• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Malmø, Sweden
February, 1858

The sun is not yet over the horizon, but the people of Malmø hardly notice its absence. The forge-lit factories have long since opened to take in the shivering hordes of stril workers from the dismal tenements; now the eternal, melodious BING-BING-BING of steam-powered drop hammers peal out over the snowy cityscape, broken only by the angry-god-screaming of furnaces and the tooth-grating whine of lathes. Here is the heart of Norway's strength; the cannon that smashed London were forged here, from iron mined only a few dozen kilometers north.

Around the vast factories lie even greater areas of squalid tenements, row upon row, towering six or seven stories tall and so close together that no sun ever reaches the street. But strils have little need of sunshine, toiling as they do fourteen hours a day in the factories they are assigned at birth. An iron bureaucracy monitors each hour of their lives; from the moment an infant's name is entered into the stril-book, to the day when its broken body is thrown into the eternal corpse-fires, there is always a form to fill out - birth, death, assignment to new work, sickness, marriage, moving to a new tenement, loss of limbs in accidents... They are all recorded; in the outskirts of Malmø, the growth of slag heaps is outpaced only by the construction of enormous archival halls to hold the papers that record a stril's every movement. Their words, too, are set down on paper; it is easy to buy informants among such a people. A higher ration of coal; an additional blanket; a day off; assignment to easier work - for such bribes, anyone might betray a brother or friend, and many do. Conspiracy is impossible, rebellion a private dream.

Iron clangor; taste of coal in the air; snow grey with ashes; warmth only near a forge. Such is the life of a stril.

----------------------------------------------------​

The war with Poland was ostensibly fought for control of the industrial lands around the Elbe; the real reason was the growing concern of the Polish leadership with Norwegian industrialisation. The humiliation of England had been a powerful warning. Hoping to profit by the length of the unguarded border - the Ynglinga Hird was deployed on the western coast against possible English retaliation - the Poles attacked without warning, swarming into Norwegian Germany and Finland.

The Poles, however, were ill prepared for the swiftness that a modern train system, and a General Staff thoroughly prepared for mobilisation problems, lent to the Norwegian response. While Finland was abandoned to guerrilla effort and defense by distance, Norwegian troops reached Stralsund only a week after the initial declaration, while it was still in the hands of its local garrison. The fait accompli that the Poles had hoped to present as a basis for negotation was thereby turned into a grinding slog against constantly stiffening resistance, for which their lightly equipped troops were ill prepared. The Ynglinga Hird, with breech-loading rifles and a battery to every regiment, threw the invaders back to the border with contemptuous ease. There, however, they were forced to halt by logistical concerns, particularly the need to reinforce Finland.

Although defeated in the initial battles, the Poles were still numerous, and their hard-earned experience in modern warfare was put to good use - as one Yngling general put it, "When you play hnefatafl with good players, you get good." With the Finnish front stabilised, the Norwegians gathered their strength for a massive thrust towards Krakow; knowing that they would be unable to stand against the terrible massed artillery of Yngling formations, the Poles at first gave way, and then snapped the jaws of a trap, striking at the vulnerable Norwegian flanks - held by auxiliary stril troops, without the heavy artillery that first-line Yngling formations were issued. An army of a hundred thousand men was cut off and threatened with annihilation; its loss would be a disaster of the first order to a manpower-strapped Norway. Fortunately, a relieving army of Yngling reserves, called up for garrison and occupation duty, was able to fight its way through the blocking Polish army and extricate most of their comrades, though with the loss of all their heavy equipment.

The initial attacks:
FirstClashes.jpg

Although disaster had thus been averted by a narrow margin, the Yngling troops were nevertheless forced onto the defensive on the Baltic front, and the Poles were content (after a few memorable disasters) to let their entrenchments alone; the main action thus moved to Finland.

Stalemate:
BalticFront.jpg

Although there had been fighting in the north in previous wars, it had never been on such a scale; before the introduction of railroads, the trackless wastes had never been able to support large numbers of troops. Now, however, men fought and died by the tens of thousands; in a single brief Arctic summer, two Polish armies died, and a hundred thousand men marched into captivity, to die in the distant mines of America.

Success in the north:
FinnishFront.jpg

However, the Poles raised new regiments from their inexhaustible Siberian domains, and as the fighting moved into the broad plains of Russia, the Yngling offensive bogged down. The vast expanse of land that had to be held prevented any proper concentration of force; even with the divisions spread dangerously thinly, the left flank hung in the air, not quite reaching the Urals. Only reinforcement by newly arrived colonial troops allowed Moscow to be taken, and then by the thinnest of margins, against a stubborn and well-fought Polish defense.

