• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hooray for boob... euh... financial statistics!!:D

Pardon my ignorance of Crovanian law, but what exactly are the rules of succession if…say…the presumed heir were to be disowned for some reason and/or suffer an inglorious end in an outhouse?

Update is brilliant as usual. I'm loving the character Asta. She's just brutal. I'm guessing/hoping/assuming that she'll be the one inheriting after all? That would be an interesting reign. Following Erik's rather straight-forward realm to gain supremacy, and assuming he continues his badassery until he dies, I caould see all of Europe, nay the world, fearing the machinations of Queen Asta.

phargle: yeah, Erik's great

Murmurandus: Action! Adventure! Accounting!

Rastar and Kommunaut: The succession!

Well, succession in Crovania is tricky. The old Empire, pre Kolbein, was semi-Salic Primogenature, but Kolbein reformed the entire Imperial structure, so there is no ancient tradition here and, with no cousins to possibly inherit, well, if something were to happen to Hakon or his children's claims (assuming they don't father children), then Asta's line could pick up the legitimate lineage.

As for titles, just an FYI: the Heir to the Throne is always Duke of the Western Isles, the first Crovan title. Others in line are Dukes (Duke of Scotland, Duke of Pomerania, etc). Lord of the North was a new title, created just for Erik, but he held it as heir to the throne and did not give it to Hakon.

Enewald: Oh I can't wait for those!

demokratickid: Thanks!

1496-1501: Who is the babydaddy?

Erik I “The Spyder” Kolbeinsson Crovan

Emperor of the Crovan Empire

KErikCap.jpg

The Holstein War, or, Seigmund Loses His Head
(12 December 1496 – 16 June 1501)

0123.jpg

Having followed Seigmund’s advice and bribed Crovania back into England’s good graces, we are now secure from one threat. Now, we can think of strengthening the German lands.

0124.jpg

And Milan, having converted to Calvinism, leaving our beloved mother Church behind, would have made an excellent target for a ‘Holy War.’ Except that the Bohemians have decided to back them. Still. I am primed for a war, so someone will fall.

0125.jpg

The King of Bohemia just gave me a new Holy War. I shall send him a fruit basket in thanks. Holstein’s allies, Athens and Cyprus, backed her, but really, this little dust-up was never in doubt.

0126.jpg

I only mobilized 3 Divisions in Germany, one for each of Holstein’s scattered lands.

0127.jpg

And for the Mediterranean? I only sent the Marine Division. This is really the playground of my allies, Sicily and the Pope.

0128.jpg

The Audunites took advantage of this war to spread their numbers across Northern Germany, especially in Vorpommern and Luneberg. Apparently, they are hopeful this ‘Crusade’ against Heretic Holstein just might be the Crusade Christ was looking for, or at least that is what they are telling the new recruits.

The Olafites made some progress as well in Norway. Once again, I know there is a way to subvert this to our own ends. I just need to figure out how.

0129.jpg

William published a poem entitled “The Battle of Oresund.” It gained rather wide currency in Europe and netted us a great deal of prestige. It should be noted that he clearly lied about the details. Not that there is nothing exciting about sinking a pair of fishing boats with a battle fleet, but still.

0130.jpg

Of course, every war has its negative side, for example when an entire fleet sank in the Eastern Mediterranean and I had to send the Baltic Fleet all the way to the Levant to rescue the Marine Division, but on the whole, a nice little war all around.

0131.jpg

Which netted me some lands I wanted,

0132.jpg

And a little cash.

AstaEriksdottir.jpg

Erik’s revere was interrupted by a baby’s squalling. Asta burst into the room, holding a newborn infant at arm’s length. She was ‘glistening’ with sweat and the baby was covered in blood and filth. There was quite a lot of blood. “Well now father, this changes everything.” She stood, defiantly, a look of cold triumph in her eyes.

