• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 23: Bartimos

It had not been that long when he arrived in Herston Hall – only a few years, in fact. He had finally gotten to know most of the servants, and of course all of the council members and their family and friends. He had finally settled into his rookery and organized it in such a manner that it felt like a proper home for him. And yet, after only those few years, Bartimos found himself not only serving as maester of the hall...but the regent of Lockport as well.

6bLy4NW.png

Lorys' body had been brought back to Lockport by boat, accompanied by Andren, who seemed as grief stricken as Bartimos had ever seen him. After returning, young Andren was placed under the command of Master at Arms Arrec for his upraising; Bartimos had not felt Arrec to be the most perfect role model, but he knew that Andren had been training to be a squire, and he needed a knight of some sort to continue his service under. In the meantime, the maester attended his lordship's body, which was still somewhat conscience, but just barely. Every day, he would go into Lord Lorys' room, find him laying on the bed, serve him a simple meal that had been smooshed so that he could weakly chew and swallow, and then feed the lord some milk of the poppy to ease his pain. He would say respectful things to him, and speak as if he were fully conscience, even if he knew Lorys could perhaps only understand half of what was going on. And every day, Bartimos saw the condition worsening, bit by bit.

The Lockport troops that had been under Lorys' command remained with Lord Connington, in order to assist him in the finishing of the war. The Stormland armies continued to win battle after battle, and eventually, by September of 300 AL, the war was over. Lord Mary (or rather, Lord Mary's court) imprisoned Lord Eldon Estermont and the young Lord Olryn Caron (the latter of whom had inherited the Dornish Marches after his father died of a severe depression). The first major test against the lord paramount's government after Lord Renly's death had been passed, and within a short span of time. Few within the Stormlands could deny Lord Lorys' great contribution to it...but he would never be able to understand just what an impact he had made.

Of the one thousand men who went away to war, less than three hundred returned. They were tired and dirty, and many seemed very grateful to at last be home and away from battle. What prestige and valor had been obtained in the first few months of the war had been dashed in last few months; with their lord commander wounded and near death, and two thirds of their number gone, there was little for the men to be prideful about. Their condition caused heartache for Bartimos, and he could only imagine that it would be a long, long time before the number of levies returned to normal, which meant it would be a long, long time before Lockport ever went to war again. This did not mean, however, that the rest of the Seven Kingdoms would not go to war any time soon...

wYcxykx.png

In October of 300 AL, the Iron Islands, former masters of the Riverlands and a culture which practically lived in the sea, had revolted against King Robert in the hopes of obtaining independence. They were at the time ruled by the eleven-year old "Iron King" Norjen Greyjoy. Rumors and stories said that he was rambunctious boy for his age, afraid of no one and full of ideas about where his family should go and what his people should do. He was the son of Rodrik Greyjoy, son of Balon, and also known as "the Black Reaver." Like his father before him, he had died in in combat while his fleet was engaged in one of King Robert's many wars against the Free Cities – some speculated that Norjen was attempting to revolt partially because of that fact.

HbzCp11.png

It was one evening that, while Bartimos was reading on the latest reports on the war, two men entered his rookery. The maester recognized them at once as Jon and Ben Herston, the sons of the current Master of Laws, Ser Jeren Herston. The two brothers were nearly identical, save that Ben had, over the years, gained more and more weight on himself, while Jon had maintained his proper health. Regardless of weight, Bartimos cared for neither: they were unlike their father, with a ruthless streak made only worse when they paired themselves up together. Their arrival in his rookery, and both at the same time, could only bode ill tidings.

hPr6Vf8.png

"How are ya, this evening, maester?" Ben began. He sat himself down, grinning at Bartimos, obviously trying to get a rise out of him. Bartimos, however, showed no sign of being upset by this, which immediately made Ben snarl. The maester was not about to permit this man to easily rile him.

"I am quite fine, actually," Bartimos said, after Jon had settled himself into a standing position by his table, "I was catching up on the Greyjoy rebellion. There is a rumor that the boy's army may be sailing all the way around Dorne to assault King's Landing."

"We're not too concerned with that," Jon said, "we're concerned about here, in Herston Hall. And the regency."

"I am the regent," Bartimos said matter-of-factly.

"That ya are," Ben said, his cheeks engulfing his mouth as he smiled, "for now."

"We'll be blunt with you," Jon said, leaning forward and resting his hand son the desk as he drew his face closer to Bartimos, "we want you to surrender your regency to us. Let us run Herston Hall until that runt in the courtyard is old enough to take over."

