• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Zavie is much too nice for a crusader. No rapping pillaging and bloodbaths. And he even let's the financial spoils of the war go too his wife! I hope for him that nobody ever exploits his "soft side". ;)

~Lord Valentine~

Thanks to everyone for their comments, update in a bit!

Phargle- You don't consider Afaghis to be a very intimidating name? I was terrified and sought to hide under my desk when I realized that I would be facing a man with such a unique moniker. Keep tuned, for the best is yet to come!

Jordarkelf- The situation in Spain is dire. You were correct in all of your guesses regarding the identies of the Muslim states, I will make a map in my typical Monet inspired style for the next update to help the other readers identify them.

Thankfully, none of these major powers (Sevilla, Badajoz and Toledo) are allied to one another. They, in typical CK AI wisdom, decided to align themselves with various small principalities on the North African coast or in Iberia, nothing more than a two province minor.

The Catalans are next on my list, but I really need time to recover my finances and composure before tackling that specific goal.

For the most part, I'm roleplaying when it comes to the siege events. I did have Burgos and Soria became looted after my sieges to try and simulate what I wrote in the aar. I do wish that there were more flavorful events of this type, but it makes sense I assume since sieges are a "waiting game" after all.

And that woman should have known not to accuse one of the most virtuous knights of Christendom of such a base act. She was just looking for alimony and got what she deserved.

Enewald- I will do my best to liberate Aquitainia's Catalan brethren in the near future and form a strong presence in the Pyrenees. The "falling out with wife" event really came at the worst time and completely drained my coffers, so it will be awhile before I'm able to form a cohesive campaign. Thanks for the comment and stay tuned.

Lord Valentine- I have been playing Zavie as a "soft" monarch, devoted to his Crusades but pretty weak in most other respects. He is devoted to his wife Rosa, even "whipped" some would say. I will be moving away from this depending on how his heir Guitard shapes up and it seems like most of my readers would like a more aggressive or conflicted ruler. We shall see what events in the future will shape this impressionable youngster.

Glad to hear I got the muslims right. I spent quite a bit of time on their country colours to make sure there would be no colour clashes -- always happy to see this pay off :)

Do you have the Bopack/Smack mod installed as well? There are many events around sieges in that mod, such as having El Cid show up to win the siege for you... for a price.

Oh, and not everyone wants a warmonger. A properly played pacifist(ic) monarch -- on Crusade -- is awesome. Famous Crusader Richard the Lionheart was not just renown for his combat prowess, but also his adherence to chivalrous values. Treating one's wife with respect is something a true knight ought to approve of!

The Consequences of Success

Even with the city of Burgos under his control and peace with the Hammadids secured, Zavie decided to have his army maintain its position in Spain rather than return home. He was eager to see if a little time would reveal whether any of the small sheikdoms in the region would be easy pickings for his victorious soldiers. In order to combat the escalating debt he was racking up, Zavie decided to cut back on what he termed non essential spending in the expeditionary force, forcibly evicting most of the camp followers, cutting rations and curtailing the mock combats of the nobility. Aquitanian morale in Spain ebbed to a low.

The holding forces that had taken to the field expecting a Hammadid invasion of the homeland were quickly dismissed to further reduce the expenditure of the state. Most of those sent home complained of their long months idling the time away and stood jealous of their brethren that had engaged in a dramatic march over mountain and across desert to capture one of Christendom’s capitals. Still, they found great comfort in knowing that they were home safe, something that far too many of the proper crusaders would never be able to say.

In early May, the King received news related to Guiges, his second son by Rosa. In the letter, Rosa informed the King that Guiges had fallen down one of the castle turret steps and shattered his leg. While the castle physician had been able to set the bone, the child now walked with a marked limp. Knowing that his plans to see Guiges become an honorable knight and serve as his brothers Marshal were now defunct, Zavie wrote back to comfort his wife and suggest that Guiges be placed in the care of a nearby monastic house.

