over, this sounded asn ok deal to us.

Meanwhile, Eire ceded 1 prov and vassallization to Brittany, which called Portugal-Asturias into the struggle, something interesting to them to prevent my late colonialism in their usual way. Their neighbouring closest AI French had already ataccked Brittany, and after this, several AI nations joined against Brittany on France due to this move, as they hated their human alliance. This would lead to 4 different wars at the same time for Brittany, including a war vs. Al-Andalus which was quite odd, as Asturias had already defeated them and did not rejoin so far as they seemingly just wanted Navarre as their only viable step to enter into Southern France, something I had repeteadly warned to Brettons this would happen if they did not accept, as Napoleon said, that geography is what dictates the foreign policy of a nation. The same, as I had told them -they have to form France!- Italians and Germans took their lot too.

And Eire landed over 100k on me, but in separate groups and got killed at adequate cost.

So the Brittons were besieged by French AIs and Norwegians and Burgundians -after they trashed Orleans, taking Paris and another province-. Bavarian dow saved them for a while on Burgundians, but after Bavarians took their lot Burgundians slowly rebuilt and began ataccking again -nothing Brettons could do, nothing I could do-. Brettons were now K.O., but refused several times as I could not yet stabhit them, no matter he has 1 free province left, he still rejects accepting he lost a war, no matter my offer was 2 provinces for 1. You know what? I am not even returning Caux next session, this was too silly to be rewarded... How can I reward a reasonable, no brutally vanquished enemy if I treated so well somebody who willingly suicided his nation?. Meanwhile, Asturias keept mentioning they were annexing me eventually and insulting me as away to convince me to forgive their opportunistic joining. As If had anything to gain from peacing as a thank to his insults him except finding how he annexed Delian outright or took most Southern France as it was mentioned even by Bavarians (natural enemies of Brettons), even if I don't consider Delian a real enemy myself!

Yes, this was a permanent state of madness in NW Europe, and it will continue next session cause they won't yet accept they have no room on Ireland after massively losing a war.

BTW, and just so people compare... TC got London per event, even paying for it I think he wrote, and when I approached him to ask if we had a diplomatic solution he merely said I could take it. You know, Hanseatic know how to be more-chivalrous-than-required and, ironically, may pay them off economically in the future.

Word count: Over a thousand, early AAR too... Will edit reward later as they're discussing the core thingie... And, for a plus, now a map of current European landmarks of current affairs, from the Byzantine crusade to secure Jerusalem to Genovese supremacy or Bavarian rewardwing expansion. Includes a new baptism name for T.C.

Co_V_Europe_Blank_Map.jpg

EDIT:

- 1 inflation for showing on time
- 2 BB

Last edited:
Asturius: 1419-1438

After doing a few late night practice rounds, I felt pretty good about handling Al Andalus. They always DOW a few days into the start, and then after a couple months, I inherit my allies, Leon and Galicia, growing my country from 1 to five provs, and bringing my army size up to about 40k.

The first move for tiny Oporto after war begins is to move the 13k army(10 +3 gained by event) across Leon and then into Castille, where Al Andalus starts building an army, so you can smash it and then pursue it for a little extra WS. When we played the session, I was just repeating what I'd done a few times in practice, and it went as expected. I inherited the AI armies, which put me at 40k, well above my support limit, and I shifted to full scale minting to avoid loans, but also because you get 3 deflation after defeating Al Andalus.

My strategy from here was to avoid major clashes with AI armies, hitting isolated forces here and there, killing reinforcements as they spawned, and sieging their cities faster by spreading my forces around more than they. In general it worked very well, and I didn't have to build any troops until toward the end of the war.
I took Tago, Estramadura, Castile, and Aragon, and then got my events.

I was surprised to not get more DP boosting events though at this time. In SP, I received enough of them that I went up to full land, and 9 offensive. I'm not sure if I mis-clicked something, or what. It's something to look more into I guess. But anyway, I changed from Oporto to Asturius, and got cores on most of Iberia.

Then Al Andalus re-DOWed in two years from an event, and we were back at it. It still wasn't a straightforward thing, because their armies had a lot higher morale, and of course since they're AI, they make a ton of troops. I did the same thing, hitting reinforcement armies here and there, and sieging slowly, starting in Catalonia and Valencia and making my way through the mountains, accepting loss of control over Estramadura temporarily since I was making faster progress meanwhile.

I had to raise new infantry armies here and there. I figured it wasn't cost effective to build the more expensive cavalry, since I was mostly just going to out-seige them, or defend mountain sieges. Over time, I got enough WS for them to offer me Algarve and Catalonia, which I accepted.

After this, I had an interesting looking position. I could wait around and continue the acquisition of Al Andalus, or look to opportunities elsewhere. One was presented to me when Brittany was attacked by Navarre, Lanquedoc, and Guyonne. These were my neighbors, and I fancied taking a few provs from them myself. I therefore offered to Delian to join his alliance, if he didn't mind me using the war to acquire a few provs from them. There was a little haggling about what would be included in my claims, but with the acceptance of Gascogne as part of it, we agreed, and I was invited.

The problem with this was that my armies were still way inferior to the AI morale-wise. I started sieges in Navarre, but they were soon beaten back by the Navarre army, and then I was pushed out of my mountain provs, and I had to push aside ideas of a relatively easy win.
I sidestepped the AI sieges and moved 11k into Navarre to siege their large fortress, and put 6k in Gerona, with another 6k going north to rip WS off AI reinforcement armies.

It was touch and go after this. The AI captured Aragon and the prov NW of that, and then shuffled around, some going north to plague Delian, some advancing into Castille. I captured Navarre and Gerona, and then lay siege to Aragon and the other Navarre prov, and eventually these fell, but I had to take the rest of Navarre controlled land in my territory to make peace there.

Fortunately for me, I was able to make a separate peace with Lanquedoc. They'd killed my 6k strike force, but ws was slightly positive, and the war'd gone off long enough for them to want a WP. From here, mopping up Navarre was annoying, but thankfully Guyenne kept its lumbering horde far enough away from me that I was able to get it done, and vassalize them.

Then I tried to take out Guyenne, but I had a hard time finishing that task because they kept kicking me out of their capital. I soon got tired of it, and accepted peace with them for a few ducats.

By this time, other developments had come, which were to prove very obnoxious to me.

I'll just refer to this section as The Scottish Play (strangely). At some point, Delian asked if he could invite me to war with Scotland, so that he could get his vassals into the war too. And I of course said sure(and thanks for asking:)). I wasn't too interested. I didn't think it would affect me, so why ever not. To be honest, I didn't even realize we had a player playing Scotland.

I only got interested in it when Norway started landing troops on my coast, and gave me a tough time with their(like all AI) formidable morale. Eventually I flattened the first army, but before long, in came a second one in the West. This was while I was still trying to win a prov from Guyenne, so it was a very annoying distraction.
I offered WP to Norway, which they refused. Then I realized they were a vassal of Scotland, so I offered Scotland a WP, and they refused too. I offered it again, and was again refused. Then I looked at the chat field and I realized that I was dealing with a human. Not just any human either, but Urko, who I don't think likes me.

I asked him why I couldn't get a WP from him, and he said something about me using the peace to build up to attack him again. I tell him he's being ridiculous, which he is, considering we've had absolutely no dealings thus far, have nothing to fight each other about, and my involvement in Delian's wars is only technical, except for the I entered for(Navarre, Lanquedoc, and Guyenne). And then he says something about me wanting to annex him, which has to be a carry over from the last game, cause where else can that be coming from? (Not that it makes sense from that angle either. I'm just grasping to get a bead on his thought process) I tell him that, yes, I will annex him eventually, but not any time soon-I have tons of better things to do. But I probably shouldn't have said that, because now he probably has enough to feed his imaginative paranoia for the rest of the game.

In short, Urko has an even worse idea of whats going on around him than I do, or is a big fat liar. You can have a WP any time you want, Urko. Just let me know, and I'll sign a 20 year NAP with you too. Why on earth are we still at war?

Reward: Deflation

Last edited:
Byzantine Empire Aar 1419-1438

*As true Empire of the Romans, we consider any other country laying claim to this title to be insult to the emperor directly

Phoenix from the Ashes​
The roman empire wil be reborn in the east

In the year of our lord 1419 the empire of the Romans was reduced to a small region around the beautiful city of Constantinople at the beginning of the game with several islands and a few lands that where further to the east it was fairly clear the empire has seen better days, fortunately for us there was no organized attempt to finish us off and with the Turkish states fragmented in the east we had some room to breathe and rebuild,

Unfortunately news was spreading fast and a rumor came to the attention of the Emperor, it appeared Egypt and the caliphate had allied in a afford to destroy the kingdom of Jerusalem once and for all while it was being ruled by a incompetent king , one of the last forces standing in the east that stopped the rise of a new Muslim power that could threaten the empire once again. With that news in regard the emperor decided to move quickly and take Jerusalem for himself before the armies of Muslim could do so themselves, the army was split in 3different parts and boarded the fleet, 2armies of 15000 men and a third army with 20000 cavalry where send to the east to take the Levant. With the incompetent king leading the Jerusalem forces it wasn’t really that hard to take over both infantry armies landed to lay siege to the northern provinces while the cavalry under command of my most capable general was send chasing the armies of Jerusalem to the south and wipe them out near the capitol , at that point the infantry armies split up to siege multiple provinces and the cavalry remained in the south to clear any attempt to rebuild or reinforce the enemy army, some troops were also send to Cyprus so Jerusalem could not fortify that province in time.

