• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. As a writer, do you want lots of replies, occasional replies, or no replies to your work?

Replies are the life blood of the AAR writer. Through feedback I can judge the type of audience I'm reaching, how well my work is received, if it's too complicated to read, or too confusing. It encourages, bolsters, and reinforces my resolve to carry on, and to improve my work with each succeeding post.

2. As a writer, how important are the replies, or is a reasonable number of views sufficient to let you know that you're being read? (Maybe that's just paraphrasing question #1)

See above. It helps to know if my time and effort has been well received. A large number of views with no posts tell me that my work is either too sophisticated for the average reader, or that I'm just plain missing the mark, and no one's sure what to comment on. I'd be happy if somebody picked up on the cunningly concealed humour, or play on words. ;)

3. As a writer, how annoyed are you if some of the feedback slips into the realms of OT - however briefly (as it often does...)?

Not too annoyed. It can quickly be redirected out of that realm. However, some good comes out of casual banter. The whole concept of including readers in my AARs came from a post that Lionheart made in my Seven Years War AAR on the EUI board. It's a practice I've continued with my Austrian and Napoleonic Wars AARs, and something I've noticed has been picked up by other authors here.

4. As a reader, do you feel reluctant to post to the thread for fear of "cluttering" it up?

No, I feel positive reinforcement is a plus, unless it's a thread that is lying dormant, and someone is posting their fourteenth 'When's the next update?' inquiry.

5. As a reader, do you find that a lot of feedback or other commentary detracts from your enjoyment of the thread?

No. If it's irrelevant then I'll skip it. However, many times I've gleaned interesting nuggets of information through feedback and interaction.

6. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of views logged for the thread?

Interesting question. When a writer gets no response, the first rule of thumb mentioned is to 'check the number of views', and use those as a success indicator. However, the majority of people who have responded to this poll say the number of views don't matter. Catch 22. Personally, I find any thread that has over 25 views to 1 post to be suspect, and subject to some F5 action. :) The answer is no.

7. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of replies logged for the thread?

In my position I make sure that I read every new thread to see what it's about, and to see if it interests me enough to follow. But no, the number of posts on a thread that I haven't read for a while have no bearing on whether I will pick it up and read again. See my comments at the end of the survey for elaboration.

8. As a reader, do you bother to pay attention to the views or replies to a thread? (This is really Q6 & Q7 rolled together)

Huh, MrT? Didn't I just answer the damned questions? :D :D

9. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the name of the author have?

If it's an author I'm familiar with and who's work I enjoy, then I'll definitely follow it. Likewise, I make it a point to read all new authors to gauge their style and material. I strongly believe new writers should be encouraged. Additionally, I will definitely read a thread if the author courteously returns the favour. You scratch my back... :)

10. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the title have?

Very little. Sometimes a twist on a title will attract my attention.

11. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when a thread doesn't clearly identify the country that it's about?

Same as #10. Sometimes there are excellent stories hidden behind obscure titles.

12. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when you do see the country it's about?

Some. I am more interested in some countries than others, however, if an AAR pops up about Nippon, and there are three others on the go, then I'm less likely to pay attention to it.

13. Do you have any other questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?

No questions, but an observation. Writers enjoy feedback to their work, and I know for a fact that I frequently post and encourage writers early on in their AARs. However, it is also important for the author to acknowledge the feedback. After all, the person has taken the time to compliment the author's work, and a few words of thanks are just plain good manners. Better yet, turnabout is fair play, and it's courteous to provide feedback in the posters AAR, if he has one on the go. Unfortunately, I've seen too many authors totally ignore feedback and continue their story, then wonder why no one responds anymore. I try to read a lot of AARs, but I admit that nothing turns me off more than to have my feedback ignored, or the author not bother to return in kind by reading my work. I've quickly dropped reading some very popular AARs for that reason. After all, there's always something else to peruse. If it sounds harsh, then ask yourself if you'd like to be treated like that, if roles were reversed.
This is just an observation, but reading through these answers once again, I find it kind of funny that some people like lots of replies, but at the same time are reluctant to post for fear of cluttering other threads.
Am I the only one that finds the logic to be a bit of a double standard? "Post on mine, please, but I won't bother posting on yours... "

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?