ScreenSave9-1-1.jpg

ScreenSave10-1.jpg

King Marc of Brittany, whose own campaign against the Hammadids was successful in adding a North African province to his already existing toehold in south Spain (yellow outline), was soon calling on King Zavie to hold to their alliance and assist him against the Emir of Almeria (pink outline). The Muslim leader had recently engaged in forceful raids across Marc’s borders and had burned several towns in the province. Noticing that one of the Emir’s vassals held the province of Urgell, ripe for conquest directly adjacent to the Aquitanian homeland (gold star), Zavie dispatched his own messenger to inform Marc of his tireless devotion to their friendship and declared war on Almeria.

ScreenSave12-1-1-1.jpg

Zavie’s plan of attack was simple. He would use his army still in Spain(black) to directly intercede with the Emir’s armies(blue) and provide backup for the Breton forces(red). To the north, other regiments(pink) that had been demobilized from the eastern holding force were called up again to attack the province of Urgell(white), held by an Alemerian vassal and situated so as to be a direct threat to the safety of Aquitania’s southern border. If it could be secured and Brittany's position in Iberia maintained, Christendom would have another victory to add to the successful Crusade.
ScreenSave13.jpg

ScreenSave15-1.jpg

Things began to go wrong very quickly.​

Last edited:
Sorry for the small update, more will be up in the afternoon/evening. What will happen next?!?!?

Jordarkelf- I do have the Bopack-Smack installed, but I haven't been able to get any of the siege events yet. Its not that surprising since most of my sieges are over pretty quick and don't give them much time to fire. Still, I am looking forward to what the extra events give to me, I already mentioned that I love the divorce event that allowed me to get rid of that barren Capetian witch that was my second wife!

I will continue to play Zavie like I have, even if he isn't the deepest of characters. Normally I go for all the bastard creation events and don't mind much when my wife is my rival. But for this game, I went in a different direction and decided to try and take the high road. Like I said, we will see where Zavie ends up and how Guitard grows up to adulthood. Maybe he will be all that Zavie dreams of him to be, or maybe he will turn into a nightmare.

Thanks for the comment though, and do you have any recommendations for books on crusading? All this game talk has gotten me eager to read more about its real life counterpart. Great to have you as a reader!

Try to find a copy of A History of Deeds done Beyond the Sea by William, Archbisop of Tyre. Written in his final years of life, this is an amazing first-person account of the First Crusade and the first Crusader Realms.
Extracts can be found here

A little outdated but very complete list on Crusade Books in general: BASIC BOOKS ON THE CRUSADES

---

Hmm. "Things began to go wrong very quickly." Almeria seems to be taken care of, so I suspect a third party... but Christian (Germany/France) or Saracen? Will be interesting to see develop further!

The Bitter Fruit

King Zavie knew that there have to be sacrifices in order to prevail in his current quest for power in Spain. One of these was the selling of many rare books from the library of his family’s ancestral seat at Toulouse.

ScreenSave16-1.jpg

Established by his father, the Toulousian library had been a major center for scholarly pursuits in the realm for the past thirty years. Containing rare scrolls from Greece and Rome along with more modern masterpieces such as the original copy of de Cermont’s courtier training manual “Rites of the Aquitanian Nobility”, Toulouse put much pride in its library. The decision to sell its treasures put quick ducats in the King’s purse, at the price of a disgruntled populace.

In the midst of his march to assist his Breton allies and hopefully claim the province of Urgell, Aquitania's King was delivered a message that filled his heart with ice. In the course of his march, he had seemingly advanced across a portion of land claimed by the powerful Emir of Toledo. The Emir himself was a young headstrong man that proved easy prey to ambitious courtiers and his own eagerness to prove his worth. He had been talked into declaring war based on the excuse provided by the transgression. King Zavie called for a map to be brought at once with the borders of the two realms marked off.
ScreenSave17-1.jpg

After complaining about its shoddy quality, Zavie was told that several of the royal clerks had eye infections and were thus handicapped in their duties. Offering his sympathies, he turned back to the map. Aquitania's new conquests(black) were in every way exposed to the Toledoan(red) threat. A plan needed to be made.