In the end Jerusalem fell and accepted peace for Cyprus, Aleppo and agreed to become a loyal vassal of the empire, in the future Jerusalem would be guarded by roman soldiers when needed but the armies of Jerusalem would be seen fighting as far west as Italy

During the first war the empire also destroyed the armies of Albania which was a ally of Jerusalem at the time, and Albania suffered a similar fate as Jerusalem in the end to be a vassal of the empire

Unfortunately Armenia and Georgia had a total of 75-85000 men guarding the mountains in the east so very little efforts was spend trying to beat those guys as it felt fairly pointless, in the end a white peace with them was agreed.

After the first major war some efforts were made to rebuild the armed forces and navy of the empire before going on the next expeditions to make the roman empire great again,

With the emperor setting its sights to the west next, in southern Italy there where riches to be found in a small but rising power called Sicily which unfortunately allied Rome, some considerations where made if it was worth retaking the long lost city of Rome but in the end I deemed it not worth antagonizing a potential friend in northern Italy over this, hence I offered Genoa to join this war so he could deal with Rome while I finished sicily and help byzantine empire out a bit when needed in this endeavor, while Genoa agreed it was fairly unfortunate that Rome was a dishonorable scum that broke his alliance with Sicily when I declared war, fortunately for me however I didn’t really need any help vs. Sicily both his navy and army where whipped out very fast and all his provinces under siege in a matter of months

Unfortunately the ai is a prick at peace deals even at 100warscore so I was unable to take entire south Italy + vassal and had to settle for Napoli and vassal instead

After the Italian wars my main attention diverted to the Balkans, after a few swift maneuvers and quick wars both Walachia and Bulgaria fell to the imperial armies opening the way for me to hit a old and powerful enemy in Hungary.

Some efforts were made to ally and vassal Moldavia peaceful which fortunately succeeded after the second or third try during all this, Moldavia was then used as a ally against hungary

Prepares where made for this great and terrible war over the Hungarian plains and war was declared, fortunately for me the Hungarians have been fighting several minor countries which weakened the army a little bit and maneuvering was not exactly amazing either, at some point I managed to trash the vast majority of the army in the plains in Banat while the remaining Hungarian army felt the great need to gather in Moldavia in a effort to siege the capitol there

It took some convincing to push them back out but in the end they were slowly pushed back towards the north and west up to the point where they are close to collapsing at the might of the Romans. It will not be long before Hungary joins the list of vassal states of the empire, hopefully serving the empire well before they become part of it.

A deal has been made with Bavaria turning half of it over after this war but other than that Byzantium will have to look for new targets next session, with the Balkans fairly secure it might be a good time to hunt some Turks and bomb them back to the stone age, where they belong (possible vassal a Kurdish state if I can instead just to spite them :p)

about 970 words
ontime 1deflation
aar core 393

remember to change culture in dobrudja back to greek
it changed to greek then a month after to romanian iirc

Last edited:
Before I write an so called AAR, I need to say this: it is so retarded we are playing EU2 again. This game is sooo ooold...

POLAND THE BEGINING - AAR

Well, it went bad as usual in EU2 when you start as 3 prowinces minor. AI Teutons (the ones from Teutonic Order, not the bad ones from Bawaria) were easily defeated thanks to help from Hanseatic League, but later the Smolensk and Halitch became a problem. With time they were finally defeated, however building knights armies to defeat them was very very costly and led poor Poland to a bankruptacy. It all looked groomy, but then... THE GOD OF INTERNET HIMSELF INTERFERED AND MIRACLE HAPPANED HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH - the rehost helped to avoid bankrupt event.

After rehosting another issue occured - the bastards from Gdańsk (called by dirty Germans Dantzig) didn't agree to become a vassal, as they did before the rehost. So poor Poland lost a lot of cash again. After two years of proper propaganda they finally agreed, but money were lost for good.

Meanwhile, as it was expected from evil and treacherous Germans, Bawaria used the religious turmoil in Bohemia and took Silesia and Morawia. (seriously what is this fuss all about, why you are expanding there Dane? This is so obvious provocation against Poland that how can you expect us to cooperate now??). And so now poor Poles in the west are oppressed and scream for justice all over Europe.

Now, the case of Hungary. Lets make it straight - the Poland has a long history of close relationship with Hungary (it is well represented in the events file) and that is why is the only country in the game with proven claims to its throne and territory. The fact that BB band (Bawaria and Byzatnirum) used they fancy early start to steal provinces there is deteriorating relations with Poland to a very low level. We expect some explanations, compensations and declarations of withdrawal from Bayern and Constantinopole. How dare to go there without even saying a word of diplomacy before. Dirty savages, not worthy of a word of true European.

As for other international affairs it is worth mentioning that Pommerania was peacfuly annexed by Poland (oh, ok not so peacefully, there were mere two wars) and now claims to Pommern and Hinterrpomern are written in the annals. And that is why we expect our dear friends from Hansa to respect them.

The other parts of Europe are not Poland's concern at the moment, but of course polish nobles and peasants are looking with greed at The East. Especially the Ukraine and Crimea. Anyone having problem with that will find himself with a knife in his back at the most unpleasant moment. That is said and written.

Yes, I'm in rage and will burn to the ground all that I don't like. Live with it.

For this AAR Poland demands max deflation bonus.

Last edited:
A History of Bavaria: 1438-1465
Reign of Albrecht III, the Magnanimous, Augustus, Emperor of the Romans,
King of Bohemia;
Archduke of Austria;
Duke of Bavaria, Burgundy, Brunswick, Lüneburg, Brabant, Lotharingia, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland, Saxony;
Count of Kleve, the Mark, Württemberg, Tyrol, Artois, Palatine of the Rhine, Hainaut, Jülich;
Landgrave of Alsace; Hesse, Thuringia;
Lord of the Wendish March, Pordenone, Mechelen; the cities, towns & lands of Utrecht, Overyssel;

X-1465a.jpg

Europe, 1465

More of the same

The session started with more compromise. During the week, I decided to accept Drake's rather unfavorable split of Hungary in the interests of peace, so that conflict petered out. However, I suspect that Drake's European ambitions might not be completely satiated. Unfortunately, I didn't do much else in the way of preparing for the session. In Western Europe, Munster and I were at war with three one-province minors: Geldre, Hessen and Oldenburg. In my single-player tests Munster annexed them and then got DoWed by half of Europe, giving me ample defensive wars which I could use to expand for low bad boy. In the actual session the first half of the plan went well, I extracted about five hundred ducats from the AIs before Munster annexed them, but unfortunately all the AIs in the game decided to attack TC in the Hanseatic League instead. More unfortunately, my inner gambler got the better of me and I tried to annex Munster after less than twenty years of vassalage. Not surprisingly, they refused and broke the vassalage. Well, those are the breaks. Of course, it could have been worse. That same year Poland went bankrupt and Brittany had an income of seven ducats.

Although the AIs had mostly DoWed TC's Hanseatic League and Munster broke the vassalage it wasn't all bad. Breaking the vassalage gave me a CB against Munster, so I banned them from the alliance and TC was kind enough to invite me into the war against Bohemia, Luxembourgh and Brandenburg. After some difficult battles against Brandenburg's general named...general (turns out he was 4-4-4), the alliance was defeated, Austria and Kustrin added to the realm and all three countries vassalized.

While the Bohemian war was going on Milan and Savoy took the opportunity to annex my vassal, Swabia. My other vassal, Saxony was annexed in 1445, which turned out to be a mistake, but more on that later. I re-added Munster to my alliance and declared war on the TC's Hanseatic League to complete a province swap agreed to before, but there was some confusion regarding the deal. TC had said he wanted the provinces "between Friesland and Danzig," which would seem to exclude those two provinces. It seemed especially obvious, since Friesland starts the game as a Bavarian vassal. Despite the confusion, the magnanimous Albrecht agreed to allow the Hanseatic League to annex Friesland as a gesture of friendship. Unfortunately, TC accidentally peaced before we could complete the province swap so we needed to try again in five years. I did get Flanders, which TC had agreed to sell for seven hundred ducats.

Next up on my plate was the partition of Hungary, to be facilitated by Drake getting them in alliance and DoWing me. That war went predictably, although Hungary built a few ships in Dalmatia, so they refused peace over 60% and I couldn't take everything in one war. I also botched the peace offer, taking a province that I'd promised to Drake. The next war Drake forgot to invite Hungary, so I lost a few more years of income for that.