"What right do you gentlemen believe you have to the regency?" Bartimos asked, keeping his face void of emotion.

Ben laughed, "He's a thick one, ain't he? Need we remind you of the name of this hall, good maester? Our family, by all rights, should own this place, but we lost it because King Robert loved his good friend Lorys too much. One little Herston death, and an upstart knight gets to sit his arse in the hall? Bah!"

"We don't want to draw blood," said Jon, "but we will. And don't think maesters can't be replaced."

Am I truly being threatened? Bartimos thought. Or were these men just bluffing? If it had been anyone else, he might have called it as a bluff, but he knew these two men all too well. Their father found them to be a disgrace, and no one in the hall trusted them. If they intended to kill him in his rookery and dub it an accident, they would be more than happy to do it. Bartimos glanced his eyes from one brother to another, studying their expressions: Jon's cold, stoic face and Ben's grinning, sadistic glee. No, beyond a shadow of a doubt, if these men wanted to kill Bartimos right here, they would do it. Even if it meant their immenent execution afterward, they would do it.

I will not fear, Bartimos began to think to himself. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the kindling that ignites the blaze of death. I am a maester of this hall, called to serve its master to the best of my ability... After a moment, Bartimos knew what he must do.

"I will gladly hand you over the regency," Bartimos replied, "without a struggle, and without any trouble on the part of you two men...but on one condition."

Jon snarled a little, "And what is that?"

Bartimos stood up now, intending to quietly show that this was one issue he intended to make with firmness, "I want to be in charge of the education of our lordship's issue."

Ben laughed, and Jon rolled his eyes. The latter remarked, "Take it – poison the little runts for all we care."

And so it was agreed upon.

tbz9pRU.png

Author's Note: I know that, in game, you can't have more than one person be regent at once, but for some reason the game fired off these two events one after the other, so I decided to roll with it in the story.

Bartimos had a good reason for his bargain. He realized that he may have had to give up the regency, but the regency would end when Andren reached majority age. In the meantime, Bartimos' most faithful duty would be to Herston Hall and the House of Threedrop. The most helpful he could be with all his skill and ability was to ensure that Andren, the heir and future Lord of Lockport, turned into the best lord possible. When he reached majority age, his education would be over, and the fruits of that education would come to light. Bartimos wanted to ensure that Andren would be as capable as his father, if not better. So it was that, after that day, the maester took the heir of Lockport under his wing and guidance, and began to tutor him daily.

nXFI7QQ.png

Andren was ten-years of age now, and under Arrec had grown little in his studies. Bartimos attempted to teach him in the ways of diplomacy, economy, and court politics. Although the boy was still being trained to be a knight, he already showed some skill in law, as well as in affairs of coinage. He was a remarkably bright boy for his age, really, and so it did not surprise Bartimos one afternoon when, looking up from his studies, Andren suddenly asked in a timid voice:

"Maester Bartimos...was my father good to my mother?"

The maester turned from a book he was reading to look Andren in the face, "Why do you ask that question?"

Andren bit his lip nervously, fiddling with his quill pen as afraid to continue, "Well...since father suffered in battle...I haven't seen mother sad. I haven't seen her happy, but...she seems to be taking it...too well...does that make sense? I'm sorry, Maester Bartimos."

I cannot blame your mother, Bartimos thought. He still remembered that faithful moment when he overheard the two talking, and Lord Lorys had made a personal jest at Eglantine's expense, regarding her past miscarriages. He knew how Lorys had spoken around his wife, regarding other women, as if Eglantine were not even in the same room. He knew that Lorys was willing to accept the offer of any woman who threw herself at him, and if none did, he went looking for a woman who was willing to try. He was amazed that Eglantine had remained faithful herself, and not gone into adultery and had her own affairs, as many women did in other courts. Yet how was he to explain all this to a ten-year old child, who had before only seen his father as the perfect example of knight and lord? How was he to explain this to a little boy with a father he loved infirm and in bed, expected to die at any moment?

Bartimos thought on all this carefully a moment, and then stood up, saying in a soft voice, "You do not need to apologize, Andren – I know very well what you mean. Andren, my dear lord, you must understand that your father had many talents: he was a fine warrior, a prudent leader, and a noble lord. However, as for being a husband, your father...had great immaturities. He was not bred to sit in halls and live with ladies, but to be on the field with his men, living as soldiers do. Do you understand my words, Andren?"