Zavie ordered messages sent to the conquered provinces of Viscaya, Burgos and Soria. Within the packages, he urged the nobility and other leaders of those provinces to raise forces for their defense(black) and to assemble at Soria(gold star), the province most exposed to any troops the Muslims(red) might assemble. These town leaders took their new king’s orders to heart and readily assembled a hodge podge gathering of would be warriors and sent them towards the expected battleground at Soria.
ScreenSave18-1.jpg

Zavie studied the situation carefully, weighing the alternatives in his mind. His own army(black) and that of Ubert de Caumont(green) were right between the mobilized Toledoan regiments(red) and their target. He knew that the Spanish based force would take time to form up and properly assemble at Soria.

The Duke of Poitou, personal friend of the King and a man who had served in every part of the latest Crusade, urged for a defensive stance with the King himself retreating to Soria and confronting the Moors there. This was rejected as behavior unfit for a Christian knight on crusade and being too dependent on one large battle.

The Duke of Aquitaine, another Crusade veteran, wished to call upon the large and relatively unbloodied Aquitanian regiments back in southern France in a general mobilization. This was rejected as being too burdensome on the kingdom's already decrepit finances and too long in happening.

One option presented itself as the best course. Zavie would march into Toledoan territory and meet their army in battle, hoping to bleed them enough or at least delay their march significantly for his Spanish based reinforcements to take up in Soria.

This was the course decided upon, with Zavie sending his intense regret to the King of Brittany that he would be unable to assist him at his time of need. Operations in Urgell to the north were not endangered by this new threat and continued in their original form.

ScreenSave19-1.jpg

Battle was first joined in the province of Cuenca, which ended in a generally indecisive skirmish but led to Ubert de Caumont's retreat from the field. His troops, like those of the King, were weak from hunger and exhaustion. Combat in the rugged country during the brutal July heat did not suit them. Zavie promised more supplies to Ubert's force and his own, extending his credit even further in an attempt to make up for his miserliness earlier.

ScreenSave21-1.jpg

It was in late July, the hottest any of the locals could remember, that King Zavie faced his new enemy. Yugerten, Emir of Toledo, had led his main army to the rolling hills of Molina in preparation for his strike against Soria. The Aquitanian monarch met him there, both forces lead elements stumbling upon each other in one of the few forests that dotted the sun blasted landscape. Each formed up for battle, with Zavie confident that his advantage in heavy cavalry would carry the day for him.
ScreenSave22-1.jpg

The Battle of Molina commenced in the afternoon, just as the sun was highest in the sky. The Aquitanians held their position, letting the Toledoan host begin to skirmish with their front line. As the missile fire intensified, Zavie ordered his knights forward and into the middle of the Muslim line. With a sound like rolling thunder, hundreds of Aquitania’s finest knights swept into their enemies ranks. Sword clattered on shield, mace connected with flesh, arrows thudded against armor, horse and man died. In the boiling maelstrom, the Toledoan army stood firm, incredibly withstanding the charge of the armored cavalrymen. Those knights in the last ranks veered away and those engaged in the melee broke off back to the safety of their own lines. Aquitanian infantry attempted a follow up attack, but they were repulsed as well. Zavie realized that his chance to break the Muslims in one fatal charge had failed. Reports of Toledoan reinforcements on the horizon gave Zavie no choice but to call a retreat in good order.
ScreenSave24-1.jpg

Along the path of retreat, a messenger arrived to tell Zavie of success to the north. Roger de Foix, Count of Foix, had led an overwhelming campaign against the Muslims of Urgell and now had the main citadel under siege. It was welcome news for the Aquitanian king, whose own failure in battle still weighed heavily on his mind.
ScreenSave23-1.jpg

ScreenSave28.jpg

King Zavie fully realized that his holding action at Molina had been a complete failure soon after. The Toledoan force was still easily able to reach Soria before the defense force called upon by Zavie could be properly organized by the Spanish leaders. Viscaya’s regiment was still away and those of Burgos and Soria were outmatched in both the number and leadership value of active troops. Zavie himself was still attempting to resupply his own force and could not afford to send relief to the patriots.
ScreenSave27-1.jpg

Even with a vast superiority in mounted knights, the leaders of the Spanish defense armies (who remained anonymous after the battle) were completely outmanuevered by the Toledoan Emir. The professionalism of the Muslim force was readily apparent. One of the major merchant cabals of Soria had ridden out outfitted as a light cavalry regiment and was decimated to a man after their mercenary bodyguards abandoned them. Overall, the battle that raged was completely one-sided and the faith and determination of the Christian soldiers was not enough to prevent another defeat.
ScreenSave32.jpg

As the survivors of the doomed army melted into the countryside around Soria, Yugerten prepared for the siege of the city. Hardly any time had been given to repair the damages of Ubert de Caumont's siege months before and the defenders soon found themselves hard pressed to maintain the castle's integrity.
ScreenSave33.jpg

Even as Zavie cursed his regiments' defeat in Soria, more good news filtered from the north. The siege of Urgell had reached a successful conclusion and Aquitainian troops maintained a constant vigil in the province. Again, he inhabitants of the country praised their saviors and deliverance from heathen hands. No other forces from the Emirate of Almeria appeared to be threateningly close by, and Zavie was eager to be rid of at least one war. Peace was secured by the middle of August and Urgell was added to the King's personal demense.

ScreenSave29.jpg

ScreenSave31.jpg

Zavie had one last chance to break the siege of Soria with his current forces. Gathering the remants of his own army, Ubert's force and a few of the Spanish patriots, Zavie began marching his army toward the siege lines around Soria, a battle he was almost positive he could not win. His army seemed to think the same way, with nearly no supplies, low morale and even less hope. They were a sorry looking and bedraggled bunch, worn thin in both spirit and fighting ability from nearly two years of fighting in a foreign land far from their homes. Still, Zavie had his own honor and that of Aquitania to maintain, which mandated this last desperate attempt at victory.

Also along this march, Zavie began to reflect upon his relationship with his wife Rosa. She was much younger than him, half his age really. Marrying her had been the result of a desperate search for a woman to provide him with a heir. She had become so much more than that to him over the past four years. Rosa had given him two sons along with laughter, debate, and council. In truth, he could not imagine life without her. He knew that it was an odd thing to be thinking of on the eve of his most decisive battle yet, but he didn't mind. He knew that Rosa would be the only woman for him for the rest of his life.
ScreenSave20-1.jpg

The battle around Soria went almost exactly as Zavie thought it would. His men broke at the first contact with the enemy. Only the cream of his army stood firm and it was not long before his personal bodyguard was in danger of being engulfed by the superior Muslim numbers. Zavie fought for his life, striking with all the anger he held at the Toledoans for their attack, for their forcing of his hand, but mostly of his defeat. He had tasted it before, but this was different. This was land he had conquered not two seasons past, greeted by throngs of jubilant citizens. Now they needed his assistance and he couldn't help them, it was beyond his capacity as a man and a leader.

Zavie broke off from the battle at the last moment and caught up with the reformed part of his army at a hill overlooking the city's outskirts. At this point, the lowest of his life, he knew he was soundly beaten, that he didn't have soldiers left to fight with. They would not do battle again, not after another defeat, not for him and not for their country and certainly not for a city they barely knew. Zavie de Toulouse turned and watched Toledoan army return to their siege. It would not be long now.
ScreenSave34-1.jpg

Soria fell on October 3rd. The Christian defenders were treated well by the Muslim occupiers and sent with as much as they could carry towards the last portion of Zavie's army encamped outside of Soria. Looting did occur, but it was kept on a level that did not endanger the lives of the Christian majority population. Yugerten issued a proclamation detailing his intent to rule the city with a liberal hand, respecting the rights of all its inhabitants.
ScreenSave35.jpg

It was not long before Zavie received a Toledoan envoy at his camp. Dressed in his finest mail suit to survive the constant retreats and defeats, Zavie ordered the camp to be made to look ready for an attack on Soria. Every person in the camp fully recognized the posturing for what it was and none were impressed by the show their King was ordering them to put on. No impression was made on the diplomat, whose demands were simple and clear.
ScreenSave36.jpg

Zavie accepted.

Last edited:
A bitter defeat but at least Zavie has disengaged from this war without loosing his most important prize: Burgos.
I only hope for him that the French king doesn't chose to capitalize on his current weakness.

~Lord Valentine~

A reply to my patient readers, I'm sorry to have been out most of today or I would have handled them earlier.

Lord Valentine- I don't know if the cliffhanger lived up to what you were expecting, but this was a serious downturn for me. I never have had to beg for a peace before and this one really got to me. I made the terrible mistake of having almost no army maintainance at the beggining of the war and by the time I had it up it was too late. I am glad that Burgos was maintained, but the loss of Soria was a bad way to end my Crusade.

We shall see what France has to say about this recent setback later. I'm not really all that weak... I was just exhausted of the war in Spain and it would have been absolute murder on my treasury to have gone to complete mobilization. I could have won, but perhaps we will see a more interesting story this way? Thank you once again for your interest in the aar and continued readership!

Jordarkelf- Perfect on the book reccomendations! I work at a book store so I will use some of my downtime tomorrow to order a few in! I appreciate the help.

As you can see, the problem was Saracen in origin. France has really surprised me thus far in not trying to take me on. They have claims on the Duke titles of Aquitaine and Toulouse if I recall and I would have to defend them as they are my most powerful vassals and right in the heart of my lands. Soon we shall take the fight to those Capet dogs! But most likely not this decade....

Thanks once more for the choice of books and the link to a library of others. Keep reading and I hope that the story keeps you entertained.

Phargle- I hope your happy :rofl: . This update lets Zavie look like a dunce and Aquitania loses some land, both things that should set you giggling. I'm still very glad to have you as a reader and thank you for the continued interest in my project :D .

Hard times seem to be ahead for Zavie and his Kingdom, but what path will he take? Stay tuned to Kingdom of Aarquitania!

Phargle- Pretty much, I tried to get into a battle to wear down the enemy's main force before it was joined by other little regiments hanging around. When I got into battle and started to lose badly, I realized that my army maintainance was set to about 1/3rd of maximum. This led to the stinging defeat you read about. I normally am pretty good about the whole army slider thing, but it completely slipped my mind this time :wacko: . I never really recovered and the rest, as they say, is history. I almost inserted a quote from Zavie... "Nnnnggghhhh...." :p

I am very happy to have maintained Burgos, but Soria was a hard sting anyways. We shall see where the aar takes us next. Thanks for the comment!

Last edited:
Ouch, low army maintenance biting you... do you always slide this down in peace time, or have you had it this low since back when you were a French vassal?

A shame about Soria, but at least you kept Burgos. You may yet still "win" the Crusade -- and there's always time to take on the Moor later.

Jordarkelf- I usually do keep my army slider at the top, but the financial troubles my kingdom was having pretty much forced me to bring it down in the period directly after the peace with the Hammadids while I was waiting for another opportunity to rise up. I could easily have swamped Almeria with Breton help in the south and sheer numbers near Urgell, but Toledo decided to intervene. I forgot to put my slider back up and my forces were soon in all out retreat. They sieged Soria and that was that :( .

I have a plan to deal with Yugerten later (love that name, if I had won, I would have wrote in a bit describing the Aquitainian's first contact with yogurt captured from the Moors supply train). As of now in the game, You will see that I have other problems! Thanks for the comments!

Enewald- That may be, but they bleed red like the rest of us! The Toledoan's time will come when King Zavie crushes their realm and feasts upon their children! Thanks for the comment and stay tuned for more exciting episodes of Aarquitania!

Update tommorow morningish. Lots of work today.

Last edited:
By the way, does anyone know how to reactivate the spell check for the forum posting tool? I seem to have caused it to shut down in some way and I have been doing the last few updates by copying and pasting from Microsoft Word since my spelling is horrendous. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Bitter defeat, but after having conquered Catalonia and been more prepared, you will definitely be able to beat them in the future.

I also sympathise with Zavie's poor blind map-makers... ;)