KingErik.jpg

Erik regarded his daughter and the child for a moment, chewing quietly on his lip. “What the devil are you talking about Asta? The child was a complete surprise. He’d thought his daughter had just grown thick about the middle.

AstaEriksdottir.jpg

Asta held the screaming infant in the air, carefully avoiding anything dripping on her gown, “this is my son,” she bellowed, “an heir worthy of the Crovan throne, an heir worthy to rule!” She strode to her father’s side. He leaned away from the child. “Now, father, don’t you see? You can disinherit my fool brother. If I cannot rule, let my son rule! I shall guide his actions for the greater glory of the Crovan Empire!”

KingErik.jpg

Erik had always heard that new mothers could be a bit wild, hysterical if you will, in the aftermath of a childbirth. This was why he made certain to be hundreds of miles away when his own children were born. Erik assumed this was the only possible explanation for this obvious blunder on Asta’s part. “My dear, who is the father?” His words were spoken almost sympathetically.

AstaEriksdottir.jpg

Asta lowered the child. “Earl Seigmund, father. I guess we worked a little too close together during the investigations.” She shrugged, “but as a nobleman, he is a worthy parent for a future Emperor.” She leaned in, almost conspiratorially, “no one knows he is the father, we wanted to present him to you first.”

KingErik.jpg

Erik rubbed his forehead and sighed. “No, Asta, he is not a worthy father. The child is not a Crovan at all. He is a Shultz. And not just a Shultz, but the Bastard son of a Shultz. He can’t even be Seigmund’s heir, let alone mine.”

AstaEriksdottir.jpg

Asta was crushed. She set the child down on the table and then sat herself. “I knew that, father. I just got too excited. I knew that.” She sighed. Her plans were undone. She was now a ruined woman. She had no hope.

KingErik.jpg

Erik leaned forward and patted her shoulder. “Now, now dear Asta. Your plans are undone, but they were rather terrible plans anyway. I cannot name your son my heir, but I am certain this can be turned to your advantage.” Erik regarded the child. His face grimaced. “Can you do something with that, the sound is quite bothersome.” Then he smiled. “What is the boy’s name?”

AstaEriksdottir.jpg

“Well, Seigmund wanted to call him Seigmund, Jr.” Asta picked up the child and covered his mouth slightly, muffling the cries and bringing peace to the room. “But I was thinking Dan would be a good name. It is a lucky name for Kings and Poets.” Asta mused as she looked at her son, “perhaps we can make it a lucky name for an Emperor.”

KingErik.jpg

Erik nodded. Full-Dan had been a great poet, but as an emperor? Not so much. “Now then, first, I shall give Dan my old title: Lord of the North. Second, I shall have the guards dispatch Seigmund at once and without trial, for treason during the last war. He is not a suitable match, if you want great things for your son. Third, we shall call the boy Dan Astasson Crovan. If the need ever arises, choose a father then.” Erik leaned back in his chair. “There you go Asta, I have turned this catastrophe to your advantage. What will you do with it?”

Poor Seigmund. One day, father of the Emperor's Grandson. The next, beheaded while on the toilet as a cowardly traitor. Will Asta turn this to her advantage, or will she accidently smother the lad? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan 2: The World Is Way Too Much!

Reactions:
That was unexpected... and noisy too...:D

1502-1504: Yet Another War

Erik I “The Spyder” Kolbeinsson Crovan

Emperor of the Crovan Empire

KErikCap.jpg

William Frobisher’s Magnum Opus
(4 February 1502 – 28 October 1504)

Speech1.jpg

0133.jpg

As part of Great Erik’s master plan, Crovania laid claim to Vastergotland,
Which Hungarians did hold dear.

The Bohemian King heard our claims bold and assured,
And so offered Hungary protection.

0134.jpg

With allies in stride we never did hide,
And so with Bohemia we warred.

Battles did rage across Europe’s whole stage,
Great Erik proved master in arms.

