• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aide: Excuse me, Mr. Churchill. Your new hat has arrived.
Churchill: Roar! Me angry!
*Churchill proceeds to burn the aide alive with his fire blast*

6. Shame this Government into realising its obligations on points 1 – 5.

I think Churchill might want to start on this point and work his way backwards.

Chapter 30, Dunkirk, 28 May 1940

NewPicture15-2.png

John Standish Surtees Prendergast Vereker, 6th Viscount Gort, stared at the long dejected lines of British infantry who patiently waited in files on the dunes for the Navy to collect them. As Generals Alexander and Franklyn chatted with the German officers Gort reflected on how absurdly easy the last few hours had been. After the tribulations and horrors of this campaign the evacuation had seemed the last straw. With Ramsay and his meagre assets promising to lift only a small portion of his army Gort had despaired at the fate of the others. And then, without warning, the Prime Minister had done a deal. Promised God knows what to Hitler and Mussolini in order to get the Army, all of them, home. The Germans noted with interest the wrecked artillery piece that Alex was languidly gesturing towards as he explained the measures taken to comply with the ceasefire. Well, Gort had done his bit and had been civil to the krauts. But he wouldn’t make small talk and certainly wouldn’t dine with them as Alex had suggested. If they, and here Gort was thinking of the tired, dirty troops waiting for the ships to come back, didn’t eat, he wouldn’t. Waving to Alex to warn him that he was leaving, Gort responded grumpily to the crisp salutes of the German officers and walked away. Sliding slightly on the sand he looked at over the Channel and through his field glasses saw the latest wave of Naval craft coming in to rescue them. They were safe.

[Game Effect] – the BEF returns to Blighty. The first (and best) tangible gain from the ceasefire is the safe trip home, in a very different Dunkirk, for Britain's army.

El Pip: I like your reasoning.

Kurt_Steiner: Update on the peace coming up.

Trekaddict::rofl:

Atlantic Friend: Indeed, without the need to safeguard the Channel Ports against a hostile Britain, Germany can afford (politically) to woo the French. As you have said, the economy is key.

Nathan Madien: :D

Enewald: Churchill is just trying to safeguard refugees.

Oh, and Röhm was only trying to guard everyone with his SA? :D

Anyways, what is wrong with brits.
If they lose a fight, a war, they become martyrs. :confused:

Anyways, what is wrong with brits.
If they lose a fight, a war, they become martyrs. :confused:

This is definitely a far cry from the American Revolution, when they charged up Breeds Hill three times and sustained heavy losses in the process. Now...they are Frenchy.

Last edited:
Chapter 31, Downing Street, 29 May 1940

NewPicture16-2.png

The final wording of the peace settlement had been received. Halifax and Butler had discussed it and agreed wholeheartedly. With Cabinet consent they would put the Treaty to both Houses (Halifax had decided to announce it himself to the Lords, whilst Butler would brief later to the Commons) and explain the terms that Germany and Italy had laid down. As the members of the cabinet filed in and took their seats Halifax knew that he had only to win this meeting for the peace to be accepted.

“Gentlemen, good morning. I will begin by thanking you all for attending me at such short notice. The Italian and German ambassadors have both called and we have, between us, finalised Britain’s acceptance of the peace treaty.” The cabinet, their interest piqued, waited for Halifax to continue.

“In essence the situation will continue as it is. We will not contest Germany’s territorial acquisitions in Europe and they will guarantee the independence of the British Empire and Commonwealth. Along with this treaty, the Treaty of Milan, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom will sign a non-aggression agreement for ten years’ duration, with further extensions as seen fit by the three governments.” Halifax paused. Gulping down the very hot tea he turned the page and continued.

“In order to ensure our compliance in this agreement we will demilitarise our establishments in Malta and Gibraltar.” Churchill was aroused, furious. Ignoring him, Halifax struggled on. Atlee sat with eyes closed and fingers steepled.

“All territory ceded by Germany by the Treaties of Versailles will be restored to her. We will accept the errors made in 1919 and agree to Germany regaining her rightful territory. These territories will not be used for military purposes in line with the guarantee of independence offered to the British Empire.”

“There is something else. Italy can, and does, expect her role in bringing peace to Europe to be recognised. Italy renounces her claim to Malta and will, in return, receive minor territorial concessions in Africa. It is expected that Italy may gain colonial territory from Germany, though that is a matter for their governments to resolve. Sicily and Sardinia will not be militarised. There will be no financial reparations. The large volume of BEF supplies still in France will not be returned but will be used legitimately by the Wehrmacht as replacement for those consumed in the Battle of France.”