Moscow.jpg

Even Polish reserves of manpower were not infinite, though; the steady drain of strength from the quiescent Baltic front, and the rebuilding of the heavy artillery lost in the initial disasters, permitted the commanders there to again consider offensive operations. The breakout began with a heavy attack in the direction of Danzig; it ended with a score of Polish divisions surrounded and dying, and the way to Krakow open.

Breakout!
CounterAttack.jpg

By now, though, Norwegian logistics were strained to the breaking point, with the movement of so much skilled labour out of the factories. Besides, other Powers were making concerned noises about the balance of power. The peace treaty, therefore, was not too shattering when it came; Poland's core territories were left untouched, and it was even permitted to keep most of its colonies. Its power to fight, however, had been drastically reduced for years to come; any future conflict would see Norway's Baltic flank safe, at least for a generation.

Victory.jpg

Code:
"April 22, 1861 : Norway accepted peace with Poland on the following 
terms : Cameta to Norway, Ivanovo to Norway, Tobolsk to Norway, Perm to 
Norway, Nelson to Norway, Monorovia to Norway, Buke to Norway, Dida to 
Norway, Duala to Norway, Porto de Moz to Norway, Koroko to Norway, 
Odienne to Norway, Beyla to Norway & Chukotka to Norway. "

----------------------------------------------------​

Damn the AI, anyway; I was all set to expand my industries, and they went and attacked my completely unguarded border! And, I admit, I got a little overconfident when my artillery-heavy armies totally smashed them, and didn't keep a continuous front. There's a mistake I won't make again. In the end, I just accepted the first peace offer that gave me any territory, since playing against the AI isn't exactly a fair match. I really need to expand my war industries; at the current rate of small arms production, I can build a division every forty days. As for artillery, you don't want to know. Not a flake on the market, either. Fortunately I have all the sulphur I need.

King of Men said:
Code:
"April 22, 1861 : Norway accepted peace with Poland on the following 
terms : Cameta to Norway, Ivanovo to Norway, Tobolsk to Norway, Perm to 
Norway, Nelson to Norway, Monorovia to Norway, Buke to Norway, Dida to 
Norway, Duala to Norway, Porto de Moz to Norway, Koroko to Norway, 
Odienne to Norway, Beyla to Norway & Chukotka to Norway. "

Wow, while not exactly the most valuable provinces that's still a nice chunk of land. Now that you're in Vicky there's no limit to how much territory you're allowed to take in a peace treaty?

Well, compared to the size of Poland, it's not very much. But yes, we did away with the limits. Anyway, for what it cost me, I'd much rather do without the war.

I'll see what I can do about a screenie, but I won't have time today.

The war seemed like a close run thing, especially with that defeat in pomerania. At least you can claim a glorious victory, even if the reality was far from it.

We didn't have a session this week due to incredibly annoying technical problems. It's getting to the point where Yngling Norway is having less trouble with its enemies than I am in keeping the game going... But we shall not fail nor flag, and so on. Perhaps I'll use my new laptop to play Persia with my left hand, or something.

About Poland, it wasn't as close as all that; with total control of the Baltic, there was never any question of them invading my Scandinavian heartlands - Finland is rather easily defensible, after all. So basically, I just had to build enough divisions to hold a reasonable front, and then I could rely on my superior technology (and the human-vs-AI advantage) to smash them back. Still, it was closer than I thought it would be when I totally crushed their initial attack.

So, I promised some screenies of my conquests. They're kind of spread out, but here they are :

Russia:
ivanovo.jpg

America:
Nelson.jpg

Siberia:
chukotka.jpg

Africa:
Duala.jpg

When I come to look at these provinces, they're actually pretty good. Ok, the Siberian one is 5000 fishermen, but in Russia there's timber and iron, there's timber in Canada, even the African ones have a bit of timber, plus coffee and some cotton. Not bad at all as African RGOs go. (Incidentally, timber is the one good in which I'm the leading producer, with about 25% of the world's production. For most other goods, I average around 10%, except the exotic raw materials like silk and opium.) I think I'll be able to afford to promote my Norwegian labourers in timber RGOs to craftsmen, which will be a nice gain of industry.

