• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Balors comment in some other thread seemed to imply that the DLCs are selling quite well, which makes me look forward to much more free stuff to come :).

He was also saying that SoI (including the free patch) contained as much new stuff as some of the "bigger" expansions you mention you prefer.

I am wondering if it is really quite as much, but maybe our vision really is skewed a little by the division between patch and DLC ? A lot of new content might be in the form of events, too. Did anyone check how many new ones there are ?

Balors comment in some other thread seemed to imply that the DLCs are selling quite well, which makes me look forward to much more free stuff to come :).

He was also saying that SoI (including the free patch) contained as much new stuff as some of the "bigger" expansions you mention you prefer.

I am wondering if it is really quite as much, but maybe our vision really is skewed a little by the division between patch and DLC ? A lot of new content might be in the form of events, too. Did anyone check how many new ones there are ?

I've honestly come to see 1.06 and SoI as the same bloody thing. You just pay an extra $10 for fancy-schmancy Mohammedans, so your last point is probably accurate.

And yeah, SoI is selling pretty darned well I'd say. It's on the first page of the Steam top-sellers list.

I think that the DLCs are selling well (I remember reading that comment, too) - but I believe that is because players are content hungry, not necessarily because they like the format in which they get the content.

I think that the DLCs are selling well (I remember reading that comment, too) - but I believe that is because players are content hungry, not necessarily because they like the format in which they get the content.
If they buy it on Steam, what is the difference?

edit: I mean between calling it a boxed expansion and a DLC?

Because MrTaxman made a thread to thank paradox because a previous thread had insulting comments.

NOTE: I am explaining what I believe to be his thought process not voicing my own opinion.
The thought process you read correctly. However, fanboy is considered a condescending remark about someone who just *loves* everything done by X. X=PDox in this case, and I don't *love* everything they do, ergo I=/=fanboy.

But this is pointless digression. I (and I believe others) would prefer the next expansion not be composed of a DLC and a patch. But I do appreciate the good game. That is my point.

Paradrone sounds like a legal high.

I think he meant in the manner the expansion delivered content. Since it shipped with 1.06, which included a bunch of features as well, it seems like you're getting a lot less for your $10. Which subsequently makes SoI look like an overpriced mini-DLC. I'm not inclined to agree with that view point, but I think that's what a few people are going on about.

By format I mean DLC vs "full" expansion - I don't mean Gamersgate v Steam.

I think he meant in the manner the expansion delivered content. Since it shipped with 1.06, which included a bunch of features as well, it seems like you're getting a lot less for your $10. Which subsequently makes SoI look like an overpriced mini-DLC.
Yes, NezzeOne has encapsulated my argument well.

An expansion would be something that revitalizes the entire content of the game in a very significant way. I would say that this new muslim release is between a DLC and an Expansion since I see DLC as stuff like the little music and sprite releases and I see Expansions as stuff like HttT and DW. This dlc/expansion hybrid has a bit of content, but PRIMARILY is for muslims.

I can't really debate further because I don't know what specifications there are between DLC and Expansions

Incidentally I keep forgetting part of the "DLC" was released as free content, so I suppose the actual DLC is rather small.

For me (and PDox seems to hold a different definition):
DLC - some new features or sprites or music, etc
Expansion - HTTT/DW style - new music AND new features AND...

So I think a DLC should be limited to cosmetic changes and expansion should (potentially) include cosmetic changes, as well as increased content.

I think he meant in the manner the expansion delivered content. Since it shipped with 1.06, which included a bunch of features as well, it seems like you're getting a lot less for your $10. Which subsequently makes SoI look like an overpriced mini-DLC. I'm not inclined to agree with that view point, but I think that's what a few people are going on about.
Yeah, it does. It's a shame really because it is an awesome business model for us.
By format I mean DLC vs "full" expansion - I don't mean Gamersgate v Steam.
Yeah, but it would be exactly the same de facto.

An expansion would be something that revitalizes the entire content of the game in a very significant way. I would say that this new muslim release is between a DLC and an Expansion since I see DLC as stuff like the little music and sprite releases and I see Expansions as stuff like HttT and DW. This dlc/expansion hybrid has a bit of content, but PRIMARILY is for muslims.

I can't really debate further because I don't know what specifications there are between DLC and Expansions

Incidentally I keep forgetting part of the "DLC" was released as free content, so I suppose the actual DLC is rather small.
But don't SoI + 1.6 do exactly that?

On the sprite + music thing. It is there, but you do not have to pick if you do not want it. This benefits us. Else the price would likely have been 15 euros and not 14 euros for the whole set.

Yeah, it does. It's a shame really because it is an awesome business model for us.
The way I see it people don't like having free content coupled with an expansion to help the devs and get some features. They would prefer having all the feature in the expansion and none as a free patch.

The way I see it people don't like having free content coupled with an expansion to help the devs and get some features. They would prefer having all the feature in the expansion and none as a free patch.
In a way, that is exactly what I want. It sounds crazy, and perhaps it is, but that way I know it will do what it says on the tin - as opposed to looking at a DLC and having to say "Oh, it only has some of the features I wanna pay for, but the free download doesn't have other stuff that the DLC does have." I'd rather get it all in one whack.

Yes, but that's what blows my mind. I just cannot wrap my head around it.

But don't SoI + 1.6 do exactly that?

Mmmmm....

I wouldn't exactly compare 1.06 + SoI to HttT or DW. Those had super drastic changes like an updated map, CBs, nations, decisions, ect. ect. on a much larger scale than that of CK2.

But also take into consideration that HttT and DW (probably) took a significantly longer time to develop than either 1.06 or SoI, so I guess it evens out/is proportional.

If that is indeed also the OP's concern then i would like to offer my opinion. I think that while SoI+Patch indeed seems a little smaller we have to remember that Paradox has already planned 4 of this kind of DLC. It is true that core gameplay upgrades can only be part of the free patch parts of those DLCs.

But the 4 free patch parts combined could enable a "renewal" like that even if the individual ones dont.

And the nice thing is that it will be completely free for everyone.