Meanwhile, round two of the partition of Munster began. TC took Madgeburg, Hessen, Hannover, Brabant, Geldre and Kleves, then ceding four of them to Bavaria. During this second partition, Milan and Savoy declared war on me, so I got the former Swabian provinces back for one bad boy each with about two hundred ducats extra.

The next target was the Burgundy alliance, which would help Delian get back on his feet in Brittany. I ended up killing about 100k Burgundians. I got Lorraine and some cash, which Delian had agreed to allow in my sphere of influence when I helped him out last session.

As alluded to earlier, annexing Saxony turned out to be a mistake. Apparently, Brandenburg has an inheritance event in 1464, where it will go to Saxony, Poland or Bavaria. The first option is Saxony, then Poland and finally Bavaria. Annexing Saxony caused the Poland inheritance event to fire, giving HAL German culture and letting him inherit my vassal. Obviously, I'm not happy about HAL annexing my vassal. I'm willing to give him some compensation for his trouble, but Berlin's continued rule from Krakow is not acceptable.

Despite some issues, it was an overall good session for Bavaria. With the addition of the Flanders center of Trade I was able to expand my trade presence a lot, though with only four coastal provinces, I'm barely getting three merchants per year at +3 stability. A lot of territory was annexed for a relatively small bad boy cost: all of my province acquisitions were from defensive wars, except Lorraine and five from the Hanseatic League; but provinces from player wars only give 1/3rd normal bad boy. I was lucky to receive so many DoWs from AIs, which made the consolidation of Germany a lot faster than it could have been. A few unforced errors--the early Munster annexation attempt, not knowing about Brandenburg's inheritance and taking a few stab hits just before January 1st--aren't enough to mar an otherwise solid session. Bavaria has agreed to borders with all of its neighbors except Poland, and hopefully HAL can see reason and focus on solidifying his East instead of forcing confrontation in the west.

(885 words, not including titles)

Edits:
(.5 cores left over from last session)
Core on Flanders (380)
Core on Austria (351)
-1 inflation (ontime)
-2 bad boy, not given from the bugged Bohemian events "fixed" last session.

Optional: Give a colonial culture to all countries. I suggest Lithuanian because there don't seem to be any Lithuanian cultured provinces.

Last edited:

1438-1465

„United”​

With almost 10000 Genoese soldiers besieging The Baleares, the Most Serene Republic set out to cause some havoc in the Maghrebi mainland. A little more than 5000 cavalrymen was deployed to plunder the larger cities sworn to the Sultan. However, after a brief session of putting the heathen possessions to torch, the expeditionary force was recalled due to fear of encountering a sizeable army. The navy sailed back to Genoa with the cavalry on board to gather fresh reinforcements. While the Genoese army was reorganising the Sultan quite arrogantly dispatched his own fleet to the Bay of Liguria. A series of clashes followed between the two fleets, all of them ending in Italian victory. Having routed the Maghrebi navy (loaded with troops) the route was once again open to North Africa. In late 1438 the Genoese returned to North Africa in number, and duly laid siege to Tunis. The end of the war came swiftly enough after the Genoese landing, not wanting to drag the conflict longer (Genoese spies reported that the Sultan blew all his money trying to mount counter landings in Tuscany, a Genoese client state at the time) the Doge offered peace in exchange for The Baleares islands. The Sultan caved in to the Republican demands on 18 April, 1438.

Following the war, the Doge’s original plans included little more than consolidation and the fattening of the Genoese treasury [read: I wanted to read a book about the Roman Republic while collecting census tax], but fate had different things in store for the Most Serene Republic. Milan and Savoy was reduced to their innermost provinces after getting beaten by Genoa in the previous decade. This, however, did not stop them from insulting giant Bavaria, and they promptly decided to attack and tear apart one of Bavaria’s oldest client state, Swabia. What the Doge though was a mere plundering session for the Savoyan-Milanese alliance turned into a furious decimation of Swabia with Savoy annexing Western Swabia in 1440. Now other countries may have sat and watched the horrorshow without intervening. However, Genoa was always the champion of the poor, as well as loving friend of Bavaria, thus without self-interest, Genoese armies swarmed into the Savoyan mountains to intervene.

Naturally some states are full of treachery though. A little more than two weeks after Genoa marched against the murderous Savoyans, the Southern French alliance backstabbed our Most Serene Republic and moved into the Dauphine – Provence region. By the end of 1440 Genoese armies were sieging both provinces of Savoy, Savoy was sieging Genoese Piemonte and Milan was sieging Eastern Swabia. The treacherous Frenchmen were repelled from Dauphine for the time by the ferocious Tuscan allies of Genoa. This part of the war progressed slowly. By August 1441 the Genoese troops slowly broke the Savoyan garrisons, the Savoyan army managed to do the same to the fort in Piemonte. This resulted in an old fashioned switcheroo: the Savoyans were now sieging Savoy, while the Genoese were trying to claim Piemonte back. The Southern French led by Guyenne managed to capture Dauphine and began sieging the formidable fort in Provence. Not much changed for years, this Mediterranean conflict was largely a conflict of sieges. Swabia was annexed in 1442 by Milan, which freed up the North Italian army to invade Genoese Mantua. The Savoyans managed to out siege the Genoese so Genoa was once again sieging Savoy. Luckily, the Southern French were having enormous troubles trying to crack Provence open and they were still sieging it while suffering massive casualties due to attrition and the constant Tuscan harassment.

In 1443 the war finally progressed. Genoa, having taken the last remaining Savoyan castle, enforced vassalization on the Louis I, the Savoyan prince. After a major Genoese victory against Milan in Mantua, the same conditions were applied to Sforza in early 1445. What quickly followed was a series of victories against the Southern French culminating in Guyenne agreeing to pay 350 ducats to Genoa in 1448 [details of this war are quite hazy, mainly because it seems I was lagging a few months behind that led to the death of one of my leaders, as well as my army, and me getting less money than I expected, but alas].

The unity of Genoa and Tuscany showcased in the war against the Southern French ended up in the latter state joining the Most Serene Republic in 1453. The wise leaders of both nations realised that together they were even more formidable than separated by different standards. The following ten years of peace saw the flourishment of Genoese trade. Early in this period pirates still harassed the Italian shipments, so in 1455 Genoa naturally supported Sicily through the League of Taranto in a bid to deal with the pirates. Much to the contemporaries’ astonishment the Sultan caved in, and the pirate holdings were naturalised. To make sure that Milan and Savoy won’t cause any friction between Genoa and Bavaria, in the early years of 1460 the Doge sought to normalise the Most Serene Republic’s relations with their client states. This came after the Germans reclaimed the lost lands of Swabia. Initially, the Doge approached Sforza to accept the position of the Genoese governor based in Milan, but he stubbornly refused multiple attempts in 1463-64. Louis I of Savoy was different though, in 1464 he agreed to properly join Genoa. Losing his long-time ally was a push enough for Sforza and in mid 1464 he followed the Savoyan suit. Northern and Middle Italy was finally united under the banner of the Most Serene Republic.

GgnUQKc.png

Genoa and her possessions in 1465.

Words: 942

AAr reward: cores on Lombardia (389) and Firenze (401) [had 0.5 cores leftover from the last session].
-1 inflation for being ontime

Edits: despite raising the issue, we couldn't in the end fix my event so I'd like +1 fort that I already paid for on The Baleares (821).

The Southern French alliance together with AIJohn attacked me at the end of the session so I suppose the best way would be to delete the war altogether, alternatively just take John out of it, I'm sure he'll have a huge list of edits anyway.

Hanseatic League: 1438-1465

Relatively little occurred during the course of this session when compared with the warfare that raged on throughout the first session. There were, of course, ongoing wars with Luxembourg and Bohemia, as well as a gaggle of Russian states, but both of these wars were eventually settled in a white peace once Hansa troops stood before the walls of Tver and Prague. In any case, this lack of offensive action was in large part due to the high badboy earned as a result of conquering so many provinces from Nordrige and the Teutonic Order, but also because of the consequences of instability as a result of declarations of war, the League opted for a more peaceful approach this time around. The lull in the hostilities allowed improvements to be made on the technological front, particularly infrastructure, and substantial investments have also been made into trade. The League thus remains one of the more technologically sophisticated states in Europe these days, a lead the members of the League all hope to maintain and perhaps even increase as they lay down their plans to invest in refineries and other manufacturies.

