• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That must be one of the most ignominious endgames ever :eek: And I thought Luxembourg would present the path of least resistance...

Yeah, I'd only feel more pathetic if I got annexed by Ryukyu while playing Ming.

why not expand the way the House of Hapsburg did historically? expand by diplomacy. Your first potential targets should be Luxembourg, Lorraine, and Trier (might be a theocracy, but I cannot recall) if you can and do chose this approach. Then go for whatever that TPM north of Elsas is and Baden. You could then go after Alsacce and annex them by force. After that, you might be strong enough to take on the other smaller German states and annex them militarily, or you can continue expanding diplomatically, as many of the German countries are small enough that you can do this. Also, make sure to kiss up to France and wait for them and Burgundy to go to war and when they trounce them, you can then pick up the pieces. You might also kiss up to both and then play the opportunist.

why not expand the way the House of Hapsburg did historically? expand by diplomacy. Your first potential targets should be Luxembourg, Lorraine, and Trier if you can and do chose this approach. Then go for whatever that TPM north of Elsas is and Baden. You could then go after Alsacce and annex them by force. After that, you might be strong enough to take on the other smaller German states and annex them militarily, or you can continue expanding diplomatically, as many of the German countries are small enough that you can do this.

Because as an OPM with a Burgundian core next to Burgundy, it's like playing a hamburger at a picnic. Diplomacy alone won't work - I won't live long enough. But alas...I may have something. Only took 4 more tries...

Chapter 2: Lorraine

After getting beaten like a red-headed stepchild, we go back to the drawing board.

Let's get back to basics. This is Heir to the Throne, so let's go claim a throne!

We start by requesting an RM with Lorraine. They accept. We also hire 2 regiments of mercenary infantry, and 1 regiment of mercenary Latin Knights. To pay for maintenance (since we'll be 100% over the limit of 2), we start minting.
b02rmlorraine.png

Our first mission: Form Alliance with France. Not likely... Burgundy starts the ball rolling by invading Brabant. Brunswick joins in with Brabant, and probably does nothing.

November 12: Lorraine guarantees us. Will they defend us from the evil Lorrainians?

November 16: We claim the title of Duke of Lorraine.
b02ctlorraine.png

December 17: The Duke of Bar declares war on Lorraine to secure the duchy. Ansbach and Milan leap to defend Lorraine...as long as they don't have to actually go anywhere or do anything. To pay for the mercs, we raise war taxes.
b02dowlorraine.png

Since we have double Lorraine's army, and cavalry (where they don't), their army dies quickly, along with the replacement mercs they hire underneath our armies. Now it's a race: the sieges need to end before I run out of money.

July 1, 1400: Whoops. Ran out of money, and we take a loan of 11 ducats. Remember - bankruptcy takes out my mercs, so I have to hurry.
b02loan.png

September 18: Metz falls.

October 1: I consolidate armies, and dismiss the expensive cavalry.

November 21: Lothringen falls. Lorraine cedes Metz, and Robert becomes the Duke of Bar and Lorraine. Lorraine also annuls all their treaties, giving us 47 prestige and 4 infamy.

November 22: Lorraine accepts. EU3 math: -10 prestige + 47 prestige = 76 prestige? I'll take that!

With the war over, maintenance is reduced (I had to keep it during the siege, lest Milan or Ansbach actually show up).

Feb 13, 1401: Savoy offers alliance. We accept. Remember: the AI takes alliance size into account, even if the ally is nowhere nearby. To bolster our now sagging legitimacy (you lose 20 for Claim Throne), we RM Luxemburg.

A quick look at Lorraine shows they hate us (-50 relations). Keep in mind that the PU is severed if relations are under 0. We increase at 10/year, but my king has been on the throne 50 years - he can die at any time. First, I guarantee their independence - a free 10 relations and yearly boost.
b02lorrainerelations.png

Since France isn't biting, we cancel the mission...now we have to improve relations with Lorraine. Duh!

