• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amric, you will be pleased with my next update :)

Judge, seeing that you often agree with Amric, you too will be pleased with it :D

On a serious note, thanks for stopping by and here is my real plans as far as the Ottomans go.

1. No Ottomans on this side of Thrace (Thrace will have to be theirs, unless I decide to cheat and move their capital back to Anatolia).

2. Occupy one Catholic province in the vicinity of Thrace (Ionian islands might do, even Crete, for that matter) and declare war on Turks every time they try to expand in the Balkans.

3. Free scores of Balkan states without allying to them (since all of them will be my vassals, at least for awhile, there won't be any big alliance there. Individual countries will fight individual countries. After awhile, I might start supporting the big ones and, once the leader is established, I will invite the country in my alliance. Hungary had the chance long time ago. Now it is Polish vassal. I have my eyes on Croatia, but Greeks or Serbs will do just fine).

The reign of Ferdinand III: 1637-1658

Numerous battles with the Ottomans. Numerous battles with rebels. Occasional wars with France. He ruled just like his father. The same tactics, the same politics, the same results. He started to rule like him. He died ruling like him. Blessed is the father that has a son like that. Cursed is the nation that has a ruler like that.

In 1638 the Ottomans gave up fighting Croatia and ceded Bosnia. In 1639 the Sultan ceded four more provinces to Austria, out of which three countries were formed: Bulgaria, Serbia and Ragusa.

hab31.jpg

Russia continued to take away from Poland. This time it was the turn of Kurland and Daghestan.

In 1640's Austrian constant attacks on the Ottomans finally paid off - the Turkish regime seemed to begin collapsing. First it was Tunisia, which declared independence, then Tripolitania. Three provinces defected to the ruler of Morocco. Three more formed Algiers. The rest of the Ottoman possessions in Africa followed the Algerians soon enough. Needless to say, it would take decades for Algiers to build its navy. Piracy was virtally non-existant in the Mediterranean.

In 1641 it was noted that Spain left anti-Austrian coaltion. War was declared on Saxony (Bremen, Sweden and France). Saxony lost Anhalt, French ceded Maine to Brittany, Orleans and Poitou to Burgundy. Numerous peasant revolts were put down with unseen brutality - the revolts were becoming more than just an annoyance. They were irritating. More than 100,000 peasants took up arms against the Archduke. Add to this an attack by Gelre and Provence and one can finally understand the frustration of the Archduke.

hab32.jpg

More rebels...

hab33.jpg

Only in 1648, when he settled for peace with France, peace came to the Empire.

hab34.jpg

In 1650 the Ottomans declared war on Hellas. The Archduke was called on to protect his Greek vassal. He could not refuse the call.

In 1651 France declared war on Brittany. God must have been playing jokes on Austria - but to think it out loud would have meant to face the inquisition. Most declined. Some rebelled against the Archduke's authority. This he had seen before also.

In 1654 France paid some 400,000 ducats to Brittany. All Austrian victories were in vain for French should have paid with land for their aggression. The struggle in the Balkans continued.

Austrian navy time after time defeated the Ottoman fleets in the Adriatic. The army enjoyed the support of volunteers. If it was not for the stupid peasants, Ferdinand would be happy with the way that war went. However, a large peasant revolt that managed to capture Vienna itself was too much even for the most stoic man. More bloodshed followed.

In 1656 the Ottomans agreed to leave Hellas alone and ceded Dalmatia to Croatia and Wallachia to Austria. Wallachia was soon granted independence. There was a chance they might lose it soon, but Ferdinand III was as big of a gambler as his father. Just like his father he was wrong about this bet - Wallachia did not last more than five years.

hab35.jpg

Luckily he did not realize it. He died in 1658 from a stroke brought by the news of yet another rebellion in Italy. His successor was Archduke Leopold I.

P.S. Somewhere along the his long journey as a ruler of Austria, Ferdinand managed to convince Naples to join his domain. The world (as well as the author of these chronicles) did not care and, consequently, did neither notice nor celebrate.

Last edited:
Nice Turk bashing! Pity France didn't lose more, but there is always next time, I'm sure. Great stuff, my friend!

This is quite an interesting AAR, love the screenies! I also like how you don't hold everything you take ;) you must've granted Croatia independence at least three times!