The session was not altogether peaceful, however. Indeed, the deflation the League experienced at the beginning was largely undone as a result of the need raise the money necessary to equip and reequip the Hansa military, a none too cheap endeavor compared with many of its neighbors. This need was punctuated repeatedly by unexpected and unprovoked declarations of war from nearby neighbors. War, for instance, unexpectedly erupted on three separate occasions, first with the perfidious and nefarious people of Hesse, whose own conquests rivaled that of the League itself, second with the Norwegians, who pulled an unwilling and unhappy Scotland in behind them, and Nordrige as well, which no doubt hoped to get revenge and reclaim some of the land it lost. This third war resulted only in the acquisition of Estonia, rounding out the League expansionary designs on the south shores of the Baltic Sea. The second war resulted in a white peace, the League having little interest in expanding beyond its enclave in Bergen until a land connection with Holstein could be secured. Hesse, however, was a different matter entirely, as it promised to offer both the League and Bavaria with the opportunity to enact a much-planned partition of northern Germany. The Hansa military, led by true geniuses in the art of the siege but also capable cavalry commanders, wrought death and destruction upon the League's Hessian enemies on the open plains of the north of Germany. In these circumstances, only a handful of battles went in the enemy favor, and none as deadly or decisive as those which the League was able to achieve. In the midst of this and a subsequent war, which was necessary due to an unfortunate diplomatic mix-up that resulted in an undesired cessation of hostilities, Friesland, no doubt terrified by the specter haunting central Europe, opted like so many small principalities before it to join with the League. Oldenburg, for its part, accepted an offer of annexation, terminating its decades-old vassalization. Both Magdeburg and Hannover were added into the League, providing a useful buffer between the Hansa capital in Mecklenberg and the rest of Europe.

The League was also forced to intervene on behalf of Poland, helping the League's neighbor to drive the Russian invasion forces out. Some consternation was caused on both sides as a result of a precipitous Hansa exit from the war shortly thereafter, which was itself the result of a misunderstanding about Poland's readiness and ability to sign a peace with these minor states. In any even, Poland emerged victorious in that war and others it was embroiled in, presenting the prospect of a substantial, content southeastern neighbor. Elsewhere, the League members could also take some satisfaction at seeing the grand contest between Scotland and Brittany finally come to a conclusion, and they look forward to hearing of Breton exploits in their long-delayed conquest of a divided and fractious Gaul. Genoa and Asturias, too, seem to have laid solid foundations for the creation of powerful new states, though many eyebrows were raised at the prospect of Byzantium marching up the Danube. How far, one wonders, might New Rome reach? In any event, the Hanseatic League can afford to sit by and spectate as events unfold around it, under the decade-long leadership of the unexpectedly competent Rudolf Hartig. The League might be well-served to see what leaders might await it in the future....

Word count: 752
Reward: -3 inflation

Asturius 1438-1465

We began the session with a surprising twist. Scotland refused white peace!... Actually, this wasn't a surprise, but very in character. Even though the war itself still made very little sense, as far as wanting to keep me involved, he'd made it plain the last time that this was how he wanted it. So I resigned myself to high war exhaustion for the next few years.

Another non-surprise: Al Andalus declared war a month into the game, giving me something to do for a while while waiting for Urko to finish things up with Delian and sign alliance peace. The AI war went like clockwork, with my armies lackadaisically besieging provs while they burned troops dogpiling on a couple provs. The first step here was to sep peace Murcia, so I concentrated sieges on their lands. It took a little while to get the upper hand, because while I sieged Valencia and the one south of that, they were sieging Aragon, and they captured that before I could conclude the two in the south. When they offered me a reasonably large chunk of cash, I accepted it. Received about 150 gold for my troubles, and used it to begin what would eventually become an ambitious naval building program. More on that later.

The next step was to defeat Al Andalus. I was hoping to get a nice chunk of gold in this war, but alas they spent a lot of it, and I think I ended up with between 150-200gold. Still helpful. No need to be overly hasty in expanding.

Next comes the most interesting part of my AAR. The Scots were still not agreeable to peace, so that I could see no way out of the endless non-sense except to build a fleet, and help the Brits finally defeat them. This I could only do slowly, even with my AI tributes, some of which had to repay a loan, and some of which had gone to troop raisings. But slowly, a fleet was raised, and soon the first group of 10 galleys sailed to assist the Brits.

Before continuing, perhaps I should explain why I'm referring to them as the Brits? That answer is simple. I see them as the legitimate lords of Brittania. Not only is it in their name, but they have some credibility as reasonable, peace loving rulers, who other nations can have fair dealings with. By contrast, the King of Scotland appears incapable of compromise, and unwilling to pursue policies except those that plunge neighboring realms into turmoil. The Scottish king does not embody the gracefulness and spirit of a Christian monarch. He is in fact more intractable than a jihadist AI which will, even if it may DOW aggressively here and there, at least restore peace after a reasonable period.

I don't dismiss the Scottish king's claims merely because of his unchristian, flagrantly warlike attitude, though. I do it also because he has supported them with nothing more except a need to sate his own aggressively greedy appetites. Why should Ireland, a nation under the protection of Brittany, become Scottish? There is no justification. The King Urko's claims amount to this: The lands are near to him, and he wants them. That is all. What's to stop him from using that formula to justify other wars?

In any case, I sent my small fleet to Brittany. The Scots had slaughtered the Irish army, and were beginning the occupation of that sorry realm. We had to act soon, lest the war be lost, so I joined his 45 warships, advising him to ferry his army and land it in Scotland, which was no devoid of troops. This he did in the South, and when the Scots tried with their 45 ships to break our naval blockade, they lost the first engagement.

I was preparing meanwhile to send in another fleet, with a modest troop contingent of 10k, half cav/inf. Before they got going, further developments were to happen. England was occupied by Brittany, and sieges commenced in Scotland. Meanwhile, Ireland was occupied, and the Scots began trying to ferry their forces back to England. We stopped the first effort with another naval victory, but then lost the second round. While recharging morale, they slipped their army into Southern England.

At this point, I expected them to come north to take on Brittany, but instead they spread out and began reseiging Southern England. At about this time, my second small fleet sailed north, and, after defeating the Scots fleet again with Brittany, landed in Cornwall, and from there marched to Bristol to take on the 5k that were there.
Unfortunately, the battle went kind of lousy. I inflicted more casualties, but it took too long, and he was able to bring 5k in from the North, who turned it against me. I think that if the results hadn't been so dismal, I could have undermined his liberation attempt, and then Brittany could have marched South and rolled up the rest of their army.

In any case, that confrontation weakened them further, such that we were not far away from achieving a victory. So it seemed, but at that moment, Brittany signed a peace with Scotland. A white peace... They had, I think, stabhitting warscore, and they were, because the British king is such a peaceloving monarch, willing to make a simple and honorable white peace with their foe, rather than demanding some land for the pains inflicted on them.

Alas! The Scots took this peace with one hand, and with the other they gave them the F U sign, and then enforced a devastating peace on poor Ireland, which was deprived of nearly all its land.

I was disappointed. We were so close to beating him, and then, just like that, he had his total victory over us. I thought, though, surely he will at least give me a white peace now? But, no. I received instead a demand for 100 ducats. I should have been more on the alert for a rouse, and checked the terms more closely. I could understand his logic in demanding gold. My WE was still very high, while his was only middling, so I thought, ok, he's making me pay to have my WE lowered. Fine, fine. I made a note to remember this for the next time he's at high WE...Then I noticed that I was still at war with his AI. Scratching my head, I also noticed that they all, without exception, had armies exceeding 50k. And likely with max army sliders. Not something I might take advantage of, so with a sigh I resigned myself to a continuation of the high WE situation.

Since I was going to be staying at war anyway, I thought I might as well have another go against Murcia and Al Andalus. I was at this point more militarily prepared than I'd been in a while vis a vis them. I had a 5 shock leader, with 9 offensive, and a modest cav contingent, plus about 30 galleys, capable of speeding along sieges of coastal cities. So I DOW'd Murcia, the AI whose truce expired first. Al Andalus and Morocco joined them.

This war went fine. They did their usual thing of piling on one prov, and I lay siege to Murcia's provs, winning them quickly, and then made peace for another 150 or so gold plus Valencia. Then tightened the noose on Al Andalus until, after a few defensive battles and then a few decisive cav victories in Andalucia, I gained total victory, taking all their mainland, plus Tangiers, leaving only Cordoba to be completed later.

The war netted me almost enough gold to pay for the tax collectors right away. And the rebel hordes that sprang up after my conversion events in their territory were easily brushed aside by my leader.

Right about that same time, the Scottish kings minions accepted a white peace, so I was finally lowering my WE and could dream of a brighter tomorrow.

The last hour of my session was calm. I spent some of it AFK, preparing to leave, since I had to go early. But then popped back in to do one last war against Al Andalus and Murcia, occupying their capitals and annexing both. It got me into another war with Morocco too, but this one I let off for a small gold tribute. I did, however, take advantage of the opportunity to war tax a little more.

After this war, I had a nice surplus of gold, and considered building a FAA. But first, asked to see what people thought about having a bonus for FAAs again. The concensus seemed to be that we'd give bonuses to stability, like in the last game, but not have any leader bonuses attached. So I began construction on a FAA, and then had to leave the game just a little after it finished.

I also had my liberation of Iberia event a little earlier, which got rid of most of my inflation. I set about replacing that with more inflation, and had about 2.5 at the time when I left. With the money that was coming in, I started building a stronger fleet, in case the Scots should try anything funny, since you never know with such a belligerent leader.

