• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Sharur

Surely you're not talking about ME... yeah... you must be talking about, err, umm, well... :eek:

Actually, having thought about it, you have done some authoring. While it is only a supporting role in the greater annals of Spain, you would be the author of some of the passages in Righteous BastAARds.

Of course, I won't tell anyone if you won't tell anyone... :D

Re: AAR Forum Survey #3:

Oh dear, oh dear, tardy again. Let me get my 2 cents in before this closes out.

1. As a writer, do you want lots of replies, occasional replies, or no replies to your work?

As has been said by many of the folks here, replies are very important to me. (See posts above that say "Replies are very important to heagarty"). My writing style(sic) is a bit off the wall and experimental, so I need feedback to let me know what has worked and what hasn't, and if anyone caught whatever jokes and/or references I worked into my stories.

2. As a writer, how important are the replies, or is a reasonable number of views sufficient to let you know that you're being read? (Maybe that's just paraphrasing question #1)

Replies are much more important to me than views. I do my best to incorporate feedback into the development of the AAR, even if I may not respond to each reply individually. While I appreciate all views, I take away very little from them.

3. As a writer, how annoyed are you if some of the feedback slips into the realms of OT - however briefly (as it often does...)?

Not too annoyed, so long as things get back under control. The AAR Protocol thread referenced by Mr. T is a good example. We all got too carried away by NHL Hockey (Please note the Canes are up 2-1 on the Leafs), but we did restore order and the serious conversation resumed.

4. As a reader, do you feel reluctant to post to the thread for fear of "cluttering" it up?

Only if there are few other posts and the author has not solicited posts. This may contribute to some authors' frustration over lack of posts - nobody may want to be the first one to post without knowing how welcome posts are. I think it's a good thing when an author lays out in their initial post whether they want feedback or not.

5. As a reader, do you find that a lot of feedback or other commentary detracts from your enjoyment of the thread?
Not so long as its relevant. Because I like feedback, I'm not distracted by good reader feedback in other AARS. Even OT stuff isn't too bad, so long as it's not some inside joke that no one else would appreciate.

6. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of views logged for the thread?

Not really

7. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of replies logged for the thread?

Ah, this is a problem for me. I am not really any more likely to start reading an AAR because it has a lot of replies.
Sadly, I've missed out on many fine AARs because of constraints on my RL time. If I can get in on a good one early then I will follow it, but too often I come late to one and can't keep up. So, even though many replies might imply a good AAR, this can actually be a deterrent to me.

I know, I know. That's counter-intuitive, but maybe I'm a contrarian reader.

8. As a reader, do you bother to pay attention to the views or replies to a thread? (This is really Q6 & Q7 rolled together)

Not really. (This is A6 & A7 rolled together)

9. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a
look at it does the name of the author have?

A huge impact. I often read AARs by people whose names I am unfamiliar with, but if I recognize a name and like the author(s)'s style then I will almost always check it out. Unless that author is incredibly prolific, in which case I may have to pick and choose which of his or her (do we have any "hers" writing?) works I will read.

10. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the title have?

A lot. A catchy title will get me to at least view it, unless it appears to be a topic I wouldn't be interested in - "The Life of a Loan Shark - Helvetian Economic Domination through Interest Rates" or some such.

11. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when a thread doesn't clearly identify the country that it's about?

AND ...

12. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when you do see the country it's about?

Hard to say. I think country is the first thing I look at, then author, then whether the title is interesting, then views and replies. Not that I have a checklist beside the computer and mark each criteria with a mark and tally the results before clicking on a thread, but this is generally my mental process.

13. Do you have any other questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?

What are readers preferences between serious and comedic AARS? Historical versus very Ahistorical? Perhaps there will be a future survey on those topics.

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask? :D

I'd be curious as to the reasons people abandon AARs - game crash? lack of readership? lack of interest? abducted by chimps? etc.

NOTE: for the purposes of this survey, please refrain from commenting on the actual thread style, content, or type (comedy/historical/log/detailed/MP/etc.) unless it's critical to your reply. There will be a future survey on those topics.

Thank you, in advance, for taking the time to think about and respond to this survey. If in doubt as to whether to respond with "brutal" honesty or be political, go with "polite" honesty where possible.

