• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There has been plenty of wars recently, I bet that soon you can get land connection from your Middle East territories to your Far East territories.

You say that wars have been boring and there's little to report about battles, so I was wondering if you could instead report more about the more peaceful aspects of your realm, by that I mean your trade, colonies, politics etc. I have no idea if you have monopolies, what is your research focus and whatkind of advisors, missions and politics your state has.

FEEDBACK

demokratickid - Soon (ish)

Unibrow - Sadly I think they're going to go...

Babington-Smyth - Milan will get hammered at some point soon - just how much damage I can inflict will depend on their diplomatic stance after the first war is over. If they start GOIing the minors or become HRE then they are in real trouble. They've been at war with the Ottos for over a decade and it's caused all their diplomatic entanglements to lapse.

budseligsucks - In IN Cabinet is now -1 BB instead of +1 Diplomat. I really needed to move Aristocratic (by a lot) in the past but I didn't realise that I'd end up in this situation. As a pointer to anyone else doing a Pagan WC don't bother trying to move narrowminded after westernising jusrt move Aristo if you aren't already.

Sirveri - The console leads to the Dark Side :p

comagoosie - That French stack was a serious nuisance. It was definitely a fine performance by the RNG :D

unddu - Imageshack, I've switched as in the last two months my Photobucket account has maxed out and then they start spamming me with buy the upgrade emails - I love you guys but not enough to pay for webhosting :rofl:

Enewald - Not for too much longer!

aldriq - I can visualise this culture clash between the Burgundians wanting to use grapes for wine and the locals wanting to use them for Vodka :)

naggy - Alas they died within weeks - central europe is an unwise place to revolt as there are usually troops nearby.

Wayloss - :eek: Isn't a globespanning Iroquois Republic silly enough?

Donasin - I'm going to take a break from AAR writing for a little while after this is done - it's been a couple of hours or more nearly every day since early December.

Olaus Petrus - I haven't got a clue about my domestic stuff either I've been totally immersed in micromanaging wars and considering the diplomatic situation. I've added a fair bit of information at the end of this update.

To all - any questions about the game please ask now and I'll try and answer them in a year 1800 round up over the weekend.

Chapter Sixty Four

August 1796 starts with Japan warning Iroquois against going to war. An unwise move but it saves me a diplomat.

06/08/1796 Cauca converts

Peace with France – October 1796

eu3151.jpg

France is now an OPM. If you wait long enough a country in France’s position will offer a decent peace deal. Just be sure you appreciate what the enemy’s provinces are worth so you can assess the deal. Pause the game open the peace dialogue and check the value of the offer if you aren’t sure. This deal is a no brainer.

Peace with Manchu – October 1796

eu3152.jpg

This is most of Manchu Manchuria as well as a single province in the South to give a border with Tibet proper. I’m hoping Tibet will do something foolish.

North East Asia – October 1796

eu3153.jpg

First Blood Sweden – October 1796

eu3154.jpg

This is as bad as it looks – that Swedish stack was half the size of mine at 21 regiments and is much smaller than the army in Stockholm (52 regiments). The problem is tech again. Sweden is Land 60 with Napoleonic Square Infantry and Latin Lancers – they’re probably twice as good as my forces unit for unit.

I have to run south for safety in occupied Danish lands as both stacks come hunting. This is back to the old days of Iroquois units not being able to stand against European opposition. The difference now is that as long as my army here keeps the Swedes tied up south of Stockholm other forces can merrily take Swedish Livonia, Novgorod and Finland. I doubt Sweden’s manpower pool can sustain this war indefinitely.

I need a plan, a real one as opposed to find, kill, assault.

The Swedish Theatre – December 1796

eu3155.jpg

The Swedes have just finished a long war with the Golden Horde – there are some 48,000 Swedish soldiers but 75+ regiments. Manpower is Sweden’s weakness and that’s what I need to target.

The army in Skane will serve as a distraction to try and draw Swedish troops south while the other forces will gain the war score to inflict a damaging peace. The frontier provinces in Livonia and Novgorod are heavily fortified but much of Finland, Sweden and Norway have only level 2 forts. This means even relatively small stacks can storm. However, for the first time since ‘Improved Foraging’ attrition management will become a concern.

The Skane force is 46 regiments. The army invading Livonia 30, the force landed in Finland 27 and the army moving out of Russia 42.

The AI isn’t good at multiple fronts so that’s the easiest way of seizing the strategic initiative even if I can’t win head on very often.

The final point to appreciate is Sweden has guaranteed Gotland, they can be reDOWed almost immediately.

Japan declares War – January 1797

eu3156.jpg

Once you take land in the Japanese islands then you’re basically committed to a campaign to annex Japan. The Japanese AI will just keep on and on attacking you.

