• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jestor

King of Spades
28 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Since I was stupid enough to leave my CK CD back at home and it wasn't where I thought it was, I've decided to create this mini-AAR thread as an expansion to The Beautiful Girl and the History Class.

I don't know how closely it'll tie in to CK, but I didn't want to keep it in the original thread, because it disrupts the first person Nick-narrated POV.

Not sure how this is going to work out, but I'll give it a crack.

Obviously they'll be entries from Bobby "Caveman" Schwarzwald's journal(s). I'm not sure yet what date the first one will start at, or even if they'll be in chronological order. (This is Caveman we're talking about here, after all!).

But we'll see how it goes. :)

Oh my gosh! Awesomeness! :D I'm pumped.
I was going to say in the other thread, that you should just spend a month immersing us in college melodrama, but my unspoken wish is granted. :cool: Good luck sir, you know I'm reading.

Oh and tasteful of you to call it an expansion rather than a spin-off.

Jestor: ...Not sure how this is going to work out, but I'll give it a crack.

looking forward to this ! ! :cool:

Hajji Giray I: Glad to fulfill your wishes and have you along. :D As you'll see with the first entry, expansion is precisely the word I wanted and not spin-off.

GhostWriter: Thanks! :)

I'll have the first update some today/tonight.

Chief Ragusa said:
Caveman keeps a journal? He can write. I'm looking forward to seeing hios take on Nick and Melody and learning what he really thinks of Becky.

:D So many questions, so many mysteries. Maybe some will be answered here.

To say I love you in the written word is one of the most cowardly acts possible.

And yet it is an act that private, dreaming men are often wont to engage in, for it is the safest form of declaration.

To say I love you in ink, graphite, text is to gather up our brimming, soul-consuming affection up into a bag and toss over the edge of a vast, yawning cliff.

Into the void of nothingness.

No response needed, no acknowledgement required. We pine, we yearn, we suffer, our hearts rattle and race in our chests as we pray for an answer, yet hope no confrontation comes, no forced interaction of us and our heart's greatest wish, for there can only be two results from the collision.

Either we are shattered by our disappointment or downcast by our disillusion as the slender, sylph-like, gossamer-winged seraphim we have created turns into tubby, ordinary, wingless toadess in the span of ten hours, ten days, or, in the luckiest cases, ten years.

Even if the fantasy should match the reality, the success as delicious as the dreaming, it is still a cruel course to write those three small words.

Nick is a perfect example of what I mean.

Dumped by Melody, he has only the text, the scrawled out letters. Only his eyes are permitted to cherish and summon her affections. The other senses are shut out forevermore.

His only recollection of her affirmed love will be the impersonal white paper, the cooled ashes of the words she wrote. No sound, no touch, no movement, no context accompanies these dead letters.

All conjuration and all speculation he could come up with, the desk she may have written at, the pen she chose to scribe her doomsday message, what she wore in that hour, the furrows and shifts of her lips, eyes, hands, feet... all of these would be no more than mastubatory projections, mirages built upon the sands of the deserted relationship, with no actuality, no truth, and no connection to them.

It is he and he alone who has these imaginings, for she has robbed him of the colors, the sights, the music, the dance, and the scenery of love's confession in the spatial-temporal-material world. All his mind, all his senses would be engaged, enflamed, if she only had been a little kinder.

Love by text is one of life's great paradoxes: Removed from time and place in which it is written, the feeling it induces is emphemeral, alive for only its too-brief spot of relativity before it becomes and dead. Not so a physical, multi-faceted confession, for -that- is able to be re-animated, to live again and again on memory's silver screen.

Those who know my own past will accuse me of hypocrisy in this matter and they would be right to do so, but then, I am what I am:

A trembling, shadowy fool who knows his own folly, cursed with the inability to act against his original nature.

That's an excellent start, Jestor. I admit not having read the original work and regret that I did not start reading it sooner. If it's anything like this, I may just have to devote some heavy time to reading it. I'll follow this though and keep that temptation alive. :)

Jestor: ...Those who know my own past will accuse me of hypocrisy in this matter...

awesome ! ! too many unanswered questions, but i suspect that time will tell much... ;)

excellent update ! !
:cool:

Caveman has confirmed all my suspicions: a man driven mad, to put it kindly.

Next update in the main AAR: Caveman's frat brothers have nicked his diary and are reading it, laughing, and scrawling jokes in the back for when they return it.

coz1: Thank you! :) I can't promise how often I'll update this one, but I'm shooting for an absolute minimum of once a week. With regards to the original, the only similarities are that they share the same universe and the same characters, occurring in roughly the same time frame. Oh, and the 1st person POV. :D BG&HC is in Nick's voice and active-present tense, whereas CJ are in Caveman's voice and more of a reflective/past tense tone, so they're very different stylisticaly.

