• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You get 80% of content if you don't want to be "exploited". That's pretty okay I think.
You're right - we can go ahead and enjoy the free content. But there is guilt associated with that free content. (I don't really hold much with that position, I was taking the role of devil's advocate) But, I am digressing.

Free content = good
Getting premium content for paying for everyone else's free content = not as good
Feeling like you're paying too much for content you want = not good.

Playing as Muslims was never a main feature of the game.

But in a game based around the crusades don't you think it should have been? The old system of full expansions was perfectly fine, they released large amounts of content at good prices and everyone was happy. I understand that they are a company and are out to make video games as well as make money, but as a consumer I don't have to be happy with whatever actions they take. I am not happy with the steps towards DLC's Paradox is taking, who knows in the end it might end up fine and all of this will have been for nothing, but for now I will voice my opinion because this is a discussion of DLC vs Full expansions as MrTaxman said.

If you feel it is not worth 10 bucks then don't get the DLC you get most of the content. If, on the other end, you feel like it's worth buying since you help fund all that content then you're free to do it too.

Agh we will never see eye to eye. Frankly I already bought the SOI dlc, and do not think it was worth it. It certainly feels like paradox reneged on me by making me pay full price for the 20% of content, basically making me pay for the rest as well. You clearly do not see it that way and we are just repeating ourselves since we have a fundamental difference in ideas.

If you feel it is not worth 10 bucks then don't get the DLC you get most of the content. If, on the other end, you feel like it's worth buying since you help fund all that content then you're free to do it too.

I think it comes down to the feeling that "If they're just going to give it away, why should I pay for it?"
Whether you agree with that position or not, it still annoys some people greatly.

You're right - we can go ahead and enjoy the free content. But there is guilt associated with that free content.
What? If you feel guilty then I don't think the best way to let that guilt go is to complain on the forums.
Getting premium content for paying for everyone else's free content = Really good in my opinion. It's part buying and part donating I agree, but that's the whole point.

But in a game based around the crusades don't you think it should have been?
I don't agree. This game was originally based on the European experience of the crusades. SoI opened that up to include the Muslim experience.

What? If you feel guilty then I don't think the best way to let that guilt go is to complain on the forums.
Getting premium content for paying for everyone else's free content = Really good in my opinion. It's part buying and part donating I agree, but that's the whole point.

Yeah I certainly found our difference of opinion. I feel that Getting premium content for paying for everyone else's content = really bad. The videogame business isn't a freaking charity. Why should I pay for other people?

But "complaining" may help Paradox "fix" it if I think they've got it wrong.

If I may say this as an aside: I have no problem with showing the kind of largess you're willing to show. I think it's good and very nice of you. :)

Yeah I certainly found our difference of opinion. I feel that Getting premium content for paying for everyone else's content = really bad. The videogame business isn't a freaking charity. Why should I pay for other people?
You SHOULDN'T is that so hard to understand? Since it such a little part of the content that it's not worth 10 bucks in your opinion then you don't pay for it, and you still have a ton of free content.

But in a game based around the crusades don't you think it should have been? The old system of full expansions was perfectly fine, they released large amounts of content at good prices and everyone was happy. I understand that they are a company and are out to make video games as well as make money, but as a consumer I don't have to be happy with whatever actions they take. I am not happy with the steps towards DLC's Paradox is taking, who knows in the end it might end up fine and all of this will have been for nothing, but for now I will voice my opinion because this is a discussion of DLC vs Full expansions as MrTaxman said.
The reason they changed from full expansions was because large amounts of people weren't happy. They didn't like that to play Divine Wind you had to purchase all the expansions before it. They didn't like that different expansions couldn't play with each other over multiplayer. And they especially didn't like that every previous version became unsupported when a new expo was released. With the change to DLC they remedy all of that.

That was the last thread, lets not bring it up again
Yes, it was discussed in the last thread, but it is at the heart of his argument.

Yes, I do think they should be playable. But I won't pretend that Paradox is obligated to make them so or that it's somehow a "promised" feature they shouldn't be allowed to charge for.

I'm not saying they shouldn't charge for it, I would just rather have a full fledged expansion rather than continued DLC's.

But "complaining" may help Paradox "fix" it if I think they've got it wrong.

If I may say this as an aside: I have no problem with showing the kind of largess you're willing to show. I think it's good and very nice of you. :)
It's not even largess than being willing to pay for continued game support on a game I enjoy. Don't you like it when CKII get tons of patches regularly? Yeah that cost money.

The reason they changed from full expansions was because large amounts of people weren't happy. They didn't like that to play Divine Wind you had to purchase all the expansions before it. They didn't like that different expansions couldn't play with each other over multiplayer. And they especially didn't like that every previous version became unsupported when a new expo was released. With the change to DLC they remedy all of that.
I'll freely admit that I do like that aspect of DLCs - but they cost too much vs the cost of "full" expansions.

Yes, it was discussed in the last thread, but it is at the heart of his argument.

I was under the impression that the heat of this argument was the quantity and the price of the content. Not what the content actually was or whether the content should have been included in the base game.

It's not even largess than being willing to pay for continued game support on a game I enjoy. Don't you like it when CKII get tons of patches regularly? Yeah that cost money.
True. Very true.

I was under the impression that the heat of this argument was the quantity and the price of the content. Not what the content actually was or whether the content should have been included in the base game.
*his* (i.e. DarkSpartan's) argument - not *this* thread :D