The forum is yours...and your opinion counts!

(P.S. I'll reply with my own answers to the above questions shortly.) [/B][/QUOTE]

1. As a writer, do you want lots of replies, occasional replies, or no replies to your work?
n/a

2. As a writer, how important are the replies, or is a reasonable number of views sufficient to let you know that you're being read? (Maybe that's just paraphrasing question #1)
n/a

3. As a writer, how annoyed are you if some of the feedback slips into the realms of OT - however briefly (as it often does...)?
n/a

4. As a reader, do you feel reluctant to post to the thread for fear of "cluttering" it up?
I more or less feel any posts from my side should be constructive, so basically yes.

5. As a reader, do you find that a lot of feedback or other commentary detracts from your enjoyment of the thread?
Usually not, often feedback and commentary are as interesting as the AAR itself.

6. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of views logged for the thread?
No

7. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of replies logged for the thread?
Yes, since the amount of replies also includes further contributions to the AAR a number of replies usually means there is some progress. I find it easier to decide whether I like the AAR or not when the action has somewhat progressed.

8. As a reader, do you bother to pay attention to the views or replies to a thread? (This is really Q6 & Q7 rolled together)
yes

9. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the name of the author have?
When the author is someone whose work I have enjoyed before I will always take a look. I tend to at least check all threads though, especially when they tend to stay alive for quite some time.

10. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the title have?
No impact as far as I can remember, maybe some non-conscious considerations though.

11. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when a thread doesn't clearly identify the country that it's about?
This tends to make me curious.

12. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when you do see the country it's about?
A country I have not seen before, or I'm (thinking about) playing myself will get my attention.

13. Do you have any other questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?
no

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?
Idem.

Good luck compiling all data from these questions.

Re: AAR Forum Survey #3:

Either lots or occasional. With no replies the tendency to feel that no-one reads, or more importantly enjoys, what you are writing.

I think that's paraphrasing 1

I guess that depends how OT it gets

No. Unless that author has specifically stated otherwise

Not really

Probably not

Same as 7

Er...see above

9. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the name of the author have?

Fairly high

A few titles have attracted my attention in the past so there is some impact

1,2) If I exposed myself to public ridicule by posting an AAR, I would want 1500 replies, but would settle for 20,000 views. In the absence of either, a writer should tell himself that his work is too sophistocated to be appreciated by parochial minds. :)

3) Only mean-spirited posts are annoying. And some of the intense OT debates over royal Scandinavian geneology are fascinating, if bewildering, to an American.

4) Afraid of cluttering? Absolutely. I'm only replying to this thread to validate your self-worth.

5) Any polite posts are acceptable.

6) :eek: I can never remember which column shows the replies and which shows the views, and I'm too lazy to scroll up and check the column headings.

7) I first check out the new threads with only 2 or 3 relies, then the War and Peace length ones, then the "average."

8) Do you realize that , if you drop Q8 (a rolled-up Q6 & Q7), Q13 would then become Q12, obviating the need for Q14?:)

9) There are a few writers whose names I always notice, but I like to sample the beginning of every AAR, if possible.

10) A catchy title wins the first look from me.

11) The title does not have to list the country, though I prefer that it does.

12) If I have read a good history book about a country, I will be interested in an AAR set in that country.

13) This is an intelligent question to ask; unfortunately, I believe it would be bad luck to answer any Question #13. :)

14) How do you say "triskaidekaphobia" in Swedish?:confused:

Best of luck to you on your future work.

I.m very godd at reading, but rarely posts, but this should be one of those things you should (like visit to the dentist and tax return papers ;) )

Nope, I just rarely have anything to comment by the time I get to the last page all the things "have been said"

No not at all, sometimes I feel the comments are as good as the story. I even sometimes wish that some comments was followed up

NA

NA

No

A lot, once I've noticed a "good" author that I like.

Actually I mainly identify interesting authors using the omnipresent "sig's" in their comments on other threads

None particular

None whatsoever, Otherwise I would never have read World Conquest for Dummies :)

Only in respect to Denmark :D

V

Greatings one and all...

Thanks once again for your responses and I'd encourage any of you who haven't read over the responses above to spend some time doing so.