“Finally, His Majesty’s Government will agree to recognise the whatever weplaces the current French government as the legitimate Government of France. In accordance with our recognition of German territorial conq-” Halifax stopped himself from saying ‘conquests’, “acquisitions we will not support any French or other partisan activity against the lawful government. First Lord, you wish to interject?” Churchill had chuckled at the word ‘lawful’.

“Not at this stage, Prime Minister. Pray, go on.”

“Most kind, Mr Churchill. We will not harbour or give aid to any parties preparing acts of aggression against the German Reich. Nor will any such parties preparing action against the British Empire be sheltered in Germany or Italy. I think that’s everything. Deputy Prime Minister?”

“Apologies, My Lord. One question really: any arms limitations?” Halifax shuffled through the papers.

“Erm, yes. None of the treaty powers will be prevented from making such military expansion or deployment that is deemed necessary for defence or action against a power not subject to the provisions of this treaty, subject to the requirements of Articles 5 and 6. Hmmn, that must be the bit about Gibraltar. But a sensible pwovision for all. Indeed, I think the nation will support an honourable peace such as this,” Haliax paused as for the first time in this meeting he looked directly at Churchill. "Ah, I think this is a convenient moment for a short adjournment. First Lord, would you please join me for a moment?”

After the last of the Cabinet had left, Churchill turned to Halifax. He was boiling with rage. Pounding his fist on the table he growled with anger. “Edward, you must not do this! Can’t you see? They’re after the Med. Gibraltar abandoned, Malta defenceless; that would leave us naked in the Mediterranean. Where could we put our Fleet? The route to India, the Orient, wide open for Mussolini to seize! You cannot do this!”

“First Lord,” Halifax began sternly. “I can and I will. And I will require every member of my cabinet to accept this treaty.”

Churchill shook his head. Picking up a copy of the agreement he flicked through the sheets. “But giving them the colonies they lost gives them striking bases all over the world! How can you be so shortsighted?”

“They have given their word. Hitler doesn’t want the Empire!”

“No? You’re giving him one out of the kindness of your heart are you?”

“First Lord. Winston. Be reasonable. This is an agreement amongst gentlemen. Ciano, Ribbentrop, Rab, all of them are resolved to make a lasting peace for all of Europe. We tried war and were soundly thwashed. It is reasonable to expect the weaker party to make a gesture towards peace.”

“And France?”

“They will make their peace. They have shown how much worse it could be. Imagine, a shattered Britain? Mosley leading a defeated Britain as a Nazi satellite?” Halifax shuddered. “What would you have me do?”

“Fight! If you fought as hard for victory as you did for Munich, and now Milan, we would be marching to Berlin!”

Halifax was exasperated. This was the moment both had dreaded yet expected, the moment where they would part irrevocably. “They’ve given their word. We can rely on that.”

“As you and Neville found out last year,” Churchill said tartly.

“Am I to take it, First Lord, that you will vote against the Treaty of Milan in Parliament?”

“You are, Prime Minister,” Churchill replied stiffly. He was calling Halifax’s bluff, unconvinced that he would have the strength to act decisively. He had miscalculated.

“Then you may consider yourself dismissed as First Lord of the Admiralty. I will pay homage to your excellent record in fighting the war, and will thank you for your support to me as your Prime Minister. May I wequest that you return to the Admiralty and prepare your letter of resignation? I will not attack you in the House, and request that you do the same. We are both men of honour, trying to do what we see as right.”

As the rest of the Cabinet returned Churchill had already stormed out. Halifax explained to the others that as the First Lord was unwilling to accept the Treaty of Milan then he was, by mutual agreement, leaving his post to return to the backbenches.

[Game Effect] - And there you have the (moderate terms) of the Treaty of Milan. Essentially, as frequently discussed on this forum, the UK lets Germany do pretty much what it likes in Europe. There are a few colonial concessions, and the wedge is driven between Britain and France. Hold on, the ride gets bumpy...

Enewald: I think you totally missed the point. The Clause was about saving exiled forces from the hands of the Germans.

Nathan Madien: The Army is certainly brave, but has been let down by a total lack of vision from Whitehall and fairly poor generalship.

Last edited:
Intense. Halifax has indeed given up too much, and Churchill is correct at this moment. A hopeful counterintuitive angle is that, by blessing both Italy and Germany, Halifax has unintentionally driven a wedge between Rome and Berlin. . . but I am beginning to think my Pollyanna assessment is no good here. Halifax is making a mistake. Maybe a big one. What the hell was Hitler's opening demand if this is what Halifax was able to get via negotiation?

pissedoff.gif

THAT BLITHERING IDIOT!