Iroquois declares war on Taungu – February 1797

eu3157.jpg

Taungu a 3 province minor is guaranteed by Manchu. This is the final opportunity to use a guarantee to draw Manchu into war. That is unless a period of peace and rebuilding persuades the Manchu AI to start some diplomacy.

Castile warns us – March 16th 1797

The situation is definitely escalating towards total war :D

The war in Southern Sweden – Late March 1797

eu3158.jpg

The main Swedish stack started marching for Jutland and Northern Germany so I trapped them in the Danish capital to eat attrition and bleed manpower. Also in shot I’m focused on attacking the secondary stack with the aim of destroying it. Sieges are progressing in Finland and Livonia.

June 1797 Persia is annexed

The wars in Asia proceed without hitches, every three to four provinces I have to pause an army for a couple of months to regain morale so I can restart the assaults. The Timurid Empire is slowly being occupied, even now this is a time consuming process. The Bohemians and the Horde are occupied and I’m simply waiting for an advantageous peace.

Peace with Denmark – September 1797

eu3159.jpg

This reduces Denmark to an OPM and leaves that large Swedish army isolated in neutral territory.

Peace with Bohemia – September 1797

eu3160.jpg

This is frankly a rubbish peace deal but it does save me a diplomat – and I already know the next four wars I want to start.

I have also destroyed that smaller Swedish stack after a four province chase. Once it had lost it’s infantry component I couldn’t get ahead of it so I kept getting the attack terrain penalty.

October 1797 – Gov’t 61 and the 11th National Idea slot opens – I’m still at Land 52, in another 10 months or so I’ll be in a position to try the high level Land Tech NI (Level 53) Espirit d’Corps - +25% Discipline.

Peace with the Golden Horde – October 1797

eu3161.jpg

Another solid peace deal, Podolia and Saratow improve my lines of communication while the other provinces open another border with Ryazan, a short term target.

Chagatai warns us – 28th October 1797

Am I the only person who feels the ruler of the Chagatai Khanate should be Chaka Khan?

This also changes the objectives of a peace deal with the Timurid Empire as the four province Khanate is a prime candidate for OPMification.

Sweden has just taken the NI Espirit d’Corps…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

I have to a great extent ignored the domestic picture as I find it hard to pay attention once I enter the end game. Very few things now will pay off before the end. Also the level of micromanagement is very high. The first two months against Sweden saw me pausing every day to check movement directions and times. I’ve also spent several hours looking at a paused game trying to work out optimum approaches to maximising diplomats.

Missionaries – I’m continuing to send these mainly now to islands in the Caribbean and the provinces that make up modern Colombia.

Colonists – Only the Siberian interior is uncolonised and I’m pushing hard to settle the area. The next world map (1800) will show progress. The Timurids are also moving into Siberia from the Russian end. I now generate four colonists a year, one by national idea the other three by coastal COTs. Useful as I convert at least one a year into a Conquistador.

Trade – There are now a lot of low value COTs but at 20 Prestige to destroy I can’t afford it. The cost is a reduction in diplomat production and that’s a total no-no.

I am sending traders but it’s a hit and miss thing – I frequently forget and the targeting is haphazard. I’m generally managing to keep monopolies in the Americas but annexation is my preferred method of improving my trade position.

The Economy

eu3162.jpg

I’ve just realised how badly I’m suffering from a lack of naval presence, I’ve queued up another 100 or so ships down the Eastern Seaboard.

Once I’ve completed Land 53 I’ll probably just pour research into Production and Trade there isn’t much else to worry about.

I’ve ignored missions for the last couple of centuries, building a manufactory isn’t much fun when it costs 45201 ducats. I actually have so many Universities and Textile Manus that they don’t all display on screen.

Industrialisation

eu3163.jpg

Advisors

eu3164.jpg

I simply take what I can get, reinforce speed and revolt risk are both very good for a warmonger frenzy. The production guy is there because he’s the best of the rest.

Military

eu3165.jpg

Ideas and Policies

eu3166.jpg

This last one is one of my favourites…

eu3167.jpg

Ceterum censeo Castile esse delendam​

All those generals and Sweden still puts up a fight...O.O

Aaaah, Japan, Sweden, Manchu, Bohemia, Golden Horde are all bleeding!
Great job!
The world hates you until it dies!

Everyone, remember to vote in the ACA!

Were the Swedes at war with Denmark?
Does Sweden have MA with Denmark?
Is Sweden HRE or at war wit hte HRE and the provinces in question part of the HRE?

If the answer to the above is NO, what were Swedish troops doing there?

I look forward to the end of Castille.

FEEDBACK

demokratickid - SubtlAAR - groan, that's appalling!

comagoosie - The whole world is in a bit of a state right now :)

ColossusCrusher - The Swedish general was the only non Iroquois on that list...

Didaa- True, it's just a shame I couldn't get them to relocate somewhere silly.

Shiggs - Thank you - I very much enjoyed your Hamburg AAR, hope you start writing again soon.