Andren's eyes looked down, and his expression sank so low that Bartimos was surprised his face did not fall to the floor. He had clearly been hurt by the words, even though the maester had worded them carefully. The truth, Bartimos knew, would hurt those who wanted to hear it. It did not matter if you spoke it bluntly, or you spoke it kindly – it would hurt nonetheless. Some men killed because they had heard the truth, while others never recovered from the blow. When Andren still seemed downtrodden by this revelation, Bartimos walked over and gently placed a hand upon his shoulder, smiling down at him as he whispered:

"But when you take a lady, someday, you must be better. Be as brave as your father was on the field, and as prudent as he was on the throne – but be far more loving in your household than he ever was."

Andren nodded, "Yes, Maester Bartimos...I will."

Bartimos wished for a happy distraction...and by the gods, he got it. A raven flew in, carrying on its leg a thick parchment that would clearly offer some lengthy information. Andren and Bartimos were both interested in it, and the maester quickly took the parchment and unrolled it quickly, scanning the contents. He smirked and turned to Andren, "Well well...I think the Seven Kingdoms will be at peace again when you take leadership, my lord."

The parchment spoke on the Greyjoy Rebellion. As it turned out, the rumors of an Iron Island assault on King's Landing were true: 15,000 Ironborn had landed outside the city, with a few thousand more landing in Rosby to loot and pillage. It was a foolhardy endeavor: a large force from the Reach marched on King's Landing and lifted the siege, while a force from the Riverlands marched into Rosby and obliterated the Ironborn forces there. The casualties outside King's Landing were so bad for the Ironborn that barely 4,000 made it out, heading north to link up with their brothers in Rosby, only to be caught between the Reachmen and Riverlanders. It was a serious loss for the Greyjoys, and already it was expected that Lord Norjen would come to King Robert to plea for a peace bargain.

kr6mz2h.png

"A pity," Andren said, "I was hoping the war would be far more exciting."

"War is never exciting," Bartimos said, rolling the parchment up, "at times it is necessary, and the intricacies of it can be fascinating to the thinking mind, but it is never exciting. You, of all people, should know that, Andren."

Andren nodded with a sudden sadness coming over his face, and Bartimos knew that he needed to say no more.

Now I know Andren is going to grow into a very interesting man with the teachings of Lorys and Bartimos combined. How many years does Andren have with Bartimos as his guardian? The few years with Bartimos will definitely make him a better ruler than his father. Still, his father's condition will have a supposedly negative impact on Andren's performance on the battlefield. What exactly does the changing of regent do?

Now I know Andren is going to grow into a very interesting man with the teachings of Lorys and Bartimos combined. How many years does Andren have with Bartimos as his guardian? The few years with Bartimos will definitely make him a better ruler than his father. Still, his father's condition will have a supposedly negative impact on Andren's performance on the battlefield. What exactly does the changing of regent do?

Andren will only have about five/six years with Bartimos, since majority age in CK2 is 16 (that's when your tutorship and regency officially ends).

In regards to what a regent does (if I recall correctly), their skills are counted for the government, rather than your own. Regent appointments and changes tend to be decided by the AI (although with the Charlemagne expansion, you can now designate someone to be a regent, should something happen to you), but why they change, I'm not entirely sure myself. The game here went crazy with my regent, and I just made up RP reasons for it.

Those Herston brothers look like real pieces of work, judging by their traits. Not people I'd keep my back turned on for very long.

With Lorys well and truly out of the picture, though, I wonder what's going to happen to his other children. Eglantine doesn't strike me as the type likely to pull a Cersei and off her husband's bastard offspring, but I expect life is going to be quite difficult for them nevertheless -- which could in turn affect their future relationship with their legitimate brother as well.

Those Herston brothers look like real pieces of work, judging by their traits. Not people I'd keep my back turned on for very long.

With Lorys well and truly out of the picture, though, I wonder what's going to happen to his other children. Eglantine doesn't strike me as the type likely to pull a Cersei and off her husband's bastard offspring, but I expect life is going to be quite difficult for them nevertheless -- which could in turn affect their future relationship with their legitimate brother as well.

Yes, there will be some rivalry going on. In any case, the next update will be from Eglantine's POV, and explain what she's doing at the moment.

