• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So Claudius is removed and Soumar put in command, a move I think we have all expected for long but still hoped never would happen. Soumar sure is the silliest and dumbest general in the world and to put him in charge of the Empire’s life might be the dumbest thing the Emperor has ever done. But then again this is good news, because now that Claudius has been sent away he might once more join Remus and then the two of them can march against Soumar and Rome. If there is one thing I know it is that Claudius and Remus can defeat Soumar without trouble…

Nice update Mett, looking forward to read more, maybe about Remus next time? :)

never forget about LUCK ....now wouldnt it be fun if Soumar by roll of the die ended up winning a great victory ! :D

The Protectorii will make sure that Claudius' words reach all the army. The Roman army will be less than keen to be given to a barbarian. The army may decide that don't want to trade a careful commander for someone who could not even beat the Vandals - and the Ostrogoths are a lot tougher. Heads up, Suomar!

Mettermrck said:
cthulhu: You will never give up on the Republic, will you? ;)

Never! It's the only way to purge Rome from it's middle-eastern inspired monarchy nonsense that led to the present decay in the first place. :mad: And now another jackass in command? I almost want to see the west fall. :(

But the disappointments aside, great stuff as always. :)

Well, the only marvel is how long that took.

But while Claudius is going quietly here, let's think. He's going to Mediolanum, which would put him between both Rome and Suomar on one side, and Remus on the other.

Perhaps the two old campaigners are going to get back together after all.

Well this is interesting. Suomar leading the last defense of Romulus. I wouldn't say that he is defending Rome, because soon Remus will return from north and defeats Goths and also Suomar, if he is stupid enough and tries to stop him reaching Rome.
Romulus decision was possibly affected about loyalty. Lets face the truth, Claudius would join Remus if time comes. He is quite reasonable guy and would to right decisions.
All this madness will end when Romulus finds his end.

boehm said:
never forget about LUCK ....now wouldnt it be fun if Soumar by roll of the die ended up winning a great victory ! :D

Agree, that would be fun :D

Go general Verus, go to victory! Or get your army smashed, i like the Ostrogoths, they deserve victory, they deserve to overthrow this so-called Empire. Onward to victory brave Ostrogoths, all hail king Theoderik. ;)

I guess Remus has to hurry beating the burgundians since it seems he has to save the Empire from the ostrogoths too, my guess is that Suomar himself will fall against the ostrogoths (or even switch side when he see he's losing), and Claudius and Remus will have to save Rome from a sieging Theoderic.

At least Claudius will have a chance to pull up a comfy chair. ;)

Personally...

I'm pulling for Suomar. The uncouth barbarian does have a talent at leading men, although he's utterly inept at some of the finer points of campaigning. I think it would be fitting to see Claudius wrong, rather than tedious, and I think Suomar may be the one commander besides Remus capable of whipping his troops into enough of a frenzy to destroy the Ostrogoth invasion-- if he doesn't destroy his army in the attempt. It's a toss of the die, but unlike Sicily and the Vandal prince, Suomar is not in such a terrible position to make his rashness completely unsound.

Well,

That certinaly has been enjoyable, after month's of absence I have finally managed to catch up with this exclent tale. I am very glad to have spent the last two day's at work reading this peice, and only wish for more! fast!.

As for the actual story itself, I personally do not want to see a moderate or good Imparator. It lends much to the story that my the characters have been in such obvious struggles with each other. As much as I would like the outcome a story where a general conquers the 'known world' and his best buddy, an administrative genius, grows the Empire lean, strong and mean. It would undoubatbly be less enjoyable as one that is cast in intrigue and a struggle for our heros as much against their breathrin within Rome than the Barbarians without.

Sir Clive

SirCliveWolfe said:
Well,

As for the actual story itself, I personally do not want to see a moderate or good Imparator. It lends much to the story that my the characters have been in such obvious struggles with each other. As much as I would like the outcome a story where a general conquers the 'known world' and his best buddy, an administrative genius, grows the Empire lean, strong and mean. It would undoubatbly be less enjoyable as one that is cast in intrigue and a struggle for our heros as much against their breathrin within Rome than the Barbarians without.

Sir Clive

Well, what you say is most certainly right. Too much luck, with no bad things happening would be boooring. But Rome can't remain in the hands of Romulus forever, Empire wouldn't just survive that. It would if he wouldn't be so power hungry and would trust some good advisers like Selenus or Remus. People who surrounds him now are very dangerous.
But then again, this is what gives makes it interesting.