Unfortunately, some logistical issues led to my country being AI'd shortly after I left, which squandered the money that was coming in, so that instead of ending that period with about 1000 ducats, Asturius arrived in 1465 with a few superfluous forts, a failing conversion, a slightly lower composition of cavalry, tech investments spread out instead of concentrated on infrastructure, and 249 ducats. They did lower the inflation a little bit, but I don't think it balances out very well, and would like a few edits to get it in line with what Asturius would have been at.

If I could have the new forts and the conversion removed, and replaced with 700D, some inf changed into cav, inflation restored to what it was going to be at after applying my AAR bonus(I was a few minutes late, so missed the ontime, so I think it would be .5 after the -2 inflation), and maybe about 1500 tech investment of other things shifted into infra.

Alternatively, if you prefer to just do a simple but equivalent edit, maybe just give me 350D? The forts are worth something, even if they're mostly useless, and the extra deflation the AI gave could be considered worth half the value of a war tax(considering I'll still be getting rid of most of my previous inflation with the AAR regardless). Maybe it balances out, between the lost money and the other disruptions...

In any case, would appreciate being edited out of both war, and the AI alliance.

So, edits:

-2 deflation for long, early AAR
-Whatever you decide to do about the AI
-Moorish culture?
-300D into stab, for 5 years with a FAA?

Last edited:
Byzantium 1438-1465​

The empire of Byzantium was growing again, with the fall of the Hungarians early this session the empire controlled most of the Balkans again and could prepare to get rid of the annoying Turkish pest that has been bothering the empire for such a long time,

Plans where set in motions with the concept declaring war on the Turks and annexing those bastards without suffering to much badboy, the idea was to allow my vassals siege the capitols while I laid siege to the other provinces all of which where my cores. Things were going fairly good, I was able to use this system to annex all the ai in 1 war except for 1 little pest who kept refusing separate peace with the empire for its second province, in the end I decided to peace and redow later over that one.

The majority of the capitols where eventually captured and annexed by Hungary and one of them became part of the kingdom of Jerusalem.

Most of the session was fairly calm from the rest of it, shortly after the Turkish wars, Armenia and Georgia where offered vassalized trough clever diplomacy and both of them accepted and joined the alliance.

During the session both Walachia, Moldavia and Albania where diploannexed peacefully into the empire, granting myself greater control over the Balkans, now the only free ai left there is Ragusa.

Infra 3 was achieved during the session giving Byzantium a slight economic boost and with the acquisition of Transylvania the roman empire finally has his own goldmine again, hopefully Armenia will be next after which the empire probably needs some time to get rid of all those pesky Muslims,

There is already some temptation to invade Mecca and medina and burn both cities to the ground or convert them to the true faith for all the century’s of trouble those Muslims caused to the poor Christians in the middle east, and beyond but for now it appears the empire will have to make do with sacking Bagdad some more and punishing any Muslim that dares to attack the empire his vassals.

Later in the session the caliphate had the nerves to attack Jerusalem, a holy Christian city of great importance and of course as they where my vassal I joined the war and defended the holy land, unfortunately the ai did not last long enough to make a glorious aar about it

but give a idea how the war went, the emperor his forces gathered in Syria, about 40 000 cavalry and my shock general, while the caliphate had 45.000 men in Bagdad right next to me, I split the army in half and killed some minor army in Kirkuk, at which point the evil Muslin pigs decided to try to cowardly attack my 20.000 men in Damascus, unfortunately for them the other 20.000 men returned in time for the battle and the entire caliphate army was destroyed on that single glorious battle, 45.000 Muslim scum died for perhaps 5-8000 Greeks, after that it was just a matter of sieging his provinces, cleaning up some minor armies and deciding what to take,

unfortunately I was a bit stupid and I separate peaced a alliance member out so my vassals could annex the 1province that was left and now for some reason I gain 2badboy instead of 1 of I take provinces. Seems like a stupid bug to me. So now the emperor has to decide if he wants to take a lot or only a little from Bagdad to save badboy

Between sessions the true emperor and the duke of Bavaria to the west calling himself some fake emperor of the west had a argument over splitting Hungary up, while I found his threats fairly irritating and threatening I ended up agreeing to let him take the west half of Hungary as long as he stayed far away from Transylvania as that was my only goldmine at the time and I had other things to focus on. It took a lot of complaining from his side but eventually he agreed to it despite claiming it was a unfair deal for ages. While I thought that was the end of it, it seems I will have to be careful with this fake emperor as his greedy eyes seem to grow bigger each session, demanding Ruthenia at session end to which was definatly not a option, the emperor figured if that guy ever gets a border with Transylvania he won’t be able to resist attacking over it. I fear what other targets his greedy eyes have found as he seems to be expanding all over Germany all the way to France now. I gues only time will tell who he attacks first.

about 792 words

-1% inflation ontime
-1.5 inflation aar

Between sessions the true emperor and the duke of Bavaria to the west calling himself some fake emperor of the west had a argument over splitting Hungary up, while I found his threats fairly irritating and threatening I ended up agreeing to let him take the west half of Hungary as long as he stayed far away from Transylvania as that was my only goldmine at the time and I had other things to focus on. It took a lot of complaining from his side but eventually he agreed to it despite claiming it was a unfair deal for ages. While I thought that was the end of it, it seems I will have to be careful with this fake emperor as his greedy eyes seem to grow bigger each session, demanding Ruthenia at session end to which was definatly not a option, the emperor figured if that guy ever gets a border with Transylvania he won’t be able to resist attacking over it. I fear what other targets his greedy eyes have found as he seems to be expanding all over Germany all the way to France now. I gues only time will tell who he attacks first.

Although the True Emperor™ of the Holy Roman Empire does not prefer to share private diplomatic exchanges, he notes that the Emperor (in Constantinople) did indeed promise Ruthenia to the Empire (Holy Roman) and has the diplomatic correspondence to prove it. However, he is happy with the compensation offered from the Emperor (in Constantinople) for Ruthenia and is content to let the matter drop.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't remember last session very well - too many Civilization games during the week :p

POLAND 1438 - 1465 AAR

238_large.jpg

Saint Hedwig Altar
Warsaw National Museum

So, after all Poland did not avoid bankruptacy. Stupid nobles were witholding cash and king was unable to pay the loans in times and after few years Jewish bankers from Antwerp got mad and asked Jews from Krakow to intervene and they went to the king with complains, and all fuss was out, which cause a national riots and the next week everybody knew state has no money... Eh, well all there is to say is that inflation at the moment is 22%...

As for the international diplomacy you may notice that Poles hates Bawarians. Really hate them. They even more hate them cause of the fact that HAL The King is 1/8 Bawarian himself, and he has right claims to all of Germany, but evil Bawarian ruler (who is a Dane not a real German) is luring his people into false believe that he has some rights. Anyway, the Holy Roman Emperor fortunately recognize Polish claims and rights and that is why he gave Kustrin and Berlin to Poland, as a sign of where the politics should lead in the future. From now on the Germans are considered to be Poles in culture too, and they are loved by everyone.

Poles also likes the Hanseatinians (?), after all Krakow is a Hansa Union city and a lot of profit goes trough polish lands. Hansa even helped a little to defeat the bastards of Smolensk, who were trying to steal the Teutons lands, and since Teutons are Poland's vassal it was crime punishable by death. That is probably why, knowing what is prepared for them, the cowards of Smolensk allied Twer, Nowogrod, Ryzan, Halich and some other dirty easterners and did preemptive attack. Fight were hard and really long and left Poland in not so good condition (had like 20 revolts), but in the end the devils alliance was spilted and defeated. Poland is victorious again. TA DA.

But, it is not so important to read about what was happening on eastern border of Poland. What Europe should be focus on is the enormous and unimaginable atrocities that Bawaria is causing during its invasion and expansion into Bohemia and Hungary. It is really scary and soon all of continent will be in danger, as bastards of bawarian viking king are known for they greed and violence. Beware, beware.

On the end of this aar it is good to explain what exactly happened with Berlin and why there are hard tensions between Bayern and Krakow. First of all it was fault of Dane the King to start a chain of events that forced Brandenburg to look for succession in Poland. Than it was Emperors decision, not Polands to merge Berlin and Kustrin, we simply accepted him humble offer. So, what the Poles expect now, is to for Dane the King to wear a coarse sack and on the knees to walk to Berlin with the bag of 350 gold in the teeth, and beg for forgiveness. After that act we might consider giving the keys to the gate back.

-1% inflation ontime
-1.5 inflation aar

Last edited:
Aar Byzantine Empire 1465-1490

The Byzantine empire started the session still at war with the caliphate and in a fake war with the Bavarians, fortunately the caliphate was already occupied so peacing was a matter of demanding the right provinces and the other war it was just waiting for Dane to control of Krain to peace out.
3provinces where demanded from the caliphate, granting me access to western Persia and its famous manufactory of war.

