• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here I am. Busy as always (just bought a new flat - my first one!!! - and done some "homeworks" these weeks) but with some time to play EU2 (plus a new entry, American Conquest) ... I'm seriously committed with my Apulian AAR and even if really slowly, let's go on with a new half-century of information.

Facts & Stats 1650

A great part of the first half of the XVII century passed by under the government of the extravagant duke Raimondo III the Handsome (1604-1641), succeeded by his only son Carlo II. Quite disinterested in warfare and administration, the duke patronised arts and sciences notwithstanding the heavy control exercised over Italy by the Counter-Reformation. The growing revenues of fur trade (Apulia had become #1 worldwide in the industry) funded furhter colonisation and overseas activities, even if at a lower pace compared to the past decades, as well as a higher standard of life on the mainland territories.

Exploration of the North American continent was facilitated by the access through the Spanish territories and led to the uncovering of the extreme Pacific coast. Anyway, colonisation of that area didn't happen because of its remoteness. Instead, Nova Apulia (on the Atlantic side) had grown due to both increasing colonisation and some interesting gains from England and Denmark.

Commercial activities had been booming, with Apulian merchants representing in some way the "Dutch" of Catholic Europe, extremely involved in the centres of trade of Venice, Seville and Lisbon, with monopolistic positions gained from time to time in those strategic business hubs.

Apart from the cited colonial wars in America, warfare was limited to a brief conflict with France and Netherlands (1607-1608). Supported by Portugal and Spain (which would suffered heavy losses against the French), Raimondo III managed to gain Ancona and the surrounding province of Marche from France. In some way, Adriatic Sea could be considered an Apulian lake…

New military support to the colonies came from the young duke Carlo II, which had a much more warring character. In 1641 he promoted the building of a weapons manufactory (actually it was a blissful "unexpected invention" event) and personally directed a successful campaign against the fierce Hurons. Two years later their four provinces had been absorbed in the Nova Apulia region.

1643ir2.jpg

The following charts show the overall situation at the landmark year 1650:

In Europe.

1650bzj8.jpg

In North America.

1650ctb1.jpg

And the classic power chart, showing some new entries (Russia, Mughals), re-entries (Portugal), and - absent - fallen-angels (England, China).

1650rw6.jpg

That's the tale… moving to personal feelings, I'm enough satisfied of my game. My nation is doing extremely well in America, perhaps too much when compared to a sort of "rachitism" in Europe (just 3 provinces after 150+ years of campaign), and is becoming more and more technologically advanced and economically significant (28% of the income of the biggest nation, Spain). My problem is that my thin duchy is quite packed among France, Spain and Ottoman Empire, with no room for easy expansion in the peninsula or surrounding areas (don't forget I'm sticking with in-house rules that prevent me to grab easy – but illogical – preys in farther regions, apart my precious colony on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean). Thus, I'm still here, a minor European power with an interesting overseas empire…

Last edited:
Ahh, one of my favourite EU2 AARs gets another dose of life. Great to hear from you again Hastu Neon. American growth is, given the situation around the central Med, your only real option. It's a shame there are no events to mirror an independence movement out there in 100 years' time or so.

Ah this AAR is still around. :D Looking very impressive as always Hastu. Maybe some expansion into the med. islands is possible? From what I can see it looks like most of the greek island are owned by the OE? Fleets can do wonders against the AI sometimes and then there is always the Knights to grap land from. :D

Thanks guys. I've been playing other 25 years and relatively soon I'll be able to post the 1700 update.

A few comments on my expansion in Europe. It is really harmed by France and Ottoman Empire. The Big Blue Blob controls half of Italy (from Alps to Tuscany) and is astonishingly resembling in its borders those of Charlemagne empire. The Ottos have not expanded too much in the Mediterranean but crushed the Venetians and if I dowed them they would rapidly conquer Albania and land on my Italian domains with scarce possibilities for me to resist... AI Portugal and Spain (which I must use in my wars) have proven precious in the overseas warfare but useless in Europe. Another problem is the limited manpower of my provinces (all have <30.000 citizens). Anyway, you'll see an important addition in Italy in the next update, but now I don't want to spoil the surprise... and together with my increasing economic power maybe it can help in creating a regional power, taking a couple of provinces in the Mediterranean. Perhaps should I change alliances, switch to France and capture Sicily from the evil Spaniards?

Instead, some good grabbing of lands from England, Sweden and Denmark has enriched by Nova Apulia dominion of fertile provinces. Unfortunately I'm not able to mod and create events (only monarchs and leaders, :eek:o), I would really to simulate a USA-style colonial rebellion in the last years of the campaign.

