• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35742)

Second Lieutenant
Oct 30, 2004
The Ministry of Social Services
The Ministry That Never Sleeps

Deparments
Sporting Development and Recreation
Health and Pharmaceuticals
Drug Control
Social Wealfare and Services

The Ministery of Social Servivces is Located in the heart of Eutopia City. Each of the floors are split up into departments which deal with things such as drug control, social security, health and sports.

On the top floor you shall find the Office of the Minister of Social Services. Any person wishes to discuss a matter with the minister can do so between the hours of 7pm to 12pm and 1pm to 9pm, note though that people who make an appiontment will get priority over those with out.

Last edited:
A letter arrives for the new Minister of Social Services.
Mr. Edward Braxton
Minister of Social Services

Dear Sir:

I wish to apply for the position of head of the Eutopian Pension Control Board, as described in the Eutopian Pension Plan Reform Act. Please find attached a copy of my resume. I have a masters of business administration from the Zwicklin School of Business at Baruch College of the City University of New York, work experience in structured finance for a NY investment bank and as stock market analyst writing for Peer's Quarterly Economic Review. Please let me know if it would appropriate to drop by your office for an interview.

Respectfully,

Braxton looks over Reverend Woodrow's resume, ses that every think is in check and asks his Secretary to get in contact with the Reverend in order to arange an suitable interview time.

Woodrow Park, wearing a business suit and tie, goes to the Ministry of Social Services, and speaks to the receptionist after clearing security.
"My name is Woodrow Park. I have an appointment to see the Minister about the position with the Pension Control Board."

The receptionist shows Reverend Woodrow into the ministers office.

Reverend Woodrow good to see you would you like some tea or coffee before we get the interview underway?

"I'm fine, thank-you Minister, no coffee or tea for me."

He takes a piece of paper out of a slim folio and offers it to the minister.

"Here is another copy of my resume, if you need one. One thing it doesn't mention is that I was just elected as a legislator for the ELP. Would present a potential conflict?"

I do not think that it would present a conflict of interest as the job is not really linked to the running of the GA, so no. Looking over your resume you seem to have the right training and back ground for the job and also you have the right moral back ground also being a reverned and all so people would also have more trust that you are doing the right thing.

So I think you might just have the job

"Thank-you very much, Minister. I think the additional savings opportunities in the EPPRA have been undersold, and that the investments can be directed, within the guidance provided, to not only provide better returns for the beneficiaries but also to stimulate economic growth here in the UPE. That is just a favorable by-product, because the main reason is that growth in incomes here will generally improve the performance of our other investments. I will report back to you regularly on developments. Thank-you again for the confidence you have placed in me."

So it works by helping peoples pensions grow and also help the Eutopian economic at the same time that is excellent.

"If the investments, as a whole, provide reasonable returns. If they don't then you find someone else who selects them better, although most of the individual selections will be made by full time managers, so the board's job is making sure there are good managers on the job, much like yours. I know you must be busy settling in, so I will let you get to it."

Woody stands, shakes the Minister's hand, and departs.

Braxton sends out a letter to Topan Community leaders

Dear Sir/Madam

I a Major Edward Braxton minister of social services and I would like you self to join me and other Topan community leaders in a conference at the ministry in adressing the needs of the Eutopian Topan communities and what I can do in my role as Social Service's minister to adress these needs. You shall find the ministires number enclosed with this letter so please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards Major Edward Braxon Minister of Social Services

Representatives of various Topan tribes arrive at the appointed time, curious as to what Minister Braxton has in mind.

Hello I am Major Edward Braxton. now the reason I have called you here today is that I want to help you the Topan community. As I have noticed that the Topans do not really have much of voice and unlike other groups I can't go to Cathgro Nova to find out what they need and what they want from their governemnt.

So I have called you here the Topan Community leaders to to tell me the problems which you have seen in the Topan community and how in my role as minister for social services and your role as community leaders we could work together to help the Topan people.