After some time spend lowering war exhaustions I figured it was time to diplo annex Jerusalem, the annexation allowed me to restore the patriarch of Syria granting me cores and the small culture in that area, and it prevents future declarations of war vs them from those muslims
I gave Armenia a try some time after that but they first refused and canceled the vassalage only to be diplovassalized them again right after that and annexed 10years later.

Arround 1469 war was declared on Ragusa which brought in Sicily and Rome against the empire, though this gave Genoa a good change to take out both of those while I spend my effort grabbing Apulia and Ragusa and Corfu. The war vs. Ragusa is was fairly fast and painless, they had no defenses in Ragusa itself and during the invasion of Corfu they failed from the first attempt, allowing me to siege both of those provinces and focus on Sicily for Apulia. In the end Hungary stole my siege in Ragusa so I gave them the honor of annexing them after I took Corfu from them.

For the remainder of the session the empire focused much of its effort rebuilding the army and convert as many provinces as possible with some degree of success mostly in the former Turkish provinces, always knew those bastards where just pretending.
In the end however outside Azerbaijan en a few Turkish provinces the majority still failed horribly, Both Syria and Lebanon failed while samara succeeded, Kirkuk already failed to along with a few other provinces in the area. At the same time Konya and Sivas in turkey did succeed and Transylvania are stubborn little bastards failing several attempts

Some efforts where spend to get a more reasonable tech rate by taking the inno option in random event and going full inno in a historic event it cost me some stab hit but hey might have been worth it, centralized suffered and died a painful death for now due to the similar events.
On the bright side the imperial army is now highly offensive and top quality in the world, and can probably defend the empire against any foe at this time that would dare to attack

Most of the session was spend teching land tech or naval tech or just plain minting and getting my stab back up but progress is slow and painful and I may consider a different path next session in regards to this.

At the end of the session Kaffa was rebel controlled for ages and I was waiting forever before it would defect to the golden horde so I could dow the golden horde myself for a few surrounding provinces, unfortunately this eventually happened during the polish war over the east so the timing wasn’t great but I did my best to avoid to much trouble on the matter and peaced out the moment I could grab the provinces I wanted. Waiting with the war was not really a option as I had no agreement with hal over the region and I wanted to avoid giving hal the idea to take those provinces for himself to.

In the end my action was limited and most of the work was done by Hungary and the other ai in my alliance, I did crush a major army of the golden horde north of astrakhan but outside that major battle all I did was siege Kaffa, Kerch and Crimea and put some effort in sieging astrakhan to steal maps, unfortunately for me Armenia decided to steal the siege and occupy astrakhan himself getting him maps of sibir and some lands in the east, after I controlled the 3provinces I peaced out and withdrew myself. But in the end I still got the maps by diplo annexing Armenia .

For the next session in 2 weeks I have no direct idea what to expect, but I hope byzantine empire can expect some more peace in a effort to rid the world of some more Muslims. Once the empire gets a king with a proper diplomatic value it may be time to annex Hungary to, hopefully the Germans will allow me to live in peace some more after the deal is finished but only time will tell if the great army of the empire will have to defend from the Muslims in the east or from the Germans in Europe

Ontime (early)1.5 deflation

Aar (long+early) 2 deflation

Fine art bonus (60*25) 1500 in stab (got 2 fine arts)

A History of Bavaria: 1465-1490
Reign of Albrecht IV, the Wise, Augustus, Emperor of the Romans,
King of Bohemia and Hungary;
Archduke of Austria;
Duke of Bavaria, Burgundy, Brunswick, Lüneburg, Brabant, Lotharingia, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland, Saxony;
Landgrave of Alsace; Hesse, Thuringia;
Lord of the Wendish March, Pordenone, Mechelen; the cities, towns & lands of Utrecht, Overyssel;

Another Boring AAR Where Nothing Happens

The lead up to this week was rather interesting diplomatically. The annexation of my vassal Brandenburg by the Poles was of grave concern as it was an affront to the Emperor's honor that couldn't be ignored. However, Poland was a considerably weaker power and couldn't honorably be defeated in battle. Imagine a knight in full plate mail dropkicking a bunny. So the Emperor offered to purchase Brandenburg, but met with a demand for Silesia and Kustrin in return. It turns out that the Polish King had been somewhat paranoid after listening to a vicious whisper campaign about the Emperor from parties unknown. He was convinced that the Emperor coveted all his land, and not just Brandenburg. The Polish King felt that Brandenburg was just the first step in a plan to invade and conquer all of Poland. After much negotiation the Emperor was able to convince the King that Brandenburg was rightfully German and it was agreed that it should be returned to the Empire. In exchange some money was gifted to the King of Poland and the right of Poland to the fabled riches of Siberia was guaranteed by the Emperor, even to the point of war with Byzantium should the Romans contest the Polish claim. In addition, the Emperor promised to aid the King in his conquest of the Russian steppe from the Muslim hordes.

Thus, a dishonorable war was avoided and peace safeguarded. Of course, peace is a relative term because in 1465 Bavaria was at war with the Romans and their vassals. As agreed to earlier, the Romans agreed to cede Krain and their vassals ceded Pest. This will make a lovely blue and purple border on the map when Hungary is finally incorporated into the Roman realm. This war took around a year as we waited for the siege of Krain to complete, but the next three decades were spent almost entirely at peace, a nice change from the strife-filled years of earlier rulers. Indeed, Albrecht IV was wise.

Peace was used to diplo annex Luxembourg and Bohemia, adding five new provinces to the Emperor's direct control, but also adding the first schismatics: Hussites in Bohemia. Money was immediately set aside to convert them, despite rather low odds of success. After over a decade of inquisition, Bohemia, Erz and Sudeten all returned to the Catholic fold and Bavaria once again found itself unified in purpose as well as religion.

In the 1470s, despite several bad random events (bad government policies, indulgence peddlers, etc.) trade tech 3 was finally reached after decades of investment. This allowed our merchants, who had been struggling, to finally gain the upper hand in European centers of trade. In fact, they even managed to monopolize some centers of trade, if only briefly. Albrecht IV saw how successful trade tech three had been, so decided to continue to trade tech four, completed after another decade or so. The University of Heidelberg had been boosting infrastructure tech fairly consistently, so infrastructure three was halfway done when trade four finished. Trade four has made Bavarian merchants very wealthy, allowing them to secure five slots in every center of trade currently known and monopolies in five of those.

I had planned to invest in land tech after completing trade four, but a brief glance at everyone's tech levels showed only John making good progress toward land tech nine, meaning I had an opportunity to push my economic advantage. In 1490 infra tech three was completed and an extensive brewery program was undertaken. I had saved up nearly seven thousand ducats by keeping my army relatively small and levying war taxes during the war with the Golden Horde and Sibir. That proved to be enough for eight breweries, but I think I might have built some in provinces which receive manufactories through event later.

To backtrack a bit, we had planned to hit the Golden Horde fairly early in the session, in order to forestall any attempt by Drake to cut off Siberia, but HAL's family came over so that got delayed. Luckily, Drake either really didn't plan on taking Siberia, or Bavarian guarantees had swayed him so he didn't make a move in that direction while HAL was distracted. The war finally got underway in 1480, and 20,000 cavalry under my 5shocker lead the vanguard and killed most of Golden Horde's army and reinforcements. Another 20,000 mounted Bavarians under the command of a Polish leader stayed to defend Polish territory and ended up killing around 75,000 Mongols in several battles. After several years the war was completed, with Poland and its vassals nearly securing the Siberian corridor. One more war should do it.

Overall a solid session for Bavaria. Germany was finally consolidated, and earlier tech choices finally paid dividends.

801 Words (not including titles)

Rewards: Ontime and early/long AAR
Core on 328 (early/long AAR, 2 next session)
-1 / -1.5inflation (ontime) As I understood it ontime gives one point of deflation, but drake claimed 1.5. If I missed a ruling somewhere 1.5, otherwise 1.

Reset Hansa's and Brittany's land sliders.
People are colonizing already, can we please add a colonial culture :confused:

Last edited:

1465-1490

„Papal mandate”​

As it turned out, the Southern French coalition did not consider the Milanese and Savoyan merger into Genoa binding and began marching troops against The Most Serene Republic in early 1465. This proved to be a fatal mistake for them, as Asturias and Brittany have long been waiting for an opportunity like this to tear apart this tyrannical confederation. While the Southern French armies bled dry in the Genoese Alps, the Bretons and Asturians invaded their homeland. Languedoc was forced to cede 2/3 of their provinces to Asturias as early as 1467, while a year later they agreed to become a Genoese client state. Despite losing most of their armies’ strength in the initial openings, Auvergne was back on assaulting Dauphine. Despite facing impossible odds, the last French army kept beating back the Genoese cavalry. However, they couldn’t keep up the repeated attacks by Genoa and they were finally destroyed on the plains around Lyon once and for all.