For data-collection purposes this thread is now closed and LD will be un-stickying it shortly. For anyone who hasn't responded and still wishes to do so, please go right ahead since I've perminently subsribed to it and will go and look at your responses.

EDIT: Here's the promised results thread to let you know what was gleened from the survey.

Survey #4 Coming up soon...

Last edited:
Survey #3: Results Re Feedback And Viewing Habits:

I should like to thank all the people who took some time to answer the survey. In all 29 different respondents were willing to share their thoughts and provide some insight into their reading habits and hopes and aspirations as an author. For those of you who would like to go back and read the individual responses, the survey thread is here. I have included all of questions from the original survey below so you don’t have to go back and look at them…

As I said in the thread itself, and in the original overview ass to the purpose of the surveys in general, I will not be posting quantitative results but rather an “English” evaluation of them since I don’t think anyone gives a rat’s *ss what the standard deviations are or anything like that.

Below, please find the results for each individual question, as well as some general comments that were made which I’ve summarised at the end. I would like to suggest that this is only a starting point for a possible ongoing discussion which I’d encourage you to continue in this thread, so please feel free to make your own comments below (as I will be doing shortly…)

Without further ado, here are your responses:

SURVEY #3: RESULTS RE FEEDBACK AND VIEWING HABITS:

The overwhelming response from authors is that they want – nay, CRAVE – replies to their work. Many expressed a distinct preference for “quality commentary” as opposed to “atta boy” posts, but authors still liked the latter. Only two authors only wanted a few, and another two said they didn’t really care if they got replies or not. No one expressed a direct dislike for them.

There were a few concerns that big threads that are likely to get a lot of replies should have separate “OOC” threads linked to them. As examples, Ariel’s thread was begun with a “text only” thread and an OOC thread. In the Denmark thread I later went back and created a text-only thread due to popular demand.

I discovered that I hadn’t really posed the question very well as a number of people agreed that I was just paraphrasing myself. What I was wondering is if authors pay attention at all to their view-to-reply ratio. From what I read in your responses, some of you do pay attention to it, though it isn’t of any particular or prime importance. It’s getting any replies at all that seems to count.

Virtually all authors stated that limited off-topic discussion doesn’t bother them in the slightest as long as it doesn’t hijack the thread. Only one auther said they’d be p*ssed off.

Here we discover a degree of schizophrenia in the forum.:) The community is split about evenly between people who have no qualms about replying and people who sometimes feel a reluctance to reply. Three people generally don’t (though one will PM the author instead).

Of the comments relating to this question, the reluctance seems to exist primarily when the reader doesn’t have anything specific or constructive to say that hasn’t already been said. A few people also mentioned that if the thread has been going on for a while then they’re a little nervous about suddenly “appearing” out of the blue mid-thread.

A resounding no. Only two people didn’t like replies, and most either didn’t care (felt they could just skim through them to get to the next instalment) or actually felt quite the reverse and liked to read them since they often provided interesting insight into the AAR or additional information that they feel is of value.

There were a number of comments, however, that a lot of replies between “AAR posts” could be annoying – and that includes coming from people who otherwise like to see them.

A strong no-vote to this one. A large majority of readers pay either no attention at all to the view count on a thread, or only very limited attention.

Here we see a different result with the respondents roughly split on the issue. About 40% pay no attention at all to the number of replies while another 60% do pay attention and will be more likely to have a look. There were a significant number of people (~20%) who indicated that if a thread they’ve never read has a large number of replies already then they’re less likely to try to pick it up, but that they will read it if it has some.

Yeah, it was a stupid question and should have been phrased differently. I wanted to look at view-to-reply ratio again and botched the way I asked it. By inference I could suggest that either you don’t care, or that you really only pay some attention to the replies…

Overwhelmingly, the name of the author has a big impact on whether someone will read an AAR. This suggests that if you’ve be around a while and built up a “loyal following” or a “reputation” then you’re more likely to be read. I’ll come back to this later, but there were also a number of people who indicated that they had a limited amount of time to read people’s work and that they would gravitate to the “known authors” first, choosing this above all else.

Needless to say, this is pretty rough on new authors who will find themselves on the short end of the stick. Only a couple people said that they ignore the author’s name when selecting something to read, and one person stated that he actively looks at “unknown” authors just to check them out - though I would expect that this is true of several others who didn’t state it (myself included) and was partially alluded to by a couple others.