And I'm already waiting for new update.

Lord E: Thanks....doing the scene with Claudius and Suomar, I kept picturing Hood and Joe Johnston during the Atlanta Campaign, when Johnston got relieved in place of the fiery Hood in '64. I think Suomar has elements of Hood, fiery and aggressive, great as a subordinate, but as an army commander?

boehm: Now that would certainly vault Suomar and Romulus' party into the ascendancy!

Chief Ragusa: Certainly Suomar will have to tread softly with this army...the core of it remains Remus' old veterans from his Italian days.

cthulhu: Thanks man...sorry we're a few centuries too late for your republic. ;)

stynlan: You're too good at this, keep picking up the subtle details.

Spothisto: If it's one thing Rome's history teaches, it's that the madness never ends. :D

Lofman: Well, as scenario designer, your barbarian preferences are well enough, if not shared by this humble author. ;)

yourworstnightm: Depends on if Suomar can inflict damage on Theodoric...so far, the Goths are in retreat back into Cisalpine Gaul...will be interesting to see if they stay there.

Vincent Julien: Very true, I'm sure Claudius will enjoy repairing the defenses at Mediolanum.

Petrarca: Welcome back! And interesting perspective...it's fun to read the many points of feedback, to find that Suomar isn't unilaterally despised, etc. It gives me a little push to remind me not to let the character know only failure, to only be heavy-handed and petty.

SirCliveWolfe: I think I can safely guarantee that no matter who sits on the throne when the dust clear, they won't sit easily.

I am moving this weekend and will have to shift internet access over the next week or two. I'll keep writing, of course and should resume my forum browsing soon. In the meantime, hopefully VJ has some goodies in store. Thanks all for the continued readership! Your input is so helpful to my writing.

7ir.gif

The air always had a hint of myrtle leaf, peculiar to the lady’s residence. That the spice was a symbol of fertility was a nuance hardly lost on her, Genucius thought as he sipped his warm wine. The Lady Barbaria’s circle was always…fertile….at court and as trite as she and her entourage often were, neither could they be ignored. So when the Imperator’s aging mother summoned the imperii leader, he would be foolish to ignore her.

”Ah, there we are,” his host said, bustling into the room with high enthusiasm, her voice trilling just a tone too high, he mused. Had he interrupted? In his mind, he could picture the well-muscled favorite racing down the hallway towards the rear entrance. She was known for such fickle tastes. Never a beauty, she still drew men like moths by virtue of her position and subtleties. Genucius had heard the rumors, of course. With the young Selenus’ departure, her affections had moved on to a procession of officers, clerks, and court officials, each affair more scratched and bittersweet than the next. She used up her men like wax candles, though there was an effect on her as well, he noticed. Her skin was losing its battle with time, the droop more pronounced of late. Her well oiled hair looked more and more artificial, the black too perfect to be called real. And her clothes hung more loosely, perhaps to hide the fading curves? It was unfortunate that her mental powers did not suffer such loss, he decided. As she lay down on the couch, affecting an unconcerned style, he resettled himself a fraction too late. As usual, she knew precisely what he had been thinking.

barbariarv2.jpg
”I always did like the cool weather, Dives,” she said delicately, arranging herself languidly on the silk cushions. ”No servants to wave fans at you, struggling to keep you cool,” she smiled.

He wasn’t sure if it was piteous to watch an aging woman use the archaic flirtations of youth. Did she see her own decline or, lost in the world of the fawning, was she clinging to what attractions she might have had? Those who do not see reality are the most dangerous of all.

”Vero,” he said calmly, summoning a lazy detachment to mask his swirling thoughts. Barbaria was good at reading a man, yet he was experienced at not being read. There were times when he enjoyed their banter. ”Winters in Italia can be harsh from time to time, but the descent itself is so very refreshing. Another cycle of seasons pass, and one wonders what to look forward to in the next.”

”That depends on much, does it not, Dives?” she responded, her eyebrows raised ever so slightly. ”If my son were here, he might look to the stars to find his answers.” The pair chuckled, and Genucius relaxed. Romulus could sometimes remain a safe subject between them.

He eased forward to have his goblet refilled and he glanced around the opulent furnishings in the quiet lounge, waiting for the servant to make her discreet exit. ”I take it the Imperator consults with the Bishop again today?”