Last edited:
(OOC: As mentioned in the first post of Carthago Nova, any other SIG you need to contact will magically appear there. ;) We'll continue this here for now, though.)

"Our problems are the same as they have always been," grumbles Old Ben Kuravas, looking exceptionally grizzled in his red-and-black woodsman's flannel. "Silenced by the Anglos, our culture ridiculed or destroyed..."

"What my cousin Kuravas means," Anthony Jandos A'rai interrupts smoothly, "is that many of the same problems which have always plagued the Topan people continue today. Many of our people have been given limited opportunities, and traditional practices such as fishing remain a crucial part of our economic framework -- a framework that is now threatened by expansion of the oil interests in Western Eutopia. Oh, of course, that brings wealth, but the U.S. oil companies would rather import trained oil workers than use local Topan labor."

"If this new port is opened in Western Eutopia, how long is it until an oil tanker crushes one of our fishing boats?" Kuravas growls. "It's not like we have radio or GPS out there."

"And, uh, that only serves to, um, to highlight the serious, ah, systemic problems that exist," stammers the youthful Maxwell Parle Bleu, shifting nervously in his chair.

"Indeed," says A'rai, seamlessly rejoining the conversation. "Federalism hasn't been kind to the Topa. Roads are few and far between. Schools are terrible. They're talking about new infrastructure, but it's to get the oil, not help the people. The fact remains that our communities are poor, so our local taxes can't pay for good schools, or roads, or fire departments, or any of the other things a modern community needs. Add to that a general lack of interest in our culture from outside the Topa community itself, and you can understand why most of our people feel disaffected from the national Anglo majority."

"Not Queen Maria, though," says Parle Bleu quickly.

"No, no, of course not. She's been a godsend," says A'rai.

*A note on official General Assembly-letterhead arrives for the Minister from the parliamentary office of Jerome Vandelft*

General Assembly
Office of J. Vandelft, MGA
Party of Liberty

Re: Budget/ education allocations

Sir,

as you will be aware, the General Assembly is currently debating a budget for Term XIII. In aid of these discussions, I was wondering if you could be kind enough to clarify for the Assembly what purposes some of the funds allocated to your Ministry have been used for in the past. Specifically, I would appreciate it if you could clarify the use of funds allocated to education in Term XII (amounting to 4% of federal expenditure). The usage of these funds has raised some questions in the General Assembly, due to the fact that Article I.1.b. of the Constitution assigns exclusive jurisdiction over educational matters to the provinces (although this seems somewhat at odds with Article II.1.g.).

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience.

Yours faithfully,
Jerome Vandelft
MGA

Last edited:
Braxton excuses him self from the Topans.

"Josephine could you get someone to get hold of some data about where our budget money went to before the coup happned."

OOC: Sorry, forgot that we're not using absolute dollar figures for the budget anymore; will change the previous post to percentages. :)

A memo reaches Major Braxton's Desk.

It reads:
Cabinet Meeting on Drug Control.
Come when you can.
~ J.R. Zhokhyen

O'Floinn comes by to meet with Braxton.

"Major, I have a proposition for you. It's about welfare. I've been thinking about some possible reforms. Basically, we give vouchers for certain goods, such as food and clothing, in place of the portion of welfare money meant to be used for these goods. We'd effectively be purchasing these goods wholesale from selective companies, who will then hold them for us, and accept welfare vouchers in place of cash. These companies will be chosen by their bids, which will be received by your office. My aim is to increase the efficiency of the welfare system by both cutting costs through wholesale purchasing of the desired goods, and by preventing welfare recipients from wasting money on alcohol, drugs, or gambling.

"Now, before that can be done, we'd need to figure a few things out. Basically, we need to know what goods this will apply to, what percentage of welfare money is meant for these goods, and how effective this would actually be at cutting costs. Your staff has the expertise in this area, so I'd have to leave the analysis of the situation in your capable hands. If my plan is validated, I'll shortly be drafting legislation to empower your office to do this.

"What's your take on this?"