That's unusual, an AI peace offer that leads to nicer looking borders of all things. :eek: ;)

Is Persia still AI-ed? Seems like a tempting target with all that non-contiguous territory, though your plans are perhaps focused elsewhere. Looks like you're in excellent position for the race to "civilize" Africa. :)

Yep, Persia is AI, though (hope springs eternal) perhaps one of the many people who have reported interest might play it this week. I think China also had some designs on it. :D My borders will look nicer still after I annex Kokand, the little brown blob in the Urals - the troops are already marching, it'll happen about one month into the next session.

As for Africa, I am indeed in a fine position to civilise the Sub-Saharan, ie worthless, part of it. Though it's not as good as it looks, the four blue provinces on the east coast aren't mine, they're Egypt.

12 March, 1864
Håkon's Hall, Bergen

"...it is therefore my solemn duty to inform you that a state of war exists between the Empire of Great Britain and the Yngling Realm."
There was a disbelieving silence; at last the King spoke, rising from his seat to tower over the Englishman. "After the treatment we gave you people last time, you still want to try it again?" The scarred Yngling, a giant even among a people noted for size and strength, looked as though he could squeeze out the ambassador's life with one hand, and indeed he quite likely could; but if the Englishman was slightly built, still there was steel in him, and his voice was steady as he replied. Only the look in his eye gave away his hatred.
"I think you'll find, sir, that it is one thing to fall without warning upon a peace-loving people minding their own business; and quite another to fight a nation of two hundred million who have chosen their own time for revenge." Having gotten the last word, he turned to leave; but as he reached the door of the audience chamber, he stopped, and turned again to face the Ynglings. "My sister was in London before the Rising. I hope I may make the acquaintance of some of yours, in due time; I feel I might have much to discuss with such a woman."

------------------------------------------------------------​

18 April, 1864
The Skagerrak

The invasion fleet was a grand sight, hundreds of full-rigged ships, White Ensigns snapping in the fresh breeze. By contrast, the little squadron coming out to meet it looked small and dark, grubby with coal smoke and rather low-slung next to the vast white wings of the sailing ships. The only glint of colour was in the Golden Lion flying from their foretops. But they made ten knots against the wind; by the time the British were aware of their danger, the dragon heads of the ironclads' prows were showing above the water as they gained speed for their ramming run. Chaser guns tried futilely to halt their rush, but the cannonballs merely clanged off iron plating with tooth-grating skirrs, like the world's largest fingernail being drawn down a blackboard. Then the ironclads smashed into their targets with enormous CRUNCH sounds, before retreating to let the water in. Ten ships sunk in as many minutes, and the battle just beginning. The black ships with their dragon-headed prows were snakes among the rabbits. Full broadsides bounced off their plating; their own cannon, firing explosive shell instead of iron shot, set fires blazing all over the invasion fleet.

By sundown, the flower of the Royal Navy lay in wreckage all along the coast, and the gulls squabbled over the army that had been intended to land in Bergen and subdue the Ynglings in a week.

--------------------------------------------------​

I do believe the AI miscalculated a bit there. Certainly, the Royal Navy was a fine match for what I had at the moment of the declaration. However, I had ten ironclads coming down the build queue; they were completed two weeks after the war began. Heads rolled, no doubt, at the Admiralty. Nonetheless, to fight the British Empire when you haven't got the drop on them is no joke; more to follow.

Last edited:
This is what I would call a crazy game. Like... wow...

I will be following this.

The destruction of the invasion fleet gave Norway a commanding power over the Atlantic Ocean, but did not of itself end the war. Rather, it ensured that there would be a long, exhausting struggle; and for such a conflict, the British Empire with its vast resources was far better suited than Norway, whose strength lay in sudden deadly assault where the fighting qualities of the splendid Yngling troops could come to the fore. Nonetheless, the war was on, and the Ynglings went to it with a will, whatever their private fears.
The question was, where should the enemy be fought? With control of the oceans, Norway was in the happy position of being able to decide where the action should lie. The invasion of England was contemplated, but rejected as impossible; the islanders had not wasted their time since the previous war, and their island was now a well-defended fortress, not the green and pleasant land over which Norwegian troops had had such easy marches. India was also considered, but - command of the sea or none - the difficulties of supply were great; and in any case, even a great victory in that theater would not be decisive. India could go, and Britain would fight on. This was even more true of Australia and Japan. That left America, where a large army was pressing down out of Canada on the Norwegian possessions. Victory here would deprive the British of vast resources and a strong army; it was also the one front on which they might be brought to action. The I, II and III Corps of the Ynglinga Hird were therefore immediately dispatched to invade Canada from the sea, with the twin objects of disrupting British supply lines and immediately occupying some of their territory, thus improving the propaganda situation.
The landings were unopposed, and a rapid advance was made south to the prewar border. However, the difficult terrain north of the Great Lakes, and a stubborn British defense, made it necessary to form a defensive line here. In the face of increasing partisan attacks, and British troops brought up from the south to form a line of defense just south of Washington, the Yngling advance stalled. Now, for the first time, was seen the devastating power of modern artillery, when combined with machine guns and entrenchments, to halt an attack by even the best-trained troops. The Ynglings were still supreme in personal combat; there were no faster marchers or better shots in the world; but no amount of skill and courage could get a battalion up to a line defended by machine guns in more than company strength. Much Yngling blood was expended in proving this on the British pocket around Binghamton, and their defense line north of the Lakes. The pocket, deprived of supplies and reinforcements, was at last liquidated; but by then, the British had formed a strong defensive line, heavy with fortification, and the Norwegian divisions were drained and exhausted. It was clear that there could be no question of continuing the campaign in the spring of 1866. Preparations were made for bringing reinforcements from the new divisions forming in Norway, to be landed in south of the Potomac and sweep west, surrounding the British lines. But before this plan could be brought into action, the war took a decisive turn for the worse.