In 1468 they gave up Gascogne to Asturias and a few months later they paid Genoa for peace. However, this didn’t stall the Breton grip on them, and in late 1469 they were forced to give up Most of the provinces to Brittany. Before 1470 Brittany finally looked like a viable entity in Gallia. This affair against the Southern French was not planned for Genoa, and sadly it managed to reduce the standing army to a portion of its former glory. There was no time to rest though, as the Byzantine emperor was already inviting Genoa to war as early as October 1469. The Most Serene Republic’s new targets were the Papal States and Sicily. Because the Byzantines were at war for a few months already, most of the AI troops have already thrown themselves to their deaths against the Imperials. Still, the Pope kept a large band of mercenaries around Rome numbering up to (and over) 20,000 troops.

Since these mercenaries were camping in open plains, 15,000 Genoese knights were enough to utterly destroy their positions. With that magnificent victory, the siege of Rome finally began. Little more than half a year later Paulus II was forced to accept the Genoese terms. 125 ducats were to be paid for the Republic in exchange of the protection of the Papal States by Genoese troops. A few years later Sicily was defeated as well. Apulia was ceded to the Imperials, while Messina to the Republic. In addition, Sicily itself was to become a client state of Genoa.

Following the war, it was time for improving the economy. A decision was taken decades earlier that after researching infrastructure 3, the Republic will focus on naval tech to gain an edge in exploration that was surely to come in the next century. According to this, Genoa promptly teched up to NT7. At this point a short period of minting followed to enable the construction of four refineries. The delay in reaching NT9 was an affordable one, as even on this slightly slower track Genoa reached NT9 before any Genoese would even consider sailing into the unknown for about two decades. After NT9 all of the Republic’s resources were to be shifted into investing new methods for efficient trading, akin to the Bavarian techniques.

Meanwhile, after about 14 years of Genoese protection Rome’s status were to be changed for good. In 1484 the Pope at the time accepted the Genoese diploannexation proposal and Rome became part of the Republic, and Genoa, in effect, became the papal controller. In game terms it means that some of the Papal States’ events are now firing for Genoa. As for now, this might have unforeseen consequences. Soon after the annexation an event fired that required the Doge to pick a cardinal, and as far as we can tell, Genoa went with the reformist option, putting the course of religion into question for the future.

Following Rome’s submission, Sicily gave in as well and accepted Genoese supremacy. This merger was followed by an event that granted cores on Sicily, much to the surprise of the Doge. This left Languedoc as the only client state left to the Republic. Its fate, however, is not tied to Genoa, as rumours have it that a Breton delegation arrived to negotiate the future status of Montpellier. If Brittany offers a good enough deal, then Genoa would be willing to let its Occitan clients renegotiate their fate with their Breton neighbours.

In the last years of the session, the navy was strengthened and brought up to a size comparable with Hansa and Asturias. However, this was purely a defensive measure. Rumours have it that a certain Genoese citizen is drawing up plans for the exploration of the unknown beyond Asturias, so the Republic have no time nor interest to deploy its high-tech navy on offensive endeavours.

icbAsUk.png

Genoa and her possessions in 1490.

Words: 803

Reward:

-2 BB
-1 inflation for ontime (can this be turned into -1BB? If yes than I'd like that)

FAA bonus: 30*25 in stab (750) I guess, provided we get it for all the years even if the FAA wasn't there from start. I got the FAA with Rome in 1484.

Last edited:
Asturius 1465-1490

1465-1475: A time of disappointment.

The last Scottish war had nearly been won. But for the Bretons losing their nerve, we were not far from defeating the Scottish army, after which they would have had nowhere to retreat to, since most of their land was already occupied. Oh well... Since then, I'd put a lot of money into expanding my fleet, with the aim of liberating the lands they stole from my ally, and avenging myself for the rude treatment I'd received at their hands over the last 30 years(See the two previous AAR entries).

In the last session, I'd increased my galleys to about 82 ships. Right away, in this session, I began a further increase. But first, in junction with Genoa and Brittany, I participated in the partition of Lanquedoc and Auvergne, coming into possession of my claims in those lands- Gascogne, Roussilon, and Gerona.

Having raised a bit more money during the war, I aggressively continued the building program throughout, and within a few years, had a whopping 140 galleys. In talks with Delian, it was agreed that we'd try to take back his claims in Ireland within a couple years of conclusion of the Auvergne war. I had my fleet ready, with a 645 admiral, which meant that, against Scotlands 80-90 ships, all I needed was one decent roll, and one victory, and their fleet would be utterly broken. Alas! The dice had other things in mind.

Delian sent the declaration, and I spearheaded the attack, with 30 inf and 30 cav loaded on my fleet. My fleet, strengthened now to 150 ships, encountered the Scots 90 ships off the coast of Wales. The dice favored them and, though I inflicted more losses, things came about even. That critical roll having eluded me once, I sailed up again once my morale recovered somewhat. They moved away, and Brittany, joining me, unloaded some occupying forces into Ireland. Then the Scots returned with their ships, and won another startling victory, again defying the odds.

I wasn't worried too much about this. They unloaded an army, and then sailed into their port. We sailed North, and I dropped my 30k cav force off. Delain fought a battle with the Scots army in Southern Ireland, and I joined in, and we destroyed it along with its leader. Then the Scottish fleet came out and we, with our combined 140 ships(they had 35, and I still had about 105), against their 80, lost yet another battle. Still the elusive "good roll" was nowhere to be found. Had I gotten one, just one decent roll, with my 645 admiral, and preponderant numerical advantage, he would've been dead in the water. But alas, it was not to be.

A few months before this, Hansa League diplomats had been sticking their noses in, saying that we should drop demands for Ireland, which was completely ridiculous. Haven't they got better things to do? They allow Bavaria to conquer almost literally all of Germany without batting an eye, but then when I try to liberate a territory that was stolen from one of the weakest countries int he game, they feel a moral imperative to come and stop us? Outrageous.

It was really not possible to process the demands of the Hansa, in the midst of also carrying on the war, which was still only one good die roll away from becoming a victory. Soon enough of course, the Hansa had their fleet in sight. When I saw them a sea zone south of our fleet off the coast of Wales(that's the place we retreated to after the last uninspiring series of die rolls), I ordered the charge south against Hansa. They lacked home waters, had fewer ships, and an inferior admiral. The advantage was still mine, and there was every chance that we would inflict a defeat here that would allow us to still win the war. I had, besides, some 20 ships of naval reinforcements closing in from the South, but alas. Did I get a halfway decent set of dice? No, I did not.

Meanwhile, Scotland had landed a large cavalry force in Ireland, killing the infantry that Brittany had landed before, and then slaughtering most of my cav army. The 5 shock leader was on the run. It was at this time that a peace was brokered.

It was nice that Hansa still arbitrated a peace granting the two French territories under Scotland and Norway to Brittany, but I still found this very disappointing, and the meddling of another into our feud with Scotland left a very bitter aftertaste. Needless to say, it will not be forgotten.

As part of the peace, a 20 year NAP was signed with Scotland, on request by Urko. People reading this may remember that a couple sessions ago, when I was being held hostage to my high WE by the Scots, without the least provocation except maybe a desire by Urko to still revenge himself for me seizing the Lenape at the start of the last game, something he apparently didn't get out of his system even after 200 years of plaguing me in that game- well, at that time I also offered him a NAP. I had no reason to want war with him, but he chose to provoke me until I came after him. Wasn't it inevitable, Urko, that if you kept me at war long enough, that I would eventually gather my forces and do something about it? You lucked out in the first war, and you lucked out majorly in the second war. You've been playing with fire by pointlessly antagonizing me. You should thank the stars that it didn't result in a very big disaster for you.

The Rest of the Session: 1475ish-1490

At some point, I reached infra 3, and built two refineries. Then, I made a deal with Delian to annex Burgundy for him in exchange for him attacking Morocco for me. I wanted to expand into Morocco so that I could go from there into Mali, and grab those juicy gold mines. It was a more costly deal for him after all his BB events starting firing, but still worth it I guess, since it got him a cot right away without costing an additional 6 BB.

The Morocco was just another rote AI war. They had Algiers with them, so I occupied them first, and then finished with the Moroccans. Haven't peaced yet, but I'll do so at the beginning of next session.

I've been mostly teching LT since getting infra 3. As a result, it looks like I'll be getting LT 9 well ahead of everyone else, which opens some interesting possibilities. However, it's really hard to say what shape the next session will take.

Now, here is the Asturian take on all the other major powers of the game. I have these rated from weakest to strongest.

Poland: I know very little about Poland, except that Hal is playing it. However, I think that that is all that I really need to know. There is going to be some crazy stuff happening there, and it's going to be entertaining to watch. It looks however like it'll be a little rough getting rid of all that inflation. It's unfortunate because we really need to have strong counters to the Bavarian juggernaut, and I don't know if Poland will be up to it.

Asturius has no dealings with Poland, but wishes them the best in consolidating the east under their care. I hope to see Poland grow into a reasonably potent counter to Bavaria and Byzantium in the east, but it's hard to imagine that happening anytime soon.