Naw, no smart ass comments. Compliments on a well organised survey, though. These 'milk and cookie' sessions of ours really pay off. :)

Last edited:
#1 (replies as an author): Since thus far I have "carefully avoided" :eek::rolleyes: actually producing my own aar, I'm probably not the most reliable source. That being said... I will be contributing to three different aar projects within the next month or so, and would greatly appreciate feedback, positive or no, since I'm very insecure about my writing. Notice that I try to post as often as I can on every aar that I read (increase post count? Me? Never :p).

#2 (replies as an author): Yes, it is paraphrasing :) I don't trust views one bit.

#3 (off topic replies): Again, I'm not the most reliable source, but I'd have to say that as long as it's reasonable, and somehow stems from the aar subject matter, it wouldn't bother me too much. Thread hijacking wouldn't be appreciated, but luckily I don't think I've ever seen that happen (we're so much more civilized than those nasty OT'ers :D)

#4 (replying as a reader): Heh. Do I really need to answer ;) Of course not! Look what happens to the Genoa aar authors when people don't. And I can't blame them. It's not selfish in any way to want to receive some recognition; after all, the author is putting his/herself out of his/her way to produce entertainment for a bunch of people they don't know (although sometimes I do feel like I know all of you :)). The least we can do is respect and encourage them, in the hope that, in the unlikely event of low quality entertainment, we can help them make it better :)

#5 (replies by readers): Hmm. It depends on the replies, really. For instance, the replies to Peter Ebbesen's World Conquest aar are quite humorous, and add life to the aar itself. In a different way, the literary discussion going on in Secret Master's Castile aar is very interesting (and informative). However, sometimes aars, like the Denmark AAR, can run into trouble due to their drawn-out nature (and thus, the text-only thread :)). I can't imagine what we'd do if everyone replied to everyone else's posts in the Free Company :eek:

#6 (checking an aar by views): Nope, sorry. I pay no attention to views. Posts matter. That's not because I analyzed the situation or anything, it just kinda happens that way. I guess you could say that the more posts an aar has, the more I trust that it's a dedicated effort by the author. However, usually I'll read through the first post or two of any aar quickly to see if I like the style.

#7 (checking an aar by replies): See above :)

#8 (checking an aar by both): I think that's been answered sufficiently...

#9 (checking an aar by author): Yikes, good point. Yes, I freely admit that certain names (I won't say who, as then I'd leave someone out :)) receive an automatic subscription, whereas others are always at least looked at, whereas others (i.e. those I haven't heard of) may not be looked at unless the # of posts starts to accumulate. Unfortunately, this is the way I'll bet a lot of people approach it, and thus the new faces in the crowd never really get going :( But I don't (contrary to popular belief) spend ALL of my time on this board, and so I must have priorities. MrT, and others who do likewise, I commend you for your dedicated effort to check ALL aars (which I actually did not so long ago). That being said, I do check most aars, even by new authors, to see if the first couple of posts seem promising.

#10 (checking an aar by title): How did I know that this would be next... Actually, I don't think so. A funny title will be likely to grab my attention, and likewise a boring one won't, but I'll still probably take a look at both regardless. I just might look at the funny one first ;)

#11 (no identification by country): I think I may be in the minority when I say that no country specifics make me MORE likely to read it, not less, since such a title is more likely to be a narrative, rather than a straight report.

#12 (checking an aar by country): Unless I already have a great appreciation for the author, I seldom look at non-European aars. The action just isn't there :)

#13 (questions): No, but since I just thought of it, could I put in a plug here for the EU2 RPG? I think many of you on this board (especially the FC mercs :)) would be a great addition to the game, especially since most of you would be some of the most reliable players in the game.

If you don't like it, you can always quit. Head on over and give it a whirl. I can be of some assistance if you feel overwhelmed, I know I did at first, but it's really quite easy :)

#14 (questions): :rolleyes:

Btw: Darn smilies limit! *grr*

EDIT: having looked through the other responses, I can sense a debate of sorts over whether or not "atta boy!" type responses are justified. I personally think they are, as sometimes you may enjoy the work without immediate being able to identify why you do. By posting something encouraging, you're at least letting the author know that you're following along. However, any time that you can say something constructive, do so. The author deserves it :)

Last edited:
1-14) As a lazy person, do you feel the need to answer all the questions individually, or can you summarize them all together into one coherent response?

Funny you should phrase it like that.

