• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Snugglie- Morcar is Harold's grandson by a son, so the line of succession is pretty strong. I was amazed at this turn of events!

Leviathan- Good to have you on board! What will the Godwinson's do next?! Stay tuned!

Update later tonight

A Son and A Crusade

ScreenSave10.jpg

The King of Brittany is Marc Kerne, a highly effective young monarch. He is known for his liberal sexual attitudes and already has a bastard son. King Zavie has great faith in him as an ally and friend, for only by standing together do they present a challenge to the French monarch Louis.

ScreenSave11.jpg

Directly to the south of Aquitania, the Duchy of Barcelona fitfully progresses through a slow, agonizing death. June of 1109 sees the last of their continental holdings fall, with the ragged survivors fleeing to their final stronghold in the Baleares (Outlined in Black).
ScreenSave16.jpg

Two significant courtiers of the duchy flee across the Pyrenees and into Aquitania instead.
ScreenSave7.jpg

ScreenSave9.jpg

The King accepted both into the realm, since he was both concerned of the greater Iberian situation and sympathetic to the individual nobles present circumstances. Neither is particularly skilled(they had lied to the border guards, claiming to be noble warriors of some influence), and their stays at the court of Aquitania were seen as pity cases by the King's vassals.

September saw the welcome arrival of a second legitimate son, an event that banished nearly all doubt over the succession from Zavie's mind. Named Guigues, he would join his two year old brother and older sisters as the next generation of the de Toulouse house.
ScreenSave12.jpg

King Zavie had not been the only one to watch the Islamic advance in Spain with consternation. Ecstatic over the success of the previous crusade, the newly installed Pope Zachary ordered the Christian princes of Europe to assault the former Castillian capital of Burgos(outlined in black). The Kingdom of Aquitania (red outline) could not have been better situated to take on the Bishop of Rome's charge.
ScreenSave21.jpg

If King Zavie had been waiting for an excuse to wage war in Iberia, this was it. He would have the full backing of the Pope and other Christian powers in a campaign on his very doorstep. His realm was prosperous, stable and ready to flex its muscles. The King immediately called his Dukes to war council at his capital in Bordeaux.
BordauxCastle.jpg

Last edited:
The Crusade Takes Shape

(You may want to refer back to the character post on page 1 of this AAR to remember some of the dukes who will be participating.)

Deep in the castle....
CastleCorridor.jpg

A roaring fire spits and cackles inside its stone prison as a group of men, the greatest lords of Aquitania, stand around a high table spread with maps, scrolls, and half eaten bread crusts.​

King Zavie- "My lords, there can be little doubt amongst you as to why I have called all of you away from your holdings at this time, for I am sure the Papal envoys have reached each of you."

Doumenge de Caumont, Duke of Aquitaine- "Indeed my liege, we have each heard the call to arms against the heathen Mosulmen. None here doubt that you have plans to take advantage of the situation."

Michels de Montesquiou, Duke of Poitou- "Truly, I can hardly surmise that any other crisis bar a French invasion would warrant this gathering."

King Zavie- "You both speak truth, but thankfully we will not face the wrath of little King Louis just yet. I fully intend to put the full military power of our Kingdom into the coming battle with the heathens. Other matters can wait, since I fear we have let this intolerable occupation of Christendom last to long already."

Guiges de Toulouse, Duke of Toulouse- "Cousin, we are aware of your feelings regarding the Iberian situation. Now is the time that both your father and yourself have waited for, a direct request from the Pope to take back these lands. The only question is how do we proceed?"

Poitou- "Even with this war occurring on our doorstep, we will face the logistical problems of operating in hazardous enemy territory. The upkeep of any army capable of the invasion will be tremendous."

King Zavie- "As you were traveling, I took the liberty of having my Marshal put together a rough plan for our campaign.

ScreenSave24.jpg
Emmanuel de Curieres, Marshall of Aquitania- "Yes my liege, my lords. If you would take a look at these.
ScreenSave25.jpg

"The main force of our western regions will march directly toward our target(Gold Star, like you didn't know) taking the shortest route possible. This will involve taking the small independent sheikdom of Labourd, which will present no difficulty. A small holding force led by the Duke de Foix will remain behind to protect the region from any possible counterattack."

Raouf de Foix, Duke of Gascony- "My liege! I must object, there is no reason for it to be me that guards the baggage train! Give it to any of the others I plead of you! The Mohammedans will never forget the punishment I will inflict on them."

King Zavie- "Remember your place Raouf, I do not see this as a servile position. I need someone that I can trust to secure our flank and I consider you the man to do it. If my favor of you is misplaced, you may speak again and I might consider having my daughter serve as the occupier of Labourd. Pray continue Emmanuel."

Emmanuel- "Yes my liege. These are the only four provinces in Spain occupied by the Kingdom of the Hammadids, as they call themselves. If we take all of them and rout their armies, we will have gone a long way to the achievement of our goal."

Toulouse- "I sense that it will not be so easy as that, what other power does the enemy possess?"

Emmanuel - "The enemy also possesses much territory on the African continent, as displayed here."

ScreenSave26.jpg

"We have the option of either using our eastern forces as a solid defense against any attacks that they launch from this territory or we can use them as an offensive weapon, putting more pressure on their armies and occupying land that will be of value when we decide to negotiate peace."

Gilbert de Milhaud, Duke of Auvergne- "You actually think they might attack us here? I came under the impression that we would be the ones attacking! My liege, you must allow me to go and prepare the defenses of my demesne! A crew of raffish Islams might be preparing to attack my keep, all of our keeps, as we sit here talking! I could not bear the thought of my lands being trodden upon by their feet!"