Goddamnit. What a Spineless, cowardly, *insert random, sexually related and unprintaple explecitives here* Bastard! He is WILLFULLY endangering the most important trade/supply route of the Empire, and he even knows this! Someone kill that bastard already! From now on I will repeat that last sentence in every update.

What the hell was Hitler's opening demand if this is what Halifax was able to get via negotiation?

You misunderstand, that treaty probably was Hitler's opening demand. Which Halifax duly bent over and accepted, like the spineless, cowardly, retarded imbecile he clearly is.

But seriously, after Munich, how can Halifax still think Hitler's word is worth a damn? There's self-delusion but I think he's past that and into the realms of quite genuine mental illness

We need a coup d'etat right now, clearly.

Clearly, everyone has failed to see the genius of Halifax's plan: the creation of a global Nazi empire will give the British Empire something to look good in comparison with! Now Halifax can say to the Indians and "his" Africans that "Oh sure, we're not that great, but at least we're not nazis, eh?"

Or maybe Le Jones is merely trying to make the game more exciting by setting things up so that the Australians will have to fight Germans on New Guinea when the Third World War breaks out in 1943ish.

I can see it already.

In 1941 the Italians or the Germans will 'ask' for basing rights on Malta in order to safeguard their supply convoys, in 1942 they will sign a defence treaty with teh UK and base ships at Scapa and in 1943 they will simply walk in and take over. Halifax will order the Armed Forces to stand down as a war would mean that someone could get killed and that being opressed is better than preserving freedom at the cost of lives.

Except for the very tiny loophole about not supporting French groups acting against the lawful government, the deal is very bitter indeed !

The BEF abandoning its supplies to German occupation forces in France is probably not much of a boost for the Wehrmacht, but it will render rearmament this little harder for Great Britain and I'm sure the French government will be thrilled to know that not only gaping holes have been opened in the frontline, the next flight of Heinkel 111s to strike a Tricolor target will fly on British aviation gas.

By Golly, the situation is ripe with opportunities for the Reich ! Berlin could encourage Rome to go for a French land grab in North Africa (and possibly Savoy, but that would be a much tougher proposition), and then intervene to rein in his ally. Then Hitler says to whoever leads the French government at that point "See ? Your ally betrayed you, and Italy wants too much, but we, the two nations who suffered so much in the Great War, we can reach an agreement".

What will become of the BEF's tanks, trucks, and weapons ? There might be third parties interested, like Eire...

I am surprised Churchill had enough patience to hang around this long.

You misunderstand, that treaty probably was Hitler's opening demand. Which Halifax duly bent over and accepted, like the spineless, cowardly, retarded imbecile he clearly is.

But seriously, after Munich, how can Halifax still think Hitler's word is worth a damn? There's self-delusion but I think he's past that and into the realms of quite genuine mental illness

El Pip, the first part of your post answered the question posed in the second part. Halifax believes in Hitler because he can. That doesn't make it right, of course. However, if people are for the Treaty of Milan, who is going to stop Halifax?

pissedoff.gif

THAT BLITHERING IDIOT!

Goddamnit. What a Spineless, cowardly, *insert random, sexually related and unprintaple explecitives here* Bastard! He is WILLFULLY endangering the most important trade/supply route of the Empire, and he even knows this! Someone kill that bastard already! From now on I will repeat that last sentence in every update.

Aside from trekaddict, of course.

Aside from trekaddict, of course.
I will fully support the great patriot trekaddict in any and all actions he sees fit in order to save Britain, the Empire and indeed the civilised world from the impending dark age of Nazi domination.
ja.gif

Wow...so many comments...

I have to confess that I have, bowing to the thoughts, reviewed the next update. Intially Halifax et al plodded on, but in the interests of Trekaddict not having some sort of heart attack, there will be a voice of sanity.

And that voice shall be Clement Attlee.

Oh Dear God.

Wow...so many comments...

I have to confess that I have, bowing to the thoughts, reviewed the next update. Intially Halifax et al plodded on, but in the interests of Trekaddict not having some sort of heart attack, there will be a voice of sanity.

And that voice shall be Clement Attlee.

Oh Dear God.

*shrugs* better than nothing.

I will fully support the great patriot trekaddict in any and all actions he sees fit in order to save Britain, the Empire and indeed the civilised world from the impending dark age of Nazi domination.
ja.gif

Well then. The Royal Marines and part of the Home Fleet stand ready to steam up the Tames. A couple of 15"ers pointed at Parliament should convince Halifax to vacate his post.

Im having trouble fully understanding the treaty. In terms of the game play how did you simulate disarming malta and the rock? did you give those provinces to Germany? and also what provinces in Africa did you give them? Is there an event that simulates this?