Enewald - I think you're on to something there. They hate me,they die.

Kami - Absolutely!

aldriq - My Conquistadors are all pretty good as they only get recruited at 100% tradition. Castile annexed by an Iroquois conquistador? Actually unlikely as West Africa is too much of a backwater to have generals assigned. I still have Gustavian Infantry in service out there :eek:

kossmikman - I mint at about my monthly cost level - I have more than enough Tax Assessors to keep Inflation down to zero. Annual income is around 2500 ducats which generally gets spent each year.

Ships, yeah I need more, there's a few on order.

Chief Ragusa - The Swedes weren't at war with Denmark don't have MA and Denmark is HRE - so I have no idea what that Swedish army was doing.

Felius - Nice to see you like my little AAR :D

Chapter Sixty Five​

1st December 1797 Iroquois declares war on Ayutthaya, Castile and Chagatai both honour their warnings. Castile has fallen far, Chagatai is war leader. This is simply a chance to kill another OPM while clearing outstanding warnings. Chagatai has four provinces and can be reduced to OPM status. Castile has five provinces but this includes two non capital COTs so I may still be three wars from annexation.

3rd December, Iroquois declares war on Milan.

eu3168.jpg

Alone amongst the remaining AI powers Milan is not lucky. Their success shows how rich Northern Italy is and how you can prosper there if France doesn’t intervene. The war exhaustion figure shows the effects of their long war with the Ottomans.

January 1798 – Sweden disband their trapped army in Denmark – all of it. This promptly causes Pskov to declare war. A brave move at the best of times but particularly interesting when your capital is rebel occupied and the rebels besiege your only other province! From my point of view that’s very good, I’m at over 80% war score as Swedish provinces fall very quickly due to the inadequate level 2 fortifications.

Shortly afterwards...

Sweden’s navy defeated

eu3169.jpg

A costly victory but new ships are already building across the Atlantic.

Peace with Sweden – April 1798

eu3170.jpg

Denmark promptly annexes their vassal Bremen (in Brunswick) going back up to two provinces just before… May 1798 I’m just about to declare war on Gotland when the Swedish guarantee runs out! Let’s hope that the Swedes renew the guarantee very soon. Alas the Swedish war with Pskov includes Pskov’s ally, Manchu this war may take some time to resolve and until that happens the AI won’t undertake any new diplomatic ventures.

June 1798 – Ayutthaya annexed

July 1798 Land 53 and Iroquois adopts Espirit d’Corps as an eleventh National Idea. The extra 25% discipline should help against the advanced nations (Sweden, Milan and the Ottomans).

Peace with Japan – July 1798

eu3171.jpg

Japan has guaranteed two province Korea, the next war should be obvious.

Iroquois declares war on Korea - August 1798

eu3172.jpg

Japan is now so weak that two province Korea is war leader.

Peace with Taungu – August 1798

eu3173.jpg

You normally have to wait well over a year before the AI offers a good peace but it can be worthwhile. Taungu is now an OPM.

Battle of Karnten

eu3174.jpg

This theatre will determine the outcome of the war with Milan. These two armies were 49 Iroquois regiments against 43 Milanese. The other Iroquois army racing for Krain is 46 slightly under strength regiments. Due to arrive on the 21st it should get there ahead of the second Milanese force 20 regiments of cavalry due on the 22nd. The troops in Karnten will get here for the 22nd as well, the retreating Milanese on the 25th.

Occupied Goa defects on the 17th of August.

Battle of Krain

eu3175.jpg

Anticlimactic :mad:

Peace with the Timurids – October 1798

eu3176.jpg

This peace deal rips away all of the west coast of India, a single province blocking passage from the Tibetan plateau into India and a few provinces to provide better access to Chagatai territory. There’s still an awful lot of Timurid Empire out there. That shot still doesn’t show everything as they have some provinces in South India.

Post war India

eu3177.jpg

Peace with Manchu – December 1798

eu3178.jpg

Not a great peace deal but decent enough, an assortment of Manchu border provinces.

As the year heads towards its end I keep my current ruler, that Diplomatic 8 statistic is far too valuable to risk.

Current wars are:

Chagatai and Castile – 100% war score, both countries are completely occupied so I’m just waiting for peace offers.

Korea and Japan – 92% war score, Japan is completely occupied while the first assault on Okinawa failed. Korea will be fully occupied very soon as a second force is landing on Okinawa.

Milan – 70% war score, Milan’s army has been destroyed and a dozen provinces taken. My armies have run out of steam. Short of soldiers and morale it will be three to four months before the next push forward.

The Milan / Ottoman war ended with the Ottomans conceding cores and cash. Now that peace has returned the Golden Horde, the Timurids and the Ottomans are busy rebuilding their diplomatic position, with guarantees.

Ceterum censeo Castile esse delendam​

That would be a very good spy mission!