King Zavie- "Calm, Gilbert. One would think that you would be eager to prove your loyalty to God and the Pope considering the recent revocation of your excommunication. There is little chance that they will land in enough force to seriously threaten us, but they will no doubt prove a nuisance if they manage to get significant numbers ashore. I am of the disposition to allow our eastern forces to guard the coastline until we see how the campaign in Spain goes. Then we may be able to spare troops from there to facilitate a direct attack on the Hammadid heartland."

ScreenSave27.jpg

Jaume de Caudoine, Duke of Bourbon- "Keep me from this holding force lord. I desire nothing more than to..."

Poitou- "Frighten the Muslims with your overly developed facial hair?"

Bourbon - "You mock! I will show each of you what my men and I are capable of. No sheik will have pity from me in this holy venture, no stronghold will remain barred from our conquering host!"

King Zavie- "Hold man, do you want these lords to think you still a boy? You will accompany my force into Spain Jaume, but I doubt that war will be much to your mind's image."

Bourbon- "No matter my liege, I shall earnestly serve you in every respect in this campaign. None will prevent me from executing my duty"

Toulouse- "Now that we decided on a course of action, how do you rate our odds Marshal? Where do we stand in comparison to them in troop numbers and disposition?"
ScreenSave23.jpg

ScreenSave22.jpg

Emmanuel- "Our most recent reports have come up with these numbers for the Hammadids. They possess approximately eight thousand troops, of which most are stationed in their homeland of in Africa. The Spanish areas will likely not be able to be reinforced until we have conquered our objective. They are also allied to the Kingdom of Almoravids located along the western North Africa coastline. These allies have the possibility of bringing another ten thousand troops into the war, but we are uncertain how effective they will be or even if they will attempt to combat us in Spain."

King Zavie- "Our own strength approaches forty five thousand, but we will have to deal with the effects of attrition in enemy territory for the first stages of the war. Still, I assure you that that victory is preordained, since we do have God on our side after all."

Poitou- "That's right, he's never let us down yet."

Last edited:
"Overly developed facial hair", harr harr harr! Nice update.

Thank you for the comments dear readers.

Snugglie- Honestly- poor Jaume got a poor roll on the dna sequencer to get such a terrible haircut. Thanks for the compliment.

Jordarkelf- I don't foresee any problems with the execution of the plan. It seems that the Hammadids are exhausted after a war with Geona that has been waging for about three years, so they are ripe for the picking! I don't foresee Marc of Brittany really needing to help me that much, but if he does get around to assisting, the more the merrier.

Yeah, I seem to have it happen when I'm trying to do three things at once, like send a fosterling while negotiating peace and granting a title. Its my own fault really. I heard somewhere that the likelihood of crashes goes down if you turn off the music, any truth to that?

Count Lake said:
Bad news, I had a really decent crusade going when bam! fatal error. I will try to update tomorrow, since I lost the majority of my gameplay for today.

I sympathize with you regarding the crash. At the same time, Aquitaine's defeat is my joy. Down with decent crusades! I want to see minarets in Thours before dawn!

Count Lake said:
Yeah, I seem to have it happen when I'm trying to do three things at once, like send a fosterling while negotiating peace and granting a title. Its my own fault really. I heard somewhere that the likelihood of crashes goes down if you turn off the music, any truth to that?
I think it was confirmed somewhere. I never listen to the in-game music anyway. ;) Try listening to some The Who when playing, makes for a very good mixture.

Thanks Snugglie and Phargle- I will try to run the game with no music, even though it has been stable thus far. Hopefully we will see an update tommorow like I said.

And for Phargle's suggestion, if I get the "Personality Matures- Architect" event for one of my main dynasty members, I will see about installing minarets in Bordeaux!

Aquitainia is in a precarious position: your survival in the near future is going to have a lot to do with how well all this plotting against France is executed. But in the mean time, christian politics are in your favor. If this Crusade turns out to be a success, the Kingdom could be a flavorful, powerful combination of Spanish and French.

And from my own experience, I've only had CK crash before I turned off music.

May I suggest that, while on the way to Burgos, you may free Barcelona from the Moors, please? :D

Hope you can resolve the crash... as others mentioned, try disabling the music. You may need to rename the entire music folder to ensure it's not active.

Free the Christians from the Moor, and let them remember why it's not wise to mess with Franks (or Aquitinians in this case) ;)

Thanks so much for the support from readers new and old!

Enewald- I will be playing from my autosave in 1111, just a little under a year into the Crusade. I crashed in December of that year, after a whole lot of interesting and flavorful events happened (Like my newly of age daughter becoming the secret mistress of the Duke of Poitou! I had such plans with that little bit!) Thanks for the support and really glad to have you onboard! Liberating Barcelona is on my to do list! I will give it to the remaining Catalan refugee in my court.

The Doc- Glad to have you with us here too! Thanks for the words of advice regarding music, it is good to hear that it has worked for people in the past. My plan for the moment is to take advantage of the Crusade to expand Aquitanian influence in Spain, but if I gather too much territory there, I will grant the Castill/Leon King title to a close relative/son so as not to get too powerful, I like to keep my own rulership down to a resonable level.

Kurt Steiner- See above, I will be working on liberating the Duchy of Barcelona if my manpower/ funds last out the current crusade. Have no fear! Really glad to have you onboard with the aar as well! Thanks for the comment.

Jordarkelf- I will try your suggestion and see how it plays. I appreciate the advice and your continued readership. Know that King Zavie will not rest until his Kingdom's southern frontier is safe!

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to read my aar. I still need to upload/ edit my screenshots from the first year of the Crusade and play it through to a (hopefully) successful conclusion. Look for the update late tonight (I had a surprise trip to the Ohio State Fair today, which took up alot of time). I'm sorry to keep on promising, but you will something tonight even if it is only the portion of my game leading up to the last crusade. :cool: