• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
DLC being destructive is a valid reason in the discussion of "DLC vs Full expansions" you just described.
You are bringing up companies (EA, etc) that are manifestly not Paradox. I am also not calling them destructive, I am merely proffering the opinion that I believe "Full" vs "DLC" is preferrable to the players - not a better business model.

No that's called altruism, if YOU want to help PI continue develop content for CKII then you are free to do, if you do not want you get free content, how in the hell is that exploitation?

It is not altruism. I would much rather pay 2 dollars for the 20% I paid for. Paying 10 dollars for 100% of the content and people who don't pay get 8 dollars worth of content for free is CRAP.

You've both made your points. Can we move on now?

Condescending much? I thought this was a civil discussion? I attempt to make a point and instead I'm met with responses of "you left your oven on under the bridge". Stay classy guys you really are showing civility.

No that's called altruism, if YOU want to help PI continue develop content for CKII then you are free to do, if you do not want you get free content, how in the hell is that exploitation?
He said "Feels like exploitation" which is not the same thing. It can feel wrong even if it is happening to someone else.

It is not altruism. I would much rather pay 2 dollars for the 20% I paid for. Paying 10 dollars for 100% of the content and people who don't pay get 8 dollars worth of content for free is CRAP.
That's selfish as hell, you are not obligated to pay, Paradox obviously direct it to people who wants to fund more content. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY AND YOU STILL GET CONTENT. Is that clear enough?

Condescending much? I thought this was a civil discussion? I attempt to make a point and instead I'm met with responses of "you left your oven on under the bridge". Stay classy guys you really are showing civility.
I am sorry you felt I was being condescending. I did not mean it in that way at all. Unfortunately the written word only has so much power to convey meaning... it completely lacks nuance.

I meant that you and he should knock it off and stop sniping at each other. Does that come off as preferrable?

He said "Feels like exploitation" which is not the same thing. It can feel wrong even if it is happening to someone else.
WHO is exploited exactly? The person who knowingly paid for content in order to fund more content? The guy who gets free content? I don't see exploitation here.

That's selfish as hell, you are not obligated to pay, Paradox obviously direct it to people who wants to fund more content. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY AND YOU STILL GET CONTENT. Is that clear enough?

It's clear we have a difference in opinion at the base level. I want to pay for that extra 20% of content, it's NOT worth 100% of the cost. If I want that 20% I am OBLIGATED to pay for the 80% they had already given me for free.

I don't think anyone is arguing that free content is good. I think the argument is that free content, paid for by a few who get "premium" content, doesn't seem worth it to some of us.

You are bringing up companies (EA, etc) that are manifestly not Paradox. I am also not calling them destructive, I am merely proffering the opinion that I believe "Full" vs "DLC" is preferrable to the players - not a better business model.

And I am arguing that DLC isn't preferable to players because it is destructive and I used EA and Activision as examples of this. DLC's started as mini expansions but now those two companies are prime examples of what it leads too. Main plot quests become unavailable unless you purchase a DLC for example. Now what happens when Paradox decides to start selling off main features of a game as DLC's? Like playing as the Muslims during the crusades? Oh wait they already did that. I am just saying that DLC's bring in more money and companies are releasing less developed products so that they can release DLC's in the future, the bad thing is these less developed products are still the same price as they would have been 4 or 5 years ago.

It's cool if you don't want to pay you have 80% of the content. So if you feel scammed you can still get content.

WHO is exploited exactly? The person who knowingly paid for content in order to fund more content? The guy who gets free content? I don't see exploitation here.
The person who paid for the full content, as opposed to receiving free content only. I admit, the person who paid may not (as in your case) feel like it is exploitation, but some of us view it as exploitation all the same.

I don't think anyone is arguing that free content is good. I think the argument is that free content, paid for by a few who get "premium" content, doesn't seem worth it to some of us.
Then don't buy it if you think it's not worth it, you get free content anyway. The system is built around that.

It's cool if you don't want to pay you have 80% of the content. So if you feel scammed you can still get content.

As I said, what is ridiculous is that when I buy that last 20 percent they force you to pay for the 80% they had already given for free. Either that or the 20% is really worth the full 10 bucks (its not).

The person who paid for the full content, as opposed to receiving free content only. I admit, the person who paid may not (as in your case) feel like it is exploitation, but some of us view it as exploitation all the same.
You get 80% of content if you don't want to be "exploited". That's pretty okay I think.

Then why would you respond to my post? You don't agree with what I said so you just called me a troll. You are a shining example of most (not saying all) of the people in the thread that shall not be named, and most of this forum. You are "informed enough" yet you make no counter points, instead just calling me a troll. Please unless you have something constructive to say or add to this thread, don't post in it.

I make no counter points because you are off topic and i dont want to derail the thread. Another thing i didnt like was you insinuating that my position on this is based on ignorance. In fact i feel i heard enough to make up my mind just fine. If really want to discuss this feel free to send me a private message.

Yes my free will lets me choose to complain about what I feel is wrong.
If you feel it is not worth 10 bucks then don't get the DLC you get most of the content. If, on the other end, you feel like it's worth buying since you help fund all that content then you're free to do it too.