That being said, reading the main AAR will give you a much better understanding of the background and context in which these journal entries are written. :)

GhostWriter: Thanks. :) You're right, in that these journal entries will open up more questions, yet they'll answer other ones that the source AAR has presented, either to the readers or to me, the AuthAAR :D

J. Passepartout: Ah, but what is madness? For example, is Meher Ali -really- mad? Hilarious idea for next original update :D The imagery cracks me up.

I woke up this morning to the pleasant drum of rain on my window.

It was the sort of chilly, misty autumn morning that makes curling up in bed with a cup of hot cocoa a sweet pleasure. Or even just laying beneath the heavy blankets, quietly musing on the dreams delivered in serene sleep beneath a down comforter.

But no cocoa awaited me and I was so fully awake that the last fragments of the dreaming were already so faded that I could not even catch their last wisps before they disappeared into the realm of the forgotten.

Still, it was the kind of morning that, were I female and with any musical aptitude, I would write a song by the window, the rain my percussion. But I am no Amy Lee, no Jewel, not even crass Liz Phair.

People often ask me why I hate women.

It's because I know them too well. Know them for their flaws, their mundane nature, their very humanity. And I despise them for it.

Nick wonders why I don't pursue things with Becky. I wonder the same of him, for he and Becky are two of a kind. Homebodies, content with an ordinary life and who will never amount to anything because of it. The reason everybody loves them, everyone likes them, is because they are so safe. Friendly, talkative, they pose no threat to anyone's ambition and so everyone can afford to make them popular.

Becky is too sweet, too paradoxically plain. Her beauty is the sort that de Sade called too commonplace and so a deathknell to the desiring drive. Just thinking of her makes my skin shudder with disgust.

Melody, on the other hand, is the sort of girl I was meant for, for she is a phoenix, wide-winged, brilliant, worldly, and soars those rarefied heights that only the most elect, the most priveleged of wealth, intellect and creativity can reach.

Why should I, a fellow phoenix, tether myself to a gilded parrot like Becky? Her chatter is noxious and it is one of my great failings that I can not simply tell her to go away, to never disturb me again.

But it matters not. I am as Lucius Sulla, born to the highest sort of nobility, but without the means to access my birthright. To stand among the giants of my generation, my world as I properly should.

Instead, I am forced to my silence, my brooding... pacings on the back porch, manly man's Lucky Strikes lit and smoked in ceaseless succession, now one, now two, now five as I chase the flames of insight flaring in my mind, my body trembling in those precious moments with inspiration that I will never realize.

For that perfect state, that zone where I swim in the dark grottos of my submerged revelations, is shattered in a second.

Other voices, the wrong kind of music, the presence of people who dare to speak to me as I trek back inside the house, they transport me out of my pristine fantasy lands, where I've at last, at long last grasped onto something, and back into the real world, with all of its banality and its tedium.

And then those epiphanies drown back into the dark waters, going away with the swiftness of escaped dream's gleamings.

And I am left staring at the opaque bleakness, everything I imagined barred to me until the next time I tromp to and fro on the porch, smoke and tobacco my guides back down.

My life has ever been thus, the pursuit of nocturnal phantoms at the glowing, orange point of a cigarette, when all the world is dark and silent.

Sunlight and noise belong to the Beckys and the Nicks of this world.

Why can't he see where he belongs? With who he belongs?

His got quite the Holden Caulfield complex going on there. ;)

Chief Ragusa: So how would you describe Becky and Melody then? :) I do agree with you on his not knowing Melody at all, but Becky I wonder about.

coz1: I hadn't thought about it until you pointed it out, but there -are- some similarities there. :) One could make the argument that Holden Caufield has become an archetype in and of himself.

J. Passepartout: That, I think, will be the subject for another journal entry. :)

Becky's come at Caveman from a certain direction. Now she's realized that he's not interested in that direct approach. She hit him with a song. Becky's a determined girl and not one to give up. She's far from one dimensoinal. Unlike Caveman.

Caveman, the disaffected fallen aristocrat frat boy..? Sounds like a bright boy, but clearly a bit unhinged.

Jestor: ...Why can't he see where he belongs? With who he belongs?

hmmm. i wonder who else is so blind as to "self" ! ! :rolleyes:

( that seems to be a common human trait ! ! )

awesome update ! ! :cool:

Chief Ragusa: Fascinating take on both Becky and Caveman. It does seem as though she's going to hold to it, doesn't she?

JimboIX: It kind of makes you wonder, though... is he an elitist solely in the mind or is he of well-to-do background himself?

GhostWriter: It certainly is a human failing that we don't really see ourselves as who we really are, whether positively or negatively. But then, the question becomes, who are we -really-? The sum of our experiences and thoughts? How others view and interpret us? Some combination of the two? Something completely different?

Yes, even the feedback provides not more answers, but more questions. :D