On another note: Poor france :(

Amric, thank you, and please don't pity France :(

TreizeV, Wallachia, I think, holds the record now :D As for France, the bastards come back soon, although their future is still undecided (read: my allies are losers, I can beat the foe, I have no idea what to do next with the phoenix called France :))

Ah I simply love when you smack a country and then due to the smacking the country simply falls apart. Especially nice is to keep offering peace deals that you know will be rejected but lower the stability and when your opponent has –3 and huge rebellions all over their territory you make peace. Well the Turk seem whacked but not dead, I expect to read of the full annexation in next update:D . The Frog should also be sent to the grave:)

I like the way you're handling the results of your wars. Austrian Archduke, protector of the balkans? :D The ottos don't deserve that land!

Judge, I did not even "pressure" them into low stability :D They ran out of men and when rebels came around, the Ottomans simply couldn't fight them. Besides, with independent Mamelukes, Africa is too far away to support - especially with Austrian navy guarding the sea.

Anibal, the Balkans look even prettier in my next installment :)

The topic of poor France - why should I keep beating on a Catholic nation? They attack me - I defend. They keep a low profile - I leave them alone. The problem is that France has legitimate claims on Brittany and Burgundy and keeps attacking them poor Duchies every time I start the war with the Ottomans. Solution? Rather obvious one :) See if you can figure it out before tomorrow.

Originally posted by nalivayko
The topic of poor France - why should I keep beating on a Catholic nation? They attack me - I defend. They keep a low profile - I leave them alone. The problem is that France has legitimate claims on Brittany and Burgundy and keeps attacking them poor Duchies every time I start the war with the Ottomans. Solution? Rather obvious one :) See if you can figure it out before tomorrow.

Diplomatically incorporate Brittany and Burgundy into your realm, and when France's AI looks at you it'll wet itself and move along?

The problem with this one is that I don't plan to expand beyond the borders of HRE and Italy :) A couple of provinces may be allowed but Burgundy and Brittany at the same time... Hm, I don't think so :D I set the former free and I don't want to take this freedom away from it. Good guess anyway, keep on trying...

What a fantastic AAR, I´m enjoying it a lot, as a good Habsburg :D

Thanks for the work, nalivayko :)

Thank you, DJuan and you're welcome :)

Vassalize all of them. That ought to solve the problem, I would think....

Amric, A+, an elegant solution indeed :) I vassalize that damn blue spot on the left, befriend it and make it my ally. Thus, all of France will be under my control except for the provinces controlled by England, Spain and Provence (two former in alliance). Taking care of them should be fun, considering England has far stronger navy than mine (Spain's ain't so bad neither).

Thank you....I kind of figured that would be your thinking. Having seen you in action before, and from our conversations and playing together as well I think I had the inside track on your thinking. Still a good solution considering the restrictions you have placed upon yourself.

The reign of Leopold I: 1659-1705

Leopold I, the Archduke of Austria... soon to become Leopold I, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and move the Imperial throne from Madrid to Vienna... started his rule in 1659. The beginning of his reign was relatively peaceful.

In 1662 Albania declared its independence from the Ottomans. It was a good sign... or so Albania thought until the Turks managed to reconquer the country.

In 1664 Leopold, like many leaders around Europe, got dissappointed in Counter-Reformation and made peace with Protestants... at least on paper. If there was no way to persuade them to come back to Mother Church, he would force them to do so.

In 1665 war was declared on Gelre, which was a thorn in the Archduke's butt for quite a long period of time. In 1670 this thorn was removed after exhausting war against Gelre's allies - Provence, England and Hessen. Hessen was eliminated as well - the Archduke's impatience with the Electors was beginning to show. He was determined to become the only Elector of the Empire.

England paid 200,000 ducats, while Provence was let go for much less. English attacked both in Italy and Germany, impressing Ferdinand with their army and not impressing the Austrian admirals with their fleets.

Wallachia was annexed by the Ottomans in 1674... again. Soon the Ottomans declared war on Hellas.

Austria retaliated by declaring war on the Ottomans. Scotland thought it was good moment to reconquer Brittanya and drag Provence into the brawl. Wishfull thinking indeed. Blessed are those who dream for they sometimes may get to do it for free... Needless to say Brittany made peace with Scotland with no territorial gains for Austria and her alliance.

The war with the Ottomans raged for years... business as usual. Constantinople fell and Austrians for the first time (or did it too happened before?) invaded Asia Minor. Even France honored the long-established tradition of attacking the Habsburg empire from the west, when the latter is embroiled in the struggle with the infidel in the east. This problem had to be addressed. With France came Saxony, Bremen and Sweden. Two of these countries were declaring war on Habsburgs for the last time. The first was Saxony.