Brittany: A country that has suffered tremendously, between battling coalition after coalition of ruthless, high quality AI forces, to being, during his weakest moment, taken advantage of and then kept at war for over a decade by Scotland, resulting finally in the loss of all overseas possessions. This country has suffered terribly, and continues to be extremely vulnerable, even after consolidating most of the Gallic region. He borders the most powerful country in the game, which, if it wanted to, could effortlessly cut through his defenses. It faces terrible existential insecurities, and needs considerable foreign support in order to maintain its integrity.

Asturius considers Brittany an ally, and will stand by it against any who try to undermine it further. Why is this? First of all, unlike most, I don't mind Delian's singing. Secondly, I think we need a viable Gallic country to counter-act other imbalances which have grown up in Europe. Thirdly, we shared, for a time, in suffering under the aggressions of Scotland, and these tribulations have brought us together.

Scotland: Scotland seems to be doing rather well. They've united all the British isles, pissing off two of their neighbors in the process, but have gotten away with it thanks to disgusting luck, and the misguided sentimentality of the Hansa leadership. They're the first ones to reach the new world, and have a small collection of refineries going. It looks like they'll be on track for healthy economic development. However, I would rate their monarchs diplomacy at about 1 or possibly 2.

Asturius does not like Scotland.

Hansa League: Hansa is on a good economic track, with two cots, competitive tech, and the second highest trade income. They also have currently the largest fleet. They have, besides, a large tract of land to the north that they will probably be able to digest at a leisurely pace, since no other power is in a position to really get at any of it. In terms of economic power, and naval power, their potential is as good as anyone's. However, they have serious problems when it comes to army power. Their manpower is abysmal, and their holdings on the continent are glaringly vulnerable.

Asturius sees the Hansa as a potential partner. However obnoxious their recent intervention, I have to admit they were reasonable in how they brokered the peace in that war, and one can work with them. We would rather not butt heads, as there is really nothing for us to fight over, and there are more pressing concerns elsewhere.

Genoa: Having united most of Italy, Genoa could be considered a first rate power. They have high MP, a high income base, and decent enough naval support. It's not enough to make them a match for their neighbors Bavaria or Byzantium, but in the future, this combined with their central position, set between these two, will give them a lot of influence in major conflicts.

However, its out of areas to expand to in Europe, and none of its neighbors are easy pickings. It seems that its level of success will be decided outside of Europe.

Asturius considers Genoa an important bulwark against the growth of the two titans to North and East.

Byzantium: This country has limitless potential. To the east, they can just keep going and going, and nobody is in a position to stop this. So as the game continues, it's possible that we'll see a gradual shift in power toward the Byzantines, even if their pace of growth is somewhat restrained by their badboy.

They also have the most impressive leader file in the game. What does this mean to everyone else? Those of us whose leaders will consist almost entirely of the two leaders we get per session will be at a serious disadvantage to them most of the time. Their leader coverage gives them about 2.5 leaders with 5 stats per century, so practically every other session, they're going to have an uber at their disposal.

This is a very formidable built in feature that will make it challenging for most powers to contend with them, considering the pool for most others is far less inspiring.

Economically and militarily, they're quite strong. However, in their economy, they're a lot weaker than Bavaria, and in the early game, when nobody is strong enough to make full use of their manpower pool, this is a very important factor, and is why I rate them as second strongest.

Asturius has no quarrels with Byzantium, and can foresee none. We're just too far away. But that doesn't mean we don't have things to talk about. Asturius sees Byzantium, as one of the two superpowers, as an essential player in maintaining the balance of power.

Bavaria: This country has done an excellent job of gathering momentum and then running with it. They've united almost all of the German culture provs, which encompasses a massive amount of territory on this map. As a result, they have the second highest manpower. But its not just about culture. They have simply managed to expand a lot more than most countries, such that they have over forty European provs. Unlike many countries, they appear to have not had any serious trouble with AI in the early years of their expansion, and the process in general appears to have been about as efficient as it could have been in SP.

On top of this, they have trade four, and a budding income from trade that gives them almost twice as much monthly income as the next contender. Overall, their economic and military power mean they stand head and shoulders higher than every other country, except perhaps Byzantium.

Asturius doesn't feel directly threatened by Bavaria, but is still affected by their preponderance. It's a very awkward, uncomfortable situation when you have a country that could, if it wanted to, very easily seize large swathes from its neighbors. Only broad, concerted support would be able to stop them from overwhelming the most vulnerable, such as the Hansa, Brittany, or Poland. And even then, it'd be hard to guaranty.

In a situation where the weaker parties must be constantly fearful of the actions of the strongest party, and where the strong must be constantly tempted by the prey lying before him, one must ask: how long will this tension last?

Edits: Ontime + long, early AAR: 3.5 deflation(If I understand the bonuses right)
FAA bonus: 30*25 = 750 to stab

Last edited:
An History of Celtic Union, or Scotland from 1438 to 1490

So the struggle continued. What would happen next? Last time we left this in a sort of 'stalemate', with Brittany controlling the seas and Scotland controlling the islands.

This would keep for very long, with Leinster and Cornwallis occupied by Combined Inglis-Gaelic regiments from Central and Northern Britain. Meanwhile, in the main cities of Scotland, all the economic and sweat based effort was slowly moving to the construction of a modern navy. "Modern", meant galleys rather than the start transports. By 1438, the early war efforts had already built some 30 ships, but the numbers would slowly go up. Eventually, our navy would be more or less equal in numbers with Brittanic navy, and we had a decent admiral to count on a minor advantage to break the blockade.

Of course, Brittany would fight this struggle, and so the campaign did continue. In France, minors kept raiding, while Norwegians did gather some warscore. So we did land into Eire after some naval struggles in the channel, where the dices moved in favour of British unity (May the islandic Druids be thanked!). Eire was taken, and soon after, Brittany attempted a landed, which was expelled. Then, we moved towards Normandy -then Brittany- itself, as more enemies did flock too. Brittany eventually decided to reoffer Cornwallis, an offer which bot of us would have considered unatractive previously, now seemed a good agreement after an ardous combat. This convinced their Irish vassals to cease the fight, and only Dublin and Leinster would remain outside our reach once peace was concluded.

A few years later, Brittany would finally start its long due task to unify the Gauls under Druidic control, and we took the chance. We assaulted in the middle of the night, taking Dublin and Leinster by surprise, which weakened their garrison. Also, we had built more ships this time. Brettonics fought very hard, outnumbered by the big flock of troops from my vassals, until they eventually had to accept the end of their presence in the Emerald island after foreign mediation.

Accept? Not really... Brettonics wanted those green fields, and would not drop the claims.... Overnight, we'd get another spoon of war with a dow from Brettons. Full of allies, an inmense navy appeared next to our coast, where we were outnumbered 140 to 70 ships. Still, our skillfull admiral managed to kick back their navy twice, at great mutual cost. This would be intensive, wouldn't it?

We knew the next step: The international mediators had to end this endless madness we had carried for decades, so we knocked the European courts, finding the usual generosity of the Hansa merchants to be the most sincere of them all again. Their navy would now seal towards us, and joined in the last second to a battle that, this time, was really stretched for our men, morale wise. Their defeat was crushing. Then came many more naval victories and a fast landing on Eire, that began to clean it out from enemies. But, before this task could be concluded, Hansa stated their point of view: They would force Brettonics to accept British islands -including Eire- were to be a Scottish area and not a Brettonic one, but we'd compensate the loss of such dream giving them the cornerstone of the new, reborn, Druidic France. Begrudgingly, peace was concluded on our part. We'd lose 2 provinces for the victory, even if our previous war we could have taken all of Brittany was it not out of international mediation, even if we attempted to sell it for a price much lower than a war, even if we had offered those the moment the war had begun, but they wanted all of our Eire instead :(..
At least, temporary peace was finally attained.

And Scotland could, for the first time, begin to trade with its small resources, and begin to claim all the small kingdoms in the islands that were already our vassals, until there was a de-facto unity under the Scottish state of the whole islands. These would include the kingdoms of York, who accepted gladly to join (they were ruled by a nearby branch, the Percys, a distant relative branch of the Scottish throne) after some bribes and Wessex, ruled by the last saxons in the area and the last descendant of old Southern Britain after the Saxon-Roman age. Taking over York would mean we'd prefer to move our capital to the area, as the trade routes internally used it as middle point, which made it a perfect new location for a capital.

Welsh would not be so easy. We had taken them interwar many years before, after a revolt deposed our cousin dinasty there, giving us a core claim on the area. We'd start a long war against them, which ceased with a white peace after their army proved strong. A few years later, we'd attempt to get our claim again, by assault. Their armies were lucky once. Their armies were lucky twice. But... They'd not be lucky for a third time... And a long siege ensued. It would be endless as another war had begun, and naval support was fully unavailable, but it eventually allowed us to annex it.

Rewards:
- 3 inflation.