Last edited:
Chapter 24: Eglantine

Herston Hall had become a strange place...it had become like its master: a sick creature, ready to die. It was not winter, and yet the inside of its halls had become colder, and appeared darker. Few people seemed as jovial as they had been, and the color seemed to have vanished from many of the tapestries which hung down on the walls. Torches and oil lamps seemed to purposefully burn not as brightly as they formerly had, and seemed to go out far too quickly and easily. Even the animals – from the dogs to the cats to the ravens in Maester Bartimos' rookery – seemed to lower their heads in depression, and move their bodies in slower movements. One might have expected the entire building to suddenly collapse, given the gloom and doom that had engulfed the entire scene.

Two deaths had rocked the hall in the past several months. Jon Herston, one of the regents, had died of a supposed illness in September of 301 AL – more likely, most suspected, his brother Ben poisoned him to gain full regency. Not too long after, Bryen, the supply manager for the hall guard and the aptly dubbed "accountant-turned-knight" who had served with Lorys against Dragonstone, had also passed away, albeit from natural causes.

Death had become a familiar thing to Eglantine, with her father's death, all the deaths at the court, her own miscarriages, and now her own lord husband's approaching death. She had not become immune to it, though it had almost become like a sentient creature to her. It was such a sad, cold bedfellow, this death. Deep inside, she wondered how anyone could truly embrace such a beast. For example, she had heard rumors that Lord Tywin Lannister had been murdered by his daughter Cersei. How could a daughter murder her own father? Eglantine's own father had been murdered by King Robert, and a day didn't go by when she didn't long to see her again. What sort of woman was this Cersei Lannister? Now, Casterly Rock was ruled by Lancel Lannister, Tywin's young nephew – what gain in that Cersei achieved, Eglantine was unsure. Perhaps there was some darker secret Tywin was aware of that she needed to keep quiet? Only the gods knew.

3zhP93z.png

Author's Note: In this world, Tyrion was never born. Sad, I know...

Lorys' health, meanwhile, continued to decline. In August of 302 AL, she found that his eyes began to whiten, and he seemed less responsive to sound than he had been before. She told Maester Bartimos about it when he next visited, and, after inspecting the lord thoroughly, he declared with sadness that he had become blind with age. It did not sadden Eglantine much, since he had never used those eyes for good when it came to her person. Never did he look at her with attraction, the way a wife expects a husband to look at her. No, he reserved such a look for other women around the courts and outside the walls. He only ever used those eyes to look at her with annoyance, or disdain, or apathy. He had never used those eyes for anything meaningful for her...and now he would never use those eyes for anything meaningful at all.

A9Vop5i.png

By June of 304 AL, Lorys' hair and beard had continued to grow. He was truly a shadow of himself: he was no longer that noble knight-turned-lord that had won some acclaim in Red Watch and in many circles of the Stormlands. Now, he was simply a dying old man, with growing hair and shrinking days. Combined with that grayscale scar still present on his cheek, one would have never imagined that this man had formerly commanded horseman across the Stormlands, or had charged with a team of knights against enemy positions, or had slayed lords who dare oppose him. This man had wooed countless whores, slain countless men, and drank countless tanks of ale. This man had lived, and he had lived to the fullest, exactly as he desired.

Eglantine had once heard her septa recite an old saying: The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. "My dear lord husband," she found herself whispering, "how very brightly you have burned..."

8JAALDT.png

Yet despite all this...Eglantine stayed by his side. She was in his room, reading to herself, or talking with her children, but always at his side. She left only to eat, or pray at the septon, or to sleep in a separate room that had been prepared for her. When she had free time, she spent it at her lord husband's side. She knew, of course, that he would have never done the same for her – in her darker moments, she imagined that he would have probably made love to another woman in the same bed where she lay infirm. Yet despite this, she felt like she had a duty as a wife to never leave his side at this moment in his life. They had been married in a special union...even if he would not honor it, that did not mean she could not honor it herself. What's more, she had her children to think of: she wanted them to see how a lady was to behave, and what to expect of in a wife. Even if Lorys could not be a proper model for a father, she could be a proper model for a mother.

"He may not have been a husband," Eglantine whispered to herself, as she gazed at her husband's body, "yet I have been a wife. No one can say otherwise."

She continued her practice of staying at Lorys' side day after day, well into the end of the year. Each day, Lorys began to decay more and more in his condition, and Bartimos looked more and more grieved every time he visited. The day was coming, she knew. The day would come when Bartimos would have to tell her that her lord husband had passed away. Yet Lorys lived, and that moment was delayed. When? When would it come?