Personally, I drop an AAR if it doesn't seem to be generating interest, and by that I mean "replies". Seeing that my thread has been viewed 3000 times just means to me that a good chunk of people felt the need to mark it as "read" by clicking on it quickly.

Seeing 24 replies to each of my posts would let me know exactly what I am and am not doing correctly. So I'm gonna have to side with the "please comment on me".

However... I really like the idea of having the story be readable without all the replies. Sadly, I don't like having 2 seperate threads, since the threads will never show up in the same order under the default ("view newest posted threads first") search order. So I guess I'd rather live with wading through the comments, which isn't a bad thing. These comments can be very helpful to the story and even add something through the discussion of what could be happening.

Authors count quite a bit for me. I'd definitely be more willing to read an AAR by someone I'm familiar with than a newbie. But a newbie thread usually gets my attention once it starts to get a higher post count. Sorry, I'm impatient and hate waiting for the next installment of stories, especially when they die :p

I hope my useless comments have helped.

Duuk

PS -- Toronto Maple Leafs won't make it out of this round. Which is a good thing for them, since they won't have to face my Wings in the finals where the 'WINGS will win it all.

Sharur: You make one extremely interesting point. I'm wondering if the FC contributers that have come from the RPG Board have considered asking their fellow writers to cross over and try the FC thread?

I remember a thread some time a go from the RPG Mods that trolled the AAR section looking for contributers.

It was obvious they were successful with a few writers. I've been very tempted to reply in kind over there, and I still may, (whats sauce for the goose, after all...) but I've held off.

So Sharur, Driftwood, HolisticGod, et al, feel free to solicit writers from the RPG board and invite them to join The EuII Writer's Workshop, AKA as The Free Company. I'm confident you can assure them how much fun it can be to write real interactive fiction, and recreate history in the EUII world.

Lord Durham, our wise (read- old :D) mod brings up an outstanding point about "turnabout's fair play". I make a concerted effort to check on the projects of anyone who has taken the time to read my AAR. I will actually look in their sig or the forum if they comment frequently. A good example of this is MrT. He takes alot of time to read through my long-winded shananigans, so I return the favor :D

1. As a writer, do you want lots of replies, occasional replies, or no replies to your work?

N/A

2. As a writer, how important are the replies, or is a reasonable number of views sufficient to let you know that you're being read? (Maybe that's just paraphrasing question #1)

N/A

3. As a writer, how annoyed are you if some of the feedback slips into the realms of OT - however briefly (as it often does...)?

N/A

4. As a reader, do you feel reluctant to post to the thread for fear of "cluttering" it up?

Not because of "cluttering" it up but as I'm not an author I feel that I can't really critique something that I have not personally tried to do.

5. As a reader, do you find that a lot of feedback or other commentary detracts from your enjoyment of the thread?

No.

6. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of views logged for the thread?

No.

7. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of replies logged for the thread?

Yes, although I usually judge by the number of replies because I'm hopeing that there is more of the actually AAR written.

8. As a reader, do you bother to pay attention to the views or replies to a thread? (This is really Q6 & Q7 rolled together)

Mostly the replies.

9. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the name of the author have?

Quite a bit actually. If I come across an AAR that I really like I am much more likely to take a look at some of that authors other work.

10. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it does the title have?

Some, if the title is clever or attention grabbing I am more likely to give it a look.

11. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when a thread doesn't clearly identify the country that it's about?

It isn't a detriment to me as if I'm curious as to who the AAR is about I would pop in and take a look.

12. As a reader, what impact on your initial willingness to have a look at it is there when you do see the country it's about?

Sometimes if the AAR is about a country that I'm not interested in and the name is in the title I don't bother to look at it.

13. Do you have any other questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?

As I normally just lurk and enjoy . . . no.

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask?

um . . .

Re: AAR Forum Survey #3:

I like lots of replies, critique, etc.

Replies help. I use them to refine my writing and to just find out if anyone likes it or not.

Not at all. It would be cool if it were focused on the AAR, but no biggie.

Yes.

Depends on the extent of the commmentary.

Yes.

yes/

Yes.

none.

QUite a bit.

Somewhat influenced.

Big one.

Nope.