The Ottomans conducted a successful (to a point) invasion of Sicily. They must have realized the strategic importance of this island (as it was a threat to their communications lines with Africa - or whatever part they still owed of it). Needless to say, they were soon kicked out of there.

In 1683 Bulgaria (as it was, Austria granted independence to the infidel - Bulgaria was converted to Islam by the Ottomans and the previous Archduke did not bother to check the state's religion before releasing it as a vassa;. This vassalship did not last long) declared war on Hellas. It ended in a draw, but the Bulgars seemed to be gaining an upper hand - a first defensive war with Serbia some years ago seemed to toughened her soldiers.

By that time Austria was finally able to gather enough troops to invade France. Alas, Burgundy capitulated couple of months later, ceding Berri and Orleans. The Austrian allies could not match French might - even as France was down on her knees. Again, thought the Archduke, this problem has to be addressed.

And so, a year later, von Starhemberg - a talented general, skilled in siege warfare, and Prince Eugene - a talented general period, were given an honor to subjugate French once and for all.

Before that the Ottomans finally gave their hopeless attempt to resist the Habsburg invasion and ceded Rumelia, Dobrudja and Wallachia. Wallachia, once again, was granted independence.

In 1686 Hellas accepted tribute from the Ottomans. Greece was spared the fate of Wallachia, Croatia and Albania. Her independence was insured. Especially after the province of Morea rebelled against the Ottomans and joined the Greek state.

In 1688 people of Siena declared their independence. This stresses how much Austria needed to troops to fight various rebellions in all corners of her domains. Soon people of Siena lost their independence. This was hardly a suprise even to the rebels.

hab36.jpg

In 1692 Hellas ceded Macedonia to Bulgaria after the second war has been fought between two countries. Balkans and Greece proved to be a fighting ground for many small states after Austrians fought so hard to liberate them. At least, the fact that so many of them remained Austrian vassals, insured no alliance wars in the region.

In 1694 Saxons rebelled after a brief period of Austrian rule. The war with France was still raging on and Saxons hoped that this meant the Habsburg hold over the Holy Roman Empire was weakening. They were re-annexed a year later, but not before France - with all her provinces occupied by Austrian forces - surrendered to Leopold I. Louis XIV acknowledged himself a vassal to Austrian Archduke and after accepting couple of bribes from Leopold, agreed to join Austrian alliance.

Soon Dobrudja was granted to Wallachia and Rumelia to Bulgaria - with all the rebels that came with both of them.

hab37.jpg

In 1700 the last Habsburg King of Spain - Carlos II - has passed away, leaving his kingdom to Louis XIV's newphew. Leopold I, who spent thousands of ducats on bribing Catholic rulers across Europe, was elected the Emperor and was determined to rule Spain as well. He felt he should have been granted the Spanish throne - just as Karl V was in 1516. It took him two years to prepare for this war... when it came it still looked as if he didn't.

The war started in 1702. Spain had on her side the superb navies of England and Portugal and, arguably, one of the best military machines in history of mankind. Her ability to field 200,000 men proved to be a formidable obstacle on a way to Madrid.

Meanwhile, the Imperial forces of Leopold I boasted some 70,000 men led by Prince Eugene and von Starhemberg. Some 50,000 reinforcements were being marched from Bohemia and Italy. Imperial Mediterranean fleet had some more than 40 vessels - about 20 warhsips within it. It was thought a best fleet to sail the waves of the Mediterranean... that is until English showed up from the base in Tunisia (which they conquered some 20-30 years ago). In the same time, France, Burgundy and Brittany were able to field some 80,000 men that would prove crucial to the Austrian success.

However, three years into the war, Leopold I, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire (no more just an Archduke of Austrua, passed away). While the honor of starting this great war belonged to him, it would be Joseph I, still the Emperor, who would get to finish it. Thus, it would be more appropriate to tell about this conflict in the next chapter.

Last edited:
Very nice, but the last of the Swiss and Venice must be conquered. They mar the pretty white blob on your map. They will just have to go, no help for it I am afraid. Watch out for the mountains of Spain...as you know, cavalry does not do well there...

Seems like your doing pretty well for yourself ;) shaping the balkans like that.

Im also surpised France even managed a recovery! Perhaps its because of the good leaders she gets under Louis XIV.

Im curious to see how you deal with nappy :D