One day, Eglantine heard wind from King's Landing: Cersei Lannister, at 38-years of age, had died. Apparently, there was some suspicion regarding her cause of death. No one knew why, but the concept of natural causes was gradually being ruled out. Someone had slain her through intrigue and treachery.

With a sigh, Eglantine muttered to herself, "So we die as we live..."

4PkjL7i.png

Looks like the last days of Lorys might be upon him... A sad, (not really, honestly), day indeed.

By the way, is there an option to remove your cursor from screenshots or something? I never take screenshots with highlighted decisions because the cursor usually blocks a lot of the text.

By the way, is there an option to remove your cursor from screenshots or something? I never take screenshots with highlighted decisions because the cursor usually blocks a lot of the text.

Weird. I've never had a problem with that. When I save a screenshot, it doesn't put the cursor on there.

Weird. I've never had a problem with that. When I save a screenshot, it doesn't put the cursor on there.

If I start up my game, take a screenshot and find no cursor, I'm going to kick myself. I've always avoided them because I just assumed the cursor would show up.

The once great warrior goes out with a whisper while his wife stay loyally by his side. I'm assuming Andren will succeed him. So, when will we get a look at his bastard children?

If I start up my game, take a screenshot and find no cursor, I'm going to kick myself. I've always avoided them because I just assumed the cursor would show up.

Just out of curiosity, are you using a PC, or a Mac? I've seen some Mac-based AARs where the cursor shows up. It might also depend on what program you're using to take screenshots: if you're doing Print Screen or something that would capture the cursor, it will probably show up; I use the F11 option in Steam, and I've never had it capture my cursor in the screenshot.

I hope Andren gets a military education trait and not a piety one

Fear not. Though he won't be the warrior his father was.

The once great warrior goes out with a whisper while his wife stay loyally by his side. I'm assuming Andren will succeed him. So, when will we get a look at his bastard children?

When the plot develops and they enter the picture :p Generally when I played this AAR, I would take screenshots of all the children at certain points in their lives, just to see how the traits had developed, but I don't think there will be any "state of the children" posts. They will be featured in future updates, however.

This is far one of the best AARs I have read.
THANK YOU :)

Wow, well thank YOU for those kind words. I appreciate it :)

Need more updates!

Yes it does. I have an update sort of written up, I just need to complete it, and then it can be posted, hopefully in the next day or so...

Chapter 25: Andren

MOmtP3A.png

By 305 AL, Andren was fifteen...and still unmarried. That had begun to worry him. All his siblings, even the bastard ones, were betrothed and being prepped for marriage. Bonifer, Andren's legitimate younger brother, was himself betrothed to Lord Paramount Mary Baratheon of the Stormlands. He held this factor over his head many a time, saying something to the effect of, "I get to stick my sword in a lord paramount's sheath – what have you to show?" It drove Andren insane every single time, though he never tried to defend his honor: he was too busy being upset at being the Lockport heir, and at the same time the top Lockport bachelor. Maester Bartimos had, reportedly, been saving a very good wife for Andren, on his lord father's orders, and while Andren had the utmost respect for Maester Bartimos, he couldn't help but wonder just what was taking him so long to find the right noblewoman.

Even King Robert was married by now...again. Shortly after the death of Cersei Lannister, King Robert had married Gywn Arryn, the Lord Paramount of Vale. Though young in age, Gywn was a masterful diplomat, and clearly she had seen great potential for the Vale and House Arryn in this marriage. Some had speculated that she was behind the death of Cersei, though there was little evidence to support this. Either way, the Vale had suddenly risen to prominance in Westeros, and House Arryn suddenly had a very good seat in King's Landing. It probably did not help that Gywn Arryn was reportedly much easier to get along with as a wife than Cersei Lannister had ever been.

CuuhRX8.png

Finally, one day, Maester Bartimos came to Andren with a small smile on his face. He had found Andren in the dining hall, where Andren was sitting by himself at a table hoping to be undisturbed. As the maester came around the rows of tables and towards him, that smile told Andren that something was surely afoot. The maester, he remembered, rarely showed any kind of emotion, unless either really good news or bad news had arrived on one of his ravens.

"Andren," the maester began, "I have most excellent news for you: you are now to marry someone."

Andren smiled, "Is that so? Well, that is good to hear! I was starting to worry I would still be alone when I hit majority age."

"You will still be for quite a while, I am afraid," Bartimos explained. "You see, I have betrothed you to someone who is, at this time, only five name days of age."

