• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald: There's no theoretical limit - but there is a max WE that is enforced at month end, and anything over that will go away. If you have a max of 18 WE, for example, and are at the max, you will still take more WE if you declare war on someone that gives stabhits. Even at -3, if your allies start offensive wars that give you stab hits, you can accept the call to arms and take more WE...

...and then all of the WE over the max goes away at the end of the month.

Vladislav: Heh.

Slinky: There will be in the next one!

gcvsnlr: Thank you! I try to explain as much as I can (without being boring), so if you have questions, feel free to ask them.

Chapter 56: Kick them while they're down

December 13, 1584: The nation is at peace. Peace is bad. First, we need to excommunicate someone - never waste a chance to damn someone to eternal torment. Tip: Unless you have a specific nation in mind, pick a nation who has a new king, as then you get plenty of time and/or multiple chances. King Charles VII of France gets excommunicated - he's been king for 2 years, so I have plenty of time.
C56_613_Excommunicate-Franc.jpg

December 14: Since my 2 infantry doomstacks are walking out of the Golden Horde's remaining territory, the obvious choice for the next war is Golden Horde. We DoW Deva Bengal, bringing in Golden Horde as allies, along with Poland, OPM Malwa, and the OPM Mamluks from warnings. Helpfully, Poland borders the Horde!
C56_614_DoW-Golden-Horde.jpg

December 26: EU3 is very helpful: if you tell an army to sit out in the middle of nowhere, they'll do it! Whoopsie.
C56_615_Lost-army.jpg

January 19, 1585: The war with Poland heats up, as a Polish 2 cav/6 infantry stack is wiped out on the border in Ersekujvar, and a Polish doomstack assaults and takes Cherson. I have lots of cavalry heading to the Cherson doomstack - it's going to get a face full of cavalry when it's low on morale.

I have 2 12K cav stacks wandering the European Polish border, and the infantry is assaulting its way through the Horde.

January 27: Andalucia's stats: 8863.10 value, 476 provinces trading there.

January 31: 41 Polish regiments are busy assaulting Sieradz while 24K Spanish cavalry with a kick-ass general are bearing down on them. This highlights a huge advantage of all-cavalry stacks: you can exploit the enemy's assaults a lot easier if your army can actually get there in time.
C56_616_Assault-on-Sieradz.jpg

February 10: Crimea falls to the eastern Polish doomstack. The doomstack heads to Kaffa, where my cavalry is headed.

February 20: The western Polish doomstack is mauled horribly at Sieradz, and flees north.
C56_617_Battle-of-Sieradz.jpg

March 10: A Polish siege detachment helps me mop up a rebel uprising in Ratibor.

March 22: The Western Polish doomstack is mauled again in Kalisz and flees north to Danzig, where it is wiped out on April 1. The western front is now essentially a collection of small Polish stacks scurrying about avoiding the godlike hammer of my cavalry.

April 13: In a micromanagement oops, I realize that I forgot to actually send my armies in India against my enemies. The armies stop picking daisies, and start marching towards Malwa (infantry) and Deva Bengal (cavalry).

April 17: The Eastern Polish Doomstack gets crushed in Kaffa. Losing to all cavalry stacks is generally a death sentence unless you can rush in reserves to cover the retreat. Poland has no reserves.
C56_618_Battle-of-Kaffa.jpg

May 30: Malwa is annexed.

June 1: A 3 star PE advisor dies, and I replace him with a 6 star discipline advisor, because my armies don't kill enough of the enemy. This is like giving the Terminator some steroids.

June 6: Heated debate event. This is triggered by having a bad reputation (which Spain does not have - right?), and you either pay 50 ducats to lose 3 reputation, or lose 1 stability. Hard choice, that. 50 ducats...or 60000 ducats?

June 21: The Eastern Polish Doomstack is beaten again at Cherson. An embargo is issued against Poland to choke off their income in Pressburg and Hinterpommern. Hinterpommern is still too large to close after the embargo, but Pressburg drops under 300 ducats and becomes a war target.

July 14: Spain embargos the Golden Horde to choke off trade in Astrakhan, but my calculations were off - they remain at about 361 ducats. Drat.

July 22: The Eastern Polish Not-So-Doomstack is wiped out in Zaporozhia. Now it's just up to sieges and assaults as the infantry doomstack moves east to west.

August 27: GH cedes Burtasia, Uralsk, Samara, and Mordvar, splitting the nation in two.
C56_619_GH-cedes-4.jpg

September 15: The Mamluks are annexed, and the CoT in Butana is destroyed.
C56_620_Mamluks-annexed.jpg

December: The new Trade Map of Europe. The big winner is Denmark (Skane).
C56_621_Dec-1584-Trade.jpg

December 22: France warns us. So much for needing excommunication.

January 22, 1586: Brandenburg warns us.

May 2: Deva Bengal becomes an OPM, ceding Chittagong, Silhet, Vanga, and Pandua.