April 20: Brabant cedes Brabant to Burgundy and forks over their treasury. We start replacing mercs with regular troops. To pay for this, we start minting and placing merchants in Liguria, then Lubeck, then Venice.

May 8: Scandal at the court. We choose to lose prestige, since money is tight.

May 22: Out of free relations boosters, we send 6.6 gold to Lorraine for 14 relations.

June 15: Burgundy guarantees us. Funny. As in "You're next!"

July 1: 6.6 more gold to Lorraine raises relations by 22, to 0.

August 2: With relations now at 0, we can demand an alliance with Lorraine (which they accept). Now I can count on their 1000 troops.

October 1: Land reform in Metz.

November 1: France has no heir...hrm...can we say marriage? I think so!
b02frenchsuccession.png

Oooh look...we have a chance to get a PU with France...
b02frenchsuccession2.png

January 1, 1402: We now have 3 merchants in Liguria, and retain a 2 star diplomat to reduce infamy. Our inflation is at 2, and that will probably double before I can stop minting.

July 7: Nobles demand more rights. Stability (which takes 3 months to return) or -1 centralization? Let me think on that...

December 1: Burgundy declares war on Luxemburg. Whew.

July 10, 1403: Burgundy finishes eating Luxemburg.

September 15: France declares war on England.

March 6, 1404: Charles VI dies, leaving the throne to Duke Robert. Woooooohoooo!!! (and I didn't even have to claim it! Ain't prestige great?)
b02frenchpu.png

4 1/2 years - we're a two province with 2 Personal Unions...now Robert needs to die so we can inherit Lorraine. Once France finishes with England, I will have to stay at war to avoid insults.

On the economic side, I now have 5 merchants in Genoa and Lubeck, and 2 in Venice. No more minting for now - I need government 4 for an idea.

To paraphrase Optimus Prime, all you needed was a little energon, and a lot of luck. And replace "energon" with "planning" or "royal marriage" or sumthin'

Well done, sir. Well done.

Yeah, you could almost end the AAR right here :D

Well, I still want to see him do a Provence, using and abusing France as long as he can :D After that I agree, the AAR can be successfully concluded...

Well, I still want to see him do a Provence, using and abusing France as long as he can :D After that I agree, the AAR can be successfully concluded...

Here, Burgundy, Burgundy, Burgundy...

Nicely done. I haven't got the hang of the whole inheriting countries in HTTT yet. How will you inherit France? If you can that is....

I think that I need to grow a bit to do that, and make absolutely sure my prestige and relations stay positive. Thus, the French army will be paying my neighbors a lot of visits.

I think that I need to grow a bit to do that, and make absolutely sure my prestige and relations stay positive. Thus, the French army will be paying my neighbors a lot of visits.

Sounds like a good plan. I can't recall the specifics ( I really should be able too :eek:o) Does a nation under a personal union that captures provinces give control to the leader of the union as a vassal does to its liege?

ZombieBar? Hopefully not. Although, that might be cool... :)

The PU certainly changes the situation a bit :rofl: Nice work with Lorraine before that.

I also like that fact that you have FreeCell running while working on screenshots :D

JKNUBZ: This AAR is a bit more Megatron. :)

sprites: A very big stick that has a tendency to bite its owner.

Rabid: If waking up to find yourself riding an angry steroidal bull is "anticlimactic..."

Tsar_adam: Thank you!

Duke of Wellington: Elsewhere, the explanation was that usually yes. However, if they have a core, then they will take control.

Auray: Must be, given how many retries this took. It took a couple tries to not have Burgundy DoW on day 2.

Malurous: I almost always have freecell running. ;)

ratonbox: Thank you!

I'll try and get an update out tomorrow. A good friend of mine was in a horrific wreck today, along with her son, so I was not really up to writing about what happened, although I will warn you that there was a decade of snoozing.

Oh, and i forgot to ask. :D mIRC? Is that for CyberNations?

I play eRepublik (a web browser game that's boring as hell, but has a fun IRC component), and I'm also in the Camarilla (a global Vampire LARP org).