We’re pretty much across the board on this one. Some people don’t care, some care strongly, some only a little. In general, about 85% of the respondents would read an AAR regardless of title but it might take some time before they got around to it. Only a few people would be completely turned off.

Again we seem to have a divided opinion on this, but the general trend of the response seems to suggest that most people will have a look at the AAR but that failing to identify the country in the title might result in a few people not looking at it and some other people being a little slow to get around to it.

Overwhelmingly the response was that having the country identified in the title would have an impact on whether they read the AAR. In some cases the geography of the country will then determine whether the reader will have a look (some people are more/less interested in certain areas, with a noted preference for Europe). There were also a number of people who indicated that if the country has been done recently or frequently that they might not be in a hurry to read yet another AAR on it. Another comment or two tied the country in to either a country that the reader has played or is thinking about playing.

Interesting Comments/Observations

From the authors…

Platitudes (“atta boy”) are nice to get, and appreciated to a fair degree; but if you can think of something a little more detailed to say (be it “I liked that”, “I’m confused by that”, or whatever) and could take a few moments to do so, they’d be eternally grateful.

“You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” seems to also be an underlying trend. Several authors felt more inclined to go and look at someone else’s thread if they’d taken the time to read and comment on their own.

From the readers…

It might be an idea for authors to indicate somewhere (early) in the AAR that they’d like replies/feedback as this will reduce some readers’ reluctance to respond…essentially, solicit ‘em if you want ‘em is the theme from the people who earlier stated that they felt some reluctance to “clutter up” a thread.

Turnabout’s fair play here too. If a reader spends a few moments to reply or comment in an author’s thread, they feel that it would be courteous of the author to acknowledge their effort in some way.

MANY readers indicated a limited amount of time available to read AARs and a resulting selectiveness in what they read, often based on who the author is, or whether it seems to be a well-read and active thread.

An active thread gathers no moss. :) Frequent updates/posts make a thread more appealing than one that lies dormant for long periods of time between updates.

Screenshots are important – note: I will be conducting a separate survey based on this topic.

There were many other interesting or illuminating comments, and I’d encourage everyone to spend a few minutes having a look at the replies…

Having read the results, you are now invited to comment to your heart’s content.

And now for some personal comments re the survey…

[OT] The results of Survey #1 and #2 are quite a bit more complex to tabulate so it may take me another week or so to get them posted. Please bear with me… I’m thinking that I may do these surveys in pairs to keep the ball rolling a bit more so Survey #4 and #5 will be along very shortly (later today or possibly tomorrow). [/OT] :)

I found the responses that people made to be very illuminating at they made me consider a number of things.

First off, I guess that it demonstrates how hard it is for a newcomer to break into the AAR forum. They are less likely to be read just because they are unrecognised, and until they have a half-decent reply count then many people won’t get around to viewing their work. We’ve all, no doubt, seen people’s first efforts sputter and die in a matter of days, or a new author express frustration with the lack of response to their work. I guess this survey demonstrates why that is.

On the other hand I’d like you to consider that there could be some great talent out there that we end up missing out on simply because of this, so perhaps if we all made a concerted effort to take a few moments just to drop a quick line to welcome them and encourage them early in the AAR then we’d have more active participation throughout the forum. Considering that authors have indicated that they crave replies, being friendly and supportive to newcomers may result in the turn-around of that new author actively reading and commenting on your own work. Food for thought eh?

I am also slightly alarmed at the dominant importance that the author has in whether people look at a thread in that I know of several people whose initial offerings weren’t, perhaps, all that spectacular (mine own included!) but who, with some encouragement and some hard work, have subsequently significantly improved their writing. Perhaps I could suggest that even if you think you know an author’s work/style, perhaps you could just take a look in every now and then to confirm your opinion.

It’s pretty obvious that those of you who are feeling reluctant to post a reply in someone’s thread ought to reconsider. The authors are dying to hear from you and, as long as you don’t go radically off topic, are even content with a little “I’m here and reading” from you now and then. I can say from my personal point of view that I would really like to see this. I know that you may not have anything else to say, but when only one or two people are responding to my work (regardless of the number of views the thread is racking up) then I begin to feel like I’m playing to a near-empty auditorium. You’ll note that most readers are content to either read or skip your replies, so don’t let that hold you back. Thinking of the current Genoa collaboration, we’re all quite frustrated at the lack of feedback of any sort…’nuf said.