Hastu Neon said:
Instead, some good grabbing of lands from England, Sweden and Denmark has enriched by Nova Apulia dominion of fertile provinces. Unfortunately I'm not able to mod and create events (only monarchs and leaders, :eek:o), I would really to simulate a USA-style colonial rebellion in the last years of the campaign.
Maybe it is possible to modify the USA revolt events to what you want? Modding the country files would help aswell. I'm sure people in the mod-forum would help you out. :)

At stnylan's recommendation, I took some time this morning to read through this AAR. Very impressive, Hastu Neon. Attention to detail and realistic playing has created a very enjoyable read. Good to see you back at it (especially after starting it just over a year ago.)

Nice growth in America and you've done well to survive with the Pope, Austria and the Turks doing so well so close to your homeland.

I just read through this and WOW! It's brilliant! Probably the best history book style AAR I've ever read.

Chapter 24: from a Duchy to a Kingdom. Carlo II's great deeds!

Carlo II's ruling period roughly spanned across the second third of the XVII century – and was particularly joyful. His flashy father had given birth to a completely different man, fully dedicated to the cause of war. His first attempts to conquer some military glory had mixed results. Apulia fought some colonial wars against England and Sweden with limited territorial gains that hardly counterbalanced the loss of some trading posts burnt by the enemy. Finally the long-awaited glory came with the war fought against the Papal States over the city of Naples.

Encircled by the mighty armies of Louis XIV, under Pope Alexander VII the Holy See was no more the threat that represented during the glorious years of Cesare Borgia. Carlo II had only to wait the right moment, which came with a casus belli in the early 1660s. After a mass conscription (the biggest ever recorded in decades, almost 10.000 men), the duke moved towards Naples in April 1664 without any significant interference from the papal troops. The siege lasted undisturbed one year until the surrender of the garrison in March 1665, just few months before the allied Spanish troops directly commanded by King Felipe IV conquered also the Eternal City. The peace treaty signed in January 1666 sanctioned the assignment to Carlo II of the city of Naples together with 125.000 ducats of indemnities (to be shared with the allies) and the royal ensigns once belonging to the Angevine and Aragonese kings. His full title was: "King of Naples, Duke of Apulia and Calabria, Defender of the Albanians and Lord of Ancona" (the territories of Nova Apulia were not a distinct entity from the homeland). Consistently with the tradition of his predecessors, he did not change its red and white coat of arms. Yet, Naples became the jewel of the country, because at that time was one of the biggest cities in Europe, with a population of over 340.000 inhabitants.

King Carlo II was also a careful administrator: to celebrate the conquest of Naples, he built a fine arts academy in Taranto for the huuuuuge expense of 930.000 ducats. Another unexpected invention gave birth to the second weapon manufactory of Nova Apulia in the province of Hochelaga. With regard to the navy, around the mid-'600s Apulian fleet, even if small in numerical terms, had reached an advanced level of technology, among the highest in Europe. With the invention of more and more sophisticated navigation instruments, sight range at sea was dramatically increased, enhancing – together with a regular exchange of maps with the loyal Portuguese allies – the discovery of new lands beyond the vast oceans and the possibility to reach the most distant (and profitable) centres of trade. For decades Apulian merchants held a monopolistic position in Copetonas, Sacramento and North American markets. When Carlo II died childless in 1674, a great king disappeared…

1674dz8.jpg

The snapshot hereunder would give you a hint about the "national ideas" which have been driving the newly established kingdom during the last years of Carlo II's reign...

1674bnk2.jpg

Finally, but most importantly, I would like to thank you, old and new readers, for the continuous support to my story.

Childess? I only hope that does not presage too much disorder. Who is the natural heir?

His brother Giuseppe (I), which is 50 years old when succeeds Carlo II and has only daughters... :eek:

Hastu Neon said:
His brother Giuseppe (I), which is 50 years old when succeeds Carlo II and has only daughters... :eek:
So long as the resulting succession war is well written and interesting, I have no qualms about it happening. :D

Oh and your ascent to power as a great nation has finally been completed with your recognition as a king. Great work!

Chapter 25: the succession crisis

In 1674 Carlo II died, leaving no children, thus the crown of Apulia passed to his younger brother Giuseppe I who ruled for 16 years. He inherited a strong country but – being not so versed as his elder brother – basically well-administered Carlo's legacy. Actually, Giuseppe had to manage a single challenging situation, the commercial and colonial war against France.

The conflict was produced by the trade embargo declared by Paris in 1681, followed by the offensive conduct maintained by Louis XIV with the Apulian envoy sent after four years of restrictions to settle the quarrel. Giuseppe I, even if old and sick, let his general plan with patience their moves. Before declaring war to France, he waited for:
  • new training tactics and improved weapons brought by the Baroque military advisors [simply, land level 26 with a better CRT],
  • the possibility to deploy in the sharpest way the troops in Nova Apulia,
  • the development of trading posts into permanent colonies to avoid their burning
A so-well prepared war couldn't last too much. After the declaration of war in September 1687, Apulian armies invaded all French territories in North America, which lied undefended against the raids of the more experienced Apulian colonial forces. After few months of debacles, a peace treaty was signed in Manhattan. Even if not dramatic in demographic terms (the French gave up a community of roughly 3.000 people in Micmac and a colony in Tuscaloosa which slightly surpassed 400 units), the peace treaty sanctioned the definitive change of leadership in North America. And also Portugal benefited from the war with the gain of the Indian province of Cochin.

Giuseppe's health started to get worse just after the end of the war and left him blind and ailing in a bed. The kingdom survived in a inertial status until his death in December 1690, when the situation was complicated by the succession troubles: he had only daughters and only one of them had a male offspring, the young Giuseppe II. Giuseppe I had appointed him as legitimate heir to the throne but chose also a Regency Council composed by 13 of the most notable figures of Taranto to rule during his minority (which would end in 1702).

1690gs3.jpg

Economic situation and budget of the Kingdom of Apulia at Giuseppe I's death

The period under the Regency Council was relatively eventless, but would leave a poisoned fruit for the cadet royal branch initiated by Giuseppe II: a collegial practice of power by a number of people not belonging to the royal family, just a faint copy of similar trend in northern countries but nonetheless a radical change, as shown by the once-impossible-to-believe war against the Ottoman Empire. A 2-year conflict, which could be forgotten for the secondary gains (the conquest of Kosovo) but remembered for the "audaciousness" of the powers retained by the Regency Council: never in the history of the duchy/kingdom anyone but the Duke/King had declared war or conscripted armies…

1694jf6.jpg

After the annexation of the Mamluk Caliphate, the Regency Council would declare war against
the Ottoman usurper and take the province of Kosovo as war prey

Which country would find Giuseppe II in his majority age? Next update will show the 1700 situation...

Ahh, so Apulia slowly starts to move away from strict monarchical government. Very interesting.

It seems as soon as Apulia reached the heights of its medieval past they must be thrust into the modern world. At least they have done so with a statement war with the Turks. I remain impressed that your smaller country can do so wel against such larger neighbors. Good planning I suspect is a great part of it.

Thanks stnylan & coz1. I must admit that Apulian army is really a poor "David" against the mighty Sultan's army. they usually keeps few troops near the borders, thus what I try is to take a couple of lvl-1 fortress provinces as soon as possible (Kosovo, Athens, Morea are the nearest to my bases), wait for some Spanish or Portuguese naval victory to increase war score and then ask for 1 or 2 provinces...

The problem that I'm getting only wrong-culture and religion pieces of land which cannot be released as vassal or can be released as a single-province vassal rapidly prey of the cruel Ottos.

I hope to onload later today the 1700 update, bye.

You can win a war against the Ottoman Empire? Congrats.

Facts & Stats 1700

Finally some spare time to post few screenies to update on 1700 situation...
Let's start from Europe, basically split between France and Austria as always, countebalanced by two alliances of second-ranking powers: the Spanish/Portuguese/Apulian in the South and the league between England/Sweden/Brandeburg in the North. I must say it's not so unrealistic as diplomatic scenario of that period!!!

1700euzv3.jpg

Moving to North America, four European powers have partitioned the continent in almost equal parts. South America is not shown: it's the classical Spanish Yellow/Portuguese Green patchwork...

1700naoa8.jpg

Moving to Middle East, see the expansion of the Ottoman Empire (which we have been able to beat again, gaining the province of Kosovo) along the Southern side of the Mediterranean and far beyond Hercules' Pillars. And also the Ak Koyunlu BWB is behaving very well...

1700mexl9.jpg

... as also the Mughal Empire stretching from the cold Afgan mountains to hot waters of the Bengal Sea...

1700ashb5.jpg

And now, some economics. The graph show the eight biggest countries (size is income, you should know, now) in 1500 and 1700. Apulia has grown from an insignificant status to a mid-power ranking:
  • the income is slightly more than half of the Spanish one (No. 1)
  • economic progress (trade+infra) is huge vs. the other great powers
  • Apulian fleet is the most advanced and carries merchants to gain monopolies in the most exotic centres of trade in the world, the army is small but well trained as well (even if the most advanced is the Habsburgs')
  • Apulia is 6th for VPs (1092), with some possibility to catch up to the 3rd place within 1819. France (2388) and Spain (1709) seem unreachable
graphsb7.jpg

France is WAY too big for comfort. Do you have anything planned regarding an “updated” war of Spanish Succession? It would be a perfect opportunity to trim down the Big Blue Blob.

A good review. I agree, with the Spanish Succession on the horizon France looks very threatening.

Nope, at least for the moment. France is waaay too strong for me and an attack needs a lot of preparation. One of the secrets for the successful Apulian duk... ehm, kings has been careful picking of enemies in difficult situations. This strategy granted the additional provinces in Italy and Balkans and some tasteful colonies in America. And now we are not ready for France, perhaps in the future...