May 10: Poland is beaten, as my infantry doomstacks meet the Baltic Sea (remember they started in the Horde's territory). They cede the CoT in Pressburg, along with Azow, Zaporozhia, and Carpathia. Some claims are also given up. The CoT in Pressburg is summarily destroyed.
C56_622_Poland-cedes-Pressb.jpg

In other news:
Nicaragua, Sayultecas, Arica, and Benguela cored.

Ruppin, Lamu, Artois, Malindi, Kastamon, Smyrna, and Mombasa converted.

Ah yes, the tediousness of micromanaging your armies, the fun aspect of a WC :p

Yep, in eu3 there's a very high discipline. :p
And nations tend to have not-so-neat borders also. I'd say ugly. The AI knows nothing of drawing a pretty looking borderline. :eek:o

Right about that!!

Sorry for the lack of updates - prep for my oldest's birthday, building 2 bunk beds, cleaning out the kids' room, and moving furniture has conspired to make me too tired to play when I get time.

I hope to play tonight or tomorrow, and post on the night after I play.

Slinky: Yup. Most strategy games devolve into micromanagement if you take over the world.
Enewald: For the time period, yes. Nice borders are boring, IMHO.
Cohacq: Thank you!
Chief Ragusa: Lots. There are about 2 dozen left.

Chapter 57: Denmark joins the fun

May 12, 1586: Peace is bad, so Spain declares war on the excommunicated heretic king of France, bringing in Poland (with 2 doomstacks already there!), Denmark, Thuringia, and Brandenburg. Denmark is the only nation of real size, and once they're blockaded, they'll be easy as pie.
C57_623_DoW-France.jpg

June 21: Bourbon is colonized, fulfilling God's Will. Now God wants Tierra Del Fuego colonized.

July 2: Government 21.

July 26: A sizable Danish army is wiped out in one go at Lubeck.

October 13: DoW Bihar to bring in Tibet, Rajputana, and Orissa.
carthagebrujah

October 18: Tradition has gotten up to 97.10%, so we get a new general: Francisco Galvez, 4/5/6/2.

November 8: France is annexed, and the CoT in Paris is destroyed!
C57_625_France-annexed.jpg

December 25: Bihar cedes Gondwana and Maitihil, along with 225 ducats. They are now an OPM.
C57_626_Bihar-becomes-OPM.jpg

January 30, 1587: Brandenburg is annexed.

February 3: Bohemia warns us. Woot!

February 20: Thuringia is annexed.

February 27: Boundary dispute with Transylvania.

April 19: With Poland occupied, and Spanish armies marching up the Danish peninsula, Sweden declares war on Denmark.

June 8: Colonial expansion in Charcas.

January 5, 1588: Denmark cedes Bremen, Vorpommern, Jylland, and Slesvig, pushing them out of the Danish Peninsula and Germany.
C57_627_Denmark-cedes-4.jpg

January 6: With everyone else done, Poland is stripped of Masovia, Podolia, Volhynia, Ruthenia, and Kalisz. This provides another connection to my Middle Eastern territories.
C57_628_Poland-cedes-5.jpg

January 10: With the war in Europe over, it's time for another one. Prussia is allied to Poland, Riga, Bohemia, and Muscowy, which will let me take care of Poland again as well as Bohemia, and snag a manufactory from Prussia. They're also Catholic, so I excommunicate Friedrich Wilhelm III.
C57_629_Looking-for-targets.jpg

Elsewhere:
Damaraland, Greater Namaquala, Lesser Namaquala, and Rio de la Plata cored.

Guayana, Mbaracayu, Chaco Boreal, Charcas, and Allegheny became self-sustaining.

Tanga, Bagamoyo, Anatolia, London, and Angora converted.

Biskra assimilated to Castilian.

Free fortification upgrade to level 2 in Malwa, Al-Djazair, and Erserum

Reformed minorities flocked to Yaqui.

Last edited:
Your European expansion is going well. It's always good to see France gone even if they couldn't do much harm as an OPM, especially taking their COT is nice. :)

How common is seeing cultural assimilations?

Cultural assimilations can only happen either in your capital, or in a province neighboring a state-culture province, so they're pretty rare, unless you have the special cases (Greek <-> Turkish in Anatolia, Tartar -> Russian, etc). They can be sped up by going with Serfdom, and I think Church Attendance Duty (but don't quote me).

In Africa, they are slightly more common due to the number of pagan provinces and colonizable provinces next to muslim provinces - many of the starting Muslim provinces south of the Sahara will end up bordering a state-culture province that can cause a conversion. In Europe, there just aren't enough provinces bordering your state-culture provinces to see this happen often.

Slinky: I agree! Wiping France is pretty much everyone's goal.

Enewald: What's the link? :)

naggy said:
Tidbit: Andalucia would have >3 trillion people by 1821 if there wasn't a population cap (1 million in 1571 with 83% growth/decade)

:eek: the entire world would be a city....:p

Btw what do you make monthly off Andulacia, sry if you posted I usually skim aars :eek:o I like the pictures...:D