I’d also like the people who are worried about “coming in late” in a thread to rest easy. It goes back to those authors…I can’t imagine, from the responses, that any single one of them would take any offence whatsoever at having you suddenly appear and say something like “I’ve just caught up with this…” or “I’ve been lurking and…”. I can certainly tell you that on the couple of occasions that someone has appeared mid-way through one of my threads I’ve been extremely happy. It also wouldn’t hurt, if you’re still reading and haven’t said anything for a while, to post a little “I’m still here”.

I realized, from the comments, that I’d been a little lax in acknowledging people who have replied in my threads and will definitely be making an effort to do so in the future. I also realized that I do get a little put off when I take the time to say something in someone else’s thread and they don’t appear to have cared. I guess I now know that they do; and I’m not really encouraging individual responses to every reply from each author or you’d never get the chance to write a new instalment, but a quite thank-you seems to be in order. I noticed, as I re-read LD’s “The Napoleonic Wars: An Account by an English Officer”, that he is meticulous in doing so and is able to make a quick response that makes your own 2 ducats’ worth seem appreciated.

I’m just mentioning a few things that spring to mind, but I think there’s plenty of opportunity for further discussion on this topic.

Thanks again, one and all, for having participated and I look forward to reading your further comments/ideas/opinions.

Aar Forum Survey #4: Screenies

Since you’ve asked me to keep these a little shorter, I’m going to post them a little more often (I guess it amounts to the same thing, but maybe I can trick you into it anyway ;)) For your convenience I’ve pre-done the formatting so all you need to do is click “reply”, get rid of the initial and ending "quote" and "bold" tags and type away.

As before, thanks for taking the time to share your views.

AAR FORUM SURVEY #4: SCREENIES

The object of this survey is to garner your opinions on the inclusion of screenies in AARs. Given the recent crack-down from a number of free space providers, this would appear to be an opportune time to get your feedback…

1. How important is the inclusion of screen shots in an AAR and why?

-

2. How often would you like to see them?

-

3. Do you like additional “flavour” pictures? (portraits of people, etc.)

-

4. Would you like to have them appear directly in the AAR or as links?
Note: this will affect page download times for people with slower modems…

-

5. If the author provides a link to screenies instead, how likely are you to follow them?

-

6. Are you willing to go through the hassle of right-clicking, selecting “properties”, copying and pasting that in the address line of your browser in order to go and look at them?

-

Any other comments on screenies?

-

AAR FORUM SURVEY #4: SCREENIES

- They’re nice to have since it helps me to keep track of the progress, and it can also remind me where certain provinces are if you’re writing about a part of the world that I haven’t played recently. The political status screen is the most interesting to me since it’s a quick view of what other countries are doing too…

- It doesn’t need to be terribly often. Perhaps once every 25-50 years of game time in the average AAR, depending on the rate of progress and the detail of the AAR.

- Definitely, but it certainly isn’t a prerequisite.

- I can take them either way. In some respects I’d prefer a link since I’m still on a phone line at home. At work it doesn’t matter since I’m on a high speed DSL.

5. If the author provides a link to screenies instead, how likely are you to follow them?

- It depends how disoriented I am. I’ll go take a peek if I need to, but I might not always do so if there are tons of them.

6. Are you willing to go through the hassle of right-clicking, selecting “properties”, copying and pasting that in the address line of your browser in order to go and look at them?

- Sure. It doesn’t bother me.

- I look at screenies as a supplement/complement to an AAR and no matter how many you include, or how often they appear, they are no substitute for the text itself. I’ve read AARs with no screenies that I’ve enjoyed far more than others that are flooded with them. Used with care, though, they are definitely a plus in my opinion.

Well i wouldnt say a necesitty but it does help me to imagine whats going on in the AAR, especially if your on a conquer the world/europe binge. Also i like to see what other nations in your AAR are doing.

Whenever necesarry, if any large territorial changes take place or any intresting in-game events happen, like loads of revolts. But as i said at the authors discretion.

3. Do you like additional “flavour” pictures? (portraits of people, etc.)]

It depends on the "flavour" of the pictures. I mean in something like LD's potrait of an english officer AAR i think they enhance the AAR. In fact if an AAR is character driven then flavour pictures really enhance the AAR, otherwise im a bit sceptical.

Im not bothered, ill click on any links, but i will say the link in the AAr is great, but thats because im lazy :D

Shouldnt this be part of question 4? :) But as i said ill follow them.

Yes. Im not that lazy.

When done well, and when used in context with flavour pics, they really do enhance the entire "experience" of the AAR. But hey if all you have in your AAR is pictures then thats not very entertaining, unless its an animated gif of the entire AAR ;)

Re: Aar Forum Survey #4: Screenies

I wouldn't say they were important as such, but they are nice to have. They help me to keep track of how the country being written about is doing, and reminds me of the geography of the area. This is particularly useful in the Sibir AAR, North American AAR's etc, where i'm not really 100% certain of each provinces location.

Well, it's certainly nice when they do appear, but not in vast droves. I particularly like the new animation being used in the Burgundy AAR, which summarises several shots into one.

I dont mind them, but I really dont spend a huge amount of time on them.

I prefer them in the AAR, but that's because I have a fast connection, so d/l times are negligible.

Very...

I may be lazy, but....

It would be nice to see something other than a purple world in Prof. Ebessen's AAR's....

I'll now make an extra special effort to read all of the AAR's currently on the first page, and to let people know i'm reading...

MrT,

Thank you for preformatting the questions for us to reply to. That is such a time saver.:)

Warning: There is a lot of whine/opinion in the following posts.;)

- Very important. It helps to bring you back up to speed very quickly in an AAR you haven't looked at in a while (or when looking at a lot of AAR's). A screenie lets you know immediately what the "general" situation is for that nation and makes the author's position in his posts easier to relate to.

-The more the merrier.

-Yes, yes, yes.

-Directly in the AAR because 1) I am lazy...and...2) Sometimes the picture needs to be right next to the words. For example:

After several minutes of watching small boats scuttle like water beetles along the canal,
riviera2.jpg

I returned to my desk and prepared a letter in response to the French advisor.

If you have to link to get that picture, the effect is killed.:(

-That depends. To get to a map fairly likely...but not a lot of maps...and it is annoying if the link does not identify what is linked. For example:

Political Map of Europe in 1624 is a good link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~backpack1974/_uimages/PBEM11624.jpg is a bad link.

I like to know beforehand if the link is something I am interested in. If the author throws up 5 links and doesn't id them, it gets frustrating clicking through all of the army movement and province info links when all you want to look at is the political map picture.

-Not as likely. I am lazy.

Keep 'em coming. Hmmm....how about an oscAAR category. Best use of screenshots in an AAR. I think Prof Ebessen's BB war shot and the Orleans AAR click to be annexed shot would definitely be top vote getters.:D

Last edited:
Aar Forum Survey #5: Type/style Preferences

AAR FORUM SURVEY #5: STYLE/TYPE PREFERENCES

I’m a little reluctant to do this survey as I really don’t want to stifle growth in all areas if there’s a resounding or overwhelming preference for certain types or styles and then everyone decides to abandon doing anything else in order to cater to the “norm”. Nevertheless, here goes…

Since there are many factors that will influence your interest, for the purposes of this survey please assume that we are discussing AARs where all else is the same (i.e. presume that the author is doing a good job at writing in whatever style or type is being discussed). Also keep in mind that the lines are often blurred between types and styles, and that you are allowed to like more than one thing…:)

Each of the following questions will ask you to rate your interest on a scale of 0 – 5, please use the following guidelines:

0 – Doesn’t apply, I’ve never read one.
1 – Very low interest level, I’m not likely to go out of my way to read one.
2 – A bit interested, but it’s not really my preference
3 – Somewhat (averagely) interested, I’ll probably read if I’ve got time
4 – Quite interested, I enjoy this type and will very likely follow it
5 – Turns my crank, I wouldn’t miss it for the world and will avidly follow

After that, in each question you are welcomed to write any additional comments you might have. Sorry to hit you with a dozen, but if I split this up into two surveys it'll drive us both nuts. (Oops, too late:D)

1. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in a log-type AAR?
(Essentially a presentation of the history log with possible annotations, commentary, etc.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

2. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a chronological AAR in brief descriptive format?
(Perhaps a brief paragraph that describes each event or action in a descriptive way.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

3. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in a longer, narrative-driven type of format?
(In depth descriptions often given from a first person or story-telling point of view.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

4. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a character-driven type of format?
(While there may be narrative aspects, the AAR relies on dialogue to convey much of the information.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

5. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in viewing a screenie-type AAR?
(Meaning that there is a minimal amount of text that supplements or captions a wealth of screen shots)
- Rating:

- Comment:

6. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a collaborative AAR when you are not one of the collaborators?
(This is a type that has been seen more recently in the forum and involves two or more people playing and/or writing about a game in progress. Please don’t include RPG-type AARs in this category. I think it’s safe to say that the interest level is high if you are one of the collaborators so please also consider only your interest in projects that you are not directly involved in.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

7. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a multi-person RPG type of AAR when you are not one of the players?
(There are, at present, two such ongoing AARs that I’m aware of: the “Free Company” thread and the “For God, the King, and St. George” thread. These, while based on an EU II game, are written by collaboration where each person takes on one or more “characters” for the purposes of writing and the game itself tends to have a secondary important to role-playing.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

8. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that are comedic/funny in style?
(The author is using a style that relies heavily on humour or tongue-in-cheek and may - or may not - be less detailed in nature)
- Rating:

- Comment:

9. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that are serious in nature?
(The author is using a style that presents the material in a straight forward approach.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

10. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that are historic in style?
(The author includes significant “real” historical information that exceeds the actual game play.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

11. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that really don’t fit into any category or style mentioned above?
(Essentially, your interest level in exploring unusual or innovative/new approaches to writing an AAR.)
- Rating:

- Comment:

12. Are there any obvious types/styles that I’ve forgotten that ought to be included?
(i.e. something that isn’t experimental or innovative but that I’ve simply forgotten because I’m a FOOL!!! If so, please identify/rate/comment as appropriate.)
- Type/Style:

- Rating:
- Comment:

AAR FORUM SURVEY #5: STYLE/TYPE PREFERENCES

Since I was nasty enough to ask for candid responses, I’ll stick my neck out first. No offence to anyone if you happen to write/prefer something I don’t. :)

0 – Doesn’t apply, I’ve never read one.
1 – Very low interest level, I’m not likely to go out of my way to read one.
2 – A bit interested, but it’s not really my preference
3 – Somewhat (averagely) interested, I’ll probably read if I’ve got time
4 – Quite interested, I enjoy this type and will very likely follow it
5 – Turns my crank, I wouldn’t miss it for the world and will avidly follow

1. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in a log-type AAR?
(Essentially a presentation of the history log with possible annotations, commentary, etc.)
- Rating:
- Comment: Unless it’s got something else going for it that I pick up on quickly, I’ll probably only glance at it once. Game logs just don’t turn me on. Sorry.

2. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a chronological AAR in brief descriptive format?
(Perhaps a brief paragraph that describes each event or action in a descriptive way.)
- Rating:
- Comment: I probably won’t follow it avidly unless it’s got something else going for it - perhaps the country or maybe those short paragraphs are hysterically funny or something…

3. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in a longer, narrative-driven type of format?
(In depth descriptions often given from a first person or story-telling point of view.)
- Rating:
- Comment: Turns my crank. I tend to save these up until there have been several instalments so I can read larger chunks of them in one sitting.

4. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a character-driven type of format?
(While there may be narrative aspects, the AAR relies on dialogue to convey much of the information.)
- Rating:
- Comment: Unless the character development is extraordinarily well done, this will interest me slightly less, though I’ll still be happily reading along.

5. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in viewing a screenie-type AAR?
(Meaning that there is a minimal amount of text that supplements or captions a wealth of screen shots)
- Rating:
1-2
- Comment: I’ve yet to see one that turns my crank, but I’ve seen some potential… It’s really not my preference though.

6. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a collaborative AAR when you are not one of the collaborators?
(This is a type that has been seen more recently in the forum and involves two or more people playing and/or writing about a game in progress. Please don’t include RPG-type AARs in this category. I think it’s safe to say that the interest level is high if you are one of the collaborators so please also consider only your interest in projects that you are not directly involved in.)
- Rating:
- Comment: The sheer volume of posts can be hard to keep up with, but I do enjoy them.

7. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading a multi-person RPG type of AAR when you are not one of the players?
(There are, at present, two such ongoing AARs that I’m aware of: the “Free Company” thread and the “For God, the King, and St. George” thread. These, while based on an EU II game, are written by collaboration where each person takes on one or more “characters” for the purposes of writing and the game itself tends to have a secondary important to role-playing.)
- Rating:
2-3
- Comment: Here, the sheer volume of posts and the need to keep track of who’s who is deadly. I wouldn’t be participating in the FC thread had it not been for the solo AARs of several of the authors I’ve really enjoyed that included links to the FC thread in their sig. I finally knuckled down and read some of it and then decided that I’d like to participate. Thinking back to the time when I was an “outsider”, it was intimidating.

8. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that are comedic/funny in style?
(The author is using a style that relies heavily on humour or tongue-in-cheek and may - or may not - be less detailed in nature)
- Rating:
- Comment: I like a good laugh…it’s hard to sustain it though.

9. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that are serious in nature?
(The author is using a style that presents the material in a straight forward approach.)
- Rating:
- Comment: I like it just as much.

10. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that are historic in style?
(The author includes significant “real” historical information that exceeds the actual game play.)
- Rating:
- Comment: Part of the appeal of EU II in the first place (to me) is its historic aspects. Having AARs further educate/enlighten me is a serious bonus.

11. On a scale of 0 – 5, how interested are you in reading AARs that really don’t fit into any category or style mentioned above?
(Essentially, your interest level in exploring unusual or innovative/new approaches to writing an AAR.)
- Rating:
- Comment: A killer question. I’ll follow an experimental project for a while to see what I think and then either drop it or follow it avidly. I think of myself as being quite open to non-traditional or experimental stuff but, perhaps, only if it’s done in such a way that the departure from the norm isn’t the only reason to make the departure in the first place.

12. Are there any obvious types/styles that I’ve forgotten that ought to be included?
(i.e. something that isn’t experimental or innovative but that I’ve simply forgotten because I’m a FOOL!!! If so, please identify/rate/comment as appropriate.)
- Type/Style:
If I could have thought of any, they’d be listed now, wouldn’t they. ;)
- Rating:
- Comment:

- They're not vital - I will read an AAR without them if it's well-written - but they are a nice bonus and help me to follow the player's progress. Also, long blocks of text can be hard to wade through and well-placed screenies (or shorter paragraphs) help a lot.

- Maybe one for every installment or two is probably ideal. Rereading my AAR, I think I included too many.

- Yes. For one those are an indicator of a really well-researched AAR, and they also help immerse the reader in the situation and times (like LD's wonderful city/landscape pictures).

- Loading time isn't an issue for me, so I would have to prefer seeing them directly included, but...

- If I'm following the AAR a link won't stop me. heagarty's Gluttonic Knights is the only AAR I can think of with linked screenies, and that works fine.

- Sure... not that much of a hassle. As always it depends on how interested I am in the AAR as a whole.

- To those of you who can resize screenies at will (so they don't exceed the usual screen width, if that makes sense), would you be so kind as to mention how to do so in a sticky thread?

-I would not use the word important, it but adds flavour. Maps give a better understanding on how the situation is and pictures of rulers ( like your french AAR) adds a lot of flavour)

-Hard question. Graphic AAR need them a lot to function;), but more text-based doesn't need them. no more than 2 or 3 per pgae though

-see above... If you don't then yes

-I would prefer them to appear directly but it won't bug me too much if I have to click on a link

-very likely

-That might be a bit too tiresome, if it had to be done all the time, again once in awhile wouldn't kill me or my interest

- nope!

That just reminded me of something...

People who embed full-width screen shots make it hard to read your AAR on my laptop screen (600 x 800 res.) since the left column nudges and I sometimes have to scroll back and forth across the page to read the text. Limiting the width to 600 pixels would eliminate that...or posting the screenie in a seperate reply would too.

Just a thought.