1, 2 and 3 - as of yet, i've never written an AAR (though i'm taking part in your wonderful Venice AAR:D )

Generally, not very, unless it's a very long running AAR, and i've got nothing to say other than 'this is good', which sounds a bit silly when the other replies and discussing the decline of post-war American society, or something...

No, if i dont feel like reading vast numbers of replies, i dont...i just read the actual story.

Nope, i never look at the 'views' column.

Hmmm, i'd say probably not...

I do look at the 'replies' column, but not the 'views' column.

I wont not look at a new AAR because of it's author, though i'm probably more likely to read if its by one of the big names, or by someone who's written something i enjoyed in the past.

Not much, but i might be more tempted by an interesting title.

None whatsoever.

Well, i wont be put off by a particular country, but i'll probably be more tempted by a country i've played recently, or am currently playing, or by a more unusual country.

No.

Again, no.

Re: Re: AAR Forum Survey #3:

Here's something:

I preface all of this by noting I have finished only one AAR thus far. As for the question, I don't crave replies really, but it is nice to get one or two to let you know that people are doing more than just skimming your AAR and deciding it sucks. Posts let you know that people finished reading it or at least were not forced to turn away in horror.

Erm... see above.

Hmm... in my AAR, all the replies were excellent and turned out to be essential to the AAR itself (the work and the replies together are quite entertaining when read as a whole), but I suspect that's something of an unusual situation. On the whole I don't mind OT-ness so long as it doesn't COMPLETELY hijack the thread.

Sometimes, sure. Especially if there's rampant OT-ness happening, I will often skip replying in order to make sure the confusion in the thread is not my fault.

I'm sure most people will say as I will: "It depends". Some commentary is like swimming through porridge (one imagines), while others are illuminating to the thread and can actually improve it.

I can't think of a single instance in which I looked at the "views" count as a determinative factor before reading a thread.

Up to a certain number, perhaps. The first 20-40 replies, I might go and see what the fuss is about. Once we're on 6 or 7 PAGES of replies, well, I do have other things to do.

To sum up: views, not so much. Replies, sometimes. Wow, you may have to make up whole new categories just to classify the "data" I'm allegedly providing.

I will tend to gravitate toward threads of authors I've read and liked, but that doesn't mean I will shy away from ones I have no experience with.

Not much as everyone here are a bunch of punning maestros of titular wit. Exception: the overblown, hyper-grand sounding titles I do stay away from.

I generally do not read threads that don't in some way identify the country in the title.

These questions are worded very strangely. :)
This is probably the strongest determinative factor that tells me whether or not I should read a thread by an author I have not as yet read.

How could I dare to add to or criticize such a masterful and comprehensive questionnaire?

Yes. What's the deal with this teal?

EF1

Last edited:

Last year it was important, these days replies are not so important to me, I do appreciate those I get though!

I rather that not happen because it clutters up the AAR, but it happens sometimes, is understandable. So, annoyed some.

Sometimes, all depends

Yes

No

No

views and replies are irrelvant to me, beyond checking threads as a moderator for questionable content, I stick to reading AARs that i like the style of, i dont get to follow too many these days though.

Big impact

Big impact

no impact

marginal impact (love Venice, Hungary, others)

No

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask? :D
Nope, nice of you to put forth effort to evaluate the forum

Last edited:
I have not finished a single AAR yet...or written one on my own...so...my comments as a writer probably need to be taken with a grain of salt...or two grains of salt..or...a whole shaker of salt...;)

Lots of replies...but...don't want my AAR to be hijacked with OT discussions.

Replies are definitely pick me ups.:) They let you know that someone actually enjoyed what you wrote. A lot of views with no replies would make me think that people looked at my writing, wrinkled up their nose at the stench, and then walked away.

Brief OT (1 or 2 posts) is okay...I don't like it when an AAR gets hijacked.

Yes. I usually send PM's.

Not if it is limited to complementary posts. If I have to go to the next page or do a lot of scrolling because of non author OT posts, I get frustrated.

6. As a reader, are you more likely to go and read a thread that you haven't been following if there are a lot of views logged for the thread? I eventually look at most of the AAR's. However, I do check the ones with a lot of views first. I used to check threads with stars...but...those are gone now.*moment of silence* :(

Doesn't matter. I eventually look at them all. The intro is what is important. It will either catch my attention or bore me right away.

Yes...for simple curiosity.