From Berserker to Battleship : Norway 1066-1920, Bergenhus University Press.​

The initial attacks:
CanadianFront1865.jpg

The black line shows the defensive line that the Yngling troops finally took up in order to safeguard the flank of the main advance into the Norwegian colonies. The dashed lines show the further advances that were planned; these were eventually abandoned due to stubborn British resistance and the difficulty of the terrain.

The attack towards Washington:
EastSeaboard1865.jpg

At this stage the British lines in the theater were still unformed, and in spite of the partisans, Yngling troops were able to advance rapidly. In a campaign of movement, their fine qualities as warriors came to the fore; in general, a Norwegian general would feel quite confident in his ability to defeat two British divisions with one of his own, and to defeat any counterattack of less than four-to-one odds.

Formation of the Bingham pocket:
BingPocket1866.jpg

The dogged courage of the men defending the Pocket, which lasted for several months in the face of the severest difficulties of supply, held up the planned Yngling advance and permitted the formation of a strong defensive line from Manassas to the Great Lakes.

The race for Washington:
EastSeaboard1866.jpg

While several divisions were committed to the liquidation of resistance around Bingham, the remainder scrambled for Washington and the eastern seaboard. The offensive power diverted to Bingham was sorely missed in this race, as the British were able to dig in with a scratch force and finally halt the Norwegian advance.

--------------------------------------------------------​

March 29th, 1866
Håkon's Hall, Bergen

"...it is therefore my solemn duty to inform you that a state of war exists between the Kingdom of Burgundy, and the Yngling Realm."
There was absolute silence. Then King Håkon, sixth of that name, rose slowly from his throne. Two years of hard-fought war had left him thinner than when he had faced the ambassador of the British Empire, but he still moved with the deadly grace of an Yngling about to pounce. His spadelike hands made little twitching movements as he spoke, as though longing to bury themselves in the guts of the insignificant little stril who faced him, but he kept his fury out of his voice. "So the jackal has come for his share of what the lions have won. Fine then; take what you can. I give you this for your first spoil of war : Je me souviens." The King's face was pale but composed as he spat the unofficial motto of the Dukes of Burgundy back at their modern representative. The stril bowed, unmoved. "I trust Your Majesty will indeed have ample time to remember, in the prison to which his crimes against the German people have condemned him".

--------------------------------------------------------​

As you might expect, I was a little annoyed by this. It was at this time that I hit the panic button, ie mobilised - until now I'd been happy to duke it out with regular troops. I still had to abandon Denmark and the Baltic seaboard.
My comment about Norwegian troops standing up to twice their number of Brits was not entirely hyperbole; as long as the enemy was not entrenched, I felt quite confident attacking them. To be sure, breech-loading rifles, machine guns, and my divisions being mainly Inf-A as against plain Inf had more to do with this than any magic Yngling skill, but hey, whatever works.

Ouch. Sounds like you're in a world of trouble unless you have an ace or two up your sleeve. Any possible allies to be found?

I forget, is both England & Burgundy AI-ed ATM?

Yep, both AI'd, which is the one and only ace up my sleeve. Even against the AI, this is, as you say, a world of hurt. I'm not doing any very strenuous recruiting this week; the last thing I need is a human Burgundy. :D

Ah yes, the world is once awash with blood! I mean, there were some wars earlier as well, but this one is clearly more serious.

What's going on in the rest of the world? Are the Chinese on the knifes with the British again?