Andren raised an eyebrow. Well, he may have to endure Bonifer's mockings for another ten years. More important on Andren's mind, however, was just who this girl was that the maester of Herston Hall would betroth her to the Threedrop heir, even if at five name days of age?

"Who is this girl?" Andren finally asked.

"Victoria Lannister," Bartimos replied.

Andren's eyes widened, and his lips parted slightly. He stared at the maester for a good while before saying, "To what house does she belong...?"

Bartimos smiled a bit more, which showed he was (in rare form) getting quite a kick out of this conversation, "The House of Lannister, of Casterly Rock. She is the eldest child of Lancel Lannister, the current Lord Paramount."

Andren was now betrothed to a girl who belonged to one of the noblest families in Westeros, who was daughter to the Lord Paramount of Casterly Rock and the nephew of the late Tywin Lannister. Yes, indeed, the maester had truly outdone himself.

YtiKwvN.png

Life went on as normal as possible. Slowly and surely, Andre was taking in more and more responsibility. At one point, he learned what it was to command as a lord. It came when he discovered that there was a rumor that his mother, Lady Eglantine, and Maester Bartimos were having an affair. He did not believe it in the slightest – in fact, the whole thing was absurd to him. For one, he knew Bartimos far too well: the maester took the meaning of the chain around his neck as something like a wedding cloak; he was married to his position, and took his relation to it far more seriously than some husbands took their wedding vows. For another, he highly doubted his mother would ever do anything like this while his father was ill. After his father's fall during battle, Andren had grown much closer to his mother, and had come to admire her as a woman, and the lady of the house. He discovered who it was who was spreading such rumors, and confronted them in the sternest words possible. His threat was simple and to the point: all talk of his mother and the maester having an affair ended. Now. When he said this, he was told later by some eavesdroppers that he became something like his father when he grew serious. Andren did not mind that.

Finally, there came one night when Andren was awoken from his bed by one of the servants. He was told that the maester desperately wanted to see him, and that Bartimos was in his parents' chamber. Andren threw on a robe and rushed quickly down the hall, hearing nothing but the patter of his feet and the thoughts in his head. Was something wrong with mother as well? Had his father's condition worsened? When he got to the door of the chamber, he found it partly opened, and rushed in without announcing himself. What he found inside was his father, lying still in bed, with Bartimos standing over him. Footmen and servants were nearby, their heads lowered. No one seemed to notice him until he took a few more steps inward and asked in a tone just loud enough to be audible:

"What has happened? What is wrong?"

It was the maester who first acknowledged him, turning to look at him with a sad expression. Bartimos let out a sigh, and his eyes parted from Andren for but a moment, as if a second's hesitation overcame him, and then he gazed back. Looking the young man square in the eyes, the maester said in a low voice, "My dear Andren...you are now the Lord of Lockport and Herston Hall."

Andren went silent, and still as a statue. It took him but a moment to comprehend the maester's words...even longer to comprehend their implication. He was Lord of Lockport, now? And master of Herston Hall? And yet his father...no, no this could only mean one thing. His father was now dead. Lord Lorys had passed away; he had at last succumbed to his wounds and his age. He had fought hard against both, just like the warrior he was...but all men must die. For six years, Lorys Threedrop had remained in bed. For six years, Lorys Threedrop had refused to die. Now, he had passed on. Now, someone must take his place.

And Andren Threedrop was the heir. He had been groomed for this day, and now it had come.

"Hail, the Lord of Lockport and Herston Hall!" cried a servant. Bartimos bowed his head solemnly and respectfully as other servants and footmen joined in, chanting the cry.

It was May 21, 306 AL...and suddenly, at just sixteen years of age, Andren was in much more power than he had expected to be. And for the House of Threedrop, a new era had begun...

8O1EvfU.png

Well, I think Lorys would prefer it this way. Death was better than the state he was in. Andren had a bright future ahead of him with his soon-to-be wife. I'm assuming the marriage also brings about an alliance, right? I'm getting a feeling that, since Lorys had his accident, Eglantine has spent a lot of time caring for him and not enough for Andren. It's nice to know that mother and son are still close. Time for a new chapter in the House of Threedrop.

Long live Lord Andren of Herston Hall!

Andren and Bartimos seem to be of quite different temperaments to their predecessors, but they both seem to be getting along quite famously with one another as well. Hopefully they'll be just as effective at governing together.

I do have to wonder, though, if Lorys would hang his head in shame at Andren's poor swordplay :p