A lot. There are some legends on the forum whose AAR's are always a good read. I certainly have a few favorite authors.

Not much really.

No impact. A good title is just a free bonus.:)

Usually none. A lot if I am about to play that country.

Will the stars ever come back?:)
I think graphics are important too. If a story has screen shots or other pictures, I will check up on it even if I am not wowed by the writing style. It is interesting and informative to see how different people build their empires.

Uh...no...but....a comment...on numbers.:) While stationed in Japan, our ship conducted naval exercises with a Japanese minesweeper whose hull number was 666. It immediately was dubbed "The Hell Ship.";)

Edit: *Cleans up the invisible ink problem*....;)

Last edited:
Argghh...LD, I have been struck by your scimitar of wit....;)

You are quick...invisible ink;)...you got that one in there even before I could finish up my post...:D And...I don't mean just normal quick...I mean like a man with a paper butt running through a forest fire quick..:D

BTW, I completely agree with your comments about how important it is to answer fan mail when you receive it.

Last edited:

As many replies as I can as long as they are about the story. I also think its important to reply to all or most of the readers posts. If someone takes the time to say good job is it that hard to say thanks?

Yes you are paraphrasing #1):D Replies are important in letting the author know if anyone is reading the story. View counts tell you nothing about how many people are reading the story. I skim many threads but only read a few. Comments indicate that someone is enjoying what you are doing.

Doesn't bother me if it is only "few" OT posts. Oh, did I use the quotes correctly Bloomfield? Oops sorry for the OT part of the post.:D

No, not for most of the threads.

Just the opposite. Sometimes the comments can be as enjoyable as the story.

No. Since I usually start reading the thread when it starts the view count is always low.:D

No for the same reason as above. I usually know fairly early on if I'm going to want to read the thread.

Why combine the two questions? No.

Certain authors will be guarantied to have me as a reader. However it will not guarantee that I will stay. There are some authors that I have enjoyed one of their threads but not another.

A title can catch my eye.

None.

None.

Nope.

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask? :D

Glad you asked even if this isn’t directly related. One of the great killers of good stories is the pace of posting. If a writer goes more than a week between posts it is very difficult for me to maintain enthusiasm for the story. This is especially true if the story in very involved. I have limited time that I can spend on reading here and if I have to go back and reread the earlier parts of the story to remind me of who’s who and what’s what then I start becoming reluctant to continue reading the thread. There are exceptions . Hello Havard are you going to get back to the Knights sometime soon?

The more the merrier.

Replies are more important them ‘mere’ views.

Not at all. I’m a brand new AAR writer and am thankful for any feedback.

Sometimes. It’s utterly dependent on the AAR itself.

And here starts my schizophrenia. As a reader of other people’s AAR: yes.

Probably.

Not necessarily – it’s tough finding an AAR by an author you enjoy only to realise it’s a ‘hundred’ pages to the end.

Not when I’m following (reading) an AAR already – once hooked I usually stay to the end.

Too much…

Not much

Doesn’t matter

Not much

Nope.

14. Since it's unlucky to end on question #13, do you have any
additional questions relating to this topic that you'd like to ask? :D

Nope.

AAR survey #3

-Not a writer (yet, ah fie on you grad school!) but I'm sure I'd want replies, lots of replies. Maybe I'm just insecure :)

-Again not a writer, but I never look at views

-N/A

- Only when I have nothing really to say other than 'good job'. At that point I'll try to only post if it's early in the AAR, hoping to let the writer know that at least I am there reading it.

-Not bothered one whit. If I get bored with it, it's easy enough to page down to the next installment.

-Like I said above, I never pay attention to views. Don't know why, but I just don't.

-Yup, it just lets me know that other people must be following it, so I'm likely missing something great.

- <Insert witty comment on how MrT is being redundant>
Views: No
Replies: Yes

- As everyone else has stated, there are people whose AARs I'll always check out when they first appear. But I do try to check the other ones out (but frankly if those don't 'grab' me within the first installment or two, I'll probably stop following it, unless I see a lot of replies and see that it's consistently at the top of the threads. That's because I actually never use subscriptions to threads).

-Not that much actually, though I find it's nice to know what country the subject is, and whether the AAR will be a spoof or more serious.

-Some, but probably only because if I've got a limited time to check out AARs, and I'm faced with the choice of two new ones, I'll probably start with the one that does identify the country (all else being equal). That may result in skipping the second one, and then forgetting it.