”Consults? You value poor Felix too highly, Dives, no doubt the mark of a nervous Senator. No, no…dear Romulus simply has Constantine’s disease. He styles himself a priest from time to time. He waits daily for news of Verus’ glorious victory and looks for signs in all things.”

Genucius hid his instinctive reaction behind another sip. The Senate was naturally conscious of what dignity it retain, and between the Curia Julia and the Vaticanus, there was little love. ”Felix fusses over eastern squabbles too much to notice what goes on behind him. He’s too busy fuming over Euphemius to see how irrelevant he’s become. It was one thing when there was no one to sit on the western throne but a strong Rome? With an army behind it? Makes a priest a tool, not a vicar. Don’t you agree?”

It was an uncharacteristically strong pronouncement, and he wondered briefly if he’d said too much. Yet these were sentiments that everyone already knew belonged to the leading Senator. Barbaria let him dangle for an instant before cutting through the brief tension. ”Distracted perhaps. Irrelevant? Senator Markus might have revived the Senate and brought a balance of sorts, but you forget yourself if you think the priests supine. My son likes when his subjects play and bicker.”

He chose to keep silent rather than continue the uncomfortable train of thought. He knew was an imperial creature, yet preferred not to speak of it too openly. ”So your son cavorts with the Bishop? Cause for alarm, Lady?”

Her trilling laugh said more than her words could. ”Certainly not, dear Dives. As you say, the Bishop is irrelevant.” He pretended to catch her humor and waited for her laughter to subside. In an instant, however, she was quite sober.

”I will tell you what alarms me, Senator Genucius. It is this talk I hear of you and Regulus.” He set down his goblet, her shift in tone signaling a change in the conversation. ”Did you truly believe you could slide her into my son’s bed without my knowledge? How long have we known each other, Genucius?” It was a rhetorical question, which he wisely chose not to answer.

”Hesta is charming in her own way,” she said easily, ”yet she is not for my son. Surely you know this. The embassy hasn’t left Italia.”

True enough, he conceded, though hardly conclusive. The new emperor in the East, Anastasius, was treading carefully, waiting to see if his nominal ally, Theodoric, would indeed crush the upstart emperor in the West, or would Romulus survive, forcing him to switch tactics. The old treaty, dropped ever since the Acacian schism, did not completely lay forgotten. Genucius knew many in Rome longed to see Romulus wed to an eastern princess and become Anastasius’ junior, the fortunes of the Empire bound together once more.

genuciusan5.jpg
”These are dangerous games, Lady Barbaria. Waiting for the priests to settle their affairs and the East to come back to the table is risky. A solid Roman girl, from a good family, would set the imperial succession on a stable path now, rather than banking on a tenuous future.”

Again, she laughed, though more shrewdly this time. ”Your nobility is charming as it is assumed, dear Dives. You stand to gain much more than a stable succession if your girl is wed to my son. Which, I assure you, she will not,” she said, resuming her serious tone. ”And now, perhaps if you’ll excuse me? I think perhaps I will pay a call on my son. The privileges of motherhood.” She stood, prompting him to emulate her and take his leave. As usual, behind the pleasantries, she was as firmly rooted against him as ever.

Behind Genucius’ mask of indifference, his calculations were shifting once again. Right now Lady Barbaria would be whispering poison into young Romulus’ ears, playing Hesta to be the harlot. Regulus was always too optimistic and surely Arcadius should know better. Perhaps a solution would present itself without their intervention.

Last edited:
Poison is always a perfectly good solution. :X Well written and played, Mett :)

It would have been a smart move to have the leader of the imperial party in the senate tied by family to the Emperor. Their hopes, it seems rest on two empty shells; a union with the east and Suomar Verus. Verus is a smash'em general - either your army or the enemies.

What does the priest tell Romulus? Could he be suggestingthat women arethe root of all evil, have no business in politics and prone to scandalous love affairs? Will Romulus emulate Nero?

Mettermrck said:
In the meantime, hopefully VJ has some goodies in store.

Yes, indeed. Soon enough!

*ADVERTISEMENT* And don't forget to the read my review of Mett's 'Advantages' in the upcoming edition of the AARlander! Reserve your copy today! *ADVERTISEMENT*

There is something so very endearing about Roman intrigues. They love them so much they partake deeply even as their putative state is assailed from without ... and within. I wonder who else has been whispering into Romulus' ear - and what.