0135.jpg

Milan did soon find Bohemia’s alliance unkind,
The greedy King turned upon his own ally.

Through both winter and fall, we battled them all,
By December our armies were shaken.

Division Constaninople was crushed to rise no more,
Replacements they could not be found.

0136.jpg

By 1503 Erik’s foes cackled with glee,
They thought mighty Crovan was bowed.

Erik fought with his mind and hired mercenaries unkind,
To inflict violence on his foes.

0137.jpg

The spun out of control, and church bells stopped their toll,
For the chaos was thick and confusing.

The court started to quake calling for peace at any stake,
But Great Erik continued unbowed.

0138.jpg

Then Milan did break, allowing Erik to take,
Hamburg which tightened his hold.

Vastergotland then fell and fortune did tell,
Mighty Erik that this war would be won.

0139.jpg

When Vastergotland surrendered, the Hungarians then ended,
Their role in this long drawn out war.

Pskov did back out as well, no longer thrall to Hungary’s will.
They did welcome Erik’s Christian mercy.

0140.jpg

Bohemia stood alone and Erik prepared to drive home,
A steak into that foul nation’s heart.

When Sardinia did rise and compromise,
Our victory with a vile assault.

The Erlend-Crovans, their base envy showin,
Did try and topple noble Aslak’s brood.

0141.jpg

The vaunted army Erik built was broken and their blood all spilt,
Only remnants remained, but still their hearts beat true.

For Viking blood and Viking ways will always come and save the days,
As soon the assembled enemies would learn.

0142.jpg

By fall of 1503, the armies of all were broken to see,
Now hundreds fought where thousands fought before.

Yet through it all the foes did fall,
Erik’s determination did not ever yield.

0143.jpg

Through New Year fighting and delighting,
In the exhausted peasants uprising.

Crovan serfs, their spirits broken posed as troubles only a token,
While Greece and Mecklenburg we forced to peace.

0144.jpg

Their allies fled and soldiers dead,
Sardinian dreams of conquest did quite end.

The Erlend-Crovans constant gro-ans,
Could be heard as they made peace as well.

0145.jpg

With other foes beaten back Erik now could attack,
The Bohemians, a trembling in their boots.

0146.jpg

And now the might Esben Leifsson loaded Aslak’s Division unbeaten,
And landed troops in the Bohemian King’s back.

They stormed inland, and army quite grand,
Up till now they’d been saved for this moment.

0147.jpg

Bohemia was routed their King sat and pouted,
For now he knew he was truly beaten.

Erik’s firm hand did sweep over the land,
And restored Crovan Honour once more.

0148.jpg

Now Jiri II did shew,
Himself brow-beaten too.

Giving up Nordic plans and surrendering the Finn-lands,
To a War Lord superior to all.

Speech2.jpg

Speech.jpg

Speech3.jpg

And now, the first clash of Bohemia and Crovania has occurred, with Erik coming out on top. But what of Hakon? And Asta? And what about William? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan 2: The World Is Way Too Much!

Reactions:
Hello, Alfred Packer!

It's been quite some time since I last commented on your AARs and actually it's also been a long time since I've last been able to read them.

For the past months I've been busy preparing for my Bar examination (no, not the one with the funny drinks). Now that I've passed them I'll go back to my regular AAR-reading schedule minus some extra time for my family.

Since I don't comment until I've caught up with an AAR (this post is an exception), it may be a while until you hear from me again. So long and keep the updates coming!

demokratickid: Hooray!

Kommunaut: Thanks :)

Sokraates: Congrats on passing the bar! And glad to have you back reading!

Berrie: I can't really recall what it was (it was high...Bohemia had warned me, they weren't actually Hungary's allies - and Sardinia piling on feld 'bad-boy warrish') I remember seeing it at 17.5/25 at one point, but it went up some.

Murmurandus: As you wish

Enewald: okay, here are two mustaches, just attached to beards!