-It actually matters to be quite a bit, mostly because I'll probably only follow a single AAR for a given country at a time. Also, some time has to pass after an AAR is completed for me to regain interest in that country.

-Umm, not particularly.

- <Insert second witty comment about MrT's redundancy>

- Never wrote one before, but if I did I think I would like the occasional reply to know i'm not doing this for notting

- I don't look at the number of view... so no

- I would, I like AAR threads to stick to the subject

- I don't post for the sake of posting, and usually try to avoid adding to the spam unless I got something to say

- No, as long as the stick to the subject at hand

- No, the number of view means notting to me

- Not really

- No & No = No :D

- At first it didn't because i didn't know anyone, but as I get to read more and more AAR, I will tend to pay more attention to the one writting by someone who already done something I liked

- Little

- I usually don't open a thread that doesn't cleary identify the country

- This is question 11 backward no ?

- SCREENSHOTS ! They are very important to AAR. Even with the greatest writing, there is notting like a screenshot to add to the viewing pleasure. For me a screenshot after each installment is a great thing.

- Did I mention screenshots ?

Well, MrT, you have given me alot to comment on with this thread. Heh heh heh heh.... :D

I enjoy lots of replies, though not for the usual reason. I do not generally keep track of my audience through replies. (I will explain under views later.) Rather, the replies serve as a way for me to gauge the effect of my writing on the audience. ALlow me to explains (Yes, this will get lengthy...)

When one reads a peice of literature (any piece of literature, from Homer's Illiad to Lord Durham's Free Company), it is normally impossible to tell the author's intent seperate from the work itself. Unless you have the author standing right there with you, you only have the actual work of literature to read and not author's inent. This sounds silly, but at the heart of the matter is that you can only read the work itself to get meaning from it, not go to the author and say, "Hey, Bill, did MacBeth really want to be king prior to having that chat with his wife or not? Me and the guys at the pub were wondering."

What makes AARs on this forum so interesting, from an author's perspective, is that we can get real time feedback from our audience and from our authors. That is the real gem of replies. As an author, I can see just how my audience likes or dislikes a particular thing. For example, in my current AAR with Castile, my audience was a bit divided on the issue of the ascension of King Juan III to the throne. Some people bought the story as reasonable, others had reservations about how in character the events were that enabled the character to ascend to the throne. Based on that feedback, I can learn right away what parts of my writing style work and what parts do not. I can also tell if people in my audience are getting any of the subtle hints I lay out there for them. Not 10 minutes prior to this post, someone in my Castile AAR guessed the origin of one of my character's LONG before I was going to reveal it. Now I can ask how they figured it out, and see if it was a writing flaw or if the person picked up on the one clue I had written so far.

It's also good for the audience to be able to speak with the author. That has less value for writing, but there is always something special about being able to talk directly to the author of a work you truly enjoy.

For me, I gauge audience activity with the views. Generally, I think I have a good following if I have 10 views per post in the thread, modified if I have large numbers of replies. Since I am well aware that most people, particularly the new folks, do not reply to threads as often, I find the views more helpful in determining audience size.

Actually, I encourage OT stuff to a limited extent in my threads. But this serves a greater purpose. Most of the OT stuff tend to let me know the demographics of my audience. Not to harp on Castile, but in the AAR, after an OT digression regarding Shakespearean tragedies, I knew my audience would catch subtle references to that. So, because of OT stuff, I was able to re-gear the AAR to a slightly different writing style.

On another note, the OT posts in my threads are usually quite fun and stimulating anyway. Being a philosopher-in-training, OT posts are just another way to engender discussion... :D

I must confess that I post rarely in other AARs. Partly because I fear cluttering up, but also because I don't get a chance to read AARs that much. What I dont want to do is to post once, then never post again, which may make the writer feel that I have stopped reading, when in fact I just do my reading of that thread weekly or so. I know that may make no sense, but it sounds much better when I think it in my head... Bloody voices in the head.

No, not really...

But... (Yes, there is a but to this one)

If I was not a regular of the forum, I might be intimidated by the commentary in an AAR. Not because people are unfriendly (the bunch here at AAR-land are quite friendly) but because its a simple case of being the odd man out. For example, if I were not a regular of these boards, all references to wlaks would be lost on me. In fact, for a good bit of time they were, until MrT kindly posted the Wlak FAQ.

I think a good mix of feedback type AARs and content-only type AARs would be good for the forum in general.

Not really. When looking for other threads to read, authorship and country is more important. Though if I see someone whose opinion in AARs I respect reading a thread, I might just bop over and take a look. Thats how I found a couple of the funny ones!

Nope. Same reason as #6.

Umm, no.

Very important. Since I have limited time to read AARs, I have to stick to authors I like, unless I find a new gem to read based on who is reading another one.

A particularly witty title might grab me to read it initially. Other than that, title is not nearly so important.

This criteria is not that important to me, but if I don't know the country, I'm more likely to look at it. (yes, I know that is weird.) Simply put, if there are 20 Brandenburg AARs on the board, I will be less likely to look at one that is identified as such. But if I just see an AAR with no country in the title, I might just peek at it to see what it is.

Some importance, depending on if there are a bunch of AARs about that country floating around at the moment or not. Also, if I can detect that the country in question will be played unhistorically in some important way (i.e. Muscovy that does not become Russia) I might grab it for a read just to see whats going on. I've been on an alternate history kick for the past few weeks.

Let me think about it.

Ok, I've thought about it. What were the results of your survey about views on threads? Yes, I'm talking to you, MrT, Master of Surveys! :p

No questions, but an observation. Writers enjoy feedback to their work, and I know for a fact that I frequently post and encourage writers early on in their AARs. However, it is also important for the author to acknowledge the feedback. After all, the person has taken the time to compliment the author's work, and a few words of thanks are just plain good manners. Better yet, turnabout is fair play, and it's courteous to provide feedback in the posters AAR, if he has one on the go. Unfortunately, I've seen too many authors totally ignore feedback and continue their story, then wonder why no one responds anymore. I try to read a lot of AARs, but I admit that nothing turns me off more than to have my feedback ignored, or the author not bother to return in kind by reading my work. I've quickly dropped reading some very popular AARs for that reason. After all, there's always something else to peruse. If it sounds harsh, then ask yourself if you'd like to be treated like that, if roles were reversed.

You bring up something very interesting LD, and something I had not considered.

While I always try and give feedback to my feedback (i know that sounds silly, but you know what I mean), I've been less that active on other people's threads. I lurk a bit, reading the occasional large segment on a weekend, but generally I refrain for extensive commenting, simply because I have no idea when I will be able to read it again. I hate being "that guy" who comments once and you never see him again. But if you're right, then I perhaps should make a larger effort to do so, simply because it's polite and writing a reply only takes a few words. Really, I dont HAVE to be long winded if I dont want to be.

Of course, I am hoping to make up for some of this in the upcoming Every Doge Has His Day. I figure, why just read someone's AAR when I can write an AAR with several of my favorite authors! (including one author who has not authored yet... ;) )

Originally posted by Secret Master
Ok, I've thought about it. What were the results of your survey about views on threads? Yes, I'm talking to you, MrT, Master of Surveys! :p
I need to collect one more week's worth of data (you don't get to see all of the survey material I'm using. Some are "secret" behind-the-scenes Illuminati-type data collection techniques. ;):D

I needed a larger body of data and this is week 10 of collection. Expect results from survey #1 & #2 to be posted next week, along with the new survey #4.

I'd also just like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who's taken the time to reply here. Keep 'em coming because I think there's a lot of insight to be found reading the responses already and the more, the merrier. If you're a newbie (or shy lurker ;)) then please don't feel intimidated at all in responding. Your comments are equally as valuable to the survey and forum at large as those who've got the massive post counts...those who've been around a while sort of know what's up, and we may have fallen into bad habits that need to be pointed out to us nicely. No one's going to jump down anyone's throat in this thread (or, in fact, any any thread considering the AAR community here) and it would be better to say something here when we're all in a receptive mood.

From what I've read I will definitely be modifying a bit of what I do or say, as there have been some very interesting comments that are really enlightening about how others respond to things in ways I'd never thought of.

Thanks again...

MrT

Originally posted by Secret Master
I figure, why just read someone's AAR when I can write an AAR with several of my favorite authors! (including one author who has not authored yet... ;))

Surely you're not talking about ME... yeah... you must